BD 201 Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Ribs

BD 201 Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte

#1 Post by Ribs » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:57 pm

Listed on Amazon, being announced formally tomorrow.

Finch

Re: BD 201 Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte

#2 Post by Finch » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:19 pm

DUAL FORMAT SPECIAL FEATURES:
1080p presentation on Blu-ray, with a progressive encode on the DVD | LPCM 2.0 Audio (on Blu-ray) | Optional English SDH subtitles | New and exclusive feature length audio commentary by critic Kat Ellinger | Audio commentary by film historian Glenn Erickson | Hush…Hush, Sweet Joan: The Making of Charlotte [22 mins] | Bruce Dern Remembers [13 mins] | Wizard Work [5 mins] – an archival behind-the-scenes look at the film, narrated by Joseph Cotton | Trailer & TV spots | PLUS: A collector’s booklet featuring a new essay by Lee Gambin, illustrated with archival imagery

HUSH…HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition available to PRE-ORDER now from Amazon http://po.st/iu1foC Zavvi http://po.st/vIhZja

The Ellinger commentary should be excellent!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:29 am

Finally got around to watching my copy of this from the Fox Bette Davis set to see if I wanted to upgrade. Certainly it works better for me than the shrill and endless Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? but this pretty much is just a two and a half hour Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode, with all the pluses and minuses that brings. I enjoyed the startlingly graphic violence in the prologue and thought Olivia DeHavilland was having the time of her life playing against type-- this would not be nearly as much fun with the original casting of Joan Crawford, who did these kind of parts in her sleep. Agnes Moorehead is also completely over the top in her Oscar-nominated (!) perf, though I can't decide if what she's doing works or not-- reminds me of Dennis Weaver in Touch of Evil a bit. Speaking of, I'm flabbergasted a movie this trashy netted SEVEN Oscar noms-- I know Aldrich had a lot of admirers for his independence in film production, but despite the cast this one is so far out of the Academy's wheelhouse at this (or any) time that it's quite a feat!

Randall Maysin

#4 Post by Randall Maysin » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:26 pm

I agree wholeheartedly about Baby Jane, its reputation is very irritating to me. Its just so empty and terrible, basically it's formula is: take a central gimmick that has great potential--the sadistic involvement of the characters played by two legendarily feuding diva stars--and do absolutely nothing creative with it, and instead stick a little unimaginative meanness and shouting into every situation, of the kind any 5-year-old at summer camp could come up with. And ta-da! Delicious "subversive" fun! I think Bette Davis's faltering, pathetic little dance at the end is the perfect metaphor for the entire film's creative endeavor.