MoviePass and Other Cinema Subscription Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: MoviePass

#76 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Drucker wrote:Yes after complaining I got my card last week, used it Monday and it was incredibly easy. No complaints yet!
Not even with the movie you saw?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#77 Post by Drucker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Don't guilt me about not posting a review Mr. Swo.

Ribs

#78 Post by Ribs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Rather significant new language in the revised terms of service:

hearthesilence

#79 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:36 pm

Hah, not surprised - there's no way the current deal can be sustainable. I've had my card for two weeks and already I've caught four films I was already planning to see, each with a standard admission of $15 (typical NYC prices). Over the next six weeks, I've got six more I had already planned to go to, plus at minimum another four I may see now that I have this pass. That's well over $200 in admissions for $20.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#80 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:05 pm

LQ and I haven't used it in over a month. Had film festival badges for a few days, took a couple trips, etc - but still feel like a goon for having this service and not taking full advantage.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#81 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:13 pm

I should think that real life getting in the way + the dearth of worthwhile movies during some months would counterbalance much of the advantage that people have been getting initially.

hearthesilence

#82 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Most likely yes, but again, you just need to see one film a month here in NYC to make back your monthly admission and save $5 in the process. What got me to sign up this time (besides the price) is that BAM, Lincoln Center and Metrograph (as well as Quad, IFC, Lincoln Plaza and the Angelika) joined in. That's big because they're pretty heavy on repertory programming. I barely saw any new films during the summer and possibly spring months this year, but there was definitely plenty of good repertory screenings going on.

dx23

#83 Post by dx23 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:53 pm

Those new terms of service are a complete bait and switch and if they pull any funny shit, the backlash would be big enough to drive them back to the unknown hole they were in to begin with. I wish there was some consumer protection laws against this kind of bullshit.

lzx

#84 Post by lzx » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:14 pm

domino harvey wrote:I know they said the initial offer is limited, but they guarantee it will stay at that rate for at least twelve months
So I guess "guarantees" mean nothing to them heh.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#85 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:33 am

Since when is the price changing? That legal language is pretty standard stuff.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#86 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:49 am

Are we sure that's all new language? I thought I remembered reading something like that when the offer came out. Also, if you are allowed to cancel at any point that they suddenly jack up the price, where is the harm to the consumer?

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#87 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:05 am

MoviePass reserves the right to change the rules of movie-going attendance and ticket availability to members in connection with the Service at anytime. MoviePass reserves the right to change from time to time the number of eligible movies a member can see per month. MoviePass reserves the right to offer members a new price option if they exceed watching a certain amount of movies per month.
I think it's that last line that's going to be the bigger issue: The idea that there could be a cap on the service we are already paying for, and we won't know what that cap is until we hit it.

Of course, MoviePass's financial situation seems very shaky as it is, so anything they can do to keep themselves in business is a plus for me.

NullUser

#88 Post by NullUser » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:33 pm

swo17 wrote:Are we sure that's all new language? I thought I remembered reading something like that when the offer came out.
You are correct. This has always been part of the ToS. But obviously nobody bothered to read them and are now finding "changes" that never happened.

Here is an excerpt from the old terms:
27.3 Capped Plans - MoviePass may make changes to any products or services offered on the Site, or to the applicable prices for any such products or services, at any time, without prior notice. MoviePass reserves the right to change the rules of movie-going attendance and ticket availability to members at anytime. MoviePass reserves the right to change from time to time the number of eligible movies a member can see per month. MoviePass reserves the right to offer members a new price option if they exceed watching a certain amount of movies per month. You will be notified of any changes made to the terms of service prior to your next billing cycle, at which point you would have 14 days to opt-out of the service. MoviePass will not make any changes to your plan mid-cycle, all changes will be in affect at the start of your next billing cycle. MoviePass is not responsible for theater programming, cancellations, or rescheduled performances.
https://web.archive.org/web/20170911214 ... tent/terms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#89 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:44 pm

In case $9.95 was too rich for your blood, MoviePass is offering $89.95 for one year for a limited time. They claim that "Once your year is up, your plan will convert back into your $9.95 a month. Offer valid until it's not. Limit two per household."

hearthesilence

#90 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:16 pm

Members should be getting an email that will allow you to switch your plan beginning at the next billing cycle.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#91 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:23 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:In case $9.95 was too rich for your blood, MoviePass is offering $89.95 for one year for a limited time. They claim that "Once your year is up, your plan will convert back into your $9.95 a month. Offer valid until it's not. Limit two per household."
Update: I did this, on their website (can't do it through the app) and it was a relatively painless process. I would recommend that you update your payment method (if necessary... I opted to put this on a good rewards credit card since it was suddenly a sizeable chunk of change) in the app, and then go onto the website to do this if you aren't going to want to use the card you already have on file. It's basically a couple button presses and boom, you're scheduled to pay $89.95 on your next billing date instead of $9.95, then they won't bother you for a year. This went from being a really great bargain to being an astonishing bargain.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#92 Post by Brian C » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:33 pm

I just got my MoviePass a week ago and it occurs to me that it's an even better deal than when I worked at the movie theater and got free movies. And the reason for that is, I'd still go downtown to the Siskel or to the Music Box or wherever on a pretty frequent basis to see the stuff my theater wasn't playing. But the MoviePass is good at all those places - even Doc Films down at the U of Chicago, which is already a bargain with their $5 tickets but still.

I know no one here needs to be converted, but it's really kind of an amazing thing. I've used it for tickets totaling a $50 face value in just the first week I've had it. Probably will hit around $200 for the month this time of year.

Luke M

#93 Post by Luke M » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:57 pm

I upgraded to the $89.95 plan. Hope they stay in business and/or my theater keeps accepting them.

dx23

#94 Post by dx23 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:47 pm

AMC theaters got an email from corporate saying that they would continue accepting MoviePass but won't scan the AMC rewards cards when making a purchase. They state that no money is exchanged between the customer and AMC so they won't scan the rewards card. This confuses me as I thought that MoviePass puts money in their cards so when we go to the theater they go through and we can purchase the ticket.

Brian C

#95 Post by Brian C » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:13 pm

I went to the AMC River East here in Chicago today and I don’t think the cashier even looked at my card to know it was a MoviePass. I don’t have a rewards card, but I don’t see why I couldn’t just buy my ticket at one of their kiosks (like I usually do) and use the rewards card there.

neal

#96 Post by neal » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:28 pm

I use both at the AMC kiosk all the time with no problem.

Also, I'm also not sure how anyone at AMC ever thought they could just stop accepting MoviePass cards. They're Mastercard debit cards like any other.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this policy of treating them differently is in some way a violation of their agreements w/Mastercard.

Brian C

#97 Post by Brian C » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Well, what’ll happen is that when you go to use a MoviePass at a theater that doesn’t accept, is that no money will be loaded to your card, which means the card will be declined.

There would be no violation of MasterCard agreements. There are plenty of theaters that don’t accept MoviePass, nit to mention all the non-theatre merchants where your MoviePass won’t work either.

neal

#98 Post by neal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:43 pm

Right. But as far as I can tell, the theater doesn't actually have a say in it-- MoviePass decides. MoviePass can make their service work with any theater that accepts MasterCard and provides ticketing/showtime information online. If this weren't the case, AMC would likely have opted out already.

So-- MoviePass decides if there's money on your card. Assuming there's money on your card, I can't imagine that the theater can decline to accept that one type of Mastercard without running afoul of agreements with Mastercard.

Luke M

#99 Post by Luke M » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:15 pm

Did anyone who upgraded to the annual plan get charged the full $89.95? Just got notified of $9.95 charge and there’s no record of me switching plans. And the annual plan isn’t offered anymore.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#100 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:25 pm

I did get charged the annual rate. My next billing date reflects as 2018-11-30 in my Subscription Information (within the app).