100 Beastie Boys Video Anthology

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
roderigo

Re: 100 Beastie Boys Video Anthology

#26 Post by roderigo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:20 am

skuhn8 wrote:Just opened mine (purchased from marketplace seller a week ago) and see that there's no poster.

Anyone else get strange language options? Serbian, Kannada, etc. ? Only labels appear skewed, but the actual tracks are correct (remixes, etc.).

you got a bootleg...

flyonthewall2983

#27 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Not that I'd really care (not a fan), but what chance is there for a Blu?

giovannii84

#28 Post by giovannii84 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:11 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Not that I'd really care (not a fan), but what chance is there for a Blu?
An upgrade with extra Beastie Boys videos not included on the original release would be nice.

bdsweeney

#29 Post by bdsweeney » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:49 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Not that I'd really care (not a fan), but what chance is there for a Blu?
Considering the clips were filmed on non-HD video (I'm assuming ... I mean the majority come from the 1980s-90s), what would be the point?

Having said that, an upgrade in audio would certainly have a point.

manicsounds

#30 Post by manicsounds » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:55 pm

But lots of the music videos were originally shot on film. But if they were edited on video as opposed to edited from the original film elements, then it would be a problem.

Moe Dickstein

#31 Post by Moe Dickstein » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:09 am

CC have released discs of SD films on Blu already. This is a moot point.

med

#32 Post by med » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:27 am

manicsounds wrote:But lots of the music videos were originally shot on film.
To add to this, I believe "Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun" is the only one in the set that was shot on video.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#33 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:14 pm

I saw a 35mm print of Shadrach a year ago which was longer than the one on the DVD by about two minutes, so at least that exists on film.

adavis53

#34 Post by adavis53 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:25 pm

I would kill for a reissue including more of their videos, especially Jonze's one for Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win

giovannii84

#35 Post by giovannii84 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:31 pm

adavis53 wrote:I would kill for a reissue including more of their videos, especially Jonze's one for Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win
I stil can't believe "Fight for Your Right" wasn't included on the initial release.

"Fight for Your Right Revisited" short film could be added as an extra to the reissue.

zedz

#36 Post by zedz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:18 pm

All this speculation about a Criterion reissue / upgrade of this title seems a little far-fetched to me. Wouldn't Oscillosope be the logical home for such a project?

Oldskoolsi

#37 Post by Oldskoolsi » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:38 am

I've had the Anthology since the B&N sale last November and never got round to watching it. Half way through now and it's one of the most interesting in the collection. However has anyone else noticed that the live version of Gratitiude doesn't work. You just get the original video and sound. Also the commentary for the live vid is just silence. Is it a joke i don't get?

Mr Sausage

Beastie Boys Video Anthology

#38 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:51 am

DISCUSSION ENDS MONDAY, October 14th.

Members have a two week period in which to discuss the film before it's moved to its dedicated thread in The Criterion Collection subforum. Please read the Rules and Procedures.

This thread is not spoiler free. This is a discussion thread; you should expect plot points of the individual films under discussion to be discussed openly. See: spoiler rules.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

I encourage members to submit questions, either those designed to elicit discussion and point out interesting things to keep an eye on, or just something you want answered. This will be extremely helpful in getting discussion started. Starting is always the hardest part, all the more so if it's unguided. Questions can be submitted to me via PM.

colinr0380

Re: Beastie Boys Video Anthology

#39 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:05 pm

I particularly love the menus on this set, wonderful funky beats playing out on multiple fluorescent flickering screens whilst spinning around blueprints of a geodesic-style dome! Whilst the kaiju fighting intercut with the Beastie Boys vogueing their way through packed train stations is great in the official video, this has actually reminded me that my favourite music video of the whole set has to the alternate remix and angle of the Intergalactic track: it is a bit fiddly but select the 'platform' angle and the Prisoners of Technology remix for some ambience over arriving and departing Japanese commuter trains all filmed at different speeds! That combination works incredibly well!

I know that people really like the Spike Jonze video for Sabotage a lot, but its a bit too shouty for me and I'm pretty over the aesthetic now that we've had lots of 70s cop show style comic antics from the Starsky & Hutch remake to The Nice Guys since then (it appears that the first to capitalise on the post-Sabotage resurgence of interest in cheesy 70s cops was that Australian series Funky Squad!)

Out of the videos on the set I particularly like:

- the stock footaged Something's Got To Give, probably because I am already partial to that method with the wonderful (mostly NASA) stock footage transformed into music videos series The Trip (someone really needs to clear the rights and get The Trip out on disc somewhere!).
- Looking Down The Barrel of a Gun, with its fish-eye lens look is pretty iconic
- The Fatboy Slim remix of Body Movin' does a great homage to Mario Bava's Danger: Diabolik! (I'm pretty certain to be voting for this during the music video list project)
- The transformation of concert footage into free flowing art in the Shadrach video is really great at conveying a sense of energy and flow
- And at the opposite end Three MCs and One DJ is stripped back to just the performance.

Of course there are a couple of big videos missing from the set, in particular (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party), directed by Ric Menello, later screenwriter of a couple of James Gray films, Two Lovers and The Immigrant! The video that made a generation of parents upset at these uncouth youths throwing custard pies about the place and endorsing pre-marital sex! The other missing big one is No Sleep Till Brooklyn. I wonder if there was a difficulty clearing the rights for those at the time, or maybe the set was wanting to ignore them to focus on different aspects of the band? Or maybe there was (or is?) a volume 2 planned. Perhaps the idea fell through after Ralph Spaulding disappeared after the 'unpleasantness' occurred from asking too many of the wrong people questions about what they were wearing over the telephone!

flyonthewall2983

#40 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:45 pm

Any chance of a Blu-ray/re-pressing for this?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#41 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:47 pm

I think most of these are shot on video, so an upgrade wouldn't help much. That said, when Adam Yauch passed away, I went to a screening of rare Beastie Boys material from television and the one thing shown on film was a 35mm director's cut of their Shadrach video done at Klasky Csupo. Unlike the version online and on this DVD, it had opening titles, ending credits and a small opening before the proper video started. I believe this version was submitted to animation festivals at the time and the print was personally owned by the director of the video.

movielocke

#42 Post by movielocke » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:02 pm

Even stuff shot in video could visually benefit from an hd ingest, NLE assembly and a grading pass. You’d be surprised how much resolution was lost by the analog tape to tape processes some of these were edited on. See for example, Hoop Dreams.

But sadly even if the video camera originals survive intact (unlikely) there is a devastatingly high likelihood that they won’t even be playable because the physical media has deteriorated with age. Particularly true for the originals from the consumer cameras they used for some videos.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#43 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:44 am

A lot of Beastie Boys videos have already been "remastered in HD" for the official YouTube channel, but my guess is that this just involved the process discussed by movielocke (a new master from tape sources) rather than true HD upgrades. But music videos in the budget range the Beastie Boys could draw on were usually shot on film; the videos for Licensed to Ill show a progression from video ("Hold It Now, Hit It") to 16mm ("Fight for Your Right") to 35mm ("No Sleep Till Brooklyn") as the group blew up and the label supplied increasingly larger budgets. "Sabotage" was shot on the same 16mm Canon Scoopic and Arri SR 2 cameras Jonze used for most of his early music videos. There are some videos on this set that are obviously video, like "Three MC's and One DJ," but I'd be willing to bet most were shot on film. The problem is that they would've almost certainly been edited and mastered to SD video, so the original film elements may not have been preserved. Even if they were, the expense and effort required to rescan them in HD might not be considered commercially viable.

aox

#45 Post by aox » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:01 am

Excellent Sunday morning viewing. Thanks