Festival Circuit 2019

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
cdnchris
Site Admin

Re: Festival Circuit 2019

#276 Post by cdnchris » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:56 pm

And only 11 are listed...

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#278 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:37 pm

This now-deleted tweet from someone apparently connected to the Venice Film Festival is bouncing around Twitter, hinting at not only some of the expected titles (from Roy Andersson to Polanksi) but a new cut of Noe's Irreversible and an even longer cut of the much-mocked Mektoub, My Love: Intermezzo

Big Ben

#279 Post by Big Ben » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:57 pm

A new cut of Irreversible? Should be interesting to see people's reaction to that in 2019 if anything.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#280 Post by Omensetter » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:50 pm

Succivalli is legit and I am willing to bet that ninety percent of those titles will be in Venice in Competition---he's on the selection committee, albeit not for Competition (doesn't mean he hasn't seen those tweeted films). I guess it's somewhat unfortunate that he had to delete his tweet, but he's a known commodity, and word gets around.

I stop short of one-hundred percent because Polanski's film screamed Cannes and has been in-and-out of the Venice lineup (and not for reasons related to his current persona non grata status in the U.S.). That said, obviously this festival has been an Oscar launching pad for the last decade, so I imagine there will be some rearrangements.

DarkImbecile

#281 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:40 pm

46th Telluride Film Festival Poster:

Also, apologies to everyone in advance and fair warning that from now through Labor Day I'll be regularly hijacking this thread to post a bunch of Telluride-related anticipation, news, and reports from the festival, starting with the imminent lineup announcements for Toronto (tomorrow), Venice (Thursday), and New York (probably two weeks from tomorrow) that will provide hints to the Telluride schedule.

For today, here's what I'm hoping I'll get a chance to see in just over a month — before at least half of these are eliminated by premiere announcements for the other two big late summer festivals over the next 72 hours:

17 Most Wanted — Seventeen features is the most I can possibly fit into the four day festival, so if I was curating my own schedule out of all the speculated titles for the fall season, this is what it would look like at the moment:
Ad Astra (Gray)
Bacurau (Dornelles / Mendonça Filho)
Dolor y Gloria (Almodovar)
Dry Run (Haynes)
Ema (Larrain)
A Hidden Life (Malick)
JoJo Rabbit (Waititi)
The Lighthouse (Eggers)
Lucy in the Sky (Hawley)
Motherless Brooklyn (Norton)
Nomadland (Zhao)
Parasite (Bong)
Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Sciamma)
The Report (Burns)
The Truth (Kore-eda)
Uncut Gems (Safdie Bros.)
Wasp Network (Assayas)

Definite Interest:
Ahmed (Dardennes)
Atlantique (Diop)
Bad Education (Finley)
Bergman Island (Hansen-Løve)
First Cow (Reichardt)
The Goldfinch (Crowley)
Just Mercy (Cretton)
The King (Michôd)
The Last Thing He Wanted (Rees)
The Laundromat (Soderbergh)
Little Women (Gerwig)
Marriage Story (Baumbach)
Mr. Jones (Holland)
The Personal History of David Copperfield (Iannucci)
The Pope (Merielles)
Queen + Slim (Matsoukas)
Synonymes (Lapid)
The Whistlers (Porumboiu)

Maybe, Depending on Reviews/Buzz:
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Heller)
Fair and Balanced (Roach)
Ford vs. Ferrari (Mangold)
The Good Liar (Condon)
Harriet (Lemmons)
Kajillionaire (July)
The Kindness of Strangers (Scherfig)
The True History of the Kelly Gang (Kurzel)

Highly Unlikely But Just Barely Possible:
1917 (Mendes)
Gemini Man (Lee)
Joker (Phillips)

I know several posters here do the New York, London, and Philly festivals; is anybody else planning on attending Venice, Telluride, or Toronto?

DarkImbecile

#282 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:57 am

First wave of Toronto announcements

Major World and North American premieres include:
Bad Education (Finley)
Coming Home Again (Wang)
Ema (Larrain)
The Goldfinch (Crowley)
Jojo Rabbit (Waititi)
Joker (Phillips)
Just Mercy (Cretton)
Knives Out (Johnson)
The Lighthouse (Eggers)
The Personal History of David Copperfield (Iannuci)

Cremildo

#283 Post by Cremildo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:53 am

Also of note, new work by Meirelles, Amenábar, and Egoyan.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#284 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:14 pm

Shocked that Lou Ye got another film through the censors in the midst of all the heightened scrutiny (but of course it's possible it could still get pulled). I also can't help but notice that The Shadow Play has had no festival play since Berlin, though it did get a theatrical release in China.

BenoitRouilly

#285 Post by BenoitRouilly » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:25 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:40 pm
Kajillionaire (July)
What's the word around Miranda July's new film? I'm quite fond of her quirky work

DarkImbecile

#286 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:10 pm

BenoitRouilly wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:25 pm
DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:40 pm
Kajillionaire (July)
What's the word around Miranda July's new film? I'm quite fond of her quirky work
I haven't heard any advance word yet, and nothing more than speculation that it might show up at one or more of the fall festivals; it's an Annapurna co-production, so I hope the recent instability there hasn't caused any delay or disruption in its release plans.

BenoitRouilly

#287 Post by BenoitRouilly » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:30 pm

Thanks. I'll have to wait for Telluride *if* it premières there, to read criticism on it. She didn't direct for 9 years now!

I don't even understand the "pitch" on IMDb :
"A woman's life is turned upside down when her criminal parents invite an outsider to join them on a major heist they're planning."
She's doing a genre movie for a change? And sadly she's not acting in it.

DarkImbecile

#288 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:26 am

DarkImbecile

#289 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Venice Festival head Alberto Barbera addresses Polanski, Allen in THR interview:
What can you tell us about the Polanski film?

It’s a big movie. He did a great, great job to reconstruct a historical, accurate expression of the case, based on two documents of the time. It’s a great cast with a wonderful script. And of course he projects his own personal experience. It’s a very strong political statement that not only concerns the past, but is a very contemporary statement about racism and other types of problems. It’s on the same scale of The Pianist, and similar in that it’s connected to his own experience.

Do you expect anyone to protest his inclusion?

I hope not. We are here to see works of art, not to judge the person behind it. I hope we can just discuss about the quality of the film and not about Polanski and the case with L.A. County.

What was your reaction to the Academy taking away his membership?

He’s one of the last great European filmmakers, one of the last true artists from the classical period of 20th Century cinema. I don’t think he deserved to be kicked out of the Academy. I don’t think it’s fair and more than that, I don’t think it’s right.

What about concerning the new accusations against him?

I think we should always make a distinction between the artist and the man. The history or art is full of artists who were assassins, criminals, had extremely bad behavior. But they were big artists and their works remain. Caravaggio was a killer, but he’s one of the major painters of the Italian Baroque period. It’s not so different.

If someone commits a crime, you should put them in jail. Why not? But this doesn’t mean that we should forget that he is an artist and did some works of art that are part of our film history and cultural heritage.

There was speculation that Woody Allen’s A Rainy Day in New York would be in the festival as it’s releasing in Italy in October. Was that an option for you?

The choice of the distribution company [Lucky Red] was to not spoil the film before the commercial release. I didn’t see the film so I didn’t have chance to discuss the possibility to invite it or not.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#290 Post by Omensetter » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:21 pm

I'm surprised and amazed Assayas finished Wasp Network in time for the festival---yet another prolific and rewarding decade from him.

The Guerra also probably qualifies as a surprise, although I've not much interest unless the reviews are outstanding, etc. He managed to get Chris Menges to shoot his film, it appears.

The producers are really going all-in on Baumbach at the Oscars---his film could hit all four major festivals, something that less than ten have done this decade.
------
DarkImbecile appears to have scored another huge premiere:

"The director claimed to have secured every title he wanted - apart from Kelly Reichardt’s First Cow. He said it will premiere at Telluride before playing Toronto. “The film is really beautiful, but A24 hasn’t yet found an international distributor and decided to show it only in America.”

https://www.screendaily.com/venice-dire ... 32.article

DarkImbecile

#291 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Omensetter wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:21 pm
DarkImbecile appears to have scored another huge premiere:

"The director claimed to have secured every title he wanted - apart from Kelly Reichardt’s First Cow. He said it will premiere at Telluride before playing Toronto. “The film is really beautiful, but A24 hasn’t yet found an international distributor and decided to show it only in America.”
Thanks for the heads up on that one!

That means that as of today, with NYFF and more Toronto announcements still looming with further information, Telluride has 10 titles "confirmed" (though Toronto's premiere designations tipped several films to show in Venice that ended up not being there, so these all have to be taken with at least small-to-moderate grains of salt):
Dolor y Gloria (Almodovar)
First Cow (Reichardt)
Ford vs. Ferrari (Mangold)
Judy (Goold)
Marriage Story (Baumbach)
Motherless Brooklyn (Norton)
Parasite (Bong)
Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Sciamma)
The Two Popes (Merielles)
Uncut Gems (Safdie Bros.)

I'll be aiming to see all of these except the Judy Garland biopic (not particularly interested, and if Zellweger scores a nomination I'll likely end up seeing it during its theatrical run) and The Two Popes, which will depend on what I hear about it at the festival, though I am intrigued that it purportedly has a more comedic bent than previously expected.

Those that will definitely not be playing in Telluride include (with the real heartbreakers highlighted):
Bad Education (Finley)
Coming Home Again (Wang)
Ema - (Larrain) - Surprised by this absence in particular, as he received a tribute when they screened Neruda a few years ago
The Goldfinch (Crowley)
Harriet (Lemmons)
JoJo Rabbit (Waititi)
Joker (Phillips)
Just Mercy (Cretton)
Knives Out (Johnson)
The Lighthouse (Eggers)
The Personal History of David Copperfield (Iannucci)
The True History of the Kelly Gang (Kurzel)
While at War (Amenábar)

Which leaves me with the following titles that are still possible:
10 Most Wanted:
Ad Astra (Gray)
Bacurau (Dornelles / Mendonça Filho)
Dry Run (Haynes)
A Hidden Life (Malick)
Lucy in the Sky (Hawley)
Nomadland (Zhao)
The Report (Burns)
The Truth (Kore-eda)
Waiting for the Barbarians (Guerra)
Wasp Network (Assayas)

Definite Interest:
About Endlessness (Andersson)
Ahmed (Dardennes)
American Woman (Challas)
Atlantique (Diop)
Bergman Island (Hansen-Løve)
Clemency (Chukwu)
Family Romance LLC (Herzog)
The King (Michôd)
The Last Thing He Wanted (Rees)
Little Women (Gerwig)
Mr. Jones (Holland)
Queen + Slim (Matsoukas)
Seberg (Andrews)
Synonymes (Lapid)
The Whistlers (Porumboiu)

Maybe, Depending on Reviews/Buzz:
Fair and Balanced (Roach)
The Good Liar (Condon)
Kajillionaire (July)
The Kindness of Strangers (Scherfig)
Molly (Potter)

DarkImbecile

#292 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:00 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#293 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:13 pm

If that's any indication, fall festival season this year feels pretty light compared to the last few years. Sort of disappointing.

DarkImbecile

#294 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:15 pm

Much like the rest of this year film-wise, the festival offerings feel pretty strong to me from an international perspective but distressingly weak on the American/English-language front

Black Hat

#295 Post by Black Hat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:43 pm

Almodovar designed that ghastly poster? It's almost like NYFF is trying to repel the casual customer from attending. I can't even imagine the randomly hilarious commentary that'll be happening when this thing shows up at bus stops.

As usual the most interesting aspect of the festival will be whoever they decide to spotlight in their retrospective program.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#296 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:02 pm

Ah yes, because nothing has more of an impact on ticket and badge sales for a major film festival than the poster

DarkImbecile

#297 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:20 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:43 pm
Almodovar designed that ghastly poster? It's almost like NYFF is trying to repel the casual customer from attending.
This poster?

BH, I insist that you take a look at this and recalibrate your expectations for what a bad festival poster can be.

Black Hat

#298 Post by Black Hat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:30 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:02 pm
Ah yes, because nothing has more of an impact on ticket and badge sales for a major film festival than the poster
You clearly know nothing about how New York City advertising/marketing works, but your attempt at sarcasm was almost niche subreddit worthy.

DI: Yes that poster. I noticed Tel too and was wondering if that's where they got this dumb idea from. Nobody outside of the most pretentious American film industry types give a shit about a festival you can get to on horseback, but brilliant of NYFF to draw inspiration from it. It fits right in with the mission of Film Society or whatever they're trying to rebrand themselves as these days. Man do I have a lot of thoughts about that fiasco but 'tis unwise to speaketh outloud, alas.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#299 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:33 pm

It's a stunning poster, which is what's so funny about your grousing - and for the record, yes, I'm aware you guys have subway ads

Black Hat

#300 Post by Black Hat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:35 pm

I hope you're right mf.