MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
TMDaines

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3676 Post by TMDaines » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:29 pm

Geez interest in MoC is all but dead. Couple of hours after their announcements and no discussion or reaction here.

Yey for Varieté finally, but not much else. Maybe I'll get the Caligari Steelbook for the extra film, but not the most inspired release. Can we have the definitive release up front next time rather than a year or two later?

Forrest Taft

#3677 Post by Forrest Taft » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:32 pm

I'll get the Metroplis anime as well and have already pre-ordered Creepy. The Caligari double dip is unecessary, but this is the most exciting selection of titles from them in a while, IMO.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3678 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:46 pm

Well, no one bothered to post them here, so how are we supposed to react to anything?

lubitsch

#3679 Post by lubitsch » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:08 pm

TMDaines wrote: Yey for Varieté finally, but not much else.
Yay for a Varieté with a new soundtrack, namely a Stephen Horne piano one. Masochists might want to listen to the Tiger Lillies who are added as a second option.

Morgan Creek

#3680 Post by Morgan Creek » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:14 pm

Our January slate was announced today via our Facebook page and Twitter accounts.

La Bamba, the All-American rock to riches story of rock and roll legend Ritchie Valens starring Lou Diamond Phillips, will be released on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK in a 30th Anniversary Digitally Restored Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition on 9 January.

Osamu Tezuka’s Metropolis, the spectacular anime based on the 1949 Metropolis manga, itself inspired by the 1927 German silent film of the same name, will be released for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK, in a Limited Edition Dual-Format SteelBook on 16 January, and a Special Dual-Format edition on 13 March.

Das Cabinet Des Dr Caligari, Robert Weine’s sinister tale of psychosis and murder, set in a warped gothic landscape, will be released in a Limited Edition 2-disc Blu-ray SteelBook featuring the 2014 documentary From Caligari to Hitler as part of the Masters of Cinema Series on 16 January. One of the most iconic masterpieces in cinema history, Robert Wiene's film shook filmgoers worldwide and changed the direction of the art form. Now presented with a bonus Blu-ray disc containing the 2014 documentary From Caligari to Hitler, exploring the social and cultural impact of German Cinema during the Weimar Republic.

The German silent masterpiece Varieté, E.A. Dupont’s crime of passion set in the circus milieu starring Emil Jannings, will be released in a digitally restored 2K Dual Format edition as part of the Masters of Cinema Series on 23 January.

And finally, following the festival screenings and theatrical release on 25 November 2016. Creepy, Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s breath-taking psychological thriller, will be released as part of the Masters of Cinema Series in a Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition on 23 January.

Tommaso

#3681 Post by Tommaso » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:47 pm

lubitsch wrote: Yay for a Varieté with a new soundtrack, namely a Stephen Horne piano one. Masochists might want to listen to the Tiger Lillies who are added as a second option.
Masochists might also spend their money on the Caligari steelbook, in order to get that "From Caligari to Hitler" documentary by Rüdiger Suchsland, the guy who made that other so-called documentary that was already on the original release...

But great news about the Stephen Horne soundtrack indeed!

FrauBlucher

#3682 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:51 am

TMDaines wrote:Geez interest in MoC is all but dead. Couple of hours after their announcements and no discussion or reaction here.
I used to look forward to MoC announcements the way I look forward to Criterion announcements. Now, not so much. IMO MoC has fallen behind Arrow and BFI in terms of exciting releases.

rapta

#3683 Post by rapta » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:42 am

Just reading the news of a Scorsese season at BFI (including forthcoming Blu-ray releases of Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore and Who's That Knocking At My Door?) and they mentioned the 4K-restored The Age of Innocence is being shown. I wonder if Eureka have managed to get hold of it, or do we think Criterion got there first? Be interesting to see who gets hold of it over here.

RossyG

#3684 Post by RossyG » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:07 pm

It's always been Sony/Columbia so far in the U.K.

rapta

#3685 Post by rapta » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:13 pm

RossyG wrote:It's always been Sony/Columbia so far in the U.K.
Yes, and therefore could be potentially licensed by anyone with a Sony deal - at the moment that includes Criterion, Eureka and Indicator/Powerhouse. Have their been rumours about Criterion acquiring it? I wonder if they'd also release it in the UK or Eureka had already got dibs (presumably they didn't enter a Sony deal just to release mostly non-MoC titles). I guess I'll just have to be patient though!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3686 Post by Drucker » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:09 pm

MOC is on Twitter right now announcing new titles.

Charles Vidor's Cover Girl coming in February.
A Man For All Seasons as well.
From Eureka: Finding Forrester.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3688 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:18 pm

MOC and Indicator are really cornering the market on Twilight Time's backwash

Ribs

#3689 Post by Ribs » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:22 pm

Yup. I think I'm just totally done with TT at this point. There's no point for it anymore.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#3690 Post by cdnchris » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:26 pm

Right? I was actually thinking about picking up A Man For All Seasons during the sale (and missed it) but figured Indicator would release it, but this might be better. Though I assume it will be region locked. I'm region free but I still like getting titles that can play in region A players, and it appears Indicator's discs can so far.

Who has two thumbs and won't be even considering getting any Sony licensed titles from Twilight Time anymore?

TMDaines

#3691 Post by TMDaines » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:47 pm

Ribs wrote:Yup. I think I'm just totally done with TT at this point. There's no point for it anymore.
I thought it was going to be the future...

rapta

#3692 Post by rapta » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:25 pm

cdnchris wrote:Right? I was actually thinking about picking up A Man For All Seasons during the sale (and missed it) but figured Indicator would release it, but this might be better. Though I assume it will be region locked. I'm region free but I still like getting titles that can play in region A players, and it appears Indicator's discs can so far.

Who has two thumbs and won't be even considering getting any Sony licensed titles from Twilight Time anymore?
According to Indicator, all their Sony titles will be Region Free.

According to the DVD Beaver review of Roxanne, that release is Region B locked, so I assume all of their Sony titles will be the same. I find it a little strange they're doing so if Indicator apparently don't have to.

I wonder if they have slightly different arrangements with Sony? After all, Indicator was started by some ex-Sony UK people, so they may have a few perks over Eureka. Either that, or Eureka are just enforcing region locking for whatever reason...or perhaps they just had to do that for Roxanne specifically since it has already been released by Sony themselves in another territory.

hearthesilence

#3693 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:42 pm

Finding. F***ing. Forrester. Of all the Van Sant films they could've done, they picked the absolute ****tiest one.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3694 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:45 pm

Spoken like someone who hasn't seen Restless

hearthesilence

#3695 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Really, there's something worse? Does it make your eyes bleed when you watch it?

Werewolf by Night

#3696 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:14 pm

Finding Forrester is not THAT bad, it's just a bland rehash of Good Will Hunting. It was shot by Harris Savides, so it at least looks great.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3697 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:16 pm

Restless looks good too. Doesn't matter, is still horrible

The Narrator Returns

#3698 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:03 pm

I have a soft spot for Finding Forrester, which I at least find to be an engaging hangout movie in addition to predictable feel-good pablum. It's a good deal better than Restless or Sea of Trees or even Promised Land (and probably Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, when I work up the courage to watch it).

hearthesilence

#3699 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:28 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:I have a soft spot for Finding Forrester, which I at least find to be an engaging hangout movie in addition to predictable feel-good pablum. It's a good deal better than Restless or Sea of Trees or even Promised Land (and probably Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, when I work up the courage to watch it).
For a "master of cinema," he's sure made a lot of high profile garbage.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3700 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:44 pm

So did John Ford. It happens!