Quentin Tarantino

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
flyonthewall2983

Re: Quentin Tarantino

#376 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:07 am

Is that ever going to come out on Blu-ray/DVD?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#377 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:21 pm

It's still his print, still has French subs from Cannes. Not screened very often at all, actually. I saw it in Philadelphia a year and a half ago - it's a lot of fun and the film takes on a different character when you see everything all at once without the reveal at the end of the first part. The feeling of exhalation on the part of The Bride when she arrives at Bill's and sees... well, it's much more emotionally impactful.

Raymond Marble

#378 Post by Raymond Marble » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:25 am

mfunk9786 wrote:It's still his print, still has French subs from Cannes. Not screened very often at all, actually. I saw it in Philadelphia a year and a half ago - it's a lot of fun and the film takes on a different character when you see everything all at once without the reveal at the end of the first part. The feeling of exhalation on the part of The Bride when she arrives at Bill's and sees... well, it's much more emotionally impactful.
I remember that the final scene of Volume 1 is cut (as are the closing credits to Volume 1 and opening credits to Volume 2, which makes sense, and also makes the full credits at the end of Volume 2 more logical), but isn't the anime sequence in Whole Bloody longer than the one in Volume 1? It might just be the victim of a fuzzy memory, but I thought the anime sequence in Volume 1 and Integrale was the same. Integrale also had a forced intermission, like how the 70mm prints of The Hateful Eight will have, with some cool accompanying music.

This all said, maybe I was too quick to write off what Wikipedia had to say about the whole thing, as they list Integrale as having played Cannes in 2003 when in fact it was 2004. That was good enough for me to disregard anything else they said that didn't gel with my memory.

And while I'm here talking about fuzzy memories of the Cannes screening, here's a detail better burned into my memory. Integrale only screened the once at the festival, at the end, the same day awards were announced (Tarantino had to rush off after the screening to attend the press conference re: the awards). The screening was held in Salle Debussy, which I had spent a lot of time in that festival, and I had cemented my usual seat as being in the back row of the first floor, in the very center. Though I was one of the first ones in the auditorium to see Integrale, I was displeased to find that my seat was reserved, so I had to sit somewhere else--I went maybe four rows forward, and sat in the middle there. Turned out my seat was being reserved for Quentin and his entourage, and the whole movie I could hear Quentin laughing at the movie, often at times no one else was (which struck me as endearing). At one point prior to intermission, one of the theatre's spotlights randomly turned on and was pointed at the audience, which was distracting. It stayed on for a good minute, and eventually Mr. Tarantino yelled, "Hey... HEY!!!" They turned it off, and he yelled, slightly less loud, "Dummies!"

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#379 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:36 am

Longer anime sequence, a bit more extended violence, no B&W or the closeup blinks during the fight with the a Crazy 88... all improvements, quite honestly. I wish I'd seen the film that way the first time, even though it's pretty darn great either way.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#380 Post by lacritfan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:50 pm

flyonthewall2983

#382 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:09 pm

He's on the recent episode of The Nerdist. I would bet that's a much more exciting and funny listen than his Bret Easton Ellis interview.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#383 Post by lacritfan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:06 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#386 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:39 pm

Well, it's happening to me - everyone seems to come around to the charms of Jackie Brown eventually, and I would now count myself among those people after being lukewarm on it for years. Even though I saw it projected by someone I can only assume was a trained monkey (what's the point of touting a rare 35mm screening of something if you don't have anyone on staff who knows how to work a projector, Philadelphia Film Society?), the charms of the picture finally caught up to me.

Samuel L. Jackson, who sort of seemed out of place to me the first few times I went down the road with this film, really popped out as the standout performer this time around, all menace and id and clearly enjoying chewing up the dialogue as much as he did in Pulp Fiction or The Hateful Eight. Do I wish Tarantino hadn't filmed the central romance as though he's never seen two adults fall in love with each other before? Yes. Do I wish it were edited more tightly (there is too much Keaton, and there is no reason the shopping mall stuff needs to be shown to us from so many perspectives - it's indulgent without the benefit of being something we want to see over and over)? Yes. But this is a good bordering on great film that I can now confidently enjoy while still rolling my eyes at people who either insist it's his best (it's somewhere toward the bottom above Reservoir Dogs and Death Proof but no higher than that) or worse, insist it's his last (or only!) good film. Because it's none of those things! But I'm very glad that I've allowed myself to give in to its more modest charms.

bearcuborg

#387 Post by bearcuborg » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:19 pm

I loved Jackie Brown, instantly, since 1997. Yet having seen most of his films in the theater, nothing will ever feel like the wallop that was Pulp Fiction.

The clip of Tony Curtis on Tom Snyder still makes me laugh out loud whenever I see it...as does DeNiro’s bong hit. The only thing I would change is the THREE MINUTES LATER title card. I think it would been funnier to see DeNiro fuck Fonda in real time. Mad Dog and Glory made great use of such a tactic.

I like the pieces coming together at the mall, and while I never thought of Keaton’s roll being excessive, Jackson has never been better. With all the shit he has going on, he still makes the time to point out Sharonda is a lousy house keeper. Pam Grier is stunning and the soundtrack feels almost magical at times.

I’m in the camp of this is my favorite, and I haven’t cared for much since... He seemed to really be on a personal high when promoting it, and if you can find it, his appearance on Stern was quite good. Even the odious Weinstein makes a small appearance.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#388 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:06 pm

bearcuborg wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:19 pm
He seemed to really be on a personal high
That's one way of putting it, I guess!

black&huge

#389 Post by black&huge » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:14 pm

I just wanted to chime in that the one isolated scene with Chris Tucker and Sam Jackson is one of my favorite/best things Tarantino has ever done. I don't think it gets enough mention in all these years.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#390 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:16 pm

Chris Tucker appears on some interesting plane manifests - you might be seeing it as b-roll on the news pretty soon!

Grand Wazoo

#391 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:45 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:16 pm
Chris Tucker appears on some interesting plane manifests - you might be seeing it as b-roll on the news pretty soon!
I thought it was confirmed that it was not the Chris Tucker.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#392 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Who is it, then? I've heard that too, but haven't seen who it's actually supposed to be instead. Anyway!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#393 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:34 am

I'm so, so sorry for getting this going again but I've given this a lot of thought over the last couple of days, considering that this new one may be the penultimate film in Tarantino's career! Tier 1 is pretty much interchangeable for me depending on when you ask (and considering one is still very fresh), but I really mulled over how I'd rank them. I think revisionist history and justifiable revenge is this filmmaker at his best and in some ways most tender. I see Tarantino's humanity come through most when he's processing his feelings about injustices both large and small, although I realize I might be pretty far out in the minority when it comes to that. And I like to see filmmakers' humanity and to consider what makes them tick more than just about anything about watching movies.

EDIT: After seeing Once Upon a Time... a few times, I'm prepared to place it at the top of this list. It's one of my favorite films of all time.

Tier 1

01. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
02. Inglourious Basterds
03. Django Unchained
04. Kill Bill

Tier 2

05. Pulp Fiction
06. The Hateful Eight
07. Jackie Brown
08. Death Proof

Tier 3 (and the only one I'd say I don't really care for)

09. Reservoir Dogs

therewillbeblus

#394 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:48 pm

It's wonderful to see someone else rank Inglourious Basterds at the top! I'm seeing Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood tonight, and probably want to wait to see how it settles before placing it in the ranks, but I'd only slightly tinker with your assessment. Django wouldn't be quite so high, but after Basterds and Kill Bill, the second tier of the remaining six films is pretty much interchangeable on any given day, though the same ones tend to float at the bottom, and they too match your list.

Luke M

Re: Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)

#395 Post by Luke M » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:37 pm

FWIW,

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill
Inglorious Basterds
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs
Django Unchained
Death Proof
Hateful 8

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)

#396 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Luke M wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:37 pm
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill
This is of course the only top 2 that makes any sense

*not yet having seen this latest one

misterjunior

#397 Post by misterjunior » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:01 pm

Really? I find Jackie Brown to be his best-- or at least neck and neck with Kill Bill-- because the characters feel so much more like real, fully developed people/characters than anywhere else in his filmography. But I don't tend to really like Tarantino too much so I think I also like it for what it isn't at least to some extent, whereas I think people who tend to like Tarantino more fault it for its comparative lack of violence, pastiches of/nods toward other films, quirky/hyper-stylized dialogue, etc. On the other hand the last couple times I've started watching Pulp Fiction I've turned it off. Ditto The Hateful Eight.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#398 Post by tenia » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:15 pm

I still have huge issues with IB and never liked Death Proof's borefest. Surprisingly, I'm very on-and-off with Pulp Fiction. However, I instantly fell in love with KB Vol 2 ans having recently seen it again, I confirm how beautiful this last half hour is.

R0lf

#399 Post by R0lf » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:55 am

Tarantino should have won the Oscar for PULP FICTION so that he didn't have to direct so much "Oscar worthy" material afterward (WW2, slavery, post Civil War).

His best movies are JACKIE BROWN, KILL BILL, and DEATHPROOF.

He should have kept on with the pulp bent and waited for audiences to catch up instead of dumbing it down on what people judge as serious material.

knives

#400 Post by knives » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:00 am

That is an interesting perspective.