Captain America: Civil War (Anthony & Joseph Russo, 2016)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Trees

Captain America: Civil War (Anthony & Joseph Russo, 2016)

#1 Post by Trees » Fri May 06, 2016 3:31 am

Saw Captain America: Civil War. It's one of the better Marvel installments, if you go for this kind of popcorn entertainment. The action sequences were extremely well executed.... probably the best action scenes in this type of film. Spiderman was a lot of fun.

Luke M

Re: Comic Books on Film

#2 Post by Luke M » Sat May 07, 2016 10:02 am

Agreed. Civil War is a lot of fun and definitely top tier MCU. Nothing about the characters motivations feels forced, the storyline flows organically, and the action sequences are incredibly well staged.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#3 Post by cdnchris » Sat May 07, 2016 3:59 pm

Good to hear so far. Like others I'm getting tired of the superhero genre (long ago) but really like the Captain America films. Was weary of this one because it's slamming in all these other characters and I was fearing this would be just another Avengers type deal.

I really liked the elevator fight scene in the last one. Anything like that in this one?

captveg

#4 Post by captveg » Sat May 07, 2016 5:10 pm

The weight of this project would have crumbled in the hands of most filmmakers, but the Russo brothers impress with their nimble navigation of a dozen superheroes and their various motives and personalities. The action is delivered fast and furious when needed, and the emotional hook of the Captain America / Iron Man conflict is smartly dashed in just a little bit at a time until the ending. I'm not sure if it hits the highest highs of the middle act of The Avengers, and I feel the deeper cuts of Tony and Steve's characters in Iron Man 3 and The Winter Soldier are a bit more to my tastes; but for across the board, consistent greatness the film delivers. 9/10

Werewolf by Night

#5 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sat May 07, 2016 10:55 pm

cdnchris wrote:I really liked the elevator fight scene in the last one. Anything like that in this one?
There's a similar fight in a stairwell that's pretty good.

Not similar, but absolutely great, is the all-hero brawl that's teased in the trailers.