Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
colinr0380

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#826 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:41 pm

A large, eclectic and interesting selection of films next week: BBC2 has Rachel Weisz versus Timothy Spall film Denial at 10.45 p.m. on Saturday 4th followed immediately at 12.30 a.m. by a repeat of Oliver Hischbeigel's film 13 Minutes: The Plot to Assassinate Adolph Hitler

Channel 4 has John Turturro directing Woody Allen in Fading Gigolo at 12.05 a.m. on Monday 6th. Ewan McGregor and Alicia Vikander are in Son of a Gun at 11 p.m. on Channel 5 on Monday 6th.

But most exciting is that Channel 4 is showing Xavier Dolan's It's Only The End Of The World at 1.55 a.m. in the early hours of Wednesday 8th, and BBC2 is showing Olivier Assayas' Personal Shopper at 11 p.m. on Friday 10th.

(All of which get lower star ratings in the Radio Times than the premiere of the Baywatch movie on Saturday and the Will Ferrell/Kevin Hart comedy Get Hard on Sunday! 8-[ )

thirtyframesasecond

#827 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed May 01, 2019 4:22 pm

Hey I won't pretend that Baywatch isn't relatively fun to watch.

colinr0380

#828 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:46 am

I don't see how any Baywatch movie that gets rid of the two major assets from the original series (Pamela Anderson. Three draws if you count David Hasselhoff) can possibly be worth seeing!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#829 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 02, 2019 11:32 am

How dare you swerve Yasmine Bleeth like that

thirtyframesasecond

#830 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Thu May 02, 2019 4:10 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:46 am
I don't see how any Baywatch movie that gets rid of the two major assets from the original series (Pamela Anderson. Three draws if you count David Hasselhoff) can possibly be worth seeing!
Both Pam and Hasselhoff naturally cameo. The Rock/Efron bantz is quite amusing and Priyanka clearly knows it's crap and revels in it.

jlnight

#831 Post by jlnight » Sat May 04, 2019 2:47 pm

Songwriter, Fri 10th May, Talking Pictures. Also on Tue 14th May.

The Mountain Men, Sat 11th May, Talking Pictures. Also Sun 19th May.
Boyz 'n' the Hood, Sat 11th May, BBC2.

A Walk in the Spring Rain, Sun 12th May, Talking Pictures.
Fool's Parade, Sun 12th May, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 15th May.

White Water Summer, Mon 13th May, Talking Pictures. Also Sat 18th May.

Embrace of the Serpent, Wed 15th May, Film4.
The Face of Fu Manchu, late Wed 15th May, Talking Pictures.

Tales That Witness Madness, Fri 17th May, Horror.

colinr0380

#832 Post by colinr0380 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:04 pm

I did watch Baywatch at the weekend and found the camerawork (especially the speed ramped motorcycling through crowds on a pier before diving off into the ocean scene) and CGI so terrible (especially in the big 'boat on fire' scene) that it presumably was meant to be the joke! But it felt like that was undercutting its action too much and sacrificing any sense of connection to the characters (slight as it may be) for winking about how everyone is in on the joke about bouncing breasts in slowmotion (mostly those belonging to the The Rock) and overblown action. I think I much prefer the original series when it was not half as self aware of how silly it was, rather than when its already laughing at its own absurdity for you.

Speaking of which, I also watched Jackass Presents Bad Grandpa, which I think I kind of hated. Mostly because it felt just like a succession of gags about antagonising members of the public (often by hitting on women over and over, which got rather one note very quickly), who themselves often respond with blind anger at the horrible caricature that they are presented with! There were a couple of good scenes though, which notably did not involve trying to get the general public riled up and more just having them act more as witnesses to an event (I did not mind the bed scene either, mostly because Johnny Knoxville was the butt of the joke there as well). And I guess that the final skewering of dolled up children performing in pageants whilst their ambitious mothers look on was a decent climax, though it was an incredibly easy target and one that Brass Eye hit decades before in a much more powerful manner (with its breast enhanced contestant as the proud mom looks on). Really no matter how much the end credits take pains to show that all of the 'ordinary people' briefly fooled into reacting to the performers are immediately told that they are in a film (presumably because they need to just as immediately sign a release form), it does not get away from the way that the film is laughing about how gullible/quick to anger that people can be. Like watching an R-rated version of Candid Camera, only with a road trip-styled attempt to provide a thread of a narrative to link the set pieces together.

___

Relatively quiet next week: there is a new Louis Theroux documentary, Mothers on the Edge, on BBC2 at 9 p.m. on Sunday 12th. Emily Blunt de-glams herself to be the Girl on the Train on Channel 4 also at 9 p.m. on Sunday. And the Sacha Baron Cohen film The Brothers Grimsby is on Channel 5 at 10 p.m. also on Sunday.

BBC2 is showing One Day In Gaza at 9 p.m. on Monday 13th, all about the "deadliest day of violence in a generation", 14th May 2018, as 60 Palestinians were killed and more than 2,000 injured in the wake of Trump moving the US Embassy to Jerusalem.

BBC4 is showing A German Life: Goebbel's Secretary Remembers at 10 p.m. on Monday 13th.

Shane Meadows has a new four part series beginning on Channel 4 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 15th: The Virtues.

And as jlnight notes, the big film of the week is the premiere of Embrace of the Serpent on Film4 at 11.30 p.m. on Wednesday 15th.

jlnight

#833 Post by jlnight » Sat May 11, 2019 9:24 am

Army of Darkness, Sat 18th May, Film4. Also on Thu 23rd May.

All Done by Electricity (short), Mon 20th May, Talking Pictures.
White Mischief, Mon 20th May, Talking Pictures. Also Sat 1st June.
Graduation, late Mon 20th May, Film4.

Free Solo, Thu 23rd May, Channel 4.

colinr0380

#834 Post by colinr0380 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:33 am

Has Army of Darkness been on the mainstream television channels before?

jlnight

#835 Post by jlnight » Sun May 12, 2019 5:43 am

A quick glance suggests that Army of Darkness has never been on the mainstream channels before but has done the rounds on subscription: Movie Channel as early as 1995, Carlton Cinema in 2001, the Sci-Fi channel in 2003 and the premium version of FilmFour in 2004.

colinr0380

#836 Post by colinr0380 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:09 am

So Army of Darkness is simultaneously both the first and last of the series to appear on UK television, depending on the parameters used! The series has had an interesting past on UK television. Aside from those satellite showings Evil Dead II was the first of the series to turn up on the major terrestrial channels, in Channel 4's Censored season in February 1999 (When it was in a double bill with the premiere of Zombie Flesh-Eaters!). I think it had a couple of repeats since then. The original Evil Dead turned up for the first time around 2003 on Channel 4 (I seem to remember around the same time Channel 4 screened Straw Dogs for the first and so far only time on the main channels, though I see that Straw Dogs occasionally turns up on that Talking Pictures channel now), and that is repeated fairly regularly on Film4 now. And the 2013 remake (which apparently features different content from the home video release) turns up quite often on both Channel 4 and Film4, despite to my mind being the most extreme of all! (And the Ash Vs The Evil Dead series never really appeared on UK television at all)

I personally prefer Evil Dead II the most, as that feels as if it hits the perfect balance between softening the tone of the first a little to add more black humour to the proceedings but does not entirely become the much more comic and only vaguely horrific film that Army of Darkness becomes. Hopefully Film4 will programme a full evening of films including Jason and the Argonauts, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and a Three Stooges film to put Army of Darkness: The Medieval Dead into its proper context!

colinr0380

#837 Post by colinr0380 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:50 pm

According to the Radio Times, Film4 is showing the theatrical cut of Army of Darkness on Saturday evening and the director's cut on Thursday! (And I guess they do have a contextual Three Stooges screening with a repeat of the Farrelly Brothers film on Sunday morning)

A lot of interesting things next week. If you can cope with the best members of the cast getting killed off within the first half hour, the 2014 Godzilla film is showing on ITV1 on Saturday 18th at 9.15 p.m., which is vying with Star Trek Beyond on Channel 4 on Sunday 19th at 8 p.m. for the big Hollywood film premiere of the week status.

A lot of other intriguing small films turn up: BBC2 is showing documentary Evelyn at 10.45 p.m. on Saturday 18th (which might be a good contrast to the showing of Free Solo on Channel 4 at 9 p.m. on 23rd May).

Aside from the Army of Darkness screenings, Film4's big day is Monday 20th. Morgan (the feature debut of Luke Scott, Ridley Scott's son) at 9 p.m. Will she be a Suitable Case For Treatment? Also as jlnight has previously mentioned the premiere of Cristian Mungiu's film Graduation is at 12.35 a.m.

Channel 5 has a rare late night TV movie screening, with Barbara Hershey starring in The Stranger Beside Me, a film about true crime writer Ann Rule's meeting with serial killer Ted Bundy. If you cannot wait until 11 p.m. on Thursday 23rd, the film is up on YouTube. Whilst back to the afternoon screenings, Friday 24th at 2.15 p.m. brings another film by David DeCoteau, Target: My Daughter (aka the less interestingly titled Witness Protection on imdb)

BBC2 is also screening the first two episodes of the TV series version of What We Do In The Shadows on Sunday 19th at 9.45 p.m., and the first episode of the latest six part mini-series by Stephen Poliakoff Summer of Rockets is beginning on the same channel at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 22nd (with a cast inlcuding Linus Roach, Peter Firth, Claire Bloom and Timothy Spall)

But the really surprising thing scheduled is a repeat of Paris Is Burning, about New York's drag ball culture on BBC4 at 12.50 a.m. in the early hours of Tuesday 21st. Which is weirdly belated in the schedule given that BBC2 screened and finished showing the recent mini-series Pose weeks back, which this should have tied in with! Better fashionably late than never I suppose!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon May 27, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#838 Post by jlnight » Thu May 16, 2019 8:40 am

Georgy Girl, Sat 25th May, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 30th May.

Steaming, Sun 26th May, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 29th May.

Machine Gun McCain, Mon 27th May, Talking Pictures.

The Stray (short), Wed 29th May, Talking Pictures.

colinr0380

#839 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:27 pm

Just a quick note that E4 has started showing series 8 of Robot Chicken in double bills on Thursday evenings, around midnight. I'm a bit annoyed at this as it seems to have been going on for a couple of weeks now without fanfare and they are already at episode 5 and 6 tonight. The single episodes of Series 9 of Robot Chicken are continuing on Friday nights sandwiched in between Rick & Morty Season 2 and before Dream Corp LLC.

reaky

#840 Post by reaky » Thu May 16, 2019 1:04 pm

Same thing with More4 and Berlin Station - it was episode 3 before I found out they were showing it.

colinr0380

#841 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Yes, they are onto Series 2 of Berlin Station as well aren't they? I missed almost all of the first series before becoming aware of it (much as I did with The Crimson Rivers TV series a few months back, which was particularly annoying!), and so sadly wrote it off.

In other news George Clooney and fellow directors and members of the cast on that new Catch-22 series were on the BBC's One Show this evening and in between the usual One Show asides about cute animals that viewers have sent in pictures of, they did mention that Channel 4 is going to be showing the series from next month. I would probably bet that it will turn up the Wednesday after Shane Meadows' latest TV series The Virtues finishes its four week run (i.e. 12th June).

colinr0380

#842 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:23 pm

The big film of next week is the premiere of Arrival on Channel 4 at 9 p.m. on Sunday 26th. Film4 is showing the Lily Tomlin film Grandma at 11 p.m. on Thursday 30th (after the Robert De Niro film Dirty Grandpa, which surely cannot be a coincidence!) And BBC4 is showing the documentary Last Breath at 9 p.m. on Monday 27th.

Other than that (and lots of the previously noted TV series continuing) it is mostly repeats. Doris Day is getting a tribute on BBC2 on the afternoon of Saturday 25th with the documentary Doris Day: Virgin Territory and Move Over, Darling, whilst Film4 has a triple bill of Midnight Lace, Pillow Talk and The Man Who Knew Too Much from 11 a.m. on Tuesday 28th.

BBC4 is showing the last two episodes of series 3 of Canadian crime series Cardinal on Saturday 25th, but this has seemingly inspired them to show the entirety of series 1 and 2 again over the next few nights (all six episodes of series 1 from 11 p.m. to 3.15 a.m. on Sunday 26th, episodes 1 to 4 of series 2 from 12.30 a.m on the evening of Monday 27th and episode 5 and 6 from 1.30 a.m. overnight on Tuesday 28th) so I might try and catch up on this now.

And for some obscure reason BBC2 has a repeat showing of For A Few Dollars More at 11 p.m. on Friday 31st, which is the first time the film has been on UK TV since 2010.

Since it is a slow film week here's Robert De Niro in the latest Warburtons advert instead!

colinr0380

#843 Post by colinr0380 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:52 am

I think I hated climber documentary Free Solo, though a lot of that probably comes from my aversion to the current documentary trend of being in awe of climbers and their 'philosophies of life' in general (see my post on Mountain for more ranting). I think if people love climbing documentaries they would probably respond a lot more positively, since there are a lot of spectacularly vertiginous shots here (though honestly I just kept thinking of the opening of Star Trek V throughout the final sequence more than being particularly tense about what I was seeing!). But throughout I just felt a sense of pointlessness of actually climbing up a sheer rock face, especially in the wider shots of El Capitan which show easier looking routes to get to the top! Or why not hitch a ride with the camera crew in their helicopter if you just want to get to the summit, since that is quicker, less taxing and dangerous? :P

I know it is spectacularly missing the point about the challenge being more than the actual action of getting to the top itself but throughout the film everything is about just how impossible and dangerous such an action of free climbing is, to the extent of showing the toll on girlfriend and colleagues as they either send Alex off on his single minded quest and worry that this might have been the last time they would talk or watch him nervously from the ground as he climbs (though of course there is absolutely no tension to the film as a viewer, as we would not have the documentary if there had been an accident. The worst that could possibly have happened would have been Alex failing to reach the summit, that would lend the film a Cool Runnings 'better luck next time' vibe). Alex's single minded pursuit set against the strains put on those who love him makes him feel rather unsympathetic, especially in that moment of reading about the death of another climber which causes little introspection. Sure, Alex has always been open about his passion for climbing and everyone around him have known what they were getting into by knowing him, but at a certain point the drive to climb becomes less about pushing yourself as an individual against the elements (where compulsion to climb overrides safety concerns, and it is only you who is affected by any 'mistake' you make) and more about who you are in society as well and responsibilities to try not to traumatise other people by your behaviour as far as possible. Or at least recognise what you are doing to them by letting them enable you and then potentially feel guilt for having done so if you have an accident.

I mean I have issues with people travelling into warzones for journalistic stories too (especially if they are leaving families behind), but at least they are providing a more or less essential function that it could be argued is necessary to push onward into extreme environments to achieve! (With similar issues of 'mission creep' of going to ever more dangerous places because you are known for that, and it is what is now expected of you. And the dangerous sense that with experience you 'know what you are doing' more, when survival may be as much down to pure luck as growing competency!) I even think that climbing in fictional films are better than documentaries about the same, because at least Tom Cruise in Mission: Impossible is doing so for some sort of goal of having to save the world!

I guess climbing is just not something that I will ever identify with as being worthwhile for its own sake. (though I actually found that 'climbing towers' free climbing video far more impactful, especially as it was being done for work purposes. The climb down actually seems that it would be even worse though!). I guess that I just wish people would put their energies to better use, or at least channel them somewhere less self destructive and think of their loved ones.

But for Alex the need to climb is a compulsive one, as suggested by the end of the film where he is back in training for another challenge, having overcome El Capitan earlier that morning. That seems to suggest that there is no stopping until he reaches the same fate as befell those given in memoriam credits at the end of the film. No end until the final one, when everyone can take a small comfort in saying that he died doing what he loved. Will this change if the couple have children? Perhaps that is the final test and perhaps the darker alternate meaning behind the film's title.

Filmically I had the usual modern documentary issues of over emphatic soundtrack underscoring the 'tension' of climbing and aggressively intimate camera shots abounding that felt rather as if they were trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

But when I was more on the edge of my seat about which particular fridge the couple were going to buy for their kitchen in their new home and whether it would fit (with Alex poo-pooing larger fridges until loving the cheapest, most compact one as totally adequate for their needs. Perhaps it is telling that after that we never see him in the house but instead in the van, with its own en suite kitchen-bedroom, on location at El Capitan) than whether Alex would reach the next handhold or ledge on a piece of sheer rock, I think I may have been focused on different things than the filmmakers were intending!

(I should say I like Touching the Void, but that is more because it is about surviving and getting back to basecamp after having been reckless than celebrating recklessness itself!)

jlnight

#844 Post by jlnight » Sat May 25, 2019 4:47 am

Hard Times (The Streetfighter), Fri 31st May, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 5th June. (This has appeared on the Sony Movie Channel in the past but was a daytime screening!)

Remember My Name, Sun 1st June, Talking Pictures. Also late Sun 9th June. (This has appeared on Movies4Men in the past). Also Clockwise is on earlier in the day but that is not a rare title.

No Sex Please - We're British, Sun 2nd June, Talking Pictures. Also late Mon 3rd June.

The ITV anthology series Shadows starts on Talking Pictures from Mon 3rd June.

colinr0380

#845 Post by colinr0380 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:54 pm

Lots of premieres next week, with Channel 5 showing a new TV movie every week day with evocative titles shrieking warnings such as Overexposed: Burying A Scandal, A Daughter's Deception, The Obsession (this has an intriguing write up in the Radio Times: "A woman reports her son missing, only to find herself caught up in the hunt for a notorious serial killer"), Shattered Memories and particularly the fantastically titled Murder-in-Law!

The big film of the week is Joachim Trier's film Thelma on Film4 at 11 p.m. on Saturday 1st, which appears to be a centrepiece of a 'psychic powers night' of films with X-Men before and Brian De Palma's The Fury following it!

BBC4 is showing the documentary The Raft at 9 p.m. on Sunday 2nd. Which kind of looks like a sexy true story Dogville from the trailer?

And Film4 is showing Plastic at 11 p.m. on Thursday 6th, with lots of actors from acclaimed TV series that I have not seen starring in it.

A couple of big documentary series are starting. Professor Brian Cox is going to be breathlessly describing CGI with expressions of awe and wonder in The Planets (Thelma's trailer uses the same piece of music better!) starting on BBC2 tonight at 9 p.m., though he is also fronting a BBC Symphony Orchestra performance of Holst's The Planet Suite at 9 p.m. on Saturday 1st.

And Michael Apted's Up series is back with the latest installment, 63 Up, on ITV1 at 9 p.m. over three nights from Tuesday 4th to Thursday 6th.

Not to be outdone Channel 4 are showing My Gay Dog And Other Animals on Thursday 6th. :roll: (The existence of which seems entirely just for the Gogglebox crew to react to on their show!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue May 28, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GaryC

#846 Post by GaryC » Tue May 28, 2019 2:06 pm

As jlknight says above, Alan Rudolph's Remember My Name is on Talking Pictures TV at 9pm on Saturday 1 June. I don't know offhand if they've shown it before, but it's worth mentioning as this film has never had a VHS or disc release due to music rights issues. I saw it in 35mm nine years ago at the BFI Southbank and wrote a bit about it here. I'd previously seen it on Channel 4 in 1984.

Lots of war films next week, especially on BBC2 on Saturday and weekday afternoons, for the 75th anniversary of D-Day. Nothing very unfamiliar, but several of them I haven't seen in years if at all, and it'll save me paying to stream them. (I'm making a point of catching up with a lot of war films this year, with significant anniversaries and that).

colinr0380

#847 Post by colinr0380 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:16 pm

Yes, a lot of them are fronted by those Talking Pictures episodes which collect various chat show appearances with the stars from the BBC archives: In Which We Serve is preceded by an episode on Noël Coward on Monday, the 1958 Ealing version of Dunkirk by an episode with Richard Attenborough on Thursday, and Reach For The Sky by an episode collecting interviews with Kenneth More on Friday.

Also it might be worth noting that just in the last week or two that More4 has started screening classic films in the very early hours of the weekend now. This weekend for instance they have Carol Reed's Our Man In Havana at 1.10 a.m. on Sunday 2nd and Randolph Scott western Man in the Saddle at 1.50 a.m. on Monday 3rd. All the films so far get shown on Film4 pretty regularly in the morning and afternoon weekday schedules (and More4 has DOG-tags compared to Film4 showing films 'cleanly') but this potentially might be able to show older films without them needing to be edited for content due to daytime slots. But that may be wishful thinking!

jlnight

#848 Post by jlnight » Fri May 31, 2019 8:52 am

A Touch of Love, Sun 9th June, Talking Pictures. (A Thames series called The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes starts right before this. The Go-Between is on the previous night but is probably the Losey film with the most exposure.)

A Man Called Sledge, Mon 10th June, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 27th June.
She's Funny That Way, Mon 10th June, Film4.

Take a Girl Like You (1970), Tue 11th June, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 20th June.

Journeyman, Thu 13th June, Film4. (Tyrannosaur and Neds are on the same channel the previous night).

colinr0380

#849 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:13 am

Rather annoyingly most of the premieres clash with each other next week on the night of Saturday 8th:

BBC1 in a rare premiere (I think the first on the channel since Christmas) has John Travolta and Sharon Stone in Life On The Line at 11.50 p.m., which kind of looks like a Tony Scott film (the gruff set in his ways older man vs impulsive young buck both with blue collar problems at home dynamic seems similar to that in Unstoppable) just without the hyperactive editing style of his last films (I am presuming that Wichita Lineman inevitably has to be used for the soundtrack somewhere?)

Channel 5 seems to be emboldened again to start showing TV movies later in the evening (though it might have as much to do with the Big Brother series having ended so needing to fill the evening schedules) and is showing true crime Lifetime movie The Menendez Killings: Blood Brothers (with Courtney Love!) at 10.50 p.m. (they also have The Killing of JonBenet Ramsey at 11 p.m. on Tuesday 11th)

But the film on that night that I will probably be going for, and arguably the biggest film of next week, is The Light Between Oceans, directed by Derek Cianfrance (Blue Valentine, The Place Beyond The Pines), with Michael Fassbender, Alicia Vikander and Rachel Weisz, at 10 p.m. on BBC2. That is also followed by a repeat of the French film The Intouchables at Midnight.

Film4 has Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston screwball comedy She's Funny That Way at 11.45 p.m. on Monday 10th. Directed by Peter Bogdanovich!! Here's the forum thread on this long in production film.

As jlnight says above, Film4 are also showing boxing brain damage drama Journeyman starring and directed by Paddy Considine at 9 p.m. on Thursday 13th along with previous film he directed Tyrannosaur the night before, starring Peter Mullan and Olivia Coleman, which presumably is why a film directed by Peter Mullan, Neds, follows it (I wonder if Film4 is ever going to repeat Mullan's debut feature film Orphans)

And serendipitously since we have just been talking about it on the forum, Journeyman is immediately followed by a repeat of another drama featuring boxing, Brian De Palma's Snake Eyes!

jlnight

#850 Post by jlnight » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:27 am

The Odessa File, late Sat 8th June (tonight), More4.

Blood from the Mummy's Tomb, Fri 14th June, Talking Pictures. Also Sat 22nd June.

The Cotton Club, Sat 15th June, Talking Pictures. Also Fri 21st June.

The Brand New Testament, late Mon 17th June, Film4.