Recommendations for Second Run

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
rapta

Re: Recommendations for Second Run

#426 Post by rapta » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:38 pm

Any chance we'll ever see Marcell Jankovics' Fehérlófia (aka Son of the White Mare) restored and on Blu-ray? Be an interesting one for Second Run to try and get hold of... ;)

kazaam

#427 Post by kazaam » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:52 pm

Honestly I can't think of anyone else who would do this outside Second Run. Any glimmer of hope (even remotely) for any film signed by the amazing Binka Zhelyazkova?

admira

#428 Post by admira » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:53 am

some Kachyňa?
http://en.filmexport.cz/new-films/nadeje-digipack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

L.A.

#429 Post by L.A. » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:41 pm

A Blu-ray collection dedicated to Sándor Sára, Hungary's greatest cinematographer. Current, The Upthrown Stone and Ten Thousand Suns included. Just hoping :wink:.

rapta

#430 Post by rapta » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Forgive me if this has already been asked a thousand times already, but I did search for it and couldn't find anything...

How likely is a Blu-ray release of Zulawski's On the Silver Globe [Na srebrnym globie] from Second Run? Or would it be more likely Arrow Academy would get it, seeing as they recently released Cosmos?

Or is there something I'm missing that's holding up a Blu-ray release altogether?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#431 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:48 pm

I doubt anyone would do anything with it before Mondo.

MichaelB

#432 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:57 am

Arrow has no plans for any back-catalogue Żuławski titles.

L.A.

#433 Post by L.A. » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:32 pm

How about The Falcons (1970) and on Blu?

MichaelB

#434 Post by MichaelB » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:38 pm

Does an HD master exist?

L.A.

#435 Post by L.A. » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:00 am

MichaelB wrote:Does an HD master exist?
Let's hope so.

In Hungarian only but MaNDA is in the process of restoring more Hungarian classics including Somewhere in Europe (1948) and Merry-Go-Round (1956), the latter's earlier DVD from Mokep wasn't correctly framed or so I've heard.

I understand Clavis released some Hungarian films on DVD years ago. Just curious, how do they look like?

MichaelB

#436 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:09 am

Indeed it wasn't - a visibly cropped and obviously ahistorical 16:9.

RobertB

#437 Post by RobertB » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:42 pm

After Baron Munchausen maybe it's time for some animation from Second Run? Yuri Norstein had his films released on BD in Japan this spring. I have not seen anything about releases in USA or UK, and according to yesasia the japanese edition is already out of print. I hope someone is releasing the new restorations in UK.

coruja

#438 Post by coruja » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:37 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Rooting around in my garage i came across a box of off air taped VHS including docs by Podnieks...

I too have these on VHS, though I transferred them to DVD myself, just for preservation.

"Homeland", with the added introduction of the death of Podniek's cameraman, is quite possibly my favourite film of all time. It never fails to have me in floods of tears.

I'd love to see this put out on Second Run.

DDillaman

#439 Post by DDillaman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:09 pm

Just adding another vote for Fehérlófia, which I'd buy in a heartbeat. A true stunner of a film I'd love to own on Blu.

rapta

#440 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Anyone know if Karel Kachyňa's Malá mořská víla (The Little Mermaid) would be a possibility for Second Run?

furbicide

#441 Post by furbicide » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:35 am

Oh, while we're on Kachyňa, I really enjoyed his Waiting for the Rain, which as far as I know has never been released on DVD.

Apu

#442 Post by Apu » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:09 pm

Any chance that Second Run will pick up the stunning fiction film 3/4 by Sofia's Last Ambulance director Ilian Metev?

zedz

#443 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Since Intermedio have confirmed that their forthcoming disc of Mariano Llinas' extraordinary Extraordinary Stories won't have English subs, how about Second Run picking it up?

AlexHansen

#444 Post by AlexHansen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:40 pm

zedz wrote:Since Intermedio have confirmed that their forthcoming disc of Mariano Llinas' extraordinary Extraordinary Stories won't have English subs, how about Second Run picking it up?
This would be an excellent release.

solaris72

#445 Post by solaris72 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:39 pm

Given the success of the Zeman release, would love to see Trnka's Sen noci svatojánské (A Midsummer Night's Dream). Possibly the most visually beautiful Shakespeare adaptation ever made. The English dub would be a nice addition- it includes Richard Burton.

MichaelB

#446 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Second Run looked into the possibility of doing something with Jiří Trnka in 2012, his centenary year, but the existing masters looked dreadful (I watched them at the time; they weren’t exaggerating). Although hopefully things have changed/are changing - I’d be very surprised if Trnka wasn’t a major priority for restoration, not least because his films have instant international appeal in a way that isn’t true of many other Czech films.

solaris72

#447 Post by solaris72 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:30 am

MichaelB wrote:Second Run looked into the possibility of doing something with Jiří Trnka in 2012, his centenary year, but the existing masters looked dreadful (I watched them at the time; they weren’t exaggerating). Although hopefully things have changed/are changing - I’d be very surprised if Trnka wasn’t a major priority for restoration, not least because his films have instant international appeal in a way that isn’t true of many other Czech films.
Good to know. Pity the elements were in rough shape. I did some googling, and it looks like since then restorations of all of Trnka's films are in the works (according to this page), and this PDF seems to indicate that restorations of Old Czech Legends and The Czech Year have already commenced. (The former seems to have been completed- it screened in 2015)

rapta

#448 Post by rapta » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:32 pm

I would be very happy about some Trnka arriving on Blu-ray. Went on about it a bit a few years ago on various forums, but with the success of the recent Zeman release, it might be something Second Run could look into now. A couple of years ago I would've suggested BFI or Arrow might seek a box set, but it may make more sense to pick his films one by one as they're restored (and obviously see how they do). Fingers still crossed...

knives

#449 Post by knives » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:36 pm

I know this is a little outside SRs norm, but I would love a set of Gadalla Gubara's films. My understanding is that to east Africans he holds a similar importance to what Ousman Sembene holds in the west. There's even a nice ready made extra in the form of Cinema in Sudan: Conversations with Gadalla Gubara which is a UK co-production if that breeds any excitement.

Calvin

#450 Post by Calvin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:20 am

David Cairns' article for The Forgotten today is on the late Juraj Herz's Zastihla Me Noc, and it sounds absolutely fascinating. I can't find any information that points towards a recent restoration, but I'd love to see it. The sad news of Herz's passing made me realise that I'd only seen The Cremator and Morgiana, despite the former being high on my all time list. A Second Run release of his Beauty and the Beast would also be appreciated.