The Music Video Mini-List

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
BenoitRouilly

Re: The Music Video Mini-List

#126 Post by BenoitRouilly » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:48 pm

zedz wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:30 pm
At the time the video for 'Sign 'o' the Times' was arresting - and that's the first one I thought of - but now it just looks like an antique screen saver.
Sign 'o' the Times

I still like it a lot, but there were already better text-based videos around, like R.E.M.'s 'Fall on Me':
Fall on Me

I think this has held up a lot better, because the text delivery is simpler and the rest of the visual material more intriguing. On release, it gained a lot from its context, as the band famously refused to lipsync for their videos (and continued to do so for many years), didn't print their lyrics, and Michael Stipe was notorious for rendering a lot of his lyrics incomprehensible, so this video was both a breakthrough and an elaborate hedge.

I guess this is another music video 'family tree', stretching back to Dylan's 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' (which I'd definitely be including if I thought it were eligible).
Subterranean Homesick Blues

Any other favourite videos where the lyrics are literally the star?
I've got two typography based animation :
JUSTICE - DVNO (2008) / director Yorgo Tloupas
ALEX GOPHER - The Child (1999) / director Antoine Bardou-Jacquet

thirtyframesasecond

#127 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:00 pm

BenoitRouilly wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:48 pm
zedz wrote:
At the time the video for 'Sign 'o' the Times' was arresting - and that's the first one I thought of - but now it just looks like an antique screen saver.
Sign 'o' the Times

I still like it a lot, but there were already better text-based videos around, like R.E.M.'s 'Fall on Me':
Fall on Me

I think this has held up a lot better, because the text delivery is simpler and the rest of the visual material more intriguing. On release, it gained a lot from its context, as the band famously refused to lipsync for their videos (and continued to do so for many years), didn't print their lyrics, and Michael Stipe was notorious for rendering a lot of his lyrics incomprehensible, so this video was both a breakthrough and an elaborate hedge.

I guess this is another music video 'family tree', stretching back to Dylan's 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' (which I'd definitely be including if I thought it were eligible).
Subterranean Homesick Blues

I've got two typography based animation :
JUSTICE - DVNO (2008) / director Yorgo Tloupas
ALEX GOPHER - The Child (1999) / director Antoine Bardou-Jacquet
The Justice video was done by So Me, who also did their video for D.A.N.C.E. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy1dYFGkPUE

Kanye then hired them for his video for Good Life - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEKEjpTzB0Q

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#128 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:12 pm

A text-y agitprop-y thing from the SWP band The Redskins (poor quality)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXo6jRGHgr4

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#129 Post by ando » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:02 pm

I completely forgot about Devo, who made a point of visualizing their music for mass consumption. Whip It, of course, was pointless (though apparently based on a true story of a former stunt man who married a stripper and settled on a farm where he ritually whipped the clothes off her body) and fun. I always felt it was about constructive accomplishment, not that sexual indulgence which many assumed the song suggested. For what would surely be a publicist's nightmare today, the Politically Incorrect video did ruffle a few feathers but MTV knew their primary demographic.

Whip It, Devo (1980, Devo)

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#130 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:46 pm

zedz wrote:
They're definitely one of the stars, along with other text, in Talking Heads' 1988 (Nothing But) Flowers, which is one of my favourites. The Heads were mentioned earlier. Love for Sale I always found fun as well.

Feego

#131 Post by Feego » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:44 pm

Like others around here, I don't particularly follow new music and rarely if ever know about newer videos. So here are some mainstream videos from the last few years that I've recently encountered:

Oh baby (LCD Soundsystem) - A sci-fi love story directed by Rian Johnson and starring Sissy Spacek and David Strathairn that addresses old age, death, existence, and what lies beyond. It works as a beautiful short film with predictably great work from the leads.

Elastic Heart (Sia) - This one elicited controversy when first released for what some perceived as uncomfortable sexual vibes between adult Shia LaBeouf and the child dancer. It's actually not meant to be sexual at all, but is rather an illustration of Sia's "warring" emotional state. While I can understand people jumping to that conclusion based on the intimacy of their dancing and the skimpiness of the costumes, I found the emotional force of the video by turns too anguished and tender for such a reading.

Two videos from last year engage directly with the impact of gun violence on the black community. One of these is also certainly the most talked about video of recent memory, Childish Gambino's This is America. Depicting two shootings with unflinching bluntness, the video is mesmerizing, filled with symbolism that has led to various interpretations and choreography seemingly designed to distract us from the violence surrounding it. Taking a different approach, the video for Prince's Mary Don't You Weep focuses on the aftermath of a shooting, showing the loss and mourning of the victim's family as his spirit watches helplessly from the sidelines. I was familiar with This Is America since it's premiere, but the (posthumous) Prince video was new to me. They definitely make interesting companion pieces.

Miss Atomic Bomb (The Killers) - A sequel to The Killers' earlier hit Mr. Brightside that imagines Brandon Flowers as an old man reminiscing on what was and what could have been had he not lost his girl to a greasy Eric Roberts. Mixing animation, live action and CGI (Flowers and the lead actress's faces look more like animation than their animated counterparts), this is a frothy piece of high-concept sentimentality.

Speaking of Brandon Flowers, his solo effort Can't Deny My Love is a straightforward adaptation of Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown," with Evan Rachel Wood as his wife and Psychedelic Furs' frontman Richard Butler as the devil. I like the slightly updated setting of this story to what looks like the 19th century, with the witchery set against rocky hills instead of the deep woods.

BenoitRouilly

#132 Post by BenoitRouilly » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:46 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:00 pm
The Justice video was done by So Me, who also did their video for D.A.N.C.E. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy1dYFGkPUE

Kanye then hired them for his video for Good Life - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEKEjpTzB0Q
Thanks, I hadn't seen that D.A.N.C.E. video, it's impressive too.

I like this other animator, from Brighton, who works on After FX to create crazy weird animations made of clips cut-outs and fractal regenerations ad infinitum. He's inspired by Monty Python's Terry Gilliam hand-crafted cut-outs animation, but recreates hybrid monsters out of endless accumulation of snippets. He's made music videos over the years. here is one of my favourite : BONOBO - Cirrus (2013) / director Cyriak.

zedz

#133 Post by zedz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:57 pm

Feego wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:44 pm
Like others around here, I don't particularly follow new music and rarely if ever know about newer videos. So here are some mainstream videos from the last few years that I've recently encountered:

Oh baby (LCD Soundsystem) - A sci-fi love story directed by Rian Johnson and starring Sissy Spacek and David Strathairn that addresses old age, death, existence, and what lies beyond. It works as a beautiful short film with predictably great work from the leads.
This reminds me that LCD Soundsystem's hilarious and sinister video for 'Drunk Girls' is on my list, but not - it seems - on YouTube. Here's a Vimeo link
It's not a single-shot video, but most of it unfolds without a cut.

ntnon

#134 Post by ntnon » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:29 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:34 am
Here are two 'walking' music videos that are amusing to pair together: Massive Attack's Unfinished Sympathy followed by The Verve''s Bitter Sweet Symphony, in which the proud striding down the street bustling with life of the first gets turned into bluntly letting nothing get in the way of your defiant march through life, no matter who you have to push aside!
Better yet, follow them both with the most glorious of British creations - the star-studded, comedy-parody, football anthem nonsense masterpiece VINDALOO by Fat Les (Keith Allen).

ntnon

#135 Post by ntnon » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:33 pm

zedz wrote:
D12/Eminem's My Band? How so many people seem to miss the satire and social commentary of this comedian's work baffles me..

ntnon

#136 Post by ntnon » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:37 pm

Cameron Swift wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:34 pm
...the boisterous and odd Vindaloo by Fat Les. I do like the top comment on that video that the expectation of England is a Downton Abbey type land whereas the reality is closer to that video.
Pipped to the post! Vindaloo is fantastic. Better because of the memories of it being every, proper-English and also... is that Ed Tudor Pole wandering in the background..?! Yes, it is.

Just like Patrick Macnee popping up elsewhere, it's just delightful to see familiar faces.
Cameron Swift wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:34 pm
A few random favourites...

Various Artists - Perfect Day - The BBC created this video to advertise the variety of musical tastes catered to through their television and radio output. It aired randomly between some programmes as filler (they don't show adverts) and it was genuinely goosebump inducing for me anytime I happened to catch the full version. It became so popular that they eventually released it as a charity single which spent a few weeks at Number 1. Not a great video or anything, but it's fun to see a whole bunch of musicians from different genres come together.
Indeed. I remember this also. Alongside... I guess "...baby, one more time" and "Weapon of Choice," and later Elvis vs. JXL and "Bathtime in Clerkenwell"...

ntnon

#137 Post by ntnon » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:39 pm

Feist & OK GO seem absent so far.. and I do have a soft spot for Walking on Broken Glass because of Hugh Laurie and Malkovich, but I don't know that it should stand shoulder-to-shoulder with A-Ha and Fat Les..

And, of course, the mini-masterpiece of Without Me which combines satire, parody, moral messaging and self-censorship all set to some of the cleverest storytelling lyrics written. There are almost too many layers to unpack, too many callbacks and digs, too much truth and meaning. And he's so cute, too...

Also, since the GotG outtakes dance off is ineligible, I'd like to offer this meta-80s take off instead.

Feego

#138 Post by Feego » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:30 pm

ntnon wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:39 pm
Feist & OK GO seem absent so far.. and I do have a soft spot for Walking on Broken Glass because of Hugh Laurie and Malkovich, but I don't know that it should stand shoulder-to-shoulder with A-Ha and Fat Les..
I either forgot or never knew that Laurie and Malkovich were in that video (seem to recall recognizing Malkovich though). I'll definitely be including Lennox's Why on my list. At a time when she cultivated an extreme glam look that practically crossed the line toward drag queen (to the point of being surrounded by men in drag in the playful No More I Love Yous), I think she looked her most powerful without the makeup in the first part of this video. It's a stunning portrait of an artist revealing and reinventing herself before our eyes.

ntnon

#139 Post by ntnon » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:00 pm

Feego wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:30 pm
ntnon wrote:
I do have a soft spot for Walking on Broken Glass because of Hugh Laurie and Malkovich..
I either forgot or never knew that Laurie and Malkovich were in that video (seem to recall recognizing Malkovich though).
I forget when I learned it - I think it was through the handiness of Wikipedia's "wood-iness" via Blackadder - but it was definitely a pleasant (odd) surprise! Like some of the relatively random cameos in the Ghostbusters music video...

thirtyframesasecond

#140 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:47 am

ntnon wrote:

And, of course, the mini-masterpiece of Without Me which combines satire, parody, moral messaging and self-censorship all set to some of the cleverest storytelling lyrics written. There are almost too many layers to unpack, too many callbacks and digs, too much truth and meaning. And he's so cute, too...

Also, since the GotG outtakes dance off is ineligible, I'd like to offer this meta-80s take off instead.
Feist had some great videos around the time of The Reminder. I didn't love the video for 1,2,3,4 - it looked more like a Gap ad, but My Moon, My Man and I Feel It All had nice videos - the first a dance on the travelators in an airport, the second a well choreographed set of fireworks!

On the Annie Lennox tip, if we're discussing thesps in pop music videos, I like Ian McKellen in the Pet Shop Boys' Heart, playing a Dracula who steals Neil's new wife from him.

colinr0380

#141 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:06 am

Blood In My Eyes by Atari Teenage Riot

This video has come to mind more and more over the last few months of events in the Middle East, with Trump's moving of the US Embassy to Jerusalem and wholesale backing of Netanyahu's premiership of Israel, which in turn led to Netanyahu's recent pledges to annex the West Bank if he won his latest election (which he is still wrangling over at the moment). The video feels like a similarly blunt counterattack on right wing elements in the country more interested in provoking more bloodshed than continuing with a façade of peaceful co-existence. I particularly love in the lyrics the way the cry of bloodshed turns from almost exuberantly exultant to overwhelmed and wanting the deluge to stop, which parallels with the imagisitcally violent shot of the wall cutting through the landscape with the next cry.

This is apparently part of a longer film, so I'm not sure if it entirely counts, but the video works incredibly well just in this music video form. It almost feels as if it contains the themes of Godard's Notre Musique condensed into a couple of minutes. Especially in its seeming ambivalence in the final section about the ability of structures of Europe to really counter some of the other forces in the world, and the idea that turning a blind eye to violence and injustices occurring in some far away country might not be the best idea in such a connected culturally mixed modern world, and can almost inevitably lead to violence occurring on streets of a bustling metropolitan Western city too.

BenoitRouilly

#142 Post by BenoitRouilly » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:57 am

I don't know which OK Go video to pick, which Björk, which White Stripes, which Daft Punk, which Michael Jackson, which Gondry, which Spike Jonze, Which Chris Cunningham...

Here is one I should pick : VANESSA PARADIS – Tandem (1990) / Jean-Baptiste Mondino (NSFW)

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#143 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:11 am
And to cap things tonight, coming in with the most unforgettable entrance ever put on film is the one, the only ...
Just catching up with these, and this one was certainly something else. They're not particularly similar, but the commitment to an escalating shock value bit reminded me of the video for Big Data's "Dangerous"...

zedz

#144 Post by zedz » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:39 pm

Hello all, domino is bowing out from tabulating this project due to other commitments, so I'll be taking over as designated ambulance at the bottom of the cliff.

There's a week and a half to go, so start roughing up your personal favourites and please take the time to find new ones among the many superb videos that have been posted in the thread.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#145 Post by soundchaser » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:25 pm

Just to add a few more to the thread...

Pretty much every Weird Al video is worth watching, but two in particular stand out: Amish Paradise, which I believe has been mentioned here but not posted, and Don't Download This Song. The first is notable for, among other things, its Florence Henderson cameo and its astonishing backwards lip-sync segment, and the latter is a surreal hand-drawn montage a la Ralph Bakshi.

zedz

#146 Post by zedz » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:27 pm

Some random favourites I'll be voting for that haven't been mentioned yet.

Pulp - This Is Hardcore: Brilliant evocation of Old Hollywood. Their best video (and in my opinion their best song).
This Is This Is Hardcore

Brian Eno - Ali Click: A synaesthetic kaleidoscope of found footage. Digital Fischinger.
Ali Click
This is a good illustration of how even very basic digital effects can be artistically expressive.

Dirty Projectors - Gun Has No Trigger: I posted this in the iPod thread, but I don't think I did so here. This video couldn't be simpler, but it's a perfect accompaniment to the music.
Gun Has No Trigger

The Liminanas - Dimanche: This is a somewhat unremarkable video, but for some reason I really like it. I think it's a mix of the early (good) Wenders road movie vibe and the obliviously grooving businessman (who also featured in their video for 'Istanbul Is Sleepy').
Dimanche

There's more Gondry of course. Somebody will have posted 'Let Forever Be', and I think I've posted a half dozen others, but not The White Stripes' 'The Hardest Button to Button', a human pixellation tour-de-force.
The Hardest Button to Button
This is another one where the visuals match the music to a tee, and the execution is meticulously OCD, even though the result has a rough, improvisatory veneer - which is sort of the Gondry aesthetic in a nutshell.

colinr0380

#147 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:55 pm

I love The Hardest Button To Button as well. It will be hard not to make an entire list out of Michel Gondry videos. On that Palm Pictures set I really like his early French videos as well, particularly the constant jerky movements of Je danse le mia by IAM

But the signage playfulness of La Tour de Pise by Jean-François Coen (with this and DVNO the French appear to love their graphic design!) and the children's TV show of Les cailloux by Oui Oui are great too!

thirtyframesasecond

#148 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:44 pm

Music Sounds Better With You, Everlong, A Change Would Do You Good (swiftly replaced as the narrative makes the song practically inaudible!), Protection, Army of Me...all great too.

Feego

#149 Post by Feego » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:59 pm

A few more gems from the 80s:

Genius of Love (Tom Tom Club) - Animated in the style of a child's colorful drawings, this video alternates between literal interpretations of the lyrics and more imaginative associations. Like the song, it's delightfully upbeat yet occasionally tacky. And it constantly moves, never holding a static image, with objects and characters squiggling in and out of existence or shape-shifting into something else.

Don't You Want Me (The Human League) - A mysterious brunette. A blonde. A murder. A film set. The video eerily anticipates Mulholland Drive while exploring the obsessive relationship of the song. Is the guy exercising his revenge fantasy through the violence of the scripted film? What's real and what's fake? It all culminates with the camera pulling back on the real crew's reflection.

Slave to the Rhythm (Grace Jones) (NSFW) - Composed entirely of recycled clips from previous Jones videos and even commercials in which she appeared, this is perhaps the best distillation of her warped and perverse aesthetic. When Ian McShane's (!) opening narration announces, "Ladies and gentlemen, Miss Grace Jones," that's exactly what you're getting -- five minutes of high fashion, kinky sex, and flights of surrealism as only the defiant Miss Jones can deliver.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#150 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:20 pm

BenoitRouilly wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:57 am
I don't know which Chris Cunningham...
This one