It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
 Post subject: Re: Indicator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:44 pm 

MichaelB wrote:
and The Sinbad Trilogy.

this along with the other boxes (Harryhausen) will receive non-limited editions too without the DVDs & Booklet?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:56 pm 

Or the box - they’ll be individual editions. Very safe to assume that the Sinbad films at least will get this treatment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:00 pm 

In the case of Sinbad, it's more of a book than a booklet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:01 pm 

It is, and this definitely won’t survive the box going OOP.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:31 am 

Any info on the Passenger "remaster"?

I'd say this is definitely an upper-tier Antonioni title. I have been waiting for this for so long; the R2UK Sony dvd that I own is very outdated, badly compressed and interlaced. I actually tried giving it a spin last year, but my Oppo couldn't manage upscaling it to look just somewhat passable, so I am looking forward to finally being able to revisit the film again. I have been lucky to see it on 35mm, and that closing shot, one of the best ones ever, I just don't want to see it in crappy dvd resolution. Given Indicator's history, this should look great, even though it will be sourced from an older master, but it would be nice to have some kind of confirmation. Definitely not sitting on my hands waiting for Criterion to release it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:16 am 

On the basis of what I've seen so far - and I understand the final encode will advance on this - I reckon people are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Some people have been spooked by the Spanish BD looking so terrible, but in no way does that reflect what Sony's master actually looks like. And Powerhouse's encoding policy, in line with pretty much everything that David Mackenzie works on, is to give the main feature maximum room to breathe while compressing the extras much more (especially modern talking-heads pieces shot against static backgrounds). Handily, in this particular case three of the major extras are commentaries so don't take up much additional disc space at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:05 am 

Thanks for the update, Michael. Sounds promising indeed. I have 8 Indicator-titles, all them great, Criterion-level releases. The only reason why I don't have more is that too many of the films themselves aren't quite up to scratch/not my cup of tea, but I'm sure that this Passenger release will become an instant favorite of mine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:25 pm 

April releases announced:

Quote:
SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER
(Joseph L Mankiewicz, 1959)
Release date: 22 April 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere) - pre-order here

Directed by Joseph L Mankiewicz (Dragonwyck, All About Eve, Cleopatra) from the play by Tennessee Williams (A Streetcar Named Desire, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof) and brilliantly adapted for the screen by Gore Vidal (Ben-Hur, Myra Breckinridge), Suddenly, Last Summer casts three of Hollywood’s most iconic talents (Elizabeth Taylor, Katharine Hepburn, Montgomery Clift) in a daring and often delirious mix of lurid drama and Gothic horror. Sensational and wildly controversial at the time of its release, Suddenly, Last Summer now stands as a classic – and stills packs a provocative punch.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• 4K restoration from the original negative
• Original mono audio
• Interview with Joseph L Mankiewicz (1990, 10 mins): the renowned filmmaker discusses his career in a segment from the French TV series Cinéma cinémas
• Interview with Elizabeth Taylor (1966, 2 mins): the celebrated actress remembers her friend and co-star, Montgomery Clift, shortly after his tragic death in July 1966
• Interview with Gary Raymond (2018): a new interview with the versatile British actor
• Interview with Patricia Marmont (2018): a new interview with the American-born British actor
• The Predator and the Prey (2017, 26 mins): Michel Ciment, critic, film historian and editor of Positif magazine, on Joseph L Mankiewicz and Suddenly, Last Summer
• Remembering Last Summer (2018): continuity supervisor Elaine Schreyeck and draughtsman Tony Woollard recall the making of Suddenly, Last Summer
• Isolated music and effects track
• Original theatrical trailer
• Trailer commentary with Dan Ireland (2013, 3 mins): a short critical appreciation
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Samm Deighan, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD075
BBFC cert: 15
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071441

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:26 pm 

And...

Quote:
LITTLE MURDERS
(Alan Arkin, 1971)
Release date: 22 APRIL 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (World Blu-ray premiere) - pre-order here

Adapted from the controversial stage play by Jules Feiffer (Carnal Knowledge), this savage, nihilistic black comedy was the startling directorial debut of actor Alan Arkin. When a severely depressed fashion photographer (Elliott Gould – M*A*S*H, The Long Goodbye, California Split) meets an optimistic young woman (Marcia Rodd – Citizens Band, Last Embrace), she is determined to save him amidst the series of random muggings, sniper shootings, garbage strikes and total blackouts that are ravaging the city of New York.

• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with actor Elliott Gould and writer Jules Feiffer
• Audio commentary with journalist Samm Deighan
• Interview with writer Jules Feiffer (2018): a new interview with the renowned author of the original stage play and screenplay of Little Murders
• Speaking of Films: 'Little Murders' (1972, 30 mins): an archival promotional audio recording of a discussion on the film with writer Jules Feiffer alongside academics and critics Susan Rice, Robert Geller, Leonard Maltin and Sean Driscoll
• Trailer commentary with Larry Karaszewski (2013, 4 mins): a short critical appreciation
• Original TV spots
• Original radio spots
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Amy Simmons, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• World premiere on Blu-ray

#PHILTD073
BBFC cert: 15 tbc
REGION B
EAN: 5037899071427

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:27 pm 

And...

Quote:
THE EFFECT OF GAMMA RAYS ON MAN-IN-THE-MOON MARIGOLDS
(Paul Newman, 1972)

Based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning play by Paul Zindel, Paul Newman’s second film as director stars his wife Joanne Woodward (Three Faces of Eve, Sybil) as an abusive, over-bearing mother raising her two daughters (Nell Potts and Roberta Wallach) in an atmosphere of bitterness and hatred. The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds is a powerful, searingly unsentimental and ultimately transformative drama, with a trio of towering performances from the three female leads at its core.

• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with film historian Adrian Martin
• The John Player Lecture with Paul Newman (1972): archival audio recording of an interview conducted by Derek Malcolm at London’s National Film Theatre
• Footage from the 1973 Cannes Film Festival press conference with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward
• Isolated music and effects track
• Original TV spot
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Johnny Mains, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray

#PHILTD074
BBFC cert: 12 tbc
REGION B
EAN: 5037899071434

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:28 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Three incredible films and three great looking releases. Marigolds is the Fox title I alluded to upthread

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:28 pm 

And finally...

Quote:
THE ST. VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE
(Roger Corman, 1967)

Roger Corman’s most ambitious and expensive production – his only film for a major studio – is a violent and lurid account of the events leading up to one of the most infamous events in American crime history. Detailing the bitter and brutal rivalry between feuding Chicago mob bosses Al Capone and ‘Bugs’ Moran, Corman’s vividly realised film features terrific performances from Jason Robards, Ralph Meeker and George Segal, and remains one of Corman’s best films.

• Original mono audio
• Roger Corman Remembers 'The St Valentine’s Day Massacre' (2014, 4 mins)
• Barry Forshaw on 'The St Valentine’s Day Massacre' (2018): an appreciation by the film historian and journalist
• Ben Ohmart on Paul Frees (2018): a new appreciation of the great voice actor by the author of Welcome, Foolish Mortals: The Life and Voices of Paul Frees
• Super 8 version: original cut-down home cinema presentation
• Isolated score: experience Lionel Newman and Fred Steiner's original soundtrack music
• Roger Corman trailer commentary (2013, 3 mins)
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Neil Sinyard, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray

#PHILTD072
BBFC cert: 15
REGION B
EAN: 5037899071410

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:39 pm 

In for Little Murders and Marigolds myself. Had never heard of the former until it was teased in last month's newsletter, but I love 70's Elliot Gould (and Arkin of course), and the latter is one I've wanted to see for a long time now. Will definitely try and get the other two shortly afterwards as well, with emphasis on the Mankiewicz (since I'm far more likely to hang onto it after seeing it).

Quick question, Michael - a new interview with Elliot Gould is mentioned on the Amazon specs for Little Murders. Still planned, or has that idea since been scrapped? :)

PS: stunning artwork and extras as usual, gang. A very strong month, that's for sure!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:04 pm 

Photo at the bottom of the newsletter is Claude Akins in Comanche Station, so coupled with Nick Wrigley's tweet that confirms the Budd Boetticher box.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:23 pm 

Suddenly Last Summer for me.
Glad I hadn't bought the TT edition yet.

mistakaninja wrote:
Photo at the bottom of the newsletter is Claude Akins in Comanche Station, so coupled with Nick Wrigley's tweet that confirms the Budd Boetticher box.

Hope it includes Seminole and Horizons West.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:31 pm 

Though it was going to be Boetticher's Columbia titles with Randolph Scott anyway, but glad to see it confirmed with this tease. In that case I suspect it'll be a five film set with The Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome and Comanche Station, and if it sells well they might consider licensing some more from Universal to do a follow-up set of The Cimarron Kid, Horizons West, Seminole, The Man from the Alamo and Wings of the Hawk.

Great to see them finally release some Westerns though. I wonder what the hold-up is with other Columbia Westerns, such as Cowboy (Daves), Major Dundee (Peckinpah), The Last Frontier (Mann), Cat Ballou (Silverstein), or Bite the Bullet (Brooks)? Thought at least a couple of those would be in the bag already...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:39 pm 

Wanted to see Little Murders for years & years - glad my first viewing will be what I'm sure is a top notch presentation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:42 pm 

I'm quite sure I read about it but can't find if I dreamed it or if it's real : my Border booklet has the credits page all messed up in gibberish. Is there a replacement program in place for the booklet ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:17 am 

tenia wrote:
I'm quite sure I read about it but can't find if I dreamed it or if it's real : my Border booklet has the credits page all messed up in gibberish. Is there a replacement program in place for the booklet ?

Yes - contact info@powerhousefilms.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:37 am 

Thanks Michael.
Though I'm not sure I'll actually change it, I admit it got me laughing quite a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:08 am 

tenia wrote:
Thanks Michael.
Though I'm not sure I'll actually change it, I admit it got me laughing quite a lot.

Well, I'm glad someone found it funny!

Stuff like this is tooth-grindingly annoying, because it's a mistake that happened after we signed off on the project - and of course we double-checked the proof that we signed off on as soon as the problem came to light, but unsurprisingly it looked perfect. Each Indicator booklet gets at least four pairs of eyes cast over it prior to sign-off, so the chances of us all missing something quite that glaringly obvious are nonexistent.

The real mystery is why the printers missed something that obvious - and it wasn't a first offence either, as the Day in the Death of Joe Egg booklet had an identical problem. But at least they admitted liability immediately (it was a bit open and shut in this respect), which is why replacements were produced very quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:25 am 

I can totally imagine how it can frustrating to see this happen after all the controls in the world.

I've been for the past weeks catching back some readings, including some booklets from video releases. I totally forgot about this so when I opened the booklet and saw this (on which you pretty much can't make out a single word of the credits, but all the names are however intact !), I just bursted out laughing. My GF next to me was wondering what was happening, and when I showed her, she got stuck on trying to decipher what happened there.

It seems to me like something I can pretty much live with anyway, but I probably won't bother with having the booklet replaced just for that, because I didn't impact my reading at all. But it suddenly made me remember about reading something about this, and wanted to know if I dreamt it or if it was real.

I now have to check my Joe Egg booklet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:31 am 

It's clearly some glitch to do with a particular font or treatment of said font - but since most booklets turn out perfectly and we do it the same way every time (and with the same font), I've no idea why it's gone wrong twice. And I'm even more baffled as to why it isn't spotted at the printer's end, as it really couldn't be any more obviously a mistake.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24