Vinegar Syndrome et al.

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
htshell

Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#1 Post by htshell » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:23 am

http://www.vinsyn.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/vinsyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vinegar Syndrome is an exploitation film focused distribution company. A subsidiary of the film restoration lab Process Blue, VS was developed to cost-effectively restore and release the massive number of exploitation titles in our archive.

=======

First release is a dual format of The Lost Films of Herschell Gordon Lewis.

‘The Lost Films of H.G. Lewis’ three previously thought lost sexploitation features from the acclaimed master of exploitation cinema. All three films have been restored in 2K from their original camera negatives and are being released on home video for the first time anywhere in the world!

LINDA AND ABILENE combines the savagery of a classic Hollywood western with sequences of intense eroticism.
1969 / Color / 92 minutes / 1.37:1

ECSTASIES OF WOMEN is a torrid comedy/drama set in the swinging world of late 60′s Los Angeles.
1969 / Color / 74 minutes / 1.37:1

BLACK LOVE exposes the lovemaking habits of the contemporary black couple through a series of amusing and creative vignettes.
1971 / Color / 74 minutes / 1.37:1

Features Include:
+ Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Pack | Region Free | 1.37:1 AR | MONO
+ Original theatrical trailers for each film
+ Special edition lab cards for each film
+ Extensive historical liner notes by Casey Scott

Matt

Re: Vinegar Syndrome

#2 Post by Matt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 am

I just got this in the mail today (I contributed to the Kickstarter). Haven't even had a chance to peel off the shrinkwrap, but maybe I'll file a report tomorrow morning.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:41 am

That's a great cover

knives

#4 Post by knives » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:01 am

That's sounds amazing and I'm glad somebody is working hard at such obscure niches. I'll definitely pick it up next paycheck.

TMDaines

#5 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:25 am

Matt wrote:I just got this in the mail today (I contributed to the Kickstarter). Haven't even had a chance to peel off the shrinkwrap, but maybe I'll file a report tomorrow morning.
Labels really haven't made enough use of Kickstarter to get more financially-difficult titles out there.

zedz

#6 Post by zedz » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:54 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Matt wrote:I just got this in the mail today (I contributed to the Kickstarter). Haven't even had a chance to peel off the shrinkwrap, but maybe I'll file a report tomorrow morning.
Labels really haven't made enough use of Kickstarter to get more financially-difficult titles out there.
I agree, but I think this may be a ducks-in-a-row problem, since it would presumably only apply in the unusual situation of a label having rights secured but not acceptable elements. It's a much more understandable model when it's the rightsholder behind the wheel.

Matt

#7 Post by Matt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:15 pm

Anyone interested in these films shouldn't hesitate to buy the set, especially at the under-$25 price they've set. The transfers look great, lots of fine original grain, a light touch on the noise reduction and dust removal. The soundtracks are almost entirely wild sound and so have all the limitations and flaws you'd expect. I'm pleased they didn't try to tone down hiss and pops, muffling the overall sound. There are no on-disc extras other than the trailers, and the booklet essay is about 7.5 pages long. The first two films are your typical sexploitation film: lots of talking broken up by the occasional naked rolling around in bed and moaning. The final film is a hardcore film amusingly disguised as a sex ed film.

Perkins Cobb

#8 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:45 am

Just a heads-up that this outfit has been really busy over the last six months, with DVD releases of a lot of regional exploitation flicks I'd never heard of, and Blu-rays of higher-profile indies -- first The Telephone Book and now a pre-order for Marvin Chomsky's Good Luck, Miss Wyckoff. Definitely worth another look at their website.

Emak-Bakia

#9 Post by Emak-Bakia » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:56 am

Vinegar Syndrome posted on their Facebook page that $20 backers for this Kickstarter project will get a copy of their out-of-print before it was even released (due to legal issues) Death By Invitation/Savage Water DVD. This disc consistently sells for two or three times that, so it’s a good deal, if you’re interested. Plus, you get to support a low-budget film, which is always good for some warm, fuzzy feelings. There are only 18 copies left right now, though, so act quickly.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Savage Water's legal rights initially hit a snag but have been wrangled and Vinegar Syndrome is working with the filmmaker to create a definitive restoration/presentation, so if you don't want to donate just wait for the forthcoming edition (Death by Invitation is still available, paired with a different film)

Emak-Bakia

#11 Post by Emak-Bakia » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks for the information. I knew that the filmmaker was working on a restoration of Savage Water, but I thought I had read somewhere back when the disc was supposed to be released that he was putting it out via an outlet other than Vinegar Syndrome. Or maybe I made that up. In any case, it's good to hear that the two parties have come to an agreement.

I still think backers are getting a great value for $20: the Savage Water DVD, a screener copy of The Night Before Easter, and "thanks" in the credits. The write-up for the Kickstarter project sounds sincere enough to make me want to watch the finished film. If anyone's thinking about donating, though, don't let the sub-par video at the top of the page deter you: "The (rather rudimentary) image/video file you see at the top is merely a placeholder made in less than five minutes in order to satisfy the people at Kickstarter."

And now this post has become more about this particular Kickstarter project than Vinegar Syndrome. I think maybe there should be a separate thread for interesting, film-related Kickstarter projects. Hmmmm....

What A Disgrace

#12 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:16 am

The Telephone Book looks great. This'll be my first non-BFI blind-buy of the year.

L.A.

#14 Post by L.A. » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:37 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:14 pm

VS is launching a streaming service for "classic erotica," Skinaflix. Pre-launch invite to the site here

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:45 pm

50% off everything sale starting tomorrow through the weekend

L.A.

#17 Post by L.A. » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:53 pm

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#18 Post by jindianajonz » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:55 pm

So, any Vinegar Syndrome titles considered "must buys"?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:02 pm

A Labor of Love, definitely

cafeman

#20 Post by cafeman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:56 am

everything i want is out of stock.

L.A.

#21 Post by L.A. » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Fanny Hill / The Phantom Gunslinger @ Mondo Digital

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Illest Black Friday props go to Vinegar Syndrome for dropping $11.30 for 2-Day Priority Shipping for my free shipping and throwing in a vintage horror movie poster to boot

AlexHansen

#23 Post by AlexHansen » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:12 pm

Some VS titles have been popping up on Fandor lately, for those who want to do a little sampling.

justeleblanc

#24 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:20 pm

jindianajonz wrote:So, any Vinegar Syndrome titles considered "must buys"?
I'm a big fan of Night Train to Terror. It's basically a compression of three ridiculous horror films inside a frame story that was written by the author of Johnny Guitar and El Cid. Very entertaining, as far as z-grade horror films go.

antnield

#25 Post by antnield » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:02 pm