Movie Posters

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Andre Jurieu

Re: Movie Posters

#201 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:53 pm

Yeah - don't get me wrong - those posters are pretty sweet, but that cat is distractingly adorable.

TMDaines

#202 Post by TMDaines » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:30 am

That's some serious money for a reproduction.

Anyone got recommendations from places to order from in the UK? Would like to obtain and frame a few classic posters for the lounge. Not interested in them being originals, just decent quality printings.

thirtyframesasecond

#203 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:39 pm

TMDaines wrote:That's some serious money for a reproduction.

Anyone got recommendations from places to order from in the UK? Would like to obtain and frame a few classic posters for the lounge. Not interested in them being originals, just decent quality printings.
I got a few things back in the day from Vinmag in Soho. Can't remember if they were great quality but they're reasonable. They do all sorts of posters, not just film, but they've got Godard, Fellini, etc.

http://www.vinmag.com/

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#204 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:46 pm

Yes, thankfully I picked mine up at Comic-Con, where they had their one sheets for $100 each, and the Metropolis print included the frame. Still, the quality on them is fantastic.

marqueeposter

#205 Post by marqueeposter » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:49 pm

By the way, the reason these reproductions are so expensive is because they are actually hand-drawn, fully-recreated lithographs. A while back a group of artists bought and restored an old turn of the century litho press. The process is cumbersome and takes incredible talent, which is why I'm assuming they are charging so much. You can read about the press and the film poster series here:

Rue Royale Fine Art - About Us
The AFI (Art of the Movies) Collection

Lemmy Caution

#206 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:45 am

I'd never seen that in different colors.
The yellow is pretty striking
(from pics of a ritzy London hotel).

gfxtwin

#207 Post by gfxtwin » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:54 pm

Found via google image search and printed at Office Max:

Emak-Bakia

#208 Post by Emak-Bakia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:13 am

Picking up a used mat cutter on craigslist continues to be one of the best purchases I've made in a some time. I've really taken a knack to framing my own photos, photos from friends, and all of the other artwork and ephemera I've accumulated over the years. I finally got around to framing up my Speedy window card.

I found this window card as backing in an old frame, so the bottom and right edges were trimmed a bit, which explains the odd choice of matting. The trade-off is that this has scarcely seen any light for 80+ years, so the colors are popping. Don't worry, I've got it archivally framed with all acid-free materials, museum board on the front and back, and with anti-UV glass.

Post edited to re-link image.
Last edited by Emak-Bakia on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrixschmatrix

#209 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:13 pm

We just bought a house, and I went a little nuts. These are all theatrical apart from the Breathless one, though I'm still worried about Alice- that one was from the Svankmajer Kickstarter, so the signature is certainly real, at least.

It is godawfully hard to take a picture of a framed object in daylight, huh?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#210 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Love the Bigger Than Life poster and tagline! And nice Lloyd pick, Emak!

I find myself pricing original Breathless posters when I want to feel rich, I recently spotted a great one from the initial American release which revealed it was initially distributed by 20th Century Fox in the states! Speaking of Godard, here's my original:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#211 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:09 pm

Also, here's the greatest deal I ever found on eBay. The seller had no idea that original Noir posters can go for hundreds, I'm pretty sure I got the Impact poster for like $14:

matrixschmatrix

#212 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Wow, nice! I love the Tenebaums one, too.

I've been buying mine from emovieposters, which I feel good about authenticity from- it's a long wait between anything I might want, but it's a great place to find things you didn't know you wanted.

Emak-Bakia

#213 Post by Emak-Bakia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:36 pm

Whoa, nice stuff, matrix and domino! What a deal on that Impact poster. There are definitely great deals to be had on eBay, since I think a lot of people are skeptical of reproductions on there. For purely illustrative purposes (because I would never brag, no sir), I’ll mention the Little Fugitive half sheet I picked up on there for something like $20. It’s one of my prized posters, but I still need to get that one properly framed. My partner and I are working on moving out of our one bedroom apartment and into a 4-5 bedroom house, so I'm hoping to have much more room in the near future for displaying all the junk I've accumulated over the years (and a lot less money for accumulating junk), rather than stacks of frames leaning up against every wall.

I know that over the last few years at least there’s been a lot of artisanal interest in sign painting, but what do people know about hand painted movie posters? Just last week I blind-bought a few posters from the 30s and 40s, thinking that they were small print-runs from a local print shop, but I was thrilled when I picked them up to discover that each one was expertly hand-painted and totally unique. It’s a fascinating phenomenon to me, and the posters are folk art, as far as I’m concerned. I’d love to learn more about how common it was, or just find some galleries of other examples. Having trouble looking it up so far without being inundated with information about Ghanese posters (delightful as they may be.)

"membrillo"
Location: San Diego, California / Tijuana, Baja California Norte

#214 Post by "membrillo" » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:56 pm

rohmerin wrote:I've uploaded all in two parts (the 1st is the link you know with 50 or 60 new posters).
Note the anti US propaganda and design Puerto Rico, pro Vietnam, etc. US flag are the chains for Puertoriqueños.

Bleached brains with lots of Cuban documentaries, and those strange and unknown Eastern films but They could watch 1 Szabo (Apa, Padre) 2 Wajdas, several Kurosawas, 1 Anthony Mann, The pawnbroker ! Moby Dick, even Spanish films but no Italian "red" or liberal French. Strange.

http://rohmerin.blogspot.com.es/2014/08 ... rt-ii.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saludos.
In case you update periodically, here is a Cuban I didn't see on your blog. Original on linen:

dda1996a

#215 Post by dda1996a » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:41 pm

What's a good international poster site that won't make a big dent in my bank account?

"membrillo"
Location: San Diego, California / Tijuana, Baja California Norte

#216 Post by "membrillo" » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:28 pm

That depends on what your definition of "big dent" is. What specifically are you looking for?

dda1996a

#217 Post by dda1996a » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Nothing in particular, just great looking and interesting posters like most of the photos posted above. And $100 is a lot for one poster, or even 50 for that matter

rohmerin

#218 Post by rohmerin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:34 am

Welcome to cheap originals. Used from Spain. Not only Spanish, they sell American, Italian, French, Germans...
Amazing that María Felix is quite expensive, Fellini, Pasolini or Wilder are not.
Lots of B and 70s 80s re-releases but you can find some lost A.

Note that you are looking 70x100 formats.

Better buscar (search) for actors.

Some seller send abroad "Formas de pago y envío"

http://www.todocoleccion.net/app/buscad ... i%20poster

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#219 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:31 pm

A24 is crushing it in the poster department at the moment.

big ticket

#220 Post by big ticket » Mon May 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Speaking of, is A24 no longer selling their posters online?

Costa

#221 Post by Costa » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:56 am

Does anyone know how can i get a Criterion poster being in Europe?
I understand the Criterion site doesn't send to international destinations.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#222 Post by tenia » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:56 am

Costa wrote:Does anyone know how can i get a Criterion poster being in Europe?
You can try and send them and email at orders@criterion.com explaining your situation. I'm under the impression that they don't ship movies outside of US and Canada, and have thus restrained their website to these countries, but they can actually ship other stuff if a specific request is made.

For instance, I bought from them some spare Scanavo cases this way and more recently the Del Toro trilogy packaging (to France). I suppose the same might be possible for posters.

Costa

#223 Post by Costa » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:09 am

tenia wrote:
Costa wrote:Does anyone know how can i get a Criterion poster being in Europe?
You can try and send them and email at orders@criterion.com explaining your situation. I'm under the impression that they don't ship movies outside of US and Canada, and have thus restrained their website to these countries, but they can actually ship other stuff if a specific request is made.

For instance, I bought from them some spare Scanavo cases this way and more recently the Del Toro trilogy packaging (to France). I suppose the same might be possible for posters.
oh, i see. Thanks.
(strange that noone has asked this before - i guess?)

Gregory

#224 Post by Gregory » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:38 pm

David Merveille* did some posters for The Trouble with Harry. (Also this one.)
*known for various Tati books, Criterion box set art, and posters

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#225 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:17 pm

This is one of the best posters I've seen in a long, long time