domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Netflix Originals

#101 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Netflix has picked up Designated Survivor from ABC for a third season

Big Ben

Re: TV of 2018

#103 Post by Big Ben » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:48 pm

I winced at this. I mean come on. What are they looking for a really bland knock off version of Sesame Street? The Muppets? Their CEO is gay for God's sake you'd think they'd be a little more adventurous.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#104 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Not that I think Apple's making the right choice here (the bit about the crucifixes is nuts), but Tim Cook can't be gay and prudish?

flyonthewall2983

#105 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:24 pm

Worst decision of theirs since discontinuing the iPod Classic

Big Ben

#106 Post by Big Ben » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:30 am

Cook's existence as an openly gay CEO is a political statement alebit not a huge one. People like Cook still don't the same rights as straight folks in over half of US states so the very idea that he would be prudish makes me laugh. Even shows like the Muppets, Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers were incredibly political at times. Hell even internet favorite Bob Ross thanked God at the end of nearly every episode. This strikes me as Apple not wanting to step on any toes and in doing so removing it's own feet.

Just ridiculous.

Dr Amicus

#107 Post by Dr Amicus » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:31 pm

The Bodyguard, which finished last night, has turned out to be one of the most popular drama serials in the UK for years - and has frequently made it to the front pages of the newspapers. Written by Jed Mercurio, who also wrote the excellent Line of Duty, it's a thriller about a former soldier (who HAS ISSUES) who is now a policeman and is assigned to be the bodyguard of the controversial home secretary. To say more would spoil the turns the narrative takes - some of which are rather more believable than others - which didn't stop the Radio Times having a massive spoiler (admittedly, only if you were on catch-up) as its front cover a couple of weeks back. Anyway, I gather it's been acquired by Netflix internationally and is highly recommended (even if at times you really have to suspend disbelief and accept generic conventions / clichés). The opening sequence of the first episode in particular is excellent and really tense...

thirtyframesasecond

#108 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:36 pm

Dr Amicus wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:31 pm
The Bodyguard, which finished last night, has turned out to be one of the most popular drama serials in the UK for years - and has frequently made it to the front pages of the newspapers. Written by Jed Mercurio, who also wrote the excellent Line of Duty, it's a thriller about a former soldier (who HAS ISSUES) who is now a policeman and is assigned to be the bodyguard of the controversial home secretary. To say more would spoil the turns the narrative takes - some of which are rather more believable than others - which didn't stop the Radio Times having a massive spoiler (admittedly, only if you were on catch-up) as its front cover a couple of weeks back. Anyway, I gather it's been acquired by Netflix internationally and is highly recommended (even if at times you really have to suspend disbelief and accept generic conventions / clichés). The opening sequence of the first episode in particular is excellent and really tense...
Yeah avoiding spoilers was tough. I recorded the first five episodes and watched them in the few days before the final episode.

Line of Duty is on UK Netflix I think, so it might be the same for Netflix internationally if anyone wants a guide to how Bodyguard will play out.

Richard Madden is the title character (he was in Game of Thrones apparently - I remember him from the stupid movie in Paris with Idris Elba!) protecting Keeley Hawes, doing her best Amber Rudd/Theresa May combo.

The twists keep-a-comin', you never know who to trust, the plot has holes a mile wide, but you're chewing the hell out of your nails regardless.

Please keep it as a standalone series. Line of Duty at least reinvents itself each season. I don't see how this could.

Murdoch

#111 Post by Murdoch » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:18 pm

I'm ten minutes into Matthew Weiner's The Romanoffs and dear lord what is this narration describing every action of the characters and reading the subtitles? I don't think I'll make it through this...

MichaelB

#112 Post by MichaelB » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:36 am

Murdoch wrote:I'm ten minutes into Matthew Weiner's The Romanoffs and dear lord what is this narration describing every action of the characters and reading the subtitles? I don't think I'll make it through this...
Sounds like you’ve switched on the audio description channel by mistake.

Murdoch

#113 Post by Murdoch » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:13 pm

Oh wow that's it, my tech incompetence is on full display. Thanks!

jazzo

#114 Post by jazzo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Aside from new work by Jeremy Saulnier and Cary Joji Fukunaga, in the last month they've also released new films from Gareth Evans (of supremely enjoyable The Raid films), Nicole Holocfener and, most impressivley, Tamara Jenkins (The Savages being one of my favourite films in its year of release).

This, the new series from Mike Flanagan, and Alfonso Cuarón's Roma makes this a very exciting year, at least for me.

willoneill

#115 Post by willoneill » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:44 pm

Also Paul Greengrass, whose 22 July came out last week and I watched last night. I was expecting a United 93-style reenactment of that day, but it was much more of a courtroom drama mixed with the personal story of one of the survivors. Overall I thought it was quite good. Of all of Greengrass' films, it reminded me most of Resurrected.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#116 Post by barryconvex » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:17 am

I must be blind because i can't seem to find the thread for it so i'm commenting here about the new season of Making A Murderer. I've never seen the equal of Kathleen Zellner single mindedness in print or film (fiction or non) as she absolutely scorches the earth in her quest (quest in a medieval sense) to free Avery from jail. The only person that comes to mind is The Terminator (1984) and that character was not human. Of course this only makes the Wisconsin penal community dig its heels in even further as this outsider is not so much making waves as tsunamis. The most riveting season of television this year by a mile.

flyonthewall2983

#117 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 pm

I'm hearing that Sandler's latest stand-up special is very good

hearthesilence

#118 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:52 pm

What's his standup like if you only know (and hate) his comedies and (sometimes like) his work on SNL?

flyonthewall2983

#119 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:19 pm

A lot like the musical bits he'd do on SNL. Weirdly enough I've never heard his straight stand-up, but I remember stuff like the Hanukkah song played on alt-rock stations every Christmas.

flyonthewall2983

#120 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:28 am

Big Ben

#121 Post by Big Ben » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:32 am

Dish Network once demanded that I prove my grandfather was dead before they cancelled the service to his house and wanted me to continue paying in the meantime. Only the threat of legal action forced them to back off. They are, without a doubt one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with.
Last edited by Big Ben on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyonthewall2983

#122 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:50 am

That's terrible.

Swift

#123 Post by Swift » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:45 pm

After giving my Roald Dahl books to my son last night to read, I found it funny to see today that Netflix have announced plans to adapt a number of his stories.
On Tuesday, Netflix confirmed it had secured the rights for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; the sequel Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator’ The BFG – most recently adapted by Steven Spielberg in 2017 – The Twits; Matilda; George’s Marvellous Medicine; Boy: Tales of Childhood; Going Solo; The Enormous Crocodile; The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me; Henry Sugar; Billy and the Minpins; The Magic Finger; Esio Trot; Dirty Beasts; and Rhyme Stew.

Not included in the deal are novels such as James and the Giant Peach; Danny the Champion of the World; or Fantastic Mr Fox, which was most recently adapted in an animated film by Wes Anderson in 2009.

Netflix confirmed that production will begin on the first of the Dahl animated series in 2019, but no schedule has been announced.
I'm hesitantly looking forward to it (the Dahl family are on board) but I can't say I'm too thrilled to read of a planned "story universe" extending outside of the books. Sounds a bit too Marvel-ly to me.

Boosmahn

Re: Netflix

#124 Post by Boosmahn » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:55 pm

Netflix has ordered a 10-episode live-action remake of the classic anime Cowboy Bebop

EDIT: Whoops, there's a separate thread for Netflix originals? My bad.

flyonthewall2983

#125 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:04 am

Bumping Mics sounds really good.