People on Sunday

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

People on Sunday

#1 Post by MichaelB » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:22 am

From a BFI press release:
WEIMAR CINEMA: BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS – May/June 2019

Marking 100 years since the founding of the Weimar Republic, BFI Southbank will host a two month season looking at WEIMAR CINEMA from 1919-1933, including films such as THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI (Robert Wiene, 1920) and EMIL AND THE DETECTIVES (Gerhard Lamprecht, 1931). This major season will include must-see classics, rare discoveries, special events with live musical accompaniment and the UK Blu-ray premiere of PEOPLE ON SUNDAY (Robert Siodmak, Edgar G Ulmer, 1929).

artfilmfan

Re: People on Sunday

#2 Post by artfilmfan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:03 am

Is People on Sunday a new restoration or is it the same one that Criterion used?

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:29 am

Literally everything I know about this release has been reproduced above.

artfilmfan

#4 Post by artfilmfan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:46 am

Here’s hoping that it is a new restoration. I love this film.

4LOM

#5 Post by 4LOM » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:54 pm

The new German Blu-ray is from a 2014 restoration by the Deutsche Kinemathek and EYE Filminstituut Nederland.

artfilmfan

#6 Post by artfilmfan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:47 pm

Hopefully the BFI will use the 2014 restoration and that it will be an improvement over the Criterion.

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#7 Post by Godot » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:59 pm

Adrian Martin's wikipedia page notes he recorded a commentary track for this release.
People on Sunday (Siodmak/Ulmer – BFI, June 2019)

Lost Highway

#8 Post by Lost Highway » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:05 am

No information on which scores will be on the disc. Have utterly fallen in love with the Elena Kats-Chernin score on the Criterion and now can’t imagine watching the film without it.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#9 Post by tenia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:14 am

He also states that he recorded some for Hold Back The Dawn and The Far Country, both "upcoming" from Arrow.

artfilmfan

#10 Post by artfilmfan » Thu May 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Updated information is up at Amazon UK. Two scores, one of which is new. I’m glad they keep the Kats-Chernin score. Even with the commentary, I am not sure whether I should buy it again. I already have the Criterion BRD and the BFI DVD.

Lost Highway

#11 Post by Lost Highway » Fri May 17, 2019 5:43 am

That’s great news. If this is an upgrade in terms of PQ, I’m in. As a Berliner, tied with Possession this is my favourite Berlin movie.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#12 Post by tenia » Fri May 17, 2019 6:55 am

I doubt this will provide a noticeable upgrade, since it's extremely likely to be sourced from the same restoration.

artfilmfan

#13 Post by artfilmfan » Fri May 17, 2019 8:40 am

I agree that this is likely sourced from the same restoration that Criterion used.

andyli

#14 Post by andyli » Fri May 17, 2019 9:08 am

In Germany there is a blu-ray for People on Sunday released in October, 2018. On the back cover it claims to be from a 2014 restoration by Deutsche Kinemathek and EYE Film Institute Netherlands. Since the old Criterion blu-ray pre-dates this restoration, I'd say a newer, restored transfer had been created. The German release has since been followed up by a French blu-ray in 2019, and there is no reason BFI should not follow suit.

p.s. The Testament of Dr. Mabuse was released with a new transfer in Germnay around the same time.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#15 Post by tenia » Fri May 17, 2019 10:16 am

Oh ok, my bad then, I missed this newer restoration.

artfilmfan

#16 Post by artfilmfan » Fri May 17, 2019 11:47 am

Wasn’t the Kats-Chernin score, which Criterion used, commissioned by the BFI ? If that was the case, it suggests there is a relationship between the BFI and Criterion and therefore that relationship might entice the BFI to use the same digitized source that Criterion used (for economic reason).

MichaelB

#17 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 30, 2019 5:59 am

Full specs announced:
People on Sunday
(Menschen am Sonntag)
Directed by Robert Siodmak & Edgar G Ulmer

Blu-ray release on 17 June 2019

In this vivid snapshot of Weimar life, a group of young Berliners enjoy a typical lazy Sunday, including a trip to the city’s suburban lakes. Flirtations, rivalries and petty jealousies ensue as they all try to wring the last from their weekend even while Monday and the weekly routine loom. On 17 June 2019 the BFI will bring People on Sunday to Blu-ray for the first time in the UK. It is presented with two vibrant scores, a documentary, three short films and a new audio commentary.

As the original negative of this film is lost and no complete copy exists, this restored version was reconstructed by The Eye Institute in the Netherlands and the 2K scan was digitally restored by Deutsche Kinemathek.

People on Sunday launched the careers of a group of influential young filmmakers who would achieve international success: future Academy Award®-winners Billy Wilder (The Apartment), Eugen Schüfftan (The Hustler) and Fred Zinnemann (A Man for All Seasons), the future noir masters Robert Siodmak (The Killers) and Edgar G Ulmer (Detour), and prolific fantasy screenwriter and novelist Curt Siodmak (The Wolf Man).

This release coincides with BFI Southbank’s major two-month season to mark the centenary of the Weimar Republic. BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS: WEIMAR CINEMA 1919-1933 which opened on 3 May and runs until 30 June, is celebrating one of the most innovative and ground-breaking chapters in the history of cinema.

Special features
• Presented in High Definition;
• Two vibrant scores by leading Australian composer Elena Kats-Chernin and the experimental Icelandic group múm;
Weekend am Wannsee (Weekend at the Wannsee, 2000, 31 mins): Gerald Koll’s documentary about People on Sunday, featuring interviews with star Brigitte Borchert and writer Curt Siodmak;
Eine Fahrt durch Berlin (A Trip Through Berlin, 1910, 6 mins): a ride through the streets of Berlin, from the bustling Friedrichstraße and Leipziger Straße to the city seen from the Spree;
Beside the Seaside (1935, 23 mins): Marion Grierson’s beguiling picture of the British seaside, with a commentary written by WH Auden;
This Year – London (1951, 28 mins): documentary by John Krish following the adventures of Leicester factory workers on their staff outing to London;
• Newly commissioned commentary by Adrian Martin (2019, 75 mins);
• Illustrated booklet featuring new writing from Amanda DeMarco, Sarah Wood and Örvar Smárason (first pressing only)

Product details
RRP: £19.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1348 / E
Germany / 1929 / black and white / 75 mins / silent with German intertitles and English subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.33:1 / BD50, 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 stereo audio (48kHz/24-bit) and Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo audio (192 kbps)

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#18 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu May 30, 2019 6:23 am

Was on the fence about this as I have the Criterion but with an Adrian Martin commentary, a soundtrack by the delectable múm and more John Krish I might just buy 10

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#19 Post by swo17 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:26 am

That Krish film previously appeared on Vol. 1 of the British Transport Films Collection released by Kino in the US and BFI in the UK

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#20 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu May 30, 2019 9:59 am

swo17 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:26 am
That Krish film previously appeared on Vol. 1 of the British Transport Films Collection released by Kino in the US and BFI in the UK
aye but no on yer blu

artfilmfan

#21 Post by artfilmfan » Thu May 30, 2019 5:52 pm

NoN,

If you do buy 10, will you randomly select one, read the booklet that is included and let us know who gets the credit for the restoration that is used for this release?

MichaelB

#22 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 30, 2019 5:53 pm

artfilmfan wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:52 pm
NoN,

If you do buy 10, will you randomly select one, read the booklet that is included and let us know who gets the credit for the restoration that is used for this release?
From the press release:
this restored version was reconstructed by The Eye Institute in the Netherlands and the 2K scan was digitally restored by Deutsche Kinemathek.

artfilmfan

#23 Post by artfilmfan » Thu May 30, 2019 8:07 pm

Thanks, MichaelB.

This has been in my shopping basket for a while now. I might have to check out soon before the stock at my favorite shop is run out due to the anticipated large purchase by NoN.

artfilmfan

#24 Post by artfilmfan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:37 pm

Based on MichaelB’s post above, I was under the impression that the restoration that was used for the German BRD release would be used for this BFI release. But Chris’ review indicates that it is the same restoration that Criterion used.

4LOM

#25 Post by 4LOM » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:51 pm

artfilmfan wrote:Based on MichaelB’s post above, I was under the impression that the restoration that was used for the German BRD release would be used for this BFI release. But Chris’ review indicates that it is the same restoration that Criterion used.
Rewind / DVD Compare
[...]The film was restored by the EYE Film Institute in the Netherlands in 1997 and 1998. With the original negative lost, the restoration was based on a Dutch release print which was 400 meters shorter than the German version. With additonal footage found in various archives, the film was lengthened to 1,839 meters, though still missing about 200 meters worth of original material. The original German intertitles were recreated from surviving information and inserted for the restoration. This would be considered the restored version. In 2010 the restored version was digitized and in 2014 it was remastered in 2K at ARRI in Berlin under the supervision of Deutsche Cinematek.[...]
It is the master used for the German Blu-ray. The Criterion BD was released in 2011.