All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
CR2

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1151 Post by CR2 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:32 pm

cvarrick wrote:So I'm not sure how easy it is to toggle back & forth if it's your sole player.
From what it seems like I've read a couple places, it's literally as simple as entering "8520" (think that was it) at the setup screen and you get taken to a back door that lets you change region coding. So assuming there's not a limit on the amount of times you can switch that out, that seems pretty simple.

I just saw that one of the amazon reviews claims it doesn't play PAL DVDs. I'm pretty sure it DOES, but will check later.
I just saw that review myself. That would be a deal breaker of course, but you'd think any player where people are touting true region-free playback would play PAL discs. Assuming you're positive it's the same model, just let me know if it works for you. (Also does it play DVD-R, MOD, BD-R, etc.? I don't have a lot of them, but I know somethings don't. )

theflirtydozen

#1152 Post by theflirtydozen » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:33 pm

CR2 wrote:
cvarrick wrote:So I'm not sure how easy it is to toggle back & forth if it's your sole player.
From what it seems like I've read a couple places, it's literally as simple as entering "8520" (think that was it) at the setup screen and you get taken to a back door that lets you change region coding. So assuming there's not a limit on the amount of times you can switch that out, that seems pretty simple.
To be even more specific, for future reference: At the home screen when you first start the player, press "setup" on the remote then type "8520" and another box will come up with the region settings. You can set the DVD region to "0" for all region but you have to change between "1," "2," or "3" for blu regions A, B, and C, respectively. After entering the numbers for the region settings, you can press "setup" again to close all the boxes. Pretty sure this can only be done when there's not a disc in the machine or when the tray is open.

Oedipax

#1153 Post by Oedipax » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:56 pm

The Seiki certainly does play/convert PAL discs and DVD-Rs/DVD+Rs. It also properly converts 1080i50 blu-rays. It's a great player, you won't regret it.

I did have one BD-R it wouldn't play (Wiseman's La Danse from Zipporah) but that title didn't work in any of the players I tried it in.

CR2

#1154 Post by CR2 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:14 am

Alrighty guys, I went ahead and grabbed one, I'll report back when it's hooked up. Thanks so much!

CR2

#1155 Post by CR2 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Wow, this thing is GREAT. For such a little, no frills unit, it has all the functionality you could want out of all-region player. Quiet, and fast loading, even on recent titles, plays everything I could throw at it in a snap with zero hiccups.

I honestly thought when it was this cheap there had to be a catch, but there really isn't. Too good to be true, but it isn't.

craigelliott

#1156 Post by craigelliott » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:04 am

Good day all... am looking for some help please ... I have a new Denon DBT3313 Bluray Player and the DVD
part is zone free , but the Blu ray is only zone 2. I have heard that you can change zones by using a flash drive with the correct software on it.... does anyone have any info on this please !!! thanks so much

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#1157 Post by Godot » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:52 am

craigelliott wrote:...I have a new Denon DBT3313 Bluray Player ... the Blu ray is only zone 2. I have heard that you can change zones by using a flash drive with the correct software on it.... does anyone have any info on this please !!! thanks so much
Caligula posted some information on this back in 2013. I suggest that you contact him directly, he offered to help with flash region-free capability.
Here's the link to that post thread.

By the way, I used to frequently change blu-ray regions to watch discs, but found this too cumbersome with teaching the rest of the occupants in my home (including aging in-laws and occasional house-and-pet-sitters), despite writing detailed instructions. I finally bought a second blu-ray player (hardware-modified to multi-region), and although I realize that solution may not be economically feasible for many others, it simplified my life. Both blu-ray players are DVD-region-free, and I designate one blu-ray to region A and the other to region B; I then put a small colored dot on the spines of region B blu-ray cases (I have fewer of those), and the same colored dot on the region-B-designated player. Then I just explained to everyone that all "unmarked" discs (they often can't distinguish between blu-ray and DVD) will play in the "unmarked" blu-ray player, and all spines with dots will only play in the blu-ray player with the same colored dot.

I've had software-modified players, installed my own hardware kits, and purchased pre-hardware-modified players; the latter has served me most reliably. What a wonderful world we live in, to be able to watch the plethora of discs available from so many countries! Although I'm often asked by friends and family, "Why do you have two different versions of the same movie on blu-ray/DVD?" I try to explain about the special features and how some movies are only available from other regions, but I usually just get a blank stare. Everyone has their special pleasures.

Feego

#1158 Post by Feego » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:18 pm

I've owned my region free Blu-ray player for about seven years but am concerned that it may die in the near future. I've looked into the Seiki mentioned above, but I was wondering, what are the drawbacks of just importing a Region B player from the UK to the US? For a lower price than the Seiki, I can get this Panasonic shipped to the US from Amazon UK (I still have a perfectly good Region A player and have no problem hooking them both up). I am totally ignorant when it comes to these issues. Are there discrepancies between US and UK plugs and wires? Will I be able to just plug a UK player in to the wall out of the box, or would it require some sort of adapter?

Adam X

#1159 Post by Adam X » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:01 am

The UK & US have both different plugs and run on different voltages. In Australia, as with Europe I believe, most electronics like BD/DVD players are capable of running on either voltage, either by means of a physical external switch or internally via a built in transformer. In that situation all you'd need would be an adaptor or replacement lead with the correct plug. Depending on where you buy the player from, this might be an optional extra.

Feego

#1160 Post by Feego » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks for the info, Adam. I'll take all of this into consideration.

Zot!

#1161 Post by Zot! » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:24 pm

There is one other critical thing, which is that your TV will need to support 50i content if you intend to get any (berlin alexanderplatz, decalogue...etc.) Shameless Seiki fanboy here, but that player support either voltage, and can convert to either video encoding standard. I use one in the EU, and also in the US.

Feego

#1162 Post by Feego » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks Zot. I have actually gone ahead and ordered the Seiki.

DeprongMori

#1163 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:43 pm

FYI: Bombay Electronics is offering 20% off everything but OPPO. I bought my region-switchable player from them and have been quite happy with both the product and their tech support. Very responsive.
Offer valid on bombayelectronics.com through December 13, 2017 at 11:59 EST with discount code HOLIDAY20. Discount does not apply to Oppo Products. Discount cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts. Offer does not apply to gift card purchases.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1164 Post by Drucker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Is there a non-Oppo region-free blu ray player that has RCA audio cables these days?

dx23

#1165 Post by dx23 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:38 pm

I'm looking for a region free Blu-Ray and DVD player. The links in this thread show good options that are not longer available. Any recommendations?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1166 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:59 pm

Drucker wrote:Is there a non-Oppo region-free blu ray player that has RCA audio cables these days?
How about this: http://www.codefreedvd.com/region-free- ... layer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perkizitore

#1167 Post by perkizitore » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:35 am

fdm

#1168 Post by fdm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:25 pm

No RCA audio cables. (And if you were going to spend that much you might as well get an Oppo and be done with it.)

perkizitore

#1169 Post by perkizitore » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:38 pm

Yes, I agree for the US that would be the best option, but the Oppo in Europe costs at least $900!

fdm

#1170 Post by fdm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Well, maybe not then.

kekid

#1171 Post by kekid » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:12 pm

fdm wrote:
No RCA audio cables. (And if you were going to spend that much you might as well get an Oppo and be done with it.)
Is OPPO region free, or does it have to be modified? All the OPPOs I have owned needed to be modified. So which model are you referring to?

fdm

#1172 Post by fdm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:31 pm

kekid wrote:Is OPPO region free, or does it have to be modified? All the OPPOs I have owned needed to be modified. So which model are you referring to?
What's available brand new at this point is model UDP-203, which still has the desired RCA audio jacks. A hardware mod is needed for region free (blu-ray) playback, though it looks like the region free kits for it (the cheap but they work ones on ebay that plug into the back) are not as cheap as they were for the UDP-103/105 series (my lesson for the day). (My BDP-103s are working fine.)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1173 Post by Drucker » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:44 pm

I've decided to buy a brand new OPPO 203 that comes pre-modded. It seems that the options from both World-Import and 220 Electronics are now modded with hardware that should allow for it to be okay with firmware updates.

I post here since I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about why this is a bad idea before I pull the trigger. It seems both companies offer good service, but I figure I should ask one more time, just to be sure, that both companies are safe to buy from.

sinemadelisikiz

#1174 Post by sinemadelisikiz » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:15 pm

I got my OPPO years ago pre-modded from 220 Electronics and I would buy from them again honestly. They're legit.

fdm

#1175 Post by fdm » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:26 am

It seems the price for those is essentially the same as buying a new one from Oppo and getting an equivalent (no firmware update issues) mod off ebay. So probably a wash. (Was cheaper to do it yourself with their older players.)

Edit: And easy to install since you can just plug the hardware mod into the back, no need to open up the player if you get the right mod.
Last edited by fdm on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.