Forthcoming: The Last of the Mohicans

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Forthcoming: The Last of the Mohicans

#1 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:37 pm

Hope they include the Ben Stiller Show parody of Mohicans!

Calvin

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#2 Post by Calvin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:15 pm

A multi-cut edition of The Last of the Mohicans has recently been released in Australia and has been announced for France, so not entirely surprising that if it's on its way here too. But it sounds like the theatrical cut is from an older master; hopefully Arrow do some restoration work if they do have the rights.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#3 Post by tenia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:30 am

The French release is based on :
- the current Warner masters for the Mann
- god knows what for the older versions since it wasn't even planned to release them on BD because of the state of the masters.

M Sanderson

Re: Forthcoming: The Last of the Mohicans

#4 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:20 am

Wow. Beautiful film. I was actually downloading the soundtrack last night, coincidentally. Hopefully it gets a fresh lick of paint as the old Warner masters can be drab.

Grand Wazoo

#5 Post by Grand Wazoo » Wed May 06, 2020 11:49 am

Was this ever confirmed to be a mainline release vs the Arrow Films-branded blu released in HMV stores?

Ribs

#6 Post by Ribs » Wed May 06, 2020 12:18 pm

I believe one of the higher-up people at Arrow indicated that those had to be rushed out as some kind of contractual stipulation as quickly as possible but that there would be regular editions to follow in the fullness of time. I don't recall the specifics so don't know if I've gotten anything in particular mixed up.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:02 pm

I watched this and, hey, I actually found a Mann film I liked! Was surprised at the sustained restraint for a mainstream film and there were some quite beautiful shots, especially the first glimpse of the besieged fort from afar. Not wild about many of the melodramatic plot and character contrivances that were no doubt carried over from the source, though. DDL was surprisingly kind of a non-entity here too

rapta

#8 Post by rapta » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:22 pm

Hope a proper Arrow edition appears this year...been too long, and would much prefer it to a lot of the mainstream titles they've been putting out lately (many of which I bought for £5 or less originally, so not exactly in a rush to pay 5+ times that). I wonder if they're restoring both cuts and running them by Mann, and that's what's delaying such a release? Anyway, would love to revisit this, has always looked a bit murky to date so definitely needs some love.

And yes, this is DDL trying his hand at 'passive action star', and he's arguably better than, say, your Kostners or Gibsons of the era. I am by and large a Mann apologist though, so take what I say with a large dose of salt.

ford

#9 Post by ford » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:46 pm

Got really excited you guys were bumping this thread cause a 4K UHD was imminent.