Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Boosmahn

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2301 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:44 pm

This news is a couple of weeks old, but Brick has been delayed to January 14.

whaleallright

#2302 Post by whaleallright » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:01 am

HinkyDinkyTruesmith wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:34 pm
Kino Insider wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:54 pm
From Preston Sturges, the legendary writer/director of The Lady Eve, The Great McGinty, The Palm Beach Story and The Miracle of Morgan’s Creek comes this classic screwball comedy full of joy and laughter. A workplace practical joke goes awry when an office clerk (Dick Powell, Pitfall), believing he has won a $25,000 prize, takes his girlfriend (Ellen Drew, The Crooked Way) on an extravagant Christmas shopping spree... in the middle of July. After they discover it was all a hoax, their spending spree turns into a wild slapstick riot. More than just a holiday heart-warmer, this madcap masterpiece is a classic gift of laughter that is perfect for every season. Beautifully shot in black-and-white by the great Victor Milner (Reap the Wild Wind, Cleopatra).
It's amazing how difficult it is to describe the plot of this movie, as this description gets quite a few things wrong in the name of better copy.
Yeah, I've seen it several times and I can never get my head around the audacity of the plot. I think about "It's not the coffee, it's the bunk" almost every day.

Kino Insider

#2303 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:53 pm

Boosmahn wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:44 pm
It should be the final delay. We just received the director/DP approved 4K restoration.

Bumstead

#2304 Post by Bumstead » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:03 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:53 pm
Boosmahn wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:44 pm
It should be the final delay. We just received the director/DP approved 4K restoration.
I'm not a fan of this film in particular, but appreciate you getting Rian Johnson and Steve Yedlin involved.

Kino Insider

#2305 Post by Kino Insider » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Trailer for MY GUN IS QUICK starring Robert Bray as Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer!

The kind of a girl you take home to mother, if mother wasn't home!

https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStud ... 103650829/

Trailer for J. Lee Thompson's classic thriller RETURN FROM THE ASHES, starring Maximilian Schell, Samantha Eggar, Ingrid Thulin & Herbert Lom.

Both Coming 2020 from KLSC!

https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStud ... 626157651/

Kino Insider

#2306 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:09 am

Trailer for 1977 British action classics, Sweeney.
Sweeney (1977) and Sweeney 2 (1978) coming in 2020!

https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStud ... 984731769/

Kino Insider

#2307 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Isn't it Romantic...

Trailer for LOVE ME TONIGHT (1932) Starring Maurice Chevalier & Jeanette MacDonald and Directed by Rouben Mamoulian!

Brand New 4K Master! Coming on Blu-ray 2020!

https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStud ... 437029860/

justeleblanc

#2308 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:11 pm

Woo hoo!
Does this mean a restoration of The Lottery Bride is also on the horizon? With the original technicolor ending?

Kino Insider

#2309 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:40 pm

justeleblanc wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:11 pm
Woo hoo!
Does this mean a restoration of The Lottery Bride is also on the horizon? With the original technicolor ending?
Hopefully, but not from KL.

Kino Insider

#2310 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:45 pm

Coming to DVD and Blu-ray November 12th from Kino Classics!

Les Liaisons Dangereuses (1959)
Directed by Roger Vadim
Starring Jeanne Moreau and Gerard Philipe

Special features:
Audio commentary by film historian Kat Ellinger
Isolated music track of Thelonious Monk's score
Theatrical trailer

Kino Insider

#2311 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Coming to DVD and Blu-ray November 12th from Kino Classics!

Buffet Froid (1979)
Directed by Bertrand Blier
Starring Gerard Depardieu, Bernard Blier, and Jean Carmet

Special features:
*Archival interview with director Bertrand Blier
*Audio commentary by film critic Nick Pinkerton
*Booklet essay by film critic Gavin Smith (Blu-ray only)
*Theatrical trailer

Kino Insider

#2312 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:03 pm

Coming 2020!

BRITISH NOIR II (DVD ONLY)
Follow-up to the 2015 Kino Classics Set!
• The Interrupted Journey (1949) Starring Valerie Hobson & Richard Todd | Directed by Daniel Birt (The Deadly Game)
• The Slasher (1953) (aka Cosh Boy) Starring Joan Collins & James Kenney | Directed by Lewis Gilbert (The Spy Who Loved Me)
• Time is My Enemy (1954) Starring Dennis Price & Renee Atherson | Directed by Don Chaffey (One Million Years B.C.)
• Time Lock (1957) Starring Robert Beatty, Betty McDowall & Sean Connery | Directed by Gerald Thomas (The Carry On… films)
• The Vicious Circle (1957) Starring John Mills, Noelle Middleton & Wilfrid Hyde-White | Directed by Gerald Thomas (Don’t Lose Your Head)

Note: The Slasher (Cosh Boy) will also be released on Blu-ray.
Coming 2020: BRITISH NOIR III (DVD ONLY) (FIVE FILM COLLECTION)

dustybooks

#2313 Post by dustybooks » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:42 pm

I ended up getting the new KL releases of Kind Hearts and Coronets and Lavender Hill Mob, despite the apparent absence of the former's latest restoration, having only previously owned them on DVD. I understand why most may want to skip the Coronets disc and opt for the Canal version if anything. However, while Mob is a very easy release to recommend if you like that film, Coronets honestly has a better package of extras, though the even more expansive material Criterion offered (the long Guinness interview and the terrific documentary about Ealing) is of course missed. There's a vintage overview of Dennis Price's career I found interesting and a terribly muffled audio interview with Douglas Slocombe, and I liked Kat Ellinger's very spirited audio commentary and actually learned a bit from it regarding a film I assumed I knew pretty intimately. The Mob disc follows a very similar pattern: an ancient TV examination of an involved party (an interview from British TV with T.E.B. Clarke, which I actually enjoyed very much; it made me curious to track down his memoir), a degraded-to-the-point-of-inaudible audio interview (Charles Crichton this time) and a commentary, this one by Jeremy Arnold and unfortunately in my opinion a bit lackluster. Arnold likes to do the thing where he explains something that's about to happen in the film and then says "let's watch" or "let's listen" and goes quiet for a moment which really bothers me, and his comments are more superficial than Ellinger's, though I suppose I get that this film has a bit less subtext to delve into.

I'm overall happy with the releases. I doubt Lavender Hill Mob is ever going to look better than it does here.

Kino Insider

#2314 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:43 am

Coming November 26th!

The Pink Panther Collection Volume 6 (1978-1980)

• Audio commentaries for selected films, by author Mark Arnold, historian Jerry Beck, filmmaker Greg Ford, cartoon writer William Hohauser and others
• PINK LINKS: New Featurette by Greg Ford
• Remembering Friz: Featurette
• Reversible Blu-ray Art

Kino Insider

#2315 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Coming to DVD (3 discs) and Blu-ray (2 discs) December 10th from Kino Classics!

Hitchcock: The British International Pictures Collection

Includes:
The Ring (1927)
The Farmer's Wife (1928)
Champagne (1928)
The Manxman (1929)
The Skin Game (1931)

Before he became known as the "Master of Suspense" in Hollywood, Alfred Hitchcock had already established himself as a precociously talented filmmaker in England. HITCHCOCK: BRITISH INTERNATIONAL PICTURES COLLECTION brings together five features he directed for the production company that first displayed his talents.

Special features:
*Hitchcock/Truffaut: Icon interviews Icon (Archival Audio)
*Audio commentary on THE RING by film critic Nick Pinkerton
*Audio commentaries on CHAMPAGNE and THE MANXMAN by film historian Farran Smith Nehme

Kino Insider

#2316 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:57 pm

Trailer for THE GREAT McGINTY (1940) Starring Brian Donlevy, Muriel Angelus & Akim Tamiroff - Written & Directed by Preston Sturges!

Brand New 4K Master!
Coming on Blu-ray 2020!

https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStud ... 999451314/

nitin

#2317 Post by nitin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:17 am

Happy to see the Sturges releases getting 4k masters.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#2318 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:39 pm

I read that initially as "Happy to see the Stooges releases getting 4k masters." and I can't really describe to you how excited I momentarily was

knives

#2319 Post by knives » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:17 pm

Iggy Pop made a movie?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2320 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:19 pm

Nyuk nyuk nyuk

Kino Insider

#2321 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:52 pm

Coming December 10th!

Blue Collar (1978) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary with Co-Writer/Director Paul Schrader and Journalist Maitland McDonagh
• Theatrical Trailer

Whatever Became of the “American Dream”? From Paul Schrader, the legendary director of Hardcore, American Gigolo, Cat People and Light Sleeper! When Detroit auto workers Zeke (Richard Pryor, Bustin’ Loose), Jerry (Harvey Keitel, Bad Lieutenant) and Smokey (Yaphet Kotto, Truck Turner) find bills piling up and pressures bearing down, they decide to rob their corrupt union office. In a cruel twist, their small haul becomes a nightmare when the heist goes horribly wrong and their once loyal friendship turns to fear, betrayal and murder. Co-writer/director Paul Schrader showcases the dark side of the American working class, creating a brutal vision of the low wage and huge debt that traps workers between big industry and big labor. Co-written by Leonard Schrader (Old Boyfriends, Kiss of the Spider Woman).

Kino Insider

#2322 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:10 pm

Coming December 10th!

Iceman (1984) with optional English subtitles
• NEW Audio Commentary by Director Fred Schepisi
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian and Critic Peter Tonguette
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 100 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
From Fred Schepisi, the director of The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith, Barbarosa, A Cry in the Dark and Six Degrees of Separation comes an amazing, unforgettable journey of humanity. Timothy Hutton (Ordinary People), John Lone (The Last Emperor) and Lindsay Crouse (House of Games) star in this suspenseful drama about a team of Arctic researchers who find a 40,000 year-old man frozen in ice and bring him back to life. Anthropologist Stanley Shephard (Hutton) wants to befriend the Iceman (Lone) and learn about the man's past; Dr. Diane Brady (Crouse) and her surgical team want to discover the secret that will allow man to live in a frozen state. When the Iceman becomes part of their lives, the results are both moving and emotionally shattering. Beautifully shot on location in Canada's breathtaking snowy wilderness by Ian Baker (Plenty, Roxanne). The strong supporting cast includes David Strathairn (Good Night, and Good Luck.), Danny Glover (Lethal Weapon), Josef Sommer (Witness) and James Tolkan (Back to the Future).
Last edited by Kino Insider on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kino Insider

#2323 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:04 pm

Coming December 3rd!

Stick (1985) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Behind-the-Scenes/Promotional Image Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 109 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
Screen legend Burt Reynolds (Gator, Fuzz, Malone) stars in and directs Stick, a fast-paced thriller co-starring Candice Bergen (The Hunting Party), George Segal (Where’s Poppa?) and Charles Durning (True Confessions). Ernest "Stick" Stickley is an ex-con who's trying to stay clean on the rough streets of Miami. When his former cellmate is murdered during an illicit payoff, Stick finds himself at the center of a high-class criminal circle whose members include a nervous drug kingpin, a shady film producer, and a stock market whiz with his own gorgeous financial adviser. Screenplay by Elmore Leonard (52 Pick-Up) and Joseph Stinson (Sudden Impact), based on Leonard’s bestselling novel. Legendary stuntman Dar Robinson (Sharkey’s Machine) play Moke, a menacing psychotic albino. Stick blends cons an con artists into a suspenseful tall tale of creative swindling.

colinr0380

#2324 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:17 am

Kino Insider wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:10 pm
Coming December 10th!

Iceman (1984) with optional English subtitles
• NEW Audio Commentary by Director Fred Schepisi
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian and Critic Peter Tonguette
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 100 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
From Fred Schepisi, the director of The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith, Barbarosa, A Cry in the Dark and Six Degrees of Separation comes an amazing, unforgettable journey of humanity. Timothy Hutton (Ordinary People), John Lone (The Last Emperor) and Lindsay Crouse (House of Games) star in this suspenseful drama about a team of Arctic researchers who find a 40,000 year-old man frozen in ice and bring him back to life. Anthropologist Stanley Shephard (Hutton) wants to befriend the Iceman (Lone) and learn about the man's past; Dr. Diane Brady (Crouse) and her surgical team want to discover the secret that will allow man to live in a frozen state. When the Iceman becomes part of their lives, the results are both moving and emotionally shattering. Beautifully shot on location in Canada's breathtaking snowy wilderness by Ian Baker (Plenty, Roxanne). The strong supporting cast includes David Strathairn (Good Night, and Good Luck.), Danny Glover (Lethal Weapon), Josef Sommer (Witness) and James Tolkan (Back to the Future).
Really great news about this! I saw it a long time back on a television screening late at night and the ending was so impactful and moving that I ended up not being able to get to sleep for hours afterwards having to process it! Which would have been fine normally but I had to be up early the next morning!

I will be interested to see if it has the same effect a couple of decades later, but certain elements have stayed with me. Particularly the ending but also way that the whole theme of the film is about simulations and projections onto others, and the surprising turnabout that can happen when the subject being observed starts projecting back the other way. We may be used to looking through the glass at animals in captivity and observing their behaviour, but what happens when the iceman and his 'primitive' values start looking back at the researchers, and helicopters become mythical creatures come to take you to the other world?

And also in its usage of ersatz, manufactured, too good to be true habitats concealing the researchers and support staff behind one way mirrors, with that clinical separation getting definitively collapsed in the final section, it makes an interesting companion to something like Westworld!

senseabove

#2325 Post by senseabove » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:01 am

The KL Rep announced over on the other forum that the following titles are going out of print due to poor sales, and adds that the list will expand to "200 to 300 titles at least" but
none of these have expired or will expire before 2021. We're just not printing more of these if they end up selling out, so technically these have become limited editions till our deals expire for them. And more to come.
Here's a small starting list:

Absolution (1978)
Angie (1994)
At War with the Army (1950)
Avalanche (1978)
Back Roads (1981)
Bad Man's River (1972)
Betsy’s Wedding (1990) | Holy Matrimony (1994) Double Feature
Boys (1996)
Captain Apache (1972)
The Cemetery Club (1993)
Cop-Out (1967) Stranger in the House
Crossing the Bridge (1992) | Indian Summer (1993) Double Feature
Eleni (1985)
Finders Keepers (1984)
For Love of Ivy (1968)
Funny Bones (1995)
Haunted (2002 Complete Series)
Hester Street (1975)
The High Commissioner (1968) Nobody Runs Forever
Kotch (1971)
Loophole (1981)
The Naked Face (1984)
Paris Holiday (1958)
The Revengers (1972)
Something Big (1971)
Star Slammer (1986)
Table for Five (1983)
A Town Called Hell (1971)
Two Much (1996) | Miami Rhapsody (1995) Double Feature
The Unholy Four (1970) Chuck Mool
War Between Men and Women (1972)
Who is Harry Kellerman and Why is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me? (1971)
Shout if there are hidden gems in there—but it's mostly interesting that KL is letting titles go out of print now.