Cohen Media Group: Jacques Rivette

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Petty Bourgeoisie

Re: Cohen: La belle noiseuse

#51 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Sun May 13, 2018 12:46 am

DVDBeaver on the Cohen

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompar ... lu-ray.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Overall it's positive but they state "the Blu-ray has the unfortunate teal-leaning that we have seen many times". ](*,) I wanted to post the emoji where the smiley face vomits, but CF doesn't offer that one!

Luke M

#52 Post by Luke M » Sun May 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:I thought that the English subtitles were forced on the movie according to the blu-ray.com review. Whereas - (or is it me?) - it seems according to the review which just came out at dvdbeaver that the subtitles are not forced on the "main feature"...
so...?

for those who received their Cohen Blu-Ray of "La Belle Noiseuse"... forced subtitles or optional ?
Forced subs. There’s no set up option on the main menu screen and the subtitle button on remote is prohibited.

hearthesilence

#53 Post by hearthesilence » Sun May 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Wow. The print I saw at MoMI (which was in excellent shape picture-wise, if not a clean soundtrack) definitely did NOT have that teal hue. Pretty disappointing.

Leo Realism

#54 Post by Leo Realism » Sun May 13, 2018 5:23 pm

I've not seen the film, but to me the screen caps look like more of a neutral shift compared against the DVDs. It doesn't look nearly as bad as the 2k restoration of L'argent.

MongooseCmr

#55 Post by MongooseCmr » Sun May 13, 2018 7:16 pm

As far as unwatchable teal Beaver caps go these are on the low end for me. Only the amount of blue denim really betrays the color grading.

Rupert Pupkin

#56 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun May 13, 2018 11:32 pm

Luke M wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:I thought that the English subtitles were forced on the movie according to the blu-ray.com review. Whereas - (or is it me?) - it seems according to the review which just came out at dvdbeaver that the subtitles are not forced on the "main feature"...
so...?

for those who received their Cohen Blu-Ray of "La Belle Noiseuse"... forced subtitles or optional ?
Forced subs. There’s no set up option on the main menu screen and the subtitle button on remote is prohibited.
ok thanks.
so in order to reply to
furbicide wrote:Dumb question, perhaps, but I'm presuming that release doesn't have English subtitles, right?
the Japanese restored version (which used the same restoration than the Cohen release) : has optional Japanese subtitles. There's an ON/OFF menu on the pop-up menu of the blu-ray to remove the subtitles so you don't have to use the internal stettings of your stand-alone blu-ray player.

No English subtitles unfortunately (but I don't care, (I'm French :oops: )

It seems (I have to check it- that it's not locked region (contrary to the Cohen release (locked region A)

A lot of bonus are the same of the Cohen release (but no audio commentary) in 1080 (upscaled since these are video source).
One about Divertimento (a Stravinsky tribute) is very interesting with J.Rivette explaining how totally different is the "Divertimento" cut vs the full cut "La Belle Noiseuse". He deliberately use different shots/takes/angles for almost of the scene expect those with the close-up on hands while painting where he doesn't have some double/alternate take.
Thus this is a completely different movie. They show as an example the dinner scene...
The edit shows a different "flow" and atmosphere: on Divertimento the camera moves much more than on "Belle Noiseuse" where there are a lot of cut (and some intriguing short cuts).
Now that I have seen J.Doillon's "Rodin", "Divertimento" could be closer to the "Rodin"... (vs "La Belle Noiseuse")
That's certainly the reason why they didn't release it in Blu-Ray (Divertimento is included as a DVD in the Japanese release) - because that would have been like restoring another movie.

Petty Bourgeoisie

#57 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Mon May 14, 2018 2:41 am

"the Japanese restored version (which used the same restoration than the Cohen release)"

Are you sure about that? I thought the Japanese Blu-Ray came out in 2013. Which was before the CNC even approved restoration funds.

andyli

#58 Post by andyli » Mon May 14, 2018 3:06 am

There is a second release in Japan which used the new restoration.

Rupert Pupkin

#59 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon May 14, 2018 3:32 am

yes there has been 2 Japanese releases (perhaps not the same company/label) : : the first one called "remastered HD" (by TC Entertainment) released several years ago (time passes so quickly) was a poor SD to HD uspcaling (a terrible quality - even not as good as the Arte DVD (which was very good for a DVD). At that time I paid attention only to the "uncensored" mention (which implies : no optical foufoune-floutage). Thus, logically I was punished by the gods.
The new one came out around December and there is written "X4 restauré la version (which makes me laughed when I read it in French" (by Happinet) on the artwork :
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/La-belle- ... ay/184329/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the main menu of the blu-ray looks more elegant than the Cohen release by zeu way...

some screenshots had been posted at blu-ray.com if I can remember :
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=210127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since they looked as good as the restoration trailer from Cohen and when I got the confirmation that the subtitles were optional I didn't want to wait for the Cohen release. Voilà.

furbicide

#60 Post by furbicide » Mon May 14, 2018 8:27 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:the main menu of the blu-ray looks more elegant than the Cohen release by zeu way...
Oh yeah, can we take a moment to remark on how ridiculous the Cohen menu is? What does this ‘censorship’ motif they’re going with even have to do with the film? Let’s pray for a parallel UK blu-ray release.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#61 Post by tenia » Mon May 14, 2018 9:34 am

It's indeed hard to understand why you would censor the menu of an uncensored movie. I could understand for the cover, because who knows who can see it without buying it. But the menu ? I mean, you bought it, you're playing it, you're going to watch it.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#62 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat May 19, 2018 3:20 pm

I don't see a Rivette thread in the Film Directors section, so...

How "global" do people think Marianne's final word in La belle noiseuse ("no") is? (I think the question isn't really a spoiler, but any answers might well be)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#63 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat May 19, 2018 3:22 pm

As to the the new BluRay release -- the Rivette interview, while relatively short, is a very nice treat.

Petty Bourgeoisie

#64 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Sat May 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 3:20 pm
I don't see a Rivette thread in the Film Directors section, so...

How "global" do people think Marianne's final word in La belle noiseuse ("no") is? (I think the question isn't really a spoiler, but any answers might well be)
I thought it was an all encompassing "No". Marianne is now in complete ownership of herself and knows how to embrace writing due to her accidental lessons from Frenho. Thus, the spoken narrative at the beginning and end being future Marianne writing her memoirs. We see the memoirs visually, but it is Marianne doing the story telling.

The commentary is amazing. I never in a million years would have guessed the predominant subtext of the movie:
SpoilerShow
The final days of and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Even with Rivette beating me over the head with crucifixion poses and walling up the painting for it to come back later, I didn't get it. Frenho often goes on about death and resurrection. The equivalency of creating art and religious suffering and our ultimate fate, still didn't register with me! Thanks goodness for the commentary.

senseabove

#65 Post by senseabove » Thu May 09, 2019 12:52 pm

Is this really already out of print?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#66 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 09, 2019 12:55 pm

Unfortunately, as I've tried to flag elsewhere on the board, Cohen operates with a minuscule budget and has not repressed any of their titles in a long time, so their releases end up unofficial "limited editions" (since they still maintain the rights). This one seems to have sold out sooner than usual, though, so I could see them actually bothering to repress it. Then again, they let a Hitchcock movie go out of print, so maybe not

senseabove

#67 Post by senseabove » Thu May 09, 2019 1:11 pm

I'd been following the "surprise OoP" Cohen status in the Cohen thread, but hadn't seen this one mentioned there... I was half-hoping someone might have spotted one last copy out in the wild. Guess I'll have to hope for a UK or English-friendly French release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#68 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Did you check BN's stock? They can tell you what stores near you have it in stock-- I wouldn't be surprised if you could find one for MSRP

senseabove

#69 Post by senseabove » Thu May 09, 2019 1:29 pm

No BNs had it in stock anywhere near me. (There are lots of BNs in my region, but their stock is usually abysmal.) The only online retailer I could find with any in stock is Amazon.ca, and it's gone from "In stock" after my order to "Only # left in stock" now, so other folks have caught on. If anybody else wants it, hop to it:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B16RGBK/

Petty Bourgeoisie

#70 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Thu May 09, 2019 7:49 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:55 pm
Unfortunately, as I've tried to flag elsewhere on the board, Cohen operates with a minuscule budget and has not repressed any of their titles in a long time, so their releases end up unofficial "limited editions" (since they still maintain the rights). This one seems to have sold out sooner than usual, though, so I could see them actually bothering to repress it. Then again, they let a Hitchcock movie go out of print, so maybe not
Also Cohen has their own streaming service they are pushing for 4.99/month. If the physical copies sell out people will be more likely to sign up. I assume they manufacture x number of copies knowing they will disappear quickly. My irresponsible guess would be 500 copies of the Blu Ray.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Cohen Media Group: Jacques Rivette

#71 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:42 pm

The Jeanne d'Arc films will be coming to Blu-ray December 10th-- Trailer for the restoration

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#72 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:13 pm

What a difference that will make.

Marwood

#73 Post by Marwood » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:27 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:32 pm
the Japanese restored version (which used the same restoration than the Cohen release) : has optional Japanese subtitles.

It seems (I have to check it- that it's not locked region (contrary to the Cohen release (locked region A)
I'm finding conflicting info regarding the region status of the Cohen release. Blu-ray.com info states that it plays on Region B players, but Rupert Pupkin says it's locked. Can anyone who owns the disc please verify again wether the US disc really is locked to A?

(I don't mean to imply that Rupert Pupkin is wrong, but would love to be 100% sure before deciding to order or not, thanks)

modernmalaise

#74 Post by modernmalaise » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:32 pm

Marwood wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:27 am
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:32 pm
the Japanese restored version (which used the same restoration than the Cohen release) : has optional Japanese subtitles.

I'm finding conflicting info regarding the region status of the Cohen release. Blu-ray.com info states that it plays on Region B players, but Rupert Pupkin says it's locked. Can anyone who owns the disc please verify again wether the US disc really is locked to A?

(I don't mean to imply that Rupert Pupkin is wrong, but would love to be 100% sure before deciding to order or not, thanks)
I just checked and La belle noiseuse plays at Region B, but Joan the Maid does not.

Marwood

#75 Post by Marwood » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:06 pm

modernmalaise wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:32 pm
I just checked and La belle noiseuse plays at Region B, but Joan the Maid does not.
Thanks so much for confirming this! :D