MoviePass

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
Luke M

Re: MoviePass

#301 Post by Luke M » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Theater owners biggest concern is if MoviePass shuts down people will have to go back to the old business model of buying tickets only for movies they really want to see? It’s amazing theaters aren’t plastering ads for MoviePass all over their doors.

mfunk9786

Re: MoviePass

#302 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:15 pm

I mean, yeah! If you're a small independent theater and people are taking the plunge on seeing film(s) they might not otherwise because they know they won't have to pay additional money out of pocket, I would have to guess that a theater like that stands to benefit the most from that sort of thing. People are going to see giant tentpole movies anyway, but a repertory screening or indie might get skipped for some consumers without MoviePass in the picture. It's an unfortunate reality, but a reality all the same. I'm going to see the Mr. Rogers doc this week at the nonprofit theater near me - would I be doing that if not for MoviePass? Maaaybe, but I'd probably be waiting for it to show up on Netflix. That's $25 in the theater's pocket that they wouldn't be getting if I weren't a MoviePass subscriber.