Master of None

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Ribs

Master of None

#1 Post by Ribs » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:18 pm

I think it's super neat that the new Aziz Ansari sitcom coming on November 5th (which had a trailer debut today) was filmed in 2.35:1. I think House of Cards' unique AR is one of the few things I really have always liked about it and I'm glad to see they're open to continuing that elsewhere.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Netflix Originals

#2 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:58 am

I really liked Noël Wells on SNL and it's great to see her pop up again so soon in something so visible.

As for the aspect ratio though - really seemed unnecessary, and some of the framing was a little bizarre for some of the simple set-ups that sitcoms require (for example, one moment in bed where Wells looks like a floating head, later on when the woman running that audition is barely in the frame). So I don't really see why it's necessary for this one. If Soderbergh had wanted to do The Knick in that format or whatever, that'd make a whole lot more sense to me.

ianungstad

#3 Post by ianungstad » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:39 pm

The Aziz Ansari series Master of None which drops next week is getting across the board rave reviews from critics.

ianungstad

#4 Post by ianungstad » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:53 am

Hugely impressed by Master of None. Easily the best new show of the fall. It better get picked up for a second season.

nick
grace thought I was a failure

#5 Post by nick » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:57 am

I'm two episodes into Master of None and so far I'm impressed as well.

John Shade

Re: Master of None

#6 Post by John Shade » Mon May 15, 2017 1:09 pm

Has anybody else taken the plunge with season 2? I think some people on this board would enjoy it; the first episode makes good use of playing with Bicycle Thieves. I've only watched the first two, but from what I'm reading he plays around structurally quite a bit--in one interview Ansari talks about Italian lessons along with a few weeks watching '50s and '60s art-house classics.

Gregory

#7 Post by Gregory » Mon May 15, 2017 1:48 pm

I liked how the beginning of the first episode shows that Dev has a stack of Criterion Blu-rays of Italian classics on his bedside table. I guess like many of us he likes to read a couple of those big, awkward fold-out poster essays before turning in.

The third episode is a nice example of one of the things Ansari talked about in his SNL monologue: a relatable slice of life of brown people (in particular Muslims and "lapsed" Muslims) going about their everyday habits, to offset some of the steady diet of extremist and other negative portrayals in the media.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#8 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:58 pm

LQ and I watched the first four episodes yesterday and despite the direction occasionally being a little shaky (mostly, again, sort of limited by the aspect ratio choice - when Ansari and Wareheim are walking through that Italian market Ansari can barely keep his head above the black bar next to the very tall Wareheim), it's much prettier and more densely textured with visual ideas. The first episode looks fantastic and that opening shot of the season is as totally arresting as Ansari likely hoped it would be.

The third episode is indeed the highlight so far despite the acting limitations of Ansari's parents, but I thought the fourth (with all of the different dates) had some pretty neat editing despite being a little frustratingly undercooked when it came to the actual plotlines of the dates. It's not quite at the level of Louie yet, but I think I prefer being immersed in Ansari's worldview to CK's.

Andre Jurieu

#9 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue May 16, 2017 2:10 pm

I think what I enjoy about this show is it casually focuses on forgotten topics, characters, and cultures, without feeling the need to deliver any real lesson. I would say that the best episodes in either season really have nothing to do with the relationship-narrative that loosely binds the seasons. While the relationship material is mildly amusing and somewhat perceptive, it's just great to have entire episodes dedicated to aspects of life that never seem to be explored by other TV shows. Few shows ever think about parents or relatives without turning them into caricatures, or reducing them to merely a barrier or ordeal for the central character, and it's rare that any show really spends time focusing on their actual lives or history beyond their impact on the daily life of the main character. Some of the chosen topics tend to have more personal relevance to me since they I can easily identify with the circumstances (even though it isn't the exact same situation, I was pleased they did that entire episode on food and religion). However, even the plots and topics I don't personally relate to easily, I find myself just appreciating the fact that someone has decided to explore the lives of people that pop-culture and society often forget or entirely discard. It's also refreshing to have episodes dedicated to moments and decisions within someone's life that feel glossed over on other shows in order to just get back to the familiar relationship-plot.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#10 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:21 pm

The season finished very nicely, although I do think that Ansari had some issues figuring out how to close things out. Much like the central relationship, the tension built and built and built with no release, and then things became frayed and fizzled and messy in a way that didn't do many favors to the narrative. That said, Bobby Cannavale's loose Bourdain impersonation was excellent throughout and I was genuinely surprised by the dark direction that character was taken in. Oh, and I must call out the episode "Thanksgiving" for being a tender, well written and acted standout. It's hard to choose a best episode of the season, but if pressed I would probably choose that.

One question in case there is a definitive answer to this:
SpoilerShow
Is the final shot of the season a look back at Francesca and Dev in bed on the night of the snowstorm, or a Graduate-esque look at them now living together?

Self

#11 Post by Self » Tue May 23, 2017 12:36 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:One question in case there is a definitive answer to this:
SpoilerShow
Is the final shot of the season a look back at Francesca and Dev in bed on the night of the snowstorm, or a Graduate-esque look at them now living together?
SpoilerShow
In the last shot Francesca is not wearing an engagement ring, whereas the night they spent together in bed it was a major object of Dev's gaze

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#12 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:25 pm

SpoilerShow
If that's the case, I hate that after building up so much believable romantic chemistry, Ansari decided the only way he could have those characters get together is by making them both uncertain and somewhat unhappy about it. It feels more withholding for the sake of creating something artistically interesting (and falling a bit short) than the natural conclusion to that plot thread. Was almost like he couldn't allow himself (even temporarily) to give Dev a happy ending.

jazzo

#13 Post by jazzo » Tue May 23, 2017 3:34 pm

I was quite taken with this season, and think that Ansari's direction in the show has improved by leaps and bounds from season 1, which (for me), while very charming, was also very flat. There's a confidence in the camera placement/movement, and even the writing in general that just wasn't there the first season.

LOUIE goes much darker as a show, but that's fine, too. MASTER OF NONE has a different purpose; a younger one, to most degrees, and more modern and culturally significant. CK's direction is messier, more hang-doggy and scruffy, and that's kind of the appeal. Master of None probably has much more money and time behind it, but it shows, too. Its quite beautifully crafted.

THANKSGIVING was just lovely. Best episode of the show so far, although I will say that the final two shots of season were breathtaking for me, ending each scene/shot exactly where they needed to be ended.