Quentin Tarantino

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
accatone

Re: Quentin Tarantino

#401 Post by accatone » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:20 am

knives wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:00 am
That is an interesting perspective.
And he got a point in my perspective.

Lars Von Truffaut

#402 Post by Lars Von Truffaut » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:50 am

R0lf wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:55 am
Tarantino should have won the Oscar for PULP FICTION so that he didn't have to direct so much "Oscar worthy" material afterward (WW2, slavery, post Civil War).

His best movies are JACKIE BROWN, KILL BILL, and DEATHPROOF.

He should have kept on with the pulp bent and waited for audiences to catch up instead of dumbing it down on what people judge as serious material.
And a film about film-making is right in the Oscar wheelhouse too.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#403 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:53 am

...Tarantino won an Oscar for Pulp Fiction

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#404 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:55 am

Nothing says Oscar like a 10 minute digression with Jonah Hill in KKK robes or Eli Roth playing a lead role - clearly he's just gunning for that gold!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#405 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:58 am

Also, “Jackie Brown is Tarantino’s best film” is the Film Twitter equivalent of “I’m not like other girls”

knives

#406 Post by knives » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:06 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:55 am
Nothing says Oscar like a 10 minute digression with Jonah Hill in KKK robes or Eli Roth playing a lead role - clearly he's just gunning for that gold!
I was thinking how giving Sam Jackson a monologue about having his dick sucked is just what Oscar voters desire.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#407 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:21 pm

Seamlessly integrating the word "dingus" into your screenplay should mean you're automatically handed the trophy

knives

#408 Post by knives » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:22 pm

Especially since that isn't pulpy at all. (we are really being mean girls over this)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#409 Post by tenia » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:33 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:58 am
Also, “Jackie Brown is Tarantino’s best film” is the Film Twitter equivalent of “I’m not like other girls”
The reverse is true : I do really like Jackie Brown, and for years, it has genuinely been the QT I was watching with the most pleasure. And everytime I would tell this on a dedicated board, I'd automatically get a "if Jackie Brown is your favourite QT, you don't really like his cinema".
When you're being sincere and take time to explain why, and that's the response you get, it really is discouraging.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#410 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:37 pm

There's a difference between saying it's your favorite of his films and saying it's the only, or last, good one IMO - it's a film that I've come to really enjoy but it's not especially different from everything that came before or after it in a way that sets it entirely apart, which is the sort of take I think Dom was referring to

misterjunior

#411 Post by misterjunior » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:22 pm

I think it does tend to be the favorite of people who are not generally big fans of Tarantino, just as it's often the least favorite (or among the least favorites) of people who are fans of him. And while it's certainly clearly the work of the same filmmaker who had made Reservoir Dogs and especially Pulp Fiction, I think the relationship between Jackie and Max has a tenderness, quiet dignity and realism/"truth" to it that he has never managed (and arguably not even attempted) elsewhere, other than, perhaps, the Vincent/Mia and Bill/Bride dynamics being somewhere on the same spectrum. Very often I find myself viewing his characters as mannequins on which to hang a collection of quirks and pop culture references with little internal consistency and who after a fashion I begin to see and hear as mere stand-ins for QT himself; I find it particularly egregious with the interminable dialogues of Death Proof and The Hateful Eight. I'm very fond of the Kill Bill films and Inglourious Basterds in part because they tend to avoid these problems, and because they are exciting with respect to their depictions of action/combat and I find them to be visually impressive.

Luke M

#412 Post by Luke M » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:Also, “Jackie Brown is Tarantino’s best film” is the Film Twitter equivalent of “I’m not like other girls”
This is a good summation of film twitter.

accatone

#413 Post by accatone » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:52 pm

Luke M wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:42 pm
domino harvey wrote:Also, “Jackie Brown is Tarantino’s best film” is the Film Twitter equivalent of “I’m not like other girls”
This is a good summation of film twitter.
I am not like other girls :lol:

R0lf

#414 Post by R0lf » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:48 am

domino harvey wrote:
We say Film Twitter now but this was one of those Harry Knowles aintitcoolnews equivalents in ye olden days (my best movies were listed in release order not by preference).

Luke M

#415 Post by Luke M » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:24 am

R0lf wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
We say Film Twitter now but this was one of those Harry Knowles aintitcoolnews equivalents in ye olden days (my best movies were listed in release order not by preference).
Ain't it cool news was more corny than anything else. Film twitter insufferable.

Gregory

#416 Post by Gregory » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:58 pm

A bizarre discovery: in 1999, about four years before her death, June Carter Cash wrote and recorded a song dedicated to her granddaughter, "Tiffany Anastasia Lowe." The first verse is about her, but then it turns into an anti-QT screed with the following lyrics:

She came out here to Hollywood to be a star
And Tiffany, I’m wondering where you are
[...]
Tiffany, run and find an earthquake, girl
Go jump in a crack just don’t let Quentin Tarantino find out where you’re at
Cause Quentin Tarantino makes the strangest movies that I’ve ever seen
And Quentin Tarintino makes his women wild and mean

Now Quentin Tarantino’s women sometimes gets stuck with a hypodermic needle
They dance a lot and lose a lot of blood
But what’s the good of loving John Travolta
If he’s always dragging you through the mud

She sings "Quentin Tarantino" ten times—and always the full name.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#417 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:15 am

Regal theaters that have an RPX auditorium will be showing Pulp Fiction and both Kill Bill films through Tuesday

And despite being in the RPX format, I've checked and they appear to be free tickets for Regal Unlimited members. (They're $6 plus fees at the regular box office.) I'll be bummed to miss these whilst on vacation, but thought it might be useful to share here!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#418 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:13 pm

Tarantino says he's writing a book at the moment in an interview with Scorsese:
QT: You know, Marty, I'll tell you an interesting story that I'm going through right now, and I thought it would lead to a very good question about you and movies, so let me go with this.
Right now, I'm working on a book. And I've got this character who had been in World War II and he saw a lot of bloodshed there. And now he's back home, and it's like the '50s, and he doesn't respond to movies anymore. He finds them juvenile after everything that he's been through. As far as he's concerned, Hollywood movies are movies. And so then, all of a sudden, he starts hearing about these foreign movies by Kurosawa and Fellini…

MS: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

QT: And so he's like, "Well, maybe they might have something more than this phony Hollywood stuff."

MS: Right.

QT: So he finds himself drawn to these things and some of them he likes and some of them he doesn't like and some of them he doesn't understand, but he knows he's seeing something.

MS: Uh-huh.

QT: So now, I find myself having a wonderful opportunity of, in some cases, rewatching and, in some cases, watching for the first time movies I've heard about forever, but from my character's perspective. So I'm enjoying watching them but I'm also [thinking], 'How is he taking it? How is he looking at it?' I always like to have a good excuse for just throwing down into a pit of cinema[...]

Nasir007

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#419 Post by Nasir007 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:21 pm

QT: Right now, I'm working on a book. And I've got this character who had been in World War II and he saw a lot of bloodshed there. And now he's back home, and it's like the '50s, and he doesn't respond to movies anymore. He finds them juvenile after everything that he's been through. As far as he's concerned, Hollywood movies are movies. And so then, all of a sudden, he starts hearing about these foreign movies by Kurosawa and Fellini…
What is this that I am reading about? Is this a novel? Has this project been announced?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#420 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:25 pm

Not prior to this interview.

Cold Bishop

#421 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:07 pm

Tarantino’s been thinking of doing novels for a while. It’s one of the built-in plans for his retirement: I believe he said he conceived OUATIH as a novel at first, and while not to be written by him, Hateful Eight started as a Django book-sequel treatment.

We’ll see if this makes the leap from page to screen as well.

JMULL222

#422 Post by JMULL222 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:42 pm

That character immediately read to me as Cliff Booth (and Tarantino has clarified in other interviews that Cliff's war experience was WWII, specifically, I believe), so I wonder if perhaps it was translated/rephrased awkwardly to make it sound like an upcoming project when it's actually not.

Nasir007

#423 Post by Nasir007 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:08 pm

I don't think it can be misconstrued since Once Upon.. is based in the 60's.

--

I actually am not sure if Once Upon... works as a novel. It could but it would have to be completely restructured. The way Tarantino has structured the movie... that wouldn't work as a novel. I think Hateful Eight, Django Unchained, Inglorious Basterds could definitely work as novels. Kill Bill - not sure about that one either. Dunno if there is enough meat on the bones there.

Hateful Eight could actually make a fine play.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#424 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:17 pm

JMULL222 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:42 pm
That character immediately read to me as Cliff Booth (and Tarantino has clarified in other interviews that Cliff's war experience was WWII, specifically, I believe), so I wonder if perhaps it was translated/rephrased awkwardly to make it sound like an upcoming project when it's actually not.
It's not Cliff Booth, as we see him getting a bunch of enjoyment out of Hollywood films in 1969. More than one man fought in WWII, if you (and those who theorized that Booth was somehow meant to be an older Aldo Raine) can believe it!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#425 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:50 pm

I'm Johnny Knoxville, and this is Try to Get Domino to Delete the Internet with One Screengrab:

*electric guitars*