Cohen Film Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Big Ben

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#526 Post by Big Ben » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:45 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:39 pm
Big Ben wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:55 pm
Johnny Knoxville..knows his stuff and well, I can't knock him for that.
I didn't have a problem with Knoxville's appearance in The Great Buster (his assessment of Keaton's famous collapsing facade gag from Steamboat Bill, Jr. combined with Jackass footage showing a more modern attempt at the same stunt fit well into the documentary); I only mentioned it because the inclusion of Knoxville, Bill Hader, and, especially, the director of Spiderman: Homecoming, struck me as an attempt to include something relatable to viewers under the age of 50.
Oh I never meant to insist that you did have an issue and I'm sorry if I gave off that impression! Knoxville just isn't known for being exactly highbrow in any regard and looking back on it now there's more than one Jackass sketch I could have gone without seeing. I can certainly see the influence on Knoxville but I'm quite sure never reached the grotesqueness of say what Jackass.

MichaelB

#527 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:39 pm

ethel wrote:Unfortunately, this was subtitled (and proofed) by people who know nothing about cinema, so we have Pinoteau referring to the great directors “Clouseau and Max Rufus” [Clouzot and Ophuls of course], and to watching “the rocks” [i.e. not “les roches”, but “les rushes” = “the rushes”]. The crowning insult is the complete misspelling of the name of the star of Les Parents Terribles, Yvonne de Bray.
When Arrow licensed the Cohen interview with Paolo and Vittorio Taviani, I found that I had to make quite a few changes to the subtitles - the core translation was fine but the description “subtitled (and proofed) by people who know nothing about cinema” rang a loud bell! In particular, the original subtitles would get names wrong (exacerbated by the Tavianis’ tendency to refer to people only by their surnames even when they were far from household names), although my favourite flub was an initially head-scratching reference to “Rossellini’s film about the doctors”, which I worked out must have been a mistranslation of “i Medici”, which does indeed mean “the doctors” but it’s also the name of the family at the heart of this film.

FrauBlucher

#528 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:58 am

domino harvey wrote:I always opened my History of Film survey course with a screening of Sherlock Jr and it never failed to kill. My students were always so surprised that they could enjoy a silent film, and the self-reflexivity of the movie opened up a lot of ideas and themes we used to build on going forward. So young people can be receptive to Keaton for sure
I always love hearing these anecdotes about young people discovering something that may seem ancient to them and feel rewarded afterwards. After all they will be the ones to carry on and pass along the great rich history of film. Kudos to you as well.

whaleallright

#529 Post by whaleallright » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:50 pm

What's missing from this thread is an acknowledgment that everybody likes Buster Keaton. Everyone who encounters his films, that is. So the key thing is just getting folks to see them, and if it means having infamous reality-TV star and erstwhile Ariana Grande paramour Peter Bogdanovich hosting a documentary tribute on Twitch, that's fine with me.

agnamaracs

#530 Post by agnamaracs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:45 am

Question: does the Keaton deal include all his pre-MGM stuff? I checked the list on the website, and I didn't see The Saphead, My Wife's Relations, The Navigator, Go West, Battling Butler, or College. Though this could just be an oversight.

Also: I wonder how their copy of Hard Luck ends.

(Edited to consider the post below mine.)
Last edited by agnamaracs on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#531 Post by tenia » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:10 am

The Cohen restoration program specifically states it's 1920-1928 (if that's any help).

filmyfan

#532 Post by filmyfan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:26 am

Any one any idea of when the Busters may start getting released ?

Slaphappy

#534 Post by Slaphappy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:14 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:58 am
I always love hearing these anecdotes about young people discovering something that may seem ancient to them and feel rewarded afterwards. After all they will be the ones to carry on and pass along the great rich history of film. Kudos to you as well.
I'm participating in a movie club on a mixed martial arts fan forum. My first pick was The General. There was a lot of crumbling on why should we watch something ancient without sound. Some members had not seen a single silent movie before, but everyone except two hard core Chaplin fans ended up loving it. :o

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#535 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:02 pm

Any hint as to why the Chaplin films disliked the Keaton films?

FrauBlucher

#536 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:23 pm

That does seem odd.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

Cohen Film Collection

#537 Post by Brian C » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:24 pm

Chaplin bros, probably

Slaphappy

#538 Post by Slaphappy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:39 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:02 pm
Any hint as to why the Chaplin films disliked the Keaton films?
Another pun I'm not getting / typo I'm not spotting?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#539 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:43 am

Should have been "Chaplin film lovers" -- sorry. :-(

Slaphappy

#540 Post by Slaphappy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:13 am

:D Nice to see that I'm not the only one making typos here.

I think main argument was that Keaton does not have the depth of Chaplin.

FrauBlucher

#541 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:14 pm

bluray.com....The Great Buster: A Celebration

I wish I understand the rights issues for the Keatons. Why's Kino still have the Keatons out on bluray/dvd but Cohen has the 4k restorations? What's stopping Cohen from releasing the 4k restorations? Cohen purchased the Rohauer Collection in early 2013. Surely that's enough time for them to release the Keatons.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#542 Post by tenia » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:21 pm

It's even worse here in France, with Lobster having performed concurrent 2K restorations for some of the same feature-length movies (at least The General and Steamboat Bill Jr).

FlickeringWindow

#543 Post by FlickeringWindow » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:16 am

Three Ages, College, The General, and Steamboat Bill Jr. have been in the public domain for a while, which is why Kino was able to release the Lobster Films remasters. Our Hospitality recently went into the public domain, as well (as did all 1923 American films still under copyright).

Cohen's website only lists 4Ks for Our Hospitality, Sherlock Jr, Seven Chances, The General, and Steamboat Bill Jr plus Three Ages as "HD" - all the shorts are up without a format indicator except for One Week and Cops as "HD"

They also list 2Ks for Broken Blossoms and the Paramount W.C. Fields and jazz shorts (some of the latter appeared as extras on their release of William Dieterle's Syncopation)

FrauBlucher

#544 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:32 pm

If all this is true then there is no reason for Cohen not to release their 4k restorations, which is very disappointing they haven't.
Cohen has definitely slowed their bluray/dvd ouput since their beginning but you would think the 4k restos of Keaton would be a good seller for them.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#545 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:57 pm

I get the feeling that Cohen are working with very little money and resources as-is... Cohen has also been letting titles go OOP once their initial press run is sold out, even though they still have the rights and they’re on their streaming services— their physical releases are all sort of unofficial limited editions, it seems.

FrauBlucher

#546 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:17 pm

They choose to release a Keaton doc instead of the actual Keaton films :?

Maybe they should license out their physical media here is the States.

dustybooks

#548 Post by dustybooks » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:57 am

Sorry if this is a redundant question, but are we still expecting the MoC box to reappear at some point?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#549 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:59 am

Not really

Roscoe

#550 Post by Roscoe » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:09 pm

I have the MOC box, and the restorations are to DIE for. I don't know if I can bring myself to buy these again, but not having to warm up the region-free player, and the frankly short lifespans of Cohen silent movie Blu-Rays, makes me think I'll be picking this up.