Fleabag

Discuss TV shows old and new.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Fleabag

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:42 pm

Have two episodes left in the second season of Fleabag and it's just the best half hour television series in years and years and years. Shades of the heights of Woody Allen's 70s output - quick and clever and boundlessly creative in the ways it presents a relatively straightforward "screwed up millennial moves about modern urban life" narrative.

I feel like I'm late to the party to some extent, but I'll add my voice to the chorus that thinks Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the next gigantic thing. Greta Gerwig comparisons seem inevitable, among others, but despite my sincere admiration of Gerwig, that almost feels like a bit of a short-sell.

Also worth mentioning that Waller-Bridge not having a social media presence is a breath of fresh air. Finding that the artists I admire most these days eschew that sort of thing entirely, and beginning to wonder if that isn't just a coincidence.

Persona

Re: TV of 2019

#2 Post by Persona » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:41 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:42 pm
Have two episodes left in the second season of Fleabag and it's just the best half hour television series in years and years and years. Shades of the heights of Woody Allen's 70s output - quick and clever and boundlessly creative in the ways it presents a relatively straightforward "screwed up millennial moves about modern urban life" narrative.

I feel like I'm late to the party to some extent, but I'll add my voice to the chorus that thinks Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the next gigantic thing. Greta Gerwig comparisons seem inevitable, among others, but despite my sincere admiration of Gerwig, that almost feels like a bit of a short-sell.

Also worth mentioning that Waller-Bridge not having a social media presence is a breath of fresh air. Finding that the artists I admire most these days eschew that sort of thing entirely, and beginning to wonder if that isn't just a coincidence.
I don't typically go for shows of this ilk--dramedies about some neurotic young-ish adult(s) dealing with relationships and learning life lessons--but I just finished season one and, yeah, the show is so well-observed, it's so funny, and Waller-Bridge is so dang good in it... I can't help but love it. Even the talking-to-the-camera gimmick works like gangbusters, and I usually hate that sort of thing.

The punchline of the "Sail" prologue in episode 2 had me laughing for a good minute, and I'm a dude.

denti alligator

Re: Fleabag

#3 Post by denti alligator » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:22 pm

The second season one-ups the first. Some of the best drama television in episode one, which also has a good number of laughs. Not sure it gets better than that restaurant episode, but it's still pretty stunning.

onedimension

#4 Post by onedimension » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:29 am

It’s good. The writing is solid but not flashy - and not hyperarticulate - the acting and the directing of the acting are very good - apart from the Ferris Bueller stuff (I love when the priest notices it, objects from within his reality, and never gets or persists after an explanation), I’d throw Mike Leigh’s name in as a reference point, too

Lost Highway

#5 Post by Lost Highway » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:06 am

I’ve only seen the first season so far. Liked it but I don’t quite get all the excitement over it. Maybe having lived in the UK for 33 has injured me to this style of comedy and I hate all the breaking the 4th wall stuff. I’ll see whether I’ll become a convert with season 2 but there is always so much else to watch.

I have been a huge fan of season 1 of Killing Eve, also written by Waller-Bridge. She didn’t have much involvement with season 2 and there was a distinct drop in quality.
Last edited by Lost Highway on Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Persona

#6 Post by Persona » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:37 am

I did not know that about Killing Eve... guess I can finish Season 1 and focus on other stuff.

Any time I find out a show went downhill it's almost liberating, that's how oversaturated we are with decent-to-great TV now.

Lost Highway

#7 Post by Lost Highway » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:01 am

I feel the same about TV shows these days. Killing Eve is still watchable because of its two leads, but season 2 felt like it’s treading water.

Matt

#8 Post by Matt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Lost Highway wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:06 am
I have been a huge fan of season 1 of Killing Eve, also written by Waller-Bridge.
In the interest of exactitude, Waller-Bridge takes writing credit for only 4 of the episodes of the first season of Killing Eve. To me it was obvious which ones she wrote without even looking at the credits, the difference in the dialogue being that stark. She is otherwise credited as executive producer of both seasons (as well as a "developed for television by" credit). The show has been renewed for a third season, to be overseen by Fear the Walking Dead's Suzanne Heathcote (instead of Season 2's Emerald Fennell).

Jodie Comer and, to a lesser extent, Sandra Oh are a lot of fun to watch, but I bailed after the first few episodes of Season 2.

Fleabag Season 2, on the other hand, is as great as everyone says it is. I watched it in one sitting the day it showed up on Amazon and will certainly be watching it again soon.

Lost Highway

Re: Fleaba

#9 Post by Lost Highway » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:39 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:17 pm
Lost Highway wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:06 am
I have been a huge fan of season 1 of Killing Eve, also written by Waller-Bridge.
In the interest of exactitude, Waller-Bridge takes writing credit for only 4 of the episodes of the first season of Killing Eve. To me it was obvious which ones she wrote without even looking at the credits, the difference in the dialogue being that stark. She is otherwise credited as executive producer of both seasons (as well as a "developed for television by" credit). The show has been renewed for a third season, to be overseen by Fear the Walking Dead's Suzanne Heathcote (instead of Season 2's Emerald Fennell).

Jodie Comer and, to a lesser extent, Sandra Oh are a lot of fun to watch, but I bailed after the first few episodes of Season 2.

Fleabag Season 2, on the other hand, is as great as everyone says it is. I watched it in one sitting the day it showed up on Amazon and will certainly be watching it again soon.
I knew that she didn’t write all episodes of season 1. I was under the impression that as the head writer she took more control over the entire show, comparable to a show runner for a US show. Emerald Fennell took over as head writer for season 2 and an executive producer credit can be pretty meaningless in terms of involvement.

I’ll watch Fleabag 2 eventuality. I didn’t dislike season 1, I just didn’t get what the effusive praise was all about. Got Fosse/Verdon lined up next though...

Matt

Re: Fleaba

#10 Post by Matt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:59 pm

Lost Highway wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:39 pm
I knew that she didn’t write all episodes of season 1. I was under the impression that as the head writer she took more control over the entire show, comparable to a show runner for a US show.
Yes, this is why I was careful to write "takes writing credit for" instead of "wrote."

BTW Fosse/Verdon is a mixed bag but Michelle Williams gives an absolute knockout of a performance.

therewillbeblus

#11 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:25 pm

I'll echo the praise for Fleabag. I watched season 1 a few years ago when it dropped on Prime, and after that gut-punch of an ending season 2 was a welcome relief. I don't feel quite as enthusiastic about season 2 as some, but the first and last episodes were terrific, with the series finale being one of the best half-hours of tv in recent memory (though my favorite episode will always be the silent meditation retreat in season 1).

Persona

#12 Post by Persona » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:59 am

Okay, finished S2. I'm mostly in agreement with the post directly above me that while this was still an excellent season of television, I think I prefer S1. That said, I also agree that the first and last episodes of S2 were quite strong, and "Hot Priest" was a good addition (even if I did miss Harry a bit).
SpoilerShow
The whole confession scene in the penultimate episode was truly great stuff. It seems such an obvious and easy set-up for that type of moment but the execution and performances are really wonderful and the way it concludes is quite potent. Might be my highlight of the whole series so far.