It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:09 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:56 am
Location: Canada
Tim Lucas just posted about this condition.


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:30 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am
I have to say, I’ve never felt so much overwhelmed by what is currently being released. With the increase of the output from Arrow and Indicator, the steadiness of Criterion, Pathé and Carlotta, having started to dip into what Vinegar Syndrome or others are releasing, all while at the same time having moved in with my GF, I probably never bought so much stuff but certainly haven’t watched so little than currently. I’m still particularly happy to enjoy what has definitely turned into a movie library. I can just go in there, roam within all this cinema history and just pick and choose what I’d like to watch (providing it’s GF-compatible, of course).

However, I am also more and more starting to realise : when am I EVER going to watch these ? I have about 1400 unseen movies. At my current pace, it would take me 7 years to go through all of them. A 7 years backlog is quite a log not to feel stupidly un-reasonable about. :|

Oh and of course, my shelves are AGAIN almost full, though I’m quite certain I probably can hold a bit longer (as usual). But that’s now almost 4 full Ikea double-wide Billys (each with 8 double-deep rows), and a fifth one isn’t really something my GF seems to be happy about. But oh man, was it fun to move a half-ton movies around during my move to Belgium 6 months ago ! \:D/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:48 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:38 am
I hear you. My discovery of arrow alone has me a bit overwhelmed (to the point where I’m holding back some). Not to mention I found the criterion collecting bug again - picked up over 100 titles this last sale. Between the next flash sale and next B&n sale I hope to complete it again minus blu upgrades. Picked up some indicator too, and my recent region free status...

Hey, at least I didn’t get a move in, though, and I’ve been watching at a healthy clip.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:32 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Stretford, Manchester
tenia wrote:
I have to say, I’ve never felt so much overwhelmed by what is currently being released. With the increase of the output from Arrow and Indicator, the steadiness of Criterion, Pathé and Carlotta, having started to dip into what Vinegar Syndrome or others are releasing, all while at the same time having moved in with my GF, I probably never bought so much stuff but certainly haven’t watched so little than currently. I’m still particularly happy to enjoy what has definitely turned into a movie library. I can just go in there, roam within all this cinema history and just pick and choose what I’d like to watch (providing it’s GF-compatible, of course).

However, I am also more and more starting to realise : when am I EVER going to watch these ? I have about 1400 unseen movies. At my current pace, it would take me 7 years to go through all of them. A 7 years backlog is quite a log not to feel stupidly un-reasonable about. :|

Oh and of course, my shelves are AGAIN almost full, though I’m quite certain I probably can hold a bit longer (as usual). But that’s now almost 4 full Ikea double-wide Billys (each with 8 double-deep rows), and a fifth one isn’t really something my GF seems to be happy about. But oh man, was it fun to move a half-ton movies around during my move to Belgium 6 months ago ! \:D/

We were having this conversation in another thread recently. UK releases in the last 18 months or so have been absurd and prices aren’t dropping as reliably as previously. I have three standard tall Billys and a narrow one for a corner unit. They are 95% full, only single deep. I’m trying to weed out releases that would benefit from being ripped and put on my media server, because they are non-anamorphic or whatever, as I don’t have space for more shelving.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:25 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am
In some ways, I actually wish my budget to buy movies would be smaller, so that it would force me to just skip on some releases and prioritise more but no, I actually just got a 11% raise instead (not that I complain about it, but I'm pretty sure it's all gonna go into BDs somehow).

The UK releases pace has indeed been absolutely batshit crazy to the point I could basically be drowning already just with this market alone.

But this month, on top of that, the French market is going to melt with the Melville and Clouzot retrospective, plus Gaumont releasing about 13 (!) additional individual releases plus the J'accuse boxset, and M6 suddenly releasing 4 catalog movies out of the blue.
November in France ? 6 Pathé releases, 6 Hou Hsiao-hsien & 4 Hitchcock just from Carlotta, and that's just because I don't follow ESC, Elephant and Blaq Out much.
Fortunately, December will be the only calmer month, but it basically will just be an excuse to catch up with the Autumn stuff I wasn't able to buy yet.

It's almost so many releases to the point of being nightmarish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:37 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:45 am
I’ve changed careers, and my income has dropped significantly. So I have to ignore so many releases I am interested in. My amazon wishlist grows and grows as I wait for a B&N sale. I guess it’s nice to go trough my collection and rewatch things I own, but I’d prefer to have tenia’s problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:25 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am
I suppose anybody would indeed deem this a definite First World problem.
And I can't even fathom how I'll cope having to really significantly reduce my movies purchases once I'll have kids (though I suppose I'll also have even less time to watch some, so there's that).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:56 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:45 am
Ha. I went back and forth on whether to write “first world problem.” Yes, I’ve got a 4 yo, and the only chance I get to watch anything is after her bedtime, when I’m exhausted. So purchasing AND viewing have gone down significantly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:57 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am
jorencain wrote:
Ha. I went back and forth on whether to write “first world problem.”

It definitely is, and in some ways, I'm very aware of this.

But on the other hand, it's also pretty much my sole domain of leisure in which I spend my money. I don't have a fancy car, I'm still renting a flat with my GF, I'm certainly not an avid clothes shopper (quite the opposite, actually), we only go in holidays once a year during summer, etc etc, all this basically freeing up my BD budget.

jorencain wrote:
Yes, I’ve got a 4 yo, and the only chance I get to watch anything is after her bedtime, when I’m exhausted. So purchasing AND viewing have gone down significantly.

And that'll be, I suppose, the moment I'll be able to basically very slowly crawl in my backlog. :P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:46 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:52 pm
Location: Canada
tenia wrote:
Oh and of course, my shelves are AGAIN almost full, though I’m quite certain I probably can hold a bit longer (as usual). But that’s now almost 4 full Ikea double-wide Billys (each with 8 double-deep rows), and a fifth one isn’t really something my GF seems to be happy about.
I don't use shelves for my DVDs and BRs, I use a variety of IKEA locked cabinets, like this one. The initial idea was my paranoia about someone breaking in and then stealing the collection once they see it. But it also has the benefit of potentially taking up less space depending on how you configure it, looking less like a collector's lair and being more aesthetically pleasing (depending on what your idea of that is).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:02 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am
It looks pretty neat, but I doubt I could make a practical enough configuration out of it to hold my 2500 BDs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:52 pm
Location: Canada
No, you'd probably need about 10! :) I've got 4, but different models - including some older ones not available anymore that are less wide but greater in height.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:16 pm 

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:04 pm
I've considered Rayon Vert's problem about the collection being stolen. But when I imagine the potential robber breaking in, I don't know if they're going to really want the Tati box.

I've purged since originally posting in this thread. Trying to buy every release from a director is a hard habit to kick though...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:45 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 am
Yeah aren't most home robberys smash and grab after small easy to carry items like jewelry and cash and electronics. Disc media is bulky, I don't think most robbers are going to bother with wall sized cabinets filled with mere DVDs. They might take the matrix or fast and furious but I think Tati will be safe. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:06 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT
Burglars be like "eh, the BFI releases have better copies of the alternate versions of the films."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:52 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am
I've always imagined French burglars going in my BD library and be like "what the hell is this guy watching ? This is 70 years old and it aint even in French !" and then trying to swiftly get away with 500kgs of BDs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:07 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm
A few years back I actually did have a heavy crate of DVDs stolen from me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:18 pm 

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:49 pm
Tim comes off as kind of a dork in that piece but I'll concede that I erased the problem of indecision years ago with a looser but somewhat more elaborate method (essentially a spreadsheet of everything at hand, sortable by intuitive categories, so that if I feel like, say, a European 'Scope film from the '60s or a William Wellman binge, I can instantly see my options).

Now that I'm on the cusp of middle age I'm more about measuring the gap between my burgeoning kevyip (conservatively 5 years' worth, probably closer to a decade) and the Grim Reaper's arrival, and wondering whether physical media will last long enough to bridge it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:57 pm 

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:45 am
knives wrote:
A few years back I actually did have a heavy crate of DVDs stolen from me.

Was it stolen during a break-in of your home?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:30 pm
Location: Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire, UK
I actually have the different fear of a burglar breaking in only to have a pile of DVDs collapse on them and I end up going to prison for having accidentally killed someone because of my poor filing system! :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm
Noiradelic wrote:
knives wrote:
A few years back I actually did have a heavy crate of DVDs stolen from me.

Was it stolen during a break-in of your home?

Yes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:12 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Stretford, Manchester
tenia wrote:
I've always imagined French burglars going in my BD library and be like "what the hell is this guy watching ? This is 70 years old and it aint even in French !" and then trying to swiftly get away with 500kgs of BDs.

I imagine your average gammon-faced British Brexit burglar has even less cultural exposure.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:49 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am
TMDaines wrote:
tenia wrote:
I've always imagined French burglars going in my BD library and be like "what the hell is this guy watching ? This is 70 years old and it aint even in French !" and then trying to swiftly get away with 500kgs of BDs.

I imagine your average gammon-faced British Brexit burglar has even less cultural exposure.

"Ugh ! Continental Europe stuff !"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:57 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:32 am
'British Brexit Burglars!' Only in the fevered imagination of Remoaners!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




This site is not affiliated with The Criterion Collection