Game of Thrones & House of the Dragon

Discuss TV shows old and new.
barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

Re: Game of Thrones

#451 Post by barryconvex » Mon May 27, 2019 4:44 am

You make a solid argument for all your points but i disagree about Jon Snow who lost much much more than any other survivor. I know he was reluctant but the guy was a king and i'd bet good money that if he had the chance to do things differently he'd explore some other options. And it's not just his prestige that's gone-his heritage, his country, his adopted family, his title, his home and he has to live out his days knowing he betrayed both of the women who genuinely loved him-the last women he'll ever be that intimate with if he's to adhere to the night's watch regulations. Maybe he'll achieve some kind of peace over time but in the immediate aftermath he lost everything a man can lose except his sword and pet wolf.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#452 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:44 am

In WTF news, Lena Headey was nominated for an Emmy for this season (one of ten acting nominations the show received for its worst season-- makes sense). She was living the ultimate life for the whole of season eight: getting paid millions to just look out a window and now getting nominated for same!

Roscoe

#453 Post by Roscoe » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:38 am

Agreed about Lena Headey, who is expected to do nothing more than ooze stately malevolence for way too much of her screen time. She does it very well, to be fair. I'm more mystified by Kit Harington's Best Actor nomination, while Peter Dinklage still gets shunted off to Best Supporting Actor, after having been the heart soul and brains of that series for the entirety of its run.

On the other hand, I'm glad not to have to root for Dinklage against Bob Odenkirk, whose work in the magnficent BETTER CALL SAUL has been appallingly and predictably unrewarded. Thus far.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#454 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:17 pm

The bolder and more correct move would have been to nominate no one from this show for any acting award

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#455 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:43 pm

At least they also finally nominated the Good Place and Schitt’s Creek for Best Comedy, though

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#457 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:14 pm

Naomi Watts prequel series dead - the well is poisoned, folks! RIP to Game of Thrones, we hardly knew ye (and to think, I kind of liked the last season!)

dwk

#458 Post by dwk » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:06 pm

Roscoe

#459 Post by Roscoe » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:08 am

The Blu-Ray of Season 8 of GAME OF THRONES is now available, and we checked out the LONG NIGHT battle scenes, and at long last I could see what the hell was going on in much of the episode. Just the difference between physical media and streaming, or did they work some magic on it to make it clearer?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#460 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:36 am

I don't think they've changed anything. The issues with the streaming flow most likely was tons of macroblocking, a possibly altered/improper gamma, people having improperly setup screens for an episode pushing the photography in a challenging way. Everything was here for any slight issue being instantly visible.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#461 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:03 pm

Noiretirc

#462 Post by Noiretirc » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Roscoe wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:08 am
The Blu-Ray of Season 8 of GAME OF THRONES is now available, and we checked out the LONG NIGHT battle scenes, and at long last I could see what the hell was going on in much of the episode. Just the difference between physical media and streaming, or did they work some magic on it to make it clearer?
I got the complete series on Blu, and after watching that particular episode, then just sitting there thinking "wtf just happened to this show?", and investigating other opinions here and elsewhere on-line in order to make sure I had not lost my mind, I still have not gathered up the courage to see the last episodes. Thinking about how badly it ends is much better than knowing how badly it ends. I've always been amused at the defensiveness of cast and producers about this. Why not just acknowledge that they completely fucked it up?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#463 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:02 am

Anyone bother watching House of the Dragon last night?

cdnchris
Site Admin

Re: Game of Thrones & House of the Dragon

#464 Post by cdnchris » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:01 am

I didn't fall for watching the original series, and since people are still moaning about how that one ended I sure as shit ain't falling for watching this one.

Roscoe

#465 Post by Roscoe » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:16 am

Watched the first episode, and wasn't impressed. I might give it one more episode to see if it picks up, but the territory just felt way too familiar. It didn't really bring anything fresh or even interesting to the table. The bleached blonde psycho Targaryens can't really carry an entire series. BETTER CALL SAUL it ain't, prequel wise.

Persona

#466 Post by Persona » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:21 pm

Yes, very GoT-y, a bit rote. I dunno, the whole affect fell a bit flat for me. When it first starts saying this is a time of peace and prosperity, I was like, "oh good, at least we can start in a somewhat different mode" but that didn't last long and it sure didn't take long for the show to make sure you quickly come to dislike/hate characters you thought might be sorta ok.

So, yeah, seems like any remotely decent people are about to have a lot of terrible things happen to them while the multitude of miserably awful people smile and smirk their way through a season or two.

jazzo

#467 Post by jazzo » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:34 am

Overly familiar storyline snd character shenanigans aside, it also just looked like dogshit, with everything, from the buildings and cityscapes to the dragons flying amongst the clouds, visualized and executed too cleanly and without any substance.

The action sequences were just dropped in without any tension or build-up, and I’m only half-joking when I say the special effects were only slightly better than Xena: Warrior Princess.

Nothing felt real.

It felt like adults were playing dress-up.

Kracker

#468 Post by Kracker » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:30 pm

lest anyone forgot, the first episode of Game of Thrones wasn't some big spectacle either, it was all setting up characters, premise, foreshadowing, etc. as was this one. In fact, this flagship episode was a lot less confusing than GoT's imo. Show didn't become something really watch for me until halfway through that first season. But seeing how you had a record 10 million people watching (highest for a premiere) vs GoT's 2.2 million (its lowest), i imagine its going to be more scrutinized. It doesn't get the benefit of most of its audience getting introduced via a whole season. For that reason, I wasn't really feeling like watching this week-to-week until the show really starting going but when you have dicks getting cut off and Matt Smith's full ass happening long before the episode is halfway through as well as that very real and graphic birth scene, this 'dull' episode is still going to be a conversation piece.

Roscoe

#469 Post by Roscoe » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:24 pm

Kracker wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:30 pm
lest anyone forgot, the first episode of Game of Thrones wasn't some big spectacle either, it was all setting up characters, premise, foreshadowing, etc. as was this one.
Indeed, I haven't forgotten the first episode of the original GAME OF THRONES, which set up characters and premise and foreshadowing, and even had a fabulous OMG final moment that had me shocked and amused and made me want to keep watching the series. It's the memory of that first episode that made me so disappointed with this dreary batch of Westerosian stuff. Mileage is gonna vary, clearly. We'll see if those high ratings continue beyond the first episode.

Kracker

#470 Post by Kracker » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:34 pm

Roscoe wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:24 pm
Kracker wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:30 pm
lest anyone forgot, the first episode of Game of Thrones wasn't some big spectacle either, it was all setting up characters, premise, foreshadowing, etc. as was this one.
Indeed, I haven't forgotten the first episode of the original GAME OF THRONES, which set up characters and premise and foreshadowing, and even had a fabulous OMG final moment that had me shocked and amused and made me want to keep watching the series. It's the memory of that first episode that made me so disappointed with this dreary batch of Westerosian stuff. Mileage is gonna vary, clearly. We'll see if those high ratings continue beyond the first episode.
Oh they might not ever see those numbers again. Compare to Better Call Saul, the premiere also set a record: 7 million viewers. But no other episode reached even HALF that. Not even the next episode which aired the very next day. So, yea, those high ratings are going to drop for sure. Its just an indication that despite the final GoT backlash and the show all but disappearing from pop culture, its audience hasn't lost interest.

And Better Call Saul featured characters we already knew from Breaking Bad from the get-go. Here, its a fresh slate again, for a show dependent on having weight built up with characters and their relationships. I don't think any of them were even mentioned in GoT. So im not going to give a crap about Queen Aaemma or whoever dying just like I didn't give a crap when Bran went out the window. GoT's big moments were earned and now they gotta start all over again.

starmanof51

#471 Post by starmanof51 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:50 pm

I was kind of shocked by how much I liked it. I try to resist watching new shows, but I’m probably already in. If they manage the time jump badly in the next week or two, I guess that could still change.

movielocke

#472 Post by movielocke » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:20 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:02 am
Anyone bother watching House of the Dragon last night?
I liked it, I read about half of Martin's "Fire and Blood" on vacation this summer (need to finish that asap), which isn't a novel but is an easy read faux-history that was quite enjoyable, skimming through "history" for the highlights of a hundred years. About a third of the way through the book, they get into the storyline this series is using, which is definitely the best part of the book.

I definitely like Daemon and Rhaenyra in the show, given the developments coming for their characters that I've read so far, that bodes well for future episodes. I really liked the actor playing Corlys Velaryon (the silver-white haired admiral sitting opposite the king in the council scenes) and definitely looking forward to the Velaryon parts of the series.

I thought the violence in the tourney was overdone, but I wonder if it hit harder because it was quick and sudden or because it's been so long since I saw the GOT series I'd forgotten how violent it was. The Gold Cloaks raid of King's Landing was perhaps more grotesque but somehow tamer, and deeply reminescent of the GOT tone, I felt.

The cross-cutting of the birth and tourney left me squeamish and profoundly uncomfortable--which is as was intended, parallel editing these two scenes is inherently over-the-top, but I don't necessarily consider that pejorative, because it's deliberately achieving the audience affect they set out to achieve.

Kracker

#473 Post by Kracker » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:32 am