Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Roscoe

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2076 Post by Roscoe » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:33 pm

The AMOLAD restoration ran at Film Forum a few months back. It is indeed stellar.

Cinephrenic

#2077 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:37 pm

Fassbinder's 'Eight Hours Don't Make a Day' mini-series playing at Film Forum with credits to Janus.

ianungstad

#2078 Post by ianungstad » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:45 pm

There's an article that is being discussed over on the bluray.com forums about the DVD/Blu market that was published by Collider.

http://collider.com/why-you-should-keep ... ical-media" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found this paragraph interesting:

Yesterday, Indiewire’s David Ehrlich tweeted that Amazon’s Wonderstruck won’t be receiving a physical release of any kind. Flavorwire editor Jason Bailey did get a response that a physical release would be on the way at some point, but for the foreseeable future, the only way to watch Todd Haynes’ film will be online (and hey, wouldn’t you know it, Amazon has a streaming service).

Doesn't this sound exactly like the Criterion/IFC relationship as to how new release films are handled? Criterion has also worked with Haynes on SAFE and with Amazon on David Lynch: The Art of Life.

Ribs

#2079 Post by Ribs » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:04 am

...not really? Like, other than that IFC owns films the situation is really different. It also drives me totally crazy the amount of people who responded to the original tweet saying “Criterion to the rescue?” seemingly unawate that Criterion is a business with relationships and contracts that is bound to releasing what it can finagle the rights for.

If I were feeling a conspiracy theorist I’d point out that on Thursday (2/1) Ehrlich was emailed that the Wonderstruck pre-order would be available two weeks from then, which as it happens would be 2/15.

Blutarsky

#2080 Post by Blutarsky » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:56 am

Earlier someone had mentioned John Waters was getting more releases well some more conformation was given tonight. I went to a Q&A at a Divine documentary in my town and Mink Stole was there answering questions. Someone had asked her when Pink Flamingos or Female Trouble was gonna be on blu ray and she had responded with, "John and the people who did Multiple Maniacs are trying to figure out something". Honestly a dream come true, Divine eating dog crap in 4k.

flyonthewall2983

#2081 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:46 am

ianungstad wrote:Doesn't this sound exactly like the Criterion/IFC relationship as to how new release films are handled? Criterion has also worked with Haynes on SAFE and with Amazon on David Lynch: The Art of Life.
Since all IFC seemingly shows (besides their original programs) is Three Stooges, Two and a Half Men and Hollywood movies from the 80's on now, I'd say no. IFC Films product get more play on Showtime and Netflix now.

FrauBlucher

#2082 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:31 am

If Criterion is set to announce Bowling for Columbine today, would they delay the announcement of the film in light of what happened yesterday or would they think it was oh so timely?

MichaelB

#2083 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:59 am

Someone PMed me to ask if Indicator would be delaying their release of The St Valentine’s Day Massacre - but since Roger Corman’s film isn’t about a school shooting and the title refers to a famous historical event that occurred nine decades or so ago, you’d have to be seriously reaching to (a) divine a meaningful connection with yesterday’s events and (b) be offended.

R0lf

#2084 Post by R0lf » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:38 am

It'd get pretty hard finding a release date when there are mass shootings every-single-day in the US, and ah, maybe the release of an educational anti gun movie about passing more gun regulations would be a good thing for (as the Onion would say) the only place in the world that this happens.

justeleblanc

#2085 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:19 am

R0lf wrote:It'd get pretty hard finding a release date when there are mass shootings every-single-day in the US, and ah, maybe the release of an educational anti gun movie about passing more gun regulations would be a good thing for (as the Onion would say) the only place in the world that this happens.
Perhaps then Elephant.

Minkin

#2086 Post by Minkin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:09 am

Here's your Speculation round-up!

Au Hasard Balthazar - Random upgrade, a surprise

Beyond the Hills - New Years clue (hills in background)

Graduation - New Years clue (graduation caps being tossed beyond the hills)

Midnight Cowboy - Possibly/probably the November 2013 newsletter clue. Moe had hinted it was coming, but sometimes these things get delayed. Became an on-going joke on this forum.

Mishima - Director confirmed that Criterion had done a new 2k restoration (which is odd, because the sell sheet lists it as 4k), but yeah, the director confirmed this upgrade was coming.

Moonrise - Was recently restored, but no definitive hints or clues were ever given

The Other Side of Hope - New Years clue (backward Hope sign) + touring from Janus
===================================
Absolutely amazed that Midnight Cowboy finally gets to be retired from the forthcoming list! I had contemplated taking it off a few years ago, but thought I'd keep it around for posterity / the running joke. Mishima was confirmed as forthcoming three years ago, so of course these things take time (see: Andrei Rublev upgrade). Also really strange about the absense of 4Months, 3Weeks and 2Days, as thats already been confirmed with cover art! Not sure why they didn't got with a boxset for all three films, but probably waiting for some reason on the third film. 262 Blu upgrades remain.

FrauBlucher

#2087 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:42 am

Minkin wrote:Moonrise - Was recently restored, but no definitive hints or clues were ever given
Mr Lime said this was coming from Criterion and not Kino on the bluray.com forum a few years back. Which corresponded with the Frank Borzage phantom page going up around the same time. Not really a surprise.

Minkin

#2088 Post by Minkin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:13 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Minkin wrote:Moonrise - Was recently restored, but no definitive hints or clues were ever given
Mr Lime said this was coming from Criterion and not Kino on the bluray.com forum a few years back. Which corresponded with the Frank Borzage phantom page going up around the same time. Not really a surprise.
Hah! You are indeed correct.
Despite posting only three posts later, I completely missed that scoop / forgot to add it to the forthcoming list, but I'll blame everyone else alongside for not reminding me to add it.
---------------------

In case anyone didn't check the WB thread:
demonknight wrote:Apparently, last night at a spoken word show, John Waters confirmed Criterion was doing Female Trouble for 2018 and Polyester for late 2018/early 2019.
I assume that Waters is slowly getting the rights back to his films - thus these won't be licensed from WB / New Line (as was the case with Multiple Maniacs)? Whatever the case, here's to hoping that Criterion can eventually release every Waters film. +I'm super happy to have this confirmation for Polyester! I just hope we'll get an Odorama card.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#2089 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Minkin wrote:I assume that Waters is slowly getting the rights back to his films - thus these won't be licensed from WB / New Line (as was the case with Multiple Maniacs)?
Female Trouble, maybe, but New Line actually co-produced Polyester instead of just picking up distribution rights as they did with their earlier Waters releases (and in fact I think it was the first film New Line produced). Obviously I don't know what kind of deal they had with Waters, but under normal circumstances they would have some ownership stake.

beamish13

#2090 Post by beamish13 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:20 am

The WB Archive no longer appears to be manufacturing Nicholas Ray's The Lusty Men. Could this be in anticipation of a Criterion release?

Graphist

#2091 Post by Graphist » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 am

Taking it with a grain of salt, but still,… according to one guy on Facebook (Criterion Considered group):
Just came back from a talk given by Kiarostami's son, Ahmad. According to him, Criterion is working on a Kiarostami box set with "all his films," to be released 2019!!! Koker Trilogy may be released separately however as its own set.

dwk

#2092 Post by dwk » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:04 am

He didn't mention a box set, but a few weeks back Ahmad Kiarostami did confirm on Twitter that Criterion and mk2 are doing new 4K restorations of all of his father's films.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#2093 Post by Omensetter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:51 am

That'd likely be the release of that year, if true. Would The Wind Will Carry Us be the main film excluded?

I'd imagine they'd upgrade and separate Taste of Cherry as well.

dwk

#2095 Post by dwk » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:39 am

The five films by Nico Papatakis mentioned in the Janus Films thread, will be coming out in a box set from Criterion.

ianungstad

#2096 Post by ianungstad » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Not sure if they've added these to their filmstruck channel but Hollywood Suite in Canada has Secrets and Lies (Mike Leigh) and Cousin Cousine (Jean-Charles Tacchella) in their Janus offerings this month: https://hollywoodsuite.ca/januscriterion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JayAlmighty

#2097 Post by JayAlmighty » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:27 pm

Forgive me if this has been revealed before, but I just came back from a screening of Boudu Saved From Drowning that started with the Janus logo plus restoration info (2K scan if my memory serves me right.) Does that mean a Criterion upgrade is on it's way?*

*I'm being sarcastic, btw.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#2098 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:16 am

ianungstad wrote:Not sure if they've added these to their filmstruck channel but Hollywood Suite in Canada has Secrets and Lies (Mike Leigh) and Cousin Cousine (Jean-Charles Tacchella) in their Janus offerings this month: https://hollywoodsuite.ca/januscriterion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They also added Julien Duvivier's Anna Karenina as a March premiere.

Cinephrenic

#2099 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:48 am

Still waiting for Cousin Cousine since they slated it for release. I think its been like 20 years now. lol

dwk

#2100 Post by dwk » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:22 pm