Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Graphist

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2951 Post by Graphist » Sun May 05, 2019 9:24 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Being that Criterion are no longer creating phantom pages I think that these left over director pages are just random speculation at this point.I just posted that list from over 6 years ago as a reference (geez, where has time gone).
If I remember correctly, Atom Egoyan had a phantom page too.

senseabove

#2952 Post by senseabove » Sun May 05, 2019 11:48 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:18 pm
If Criterion has this I can't imgine they would put it in WCP boxset. Buñuel is too big to not give this an independent release. Maybe someone can ask the KLInsider either here or on his Blu-ray.com thread.
It's not KL Studio Classics, and they follow the beautifully circuitous logic of "we handle all Kino Lorber-related questions except for all those we don't handle, including anything non-Studio Classics." I asked about the Buñuel several times a while back, and was ignored and finally snipped at for asking about a non-KLSC title.

DRW.mov

#2953 Post by DRW.mov » Mon May 06, 2019 12:00 am

I know it had been rumored for some time that Kino would release it (and the one print I saw opened with the 90s Kino logo), but if its been restored by the WCP it means that they have secured the rights. And since WCP seems to only have a release history with Criterion up until this point I’d say its pretty safe to say that this will be handled by CC soon enough. And they absolutely know the prestige to give it a standalone release akin to Color of Pomegrantes.

Though the other two new Buñuel restorations playing at Cannes, Narazin and L’age d’dor, are anyones game so far.

Blutarsky

#2954 Post by Blutarsky » Mon May 06, 2019 12:27 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:50 pm
I find it hard to imagine it would be released without the alternate ending. Even the 35mm print I saw a couple of years back had it tacked onto the end after some explanatory text.
I could imagine a situation where it is a special feature. The original ending makes it my favourite Buñuel along with Viridiana

Blutarsky

#2955 Post by Blutarsky » Mon May 06, 2019 12:35 am

DRW.mov wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:00 am
Though the other two new Buñuel restorations playing at Cannes, Narazin and L’age d’dor, are anyones game so far.
Shocking that Criterion hasn’t released L’age d’or considering that and Un Chien Andalou are mainstream in the Buñuel category thanks partly due to the artistic love surrounding Dalí. The BFI blu Ray Through is phenomenal I must say.

As for Nazarin, I’d assume they are in rights with the already released Buñuel 60s Spanish films. I could see Criterion upgrading Viridiana while releasing Nazarin as the former desperately needs an upgrade (Top 3 film for me).

Arthur House

#2956 Post by Arthur House » Mon May 06, 2019 1:10 am

DRW.mov wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:00 am
Studio Canal may still have Nazarin. Over ten years ago they let Lions Gate poot it out in R1 as a twofer w/Illusion Travels By Street Car in a budget line of subs-less Latin films.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#2957 Post by Omensetter » Mon May 06, 2019 5:36 pm

If one wants even more confirmation, The Criterion Collection is listed (alongside WB and Cineteca) with The Cameraman in the new Film Comment's "New and Forthcoming Restorations" sidebar on page eleven.

yoloswegmaster

#2958 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue May 07, 2019 12:56 pm

Soneone from the blu-ray.com forums interviewed John Sayles and he said that Matewan and The Secret of Roan Inish were going to be released by Criterion.

dda1996a

#2959 Post by dda1996a » Tue May 07, 2019 2:34 pm

Seems right that the first Sayles I didn't care for is being released. But I guess Matewan will look beautiful in high-def. Haven't seen Roan though

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#2960 Post by Buttery Jeb » Tue May 07, 2019 3:06 pm

Still surprised we haven't gotten Return of the Secaucus Seven, Lianna or Brother From Another Planet from Criterion before now. As far as I'm aware, all of them are still being handled by IFC Films.

motefuzz

#2961 Post by motefuzz » Tue May 07, 2019 4:58 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:56 pm
Soneone from the blu-ray.com forums interviewed John Sayles and he said that Matewan and The Secret of Roan Inish were going to be released by Criterion.
Matewan and Los Olvidados have been bucket list criterions for me for like 15 years, and I don’t think there’s been a nice version of either released. So this is an incredible year for me personally.

Noiradelic

#2962 Post by Noiradelic » Tue May 07, 2019 7:36 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:18 pm
If Criterion has this I can't imgine they would put it in WCP boxset. Buñuel is too big to not give this an independent release.
Yeah, if they gave Black Girl and Color of Pomegranates standalone releases, there's no way they're not going to give the most in-demand, never-available-in-the-U.S. Bunuel film one.

Boosmahn

#2964 Post by Boosmahn » Fri May 10, 2019 9:01 pm

Great news! Can't wait to enjoy(?) this inclusion.

CSM126

#2965 Post by CSM126 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Polyester without the Odorama card would be pointless, so great news. I suppose I can do a comparison with the by-now ancient one I have with the Criterion laserdisc release (yes, it still reeks).

FrauBlucher

#2966 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri May 10, 2019 9:27 pm

A perfect October release

Malickite

#2967 Post by Malickite » Fri May 10, 2019 9:40 pm

Malickite wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:28 am
Wonder if Criterion will include reproductions of the scratch-n-sniff cards.
They must have seen my post. Nice. Oh wait, I hate John Waters. Why am I excited?

yoloswegmaster

#2968 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat May 11, 2019 8:15 am

I just asked Katharina Kubrick if there will be more Cruterion releases of her father's films and she said "I’m sure there will be eventually."

FrauBlucher

#2969 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat May 11, 2019 9:36 am

It's a shame they won't be with Criterion. :wink:

schlafen

#2970 Post by schlafen » Sat May 11, 2019 2:28 pm

I was just looking at the Sam Smith Studio Visit on Criterion's site and noticed a whiteboard behind him with references, under "Projects", to ASAKO I & II, MARIENBAD, A GIRL NAMED ? (I can't make the last word out) and ONE SINGS, which has already been announced. Under "What's going on with": TEN and SINGIN" IN THE RAIN.

All of these may or may not be coming from Criterion, (i'm sure SOME of them are) but I figured I'd post this anyway to hear what others think. There are some other things on the whiteboard that I can't make out but others might be able to decipher.

Sam Smith

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#2971 Post by soundchaser » Sat May 11, 2019 2:34 pm

"A Girl Named Eddy" is what's written there, which I think refers to this American musician who goes by "A Girl Called Eddy"

DRW.mov

#2972 Post by DRW.mov » Sat May 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Sam did the new Marienbad artwork for the upcoming Kino release and Asako I&II for Grasshopper, so that explains those. Ten and Singin’ in the Rain are the surprising ones here, but keep in mind he also does prints inconjunction with the Belcourt theater in Nashville and hosts a podcast about poster design which does one off episodes that dive into a single film’s key art so they could also be either of those.

senseabove

#2973 Post by senseabove » Sat May 11, 2019 2:38 pm

schlafen wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:28 pm
I was just looking at the Sam Smith Studio Visit on Criterion's site and noticed a whiteboard behind him with references, under "Projects", to ASAKO I & II, MARIENBAD, A GIRL NAMED ? (I can't make the last word out) and ONE SINGS, which has already been announced. Under "What's going on with": TEN and SINGIN" IN THE RAIN.

All of these may or may not be coming from Criterion, (i'm sure SOME of them are) but I figured I'd post this anyway to hear what others think. There are some other things on the whiteboard that I can't make out but others might be able to decipher.

Sam Smith
My best guess for that is that it should be "A Girl Called Eddy", the stage name of singer Erin Moran, who has her first new album in fifteen years (supposedly) coming out soon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Girl_Called_Eddy

And we know Asako is coming from Grasshopper: http://grasshopperfilm.com/film/asako/

criterionsnob

#2974 Post by criterionsnob » Sat May 11, 2019 2:40 pm

In the Sam Smith video, he also flips through a drawer with a poster he did for Citizen Kane.

schlafen

#2975 Post by schlafen » Sat May 11, 2019 2:42 pm

I missed the ASAKO I & II announcement from Grasshopper and I've never heard of a Girl Called Eddy. I'll have to check out his podcast. Thanks for the clarification everyone.