All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1201 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:34 am

It's not possible to set a BD player to play all discs. You can only set it to A, B, or C as needed. There's no option like 0 for DVD.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1202 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:12 am

Well, not with that attitude.

DeprongMori

#1203 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:19 pm

I have an LG player from Bombay Electronics and confirm what theflirtydozen says above. Not sure about color of buttons, but I use “1” while shut down for preset before booting in “Region A”, “2” for “Region B”. It does require a reboot with each region change.

FrauBlucher

#1204 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:24 pm

I also have the LG and it is 2 and blue while player is off to switch to region B.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#1205 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:31 pm

To answer the question that nobody is asking, the reason Blu-rays need to be manual switched is because of a change in the way regions were checked compared to DVDs.

In the DVD era, discs were coded to a region, and the player would ask the disc what region it was. If it was on the list of approved regions, it would play properly. Therefore it was possible to build a player that listed all possible regions as being valid.

With blu-rays, the region is stored on the player, and its the disc that asks the player what region it is. If the player sends the correct response, the disc will play, but if it sends the wrong response, the disc stops on an error screen. In this situation, it's impossible for the player to know what the "right" region is, so the user needs to manually input it somehow.

Minkin

#1206 Post by Minkin » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:47 am

Thanks everybody for assuring me that its not my fault, but I still can't get it to play a Region B disc.....

For reference, my remote has the following colors at the bottom (in this order):
Red, Green, Yellow, Blue

Here's the order of operations the player goes through:

Disc is already in the player (I've also tried this without a disc)
Power button pressed
Screen on front of player quickly displays the text "Hello"
TV screen has LG logo + has a pink loading bar go across the screen (sometimes this happens twice)
Brings me to the player's Home Menu screen
Player recognizes the disc
Play the disc
Region B error warning
--------------------------------
I am unable to start (turn on) the player with any but the following three buttons: power, open/close (disc tray), play button (also can't turn the player on with any of those three buttons if I'm holding another button as well). None of the colored buttons do anything to turn the player on. By the sounds of it, I should just press one of the colored buttons when the player is off, and that will turn it on with the correct region - but that is not happening here. Is there something I'm missing? Should the Area Code be changed? This is driving me batty, and I'm just annoyed that my family threw away the instruction manual without ever thinking it might be important.
-----------------
I then found these instructions elsewhere online:

1. Turn Player ON and open the tray
2. Once the tray is completely open and not moving, press a button on the remote to select regions.
Zone A: YELLOW
Zone B: BLUE
Zone C: RED

You can now put the disc in the tray and then close the tray.

^^Didn't work.
------------------
Also saw mention of "putting player into standby + disable "quick launch /power off" - none of those are options on the player. Also saw a "press 2 and then power on" - but if the player is off, how will it receive inputs? Didn't work anyway. Is there ever supposed to be any visual cue at some point? I'm just now wondering if my relatives updated the firmware or goofed something up - and whether I'll need to send in the player (I suppose I could try the "reinstate factory settings option on the player).

Can anyone help?

theflirtydozen

#1207 Post by theflirtydozen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:51 am

Minkin wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:47 am
None of the colored buttons do anything to turn the player on. By the sounds of it, I should just press one of the colored buttons when the player is off, and that will turn it on with the correct region - but that is not happening here. Is there something I'm missing?
Only extra advice I have is that I know I have to hold the colored button for a few seconds (as opposed to a quick click) and sometimes it doesn't recognize this on the first try. Hope you get it figured out!

lefeufollet

#1208 Post by lefeufollet » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:17 am

I have the LG 630 as well. The color buttons themselves will not turn on the device – while the unit is powered down (with or without a disc inside), press (and release – don't hold) the blue button and then press power. There's no clear indication anything has changed when you press the blue button, but once the unit powers on you should be able to play region B discs.

Hope this helps!

DeprongMori

#1209 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:54 pm

Try the “1” and “2” buttons on the LG remote while the unit is powered down to switch between Region A and Region B. I never use the colored buttons and it works flawlessly for me.

FrauBlucher

#1210 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Minkin, I had a problem at one point where I couldn't get my LG player to switch to region b. It was very perplexing. I thought maybe the player was malfunctioning.

I have my LG player sitting on top of a Sony region A player. I wanted to compare a region A and B disc. I had powered up the Sony and then did the region coding on the LG. It wouldn't take. I couldn't understand. I kept trying over and over again. Different variations. Then I turned off the Sony and tried it again, not thinking that that was the problem. And presto the LG region coding switched to B. I guess someone with more knowledge on how the sensors on the players work can give an explaination.

DeprongMori

#1211 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:16 pm

One other possibility: The timeline on a disk may be messing you up. I once inserted a Region B disc while booted in Region A mode, and got the expected "Wrong Region" screen. However, I kept ending up on that screen even after rebooting into Region B as the player had memory of where the "playing of the disc" had left off (i.e., the "wrong region" screen.) Unplugging the player entirely cleared the memory, and everything was fine after that.

fdm

#1212 Post by fdm » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:29 pm

With Oppos, there is an auto-resume setting that causes that same type of thing to happen. To avoid region switchover problems, best to have that setting turned off. Maybe the LG has some similar setting.

Oh by the way, why don't you just have Bombay Electronics send you a set of instructions for using their mod? (You bought and paid for it, right Minkin?)

Telstar

#1213 Post by Telstar » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:08 pm

After many years of performing flawlessly my Seiki has begun to fail (won't recognize dvds much of the time now), so I'm looking for a decent replacement for under $200. I'm thinking of using up some amazon credit for either a Sony S1700, Sony S3700, or one of the several LG players available from Bombay Electronics or 220 through amazon marketplace. Havent been keeping up with what's good and available out there lately, so any suggestions?

David M.

#1214 Post by David M. » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:48 pm

Very happy with my Sony S3600, can't imagine the S3700 is much different.

hearthesilence

#1215 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Just saw this Cambridge CXUHD 4K UHD Universal Blu-ray Player, "the last Oppo-based UHD universal Blu-ray player, features customized modifications from Cambridge Audio." If the price goes down a bit more (ideally $500), I might consider replacing my current Oppo, especially if (or when) I get a 4K set. Especially nice if the audio upgrade is noticeable - I'm already using my Oppo for my primary SACD playback.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1216 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Any chance that the Cambridge BluRay player will be susceptible to multiregion modification?

Donald Brown

#1217 Post by Donald Brown » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Since it's Oppo-based, it's very possible that the external mod that plugs into the rear USB jack will work.

Adam X

#1218 Post by Adam X » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:35 pm

When I bought my Oppo 103 from a local AV store, there was a Cambridge BD player for a similar price that came region modded straight from the supplier. Not sure if this was only specific to Australia as DVD players were pretty much all region free toward the end thanks to an ACCC ruling (which seemingly got forgotten when Blu-Ray arrived), but there’s always a chance that could be the case here.

Minkin

#1219 Post by Minkin » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:34 am

Minkin wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:47 am
Thanks everybody for assuring me that its not my fault, but I still can't get it to play a Region B disc.....
For those wondering how this saga eventually ended.... I got it working finally (thanks to some help from FrauBlucher)!

Turns out: once the player is off, you press the Blue button at the bottom of the remote and then you press either 1/2/3, and then hit the power button. You guys made it sounds like 2 or blue would work - not a sequence of Blue and then #. After trying about 50x + reading tons of other forum posts (some were just idiotic: one told you to open the disc tray and then type in 14159265..... I'll let Swo explain the comedy in that one) - I'm annoyed that I didn't try this combo sooner.

But thanks everyone for helping me out with this! Glad its finally over and I can actually watch stuff I own again.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#1220 Post by jindianajonz » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:52 am

Minkin wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:34 am
After trying about 50x + reading tons of other forum posts (some were just idiotic: one told you to open the disc tray and then type in 14159265..... I'll let Swo explain the comedy in that one) -
Well, obviously it didn't work, you forgot the three.

Glad you got it to switch over!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1221 Post by swo17 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:50 am

There's nothing funny about leaving off the first digit of pi

DeprongMori

#1222 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:08 pm

FWIW, in my years of using my modded LG player from Bombay Electronics, I’ve never had to press the Blue button. I’ve only just ever had to press the “1” or “2” button while the power is off, then power up the unit. It has worked flawlessly.

dav1129

#1223 Post by dav1129 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:07 am

Caligula wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:10 am
David M. wrote:I've not heard of the Denon flash drive thing - where do you get the files to put on the drives? Freely available?
I have the files with instructions on how to use them - they should work for the DBT1713 and DBT3313 players. I have the Denon DBT 3313 and it works like a charm, playing any BD I throw at it - Criterion, MoC, Twilight Time's Big Heat, Japanese, Korean releases. I probably shouldn't say where I got the region-change files - don't want the relevant party to land in trouble. Suffice to say it's an official source.

If anyone wants the files with instructions PM me with your email address and I'll be happy to forward them.
Hi. I've registered and logged in but don't seem to be able to PM you. If the offer is still good I'd be interested in these files. Do they enable all DVDs and BDs to play on a DBT 3313UB?

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#1224 Post by Caligula » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:05 am

dav1129 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:07 am
Caligula wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:10 am
David M. wrote:I've not heard of the Denon flash drive thing - where do you get the files to put on the drives? Freely available?
I have the files with instructions on how to use them - they should work for the DBT1713 and DBT3313 players. I have the Denon DBT 3313 and it works like a charm, playing any BD I throw at it - Criterion, MoC, Twilight Time's Big Heat, Japanese, Korean releases. I probably shouldn't say where I got the region-change files - don't want the relevant party to land in trouble. Suffice to say it's an official source.

If anyone wants the files with instructions PM me with your email address and I'll be happy to forward them.
Hi. I've registered and logged in but don't seem to be able to PM you. If the offer is still good I'd be interested in these files. Do they enable all DVDs and BDs to play on a DBT 3313UB?
I've sent you a PM. The answer is an emphatic yes.

SalParadise

#1225 Post by SalParadise » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:56 am

Anyone know any region free BD players that are capable of pairing bluetooth earphones?