Quentin Tarantino

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Quentin Tarantino

#351 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:11 am

What was Cusack thinking?

carmilla mircalla

#352 Post by carmilla mircalla » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:08 am

Jack Phillips wrote:Not so complete. Where's the entry for T-Rex's "Jeepster" in the DeathProof section?
Terrible reference list. His last three movies alone are worth a separate article.

EricJ

#353 Post by EricJ » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:12 pm

movielocke wrote:To be fair, birdman is just the dresser with a bigger budget. I think he's right about the annual awards bait movies. So many are good or excellent but not lasting, I think.
Birdman wasn't "awards bait"--Selma, The Theory of Everything, yes, but Birdman was more in the same category as the reason Argo won:
Industry people will always vote for movies about the problems of the industry. (Producers voting for Picture thought Alan Arkin and John Goodman were the "stars" of Argo.)

As for Tarantino, in the documentary "Not Quite Hollywood" (a worthy rent about the history of Ozploitation), he tells the story of how he was trying to get Uma Thurman to play the coma scenes in Kill Bill with her eyes open--And when Uma complained that nobody sleeps in a coma with their eyes open, he responded, "But that's how they did it in 'Patrick'!"
That's what bugs me about Q, even more than the feet thing, the insistence on putting 70's Blaxploitation references into everything regardless of period, or the fact that any genre tribute he sets out to do will ultimately end up as a "Minority avenged!" story instead: He wants to know whether we've seen the same cool movies he's discovered, and...yes, Q. We HAVE.
I put him in the same category as Joe Dante and Peter Bogdanovich, for "Directors you would rather listen to talk about movies than watch them make their own."
Last edited by EricJ on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hearthesilence

#354 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Wonder if there is any truth to this since they aren't on the list?

Cold Bishop

#355 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:37 pm

To be fair, neither are Bruce Willis or Daniel Day-Lewis, although they both stumped hard for Vincent Vega.

Seems like an awfully optimistic list, with some unexpected possibilities (Denzel?).

Randall Maysin

#356 Post by Randall Maysin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:07 pm

Its funny to see that Rosanna Arquettes name doesn't appear at all on that list.

flyonthewall2983

#357 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:38 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:What was Cusack thinking?
Was probably too busy working with Woody Allen, right?

Still no excuse for turning down Walter White.

Raymond Marble

#358 Post by Raymond Marble » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:27 pm

EricJ wrote:As for Tarantino, in the documentary "Not Quite Hollywood" (a worthy rent about the history of Ozploitation), he tells the story of how he was trying to get Uma Thurman to play the coma scenes in Kill Bill with her eyes open--And when Uma complained that nobody sleeps in a coma with their eyes open, he responded, "But that's how they did it in 'Patrick'!"
That's what bugs me about Q, even more than the feet thing, the insistence on putting 70's Blaxploitation references into everything regardless of period, or the fact that any genre tribute he sets out to do will ultimately end up as a "Minority avenged!" story instead: He wants to know whether we've seen the same cool movies he's discovered, and...yes, Q. We HAVE.
Patrick isn't Blaxploitation. You're not making a very strong case that you've seen these cool movies he's discovered.

EricJ

#359 Post by EricJ » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:54 am

Raymond Marble wrote:
EricJ wrote:As for Tarantino, in the documentary "Not Quite Hollywood" (a worthy rent about the history of Ozploitation), he tells the story of how he was trying to get Uma Thurman to play the coma scenes in Kill Bill with her eyes open--And when Uma complained that nobody sleeps in a coma with their eyes open, he responded, "But that's how they did it in 'Patrick'!"
Patrick isn't Blaxploitation. You're not making a very strong case that you've seen these cool movies he's discovered.
Er, he quoted Patrick in a documentary on Oz-ploitation, a field he also has ex-video-clerk geekery-interest in. ("You know you're not in Australia until you're tormented by a sadistic biker gang!") Reading Is Fundamental.

My "Blaxploitation" reference was in re why the heck it turned up in 40's wartime in Inglorious Basterds, along with David Bowie's "Cat People" theme.
And I haven't seen Django, so I don't know how much they cleared the dance floor for him on that one.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#360 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:31 pm

EricJ wrote:
Raymond Marble wrote:Patrick isn't Blaxploitation. You're not making a very strong case that you've seen these cool movies he's discovered.
Er, he quoted Patrick in a documentary on Oz-ploitation, a field he also has ex-video-clerk geekery-interest in. ("You know you're not in Australia until you're tormented by a sadistic biker gang!") Reading Is Fundamental.

My "Blaxploitation" reference was in re why the heck it turned up in 40's wartime in Inglorious Basterds, along with David Bowie's "Cat People" theme.
And I haven't seen Django, so I don't know how much they cleared the dance floor for him on that one.
Don't do this, please. I just read through what you posted and it was not clear that you were changing the topic to another of Tarantino's perceived flaws. Take the opportunity to restate your position so that your message is clearer, which you've done, but don't take cheap potshots at other users for your own flaws.

knives

#361 Post by knives » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:46 am

EricJ wrote:
Raymond Marble wrote:

The original IB was a blaxsploitation film so any connection to that genre makes a lot of sense given the source material.

Alphonse Tram

#362 Post by Alphonse Tram » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:36 am

knives wrote:The original IB was a blaxsploitation film so any connection to that genre makes a lot of sense given the source material.
That's not strictly true. The original Inglorious Bastards was an Italian Dirty Dozen rip-off that happened to have Fred Williamson in it, echoing the the casting of Jim Brown in The Dirty Dozen. It really is a big stretch to call Inglorious Bastards a blaxploitation film, Fred Williamson was in lots of Italian exploitation films of the period, are we calling all of them Blaxploitation too?

knives

#363 Post by knives » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:04 pm

No, but IB is generally labeled in the genre given the shift in focus towards him. Anyways I don't even recall any references to blaxsploitation in Tarantino's film which was consistent on the Jew focus even with the one black character.

Mr Sausage

#364 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:27 am

knives wrote:No, but IB is generally labeled in the genre given the shift in focus towards him. Anyways I don't even recall any references to blaxsploitation in Tarantino's film which was consistent on the Jew focus even with the one black character.
Who is labeling it a blaxploitation movie exactly? You are the fist person I've ever heard make that claim.

knives

#365 Post by knives » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:23 am

The film was re-edited to cash in on the blaxploitation craze and was originally called GI Bro in America. A Source: http://www.avclub.com/article/emthe-ing ... dsem-32182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr Sausage

#366 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:02 am

knives wrote:The film was re-edited to cash in on the blaxploitation craze and was originally called GI Bro in America. A Source: http://www.avclub.com/article/emthe-ing ... dsem-32182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In all honesty, knives, do you think this makes it a blaxploitation film?

Zot!

#367 Post by Zot! » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:52 am

Perhaps my memory fails me, but what in QT's IB adheres strictly to blaxploitation themes that make it seem inappropriate to the film?

carmilla mircalla

#368 Post by carmilla mircalla » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:06 pm

This is ridiculous. The original IB never was and never will be a blaxploitation movie.

knives

#369 Post by knives » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:32 am

Mr Sausage wrote:
knives wrote:The film was re-edited to cash in on the blaxploitation craze and was originally called GI Bro in America. A Source: http://www.avclub.com/article/emthe-ing ... dsem-32182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Considering blaxploitation is primarily a marketing hook yes, but all of this is ignoring my point that Tarantino's IB doesn't have any out of place references to the genre. The reference to the original was merely a side support.

colinr0380

#370 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:59 am

I kind of agree with you both. I'm not sure the original Inglourious Bastards was a blaxsploitation film, but in its multi-racial gang of mercenaries breaking out of a military prison it is kind of in the tradition of that strange offshoot of women in prison films, stuff like the Pam Grier starring The Big Bird Cage or Savage Sisters (aka Ebony, Ivory and Jade)

But of course we should not underestimate the influence that The Dirty Dozen (maybe mixed with a little of The Great Escape and The Guns of Navarone!) had over the original Inglourious Bastards as well. A mash up of all that is probably where the structure came from.

Mr Sausage

Quentin Tarantino

#371 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:36 pm

knives wrote:
Mr Sausage wrote:
Considering blaxploitation is primarily a marketing hook yes, but all of this is ignoring my point that Tarantino's IB doesn't have any out of place references to the genre. The reference to the original was merely a side support.
Your reasoning is incoherent. You also seem oblivious to something: that the American company was plainly trying to fool people into thinking they were watching a blaxploitation movie. That alone would mean it's not blaxploitation--otherwise no changes would've been necessary.

Inglorious Bastards is not generally thought of as a blaxploitation movie.

flyonthewall2983

#372 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:23 am

QT said some asinine things on Bret Easton Ellis' podcast. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and chalk that up to being infected by BEE's inherent douchiness.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#373 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:34 am

Man, I haven't read the Playlist in a couple years but they've really gotten whiny and defensive, haven't they? Way more cringe-inducing than the actual QT comments

flyonthewall2983

#374 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:53 am

I kind of speed-read their articles. Quite apparent here, because it wasn't for the podcast but The New York Times.

Raymond Marble

#375 Post by Raymond Marble » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:52 am

On Christmas Day at The New Beverly in L.A. they're screening Tarantino's own 35mm print of Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair. How often has that even screened, anyway? I saw Kill Bill Integrale at Cannes 2004, but it's my understanding that Whole Bloody is slightly different from that. (Note that Wikipedia's entry on Kill Bill seems to be fairly confused on this issue.)