1025 The Grand Budapest Hotel

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson, 2014)

#126 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:42 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:First off let me say that I know I'm a spoiled NYer. We are fortunate to have all these options of films and where to see them.

And that is what I'm referring to. Not marketing or the business side of it. It is strictly selfishly my own interests of wanting to go to a theater that is shared with other folks that have the same taste in films, and not go to a Cineplex that shows 8 to12 movies and you're herded around long lines. Those in NY know what I'm talking about. Especially those that have been to the Union Square Stadium theater.
You're going to see The Grand Budapest Hotel, not Lone Survivor. The auditorium will be sure to be filled with other nervous hipsters hoping their viewing experience won't be ruined by the mainstream public. Again, you'll be fine.

knives

#127 Post by knives » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:49 pm

I find nervous hipsters to actually be much ruder viewers than the mainstream public.

Black Hat

#128 Post by Black Hat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:56 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Those in NY know what I'm talking about. Especially those that have been to the Union Square Stadium theater.
The New York update to Wild Strawberries is called Wild Delivery Dude and I hear that theater is the locale for one of the nightmare sequences.
FrauBlucher wrote:I made the mistake of calling the Angelika and Sunshine Art House theaters. They are not.
Definitely not. I'll say this tho, Lincoln Square isn't that bad, certainly manageable if you're smart about it.

FrauBlucher

#129 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:52 pm

knives wrote:I find nervous hipsters to actually be much ruder viewers than the mainstream public.
I'm too old to be a hipster. And nervous, definitely not. :wink:

Movie-Brat

#130 Post by Movie-Brat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:53 pm

My local theater is an AMC. Thankfully they're able to show films like Inside Llewyn Davis so no doubt they'll show The Grand Budapest Hotel. My only worry when I go to the theater is that some jackass will ruin the experience or bring their baby who won't stop crying.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#131 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:55 pm

NYers are already going to have to go to AMC on the 14th for Veronica Mars, another movie won't kill ya

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#132 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:40 pm

Movie-Brat wrote:My local theater is an AMC. Thankfully they're able to show films like Inside Llewyn Davis so no doubt they'll show The Grand Budapest Hotel. My only worry when I go to the theater is that some jackass will ruin the experience or bring their baby who won't stop crying.
Do you have friends with young kids? Volunteer to baby-sit -- so they can see a movie (or whatever). Paying for a baby-sitter is so expensive that one can never manage to get to movies (unless one is independently wealthy -- which we definitely weren't).

Movie-Brat

#133 Post by Movie-Brat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:57 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Do you have friends with young kids? Volunteer to baby-sit -- so they can see a movie (or whatever). Paying for a baby-sitter is so expensive that one can never manage to get to movies (unless one is independently wealthy -- which we definitely weren't).
Then my suggestion to them is not take a baby to the movies. And quite frankly, why bring a baby to something like a Wes Anderson movie? I even know a mother who basically knows not to take a baby to the movie theater if it's not even G-Rated.

Cold Bishop

#134 Post by Cold Bishop » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:32 am

I, on the other hand, will be watching it a week later in a large independent theater with great pizza and beer. FACE!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#135 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:06 pm

Movie-Brat wrote:Then my suggestion to them is not take a baby to the movies. And quite frankly, why bring a baby to something like a Wes Anderson movie? I even know a mother who basically knows not to take a baby to the movie theater if it's not even G-Rated.
You missed my point. You'd be doing your friends a wonderful favor to allow them to go to a movie sans kid -- once in a while.

WE didn't go to movies for 10 or so years -- until our kids were all old enough to understand how to behave. It would, however, have been nice to be able to go -- once a year or so -- during that long period.
Last edited by Michael Kerpan on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Movie-Brat

#136 Post by Movie-Brat » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:10 pm

As much as I'd help out my friends, I don't want to miss a movie myself. Sorry but I'm not qualified to be a babysitter.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#137 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:32 pm

This is a fascinating babysitting discussion.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#138 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:33 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:This is a fascinating babysitting discussion.
:oops:

FrauBlucher

#142 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:47 pm

lady wakasa

#143 Post by lady wakasa » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:33 pm

I haven't felt - haven't had the chance to feel - this intrigued by a movie in quite a while. I may have to grab a friend and go find it next weekend. And I'm not even a big Wes Anderson person.

BTW, there's something called a "Courtisane au Chocolat" featured in the movie (I know a little bit about it but not much). It's not real, more a part of the film universe, but French pastry chef Philippe Conticini created a real-world incarnation (also had an online contest to guess what movie it was for).

Contini's Facebook page
Premiere Photos

It's his most Wes Anderson pastry yet.

Looks like he served it before the premiere last week, but this is getting beyond my long-dormant French abilities.

Actually, if this recipe ends up on the to-be-imagined DVD/Blu-Ray, I probably would try it out once or twice.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#144 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:55 pm

Saw the trailer at the theater tonight -- looks like fun.

Roger Ryan

#145 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:07 am

A New York Times article on the film which goes into a bit more info on that feature-length "animatic" that Anderson created (I wonder if this would be included as a Blu-ray/DVD extra at some point?).

What A Disgrace

#146 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:02 pm

It'd be funny if the 2nd feature-length animation in the Criterion Collection was also by Wes Anderson.

Finch

#147 Post by Finch » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:53 am

Interview with Tony Revolori who more than holds his own in this amazing cast. I saw the film in a preview on Sunday and, to me, it is the best film Anderson has made yet. Absolutely sensational. I left the cinema with a big grin on my face.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#148 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:05 am

I keep thinking there's no way anything he'll make can top Moonrise Kingdom and then I remember that I went into Moonrise Kingdom thinking he'd long ago peaked, so I remain cautiously excited!

FrauBlucher

#149 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:22 pm

Somebody want to take the poster and slap a juicy little C in the upper corner just to wet my whistle? [-o< :wink: \:D/