Dot Com Dom

Re: Friday Night Lights

#76 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:48 pm

God I hate Lorrie Moore

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#77 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:28 am

The essential goodness of the boys is never in doubt (though the wobbly first season foolishly makes a villain out of a young Katrina refugee).
lolz

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#78 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:55 pm

How the hell it got beat by Mad Men's sole win in Best Drama is a head-scratcher, but at least Kyle Chandler and Jason Katims walked away with Best Actor and Best Writing Drama Emmys \:D/

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#79 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:15 pm

Well deserved, though it's pretty easy to see why Mad Men won if you watch Mad Men

Just glad to see something good came out of Breaking Bad's ineligibility this year.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#80 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:18 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Well deserved, though it's pretty easy to see why Mad Men won if you watch Mad Men
Speaking strictly from an "It didn't win in any other major category" perspective

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#81 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:19 pm

Gotcha. You're right, in that there was definitely a standout episode this season in a show that is usually more consistent that was definitely Hamm and Moss' submission, and probably the direction and writing submission too (too lazy to check)

Professor Wagstaff

#82 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:44 pm

Kyle Chandler vs. Jon Hamm was like my Sophie's Choice for the Emmys this year, especially with Cranston out of the mix. Started jumping up and down when Coach Eric Taylor nabbed it!

willoneill

#83 Post by willoneill » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:11 am

After Katims and Chandler won I was hoping that FNL could pull off the sentimental win, but alas .... maybe it's just me, but it seemed like in every category it was nominated in, FNL got the most applause and cheering when its nomination was read aloud.

Jane Lynch's opening song and dance number was a little weird, however, if only because it had Zach Gilford in what looked like an East Dillon Lions uniform.

Andre Jurieu

Re: TV of 2011

#84 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:16 pm

dad1153 wrote:Nice to see Kyle Chandler win an Emmy for the role of a lifetime in "Friday Night Lights" on the last year of eligibility...
I agree, though it's a shame that Connie Britton will never have a chance to be recognized for her work on the show. While Chandler's performance as Coach Taylor was somehow simultaneously understated and rousing, Britton was easily the most consistent presence/performance on the show and delivered some of the most stirring scenes. Britton was a master at subtly revealing the history of her character without ever having it spelled out in the plot via the "big-emotional-scenes" that are so common in TV today. Instead, we were able to learn just how much heartbreak she had experienced over the years, usually while she was attempting to help someone else struggle through difficult decisions, and it became obvious she had suffered mostly in silence, with the weight of her choices and actions helping to shape the confident personality everyone around her seemingly assumed she possessed throughout her life. Her discussion with Julie about becoming sexually-active at an early age managed to convey motherly advice, while revealing so many emotional scars, and should have easily garnered her some more acclaim.

I'm also still amazed/shocked/quite bitter (at least, as much as I can muster nowadays for these things) that Zach Gillford never received much industry recognition for his performance in "The Son" episode, which felt like a culmination of a character-arc that was years in the making and might have contained the most satisfying scene of television that I've ever watched. In future years, I'm sure I'll have a similar feeling about Elizabeth Moss in "The Suitcase" episode of Mad Men.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#85 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:50 am

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#86 Post by Brian C » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:26 pm

When did the Simpson household manage to upgrade to an HDTV? It's really been awhile since I watched that show.

knives

#87 Post by knives » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:46 pm

The point of them being poor seems to have escaped the show. Certainly not the same family that had to steal basic cable.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#88 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:50 pm

Lots of poor people have HDTVs. I'm more distressed that Lisa hasn't aged since the '90s but that the world around her apparently has.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#89 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:19 pm

knives wrote:The point of them being poor seems to have escaped the show. Certainly not the same family that had to steal basic cable.
Or had $200 in an air conditioner savings fund. Now their 8 year old daughter is buying $100 in DVDs for their HDTV. Oh, modern day Simpsons!

Professor Wagstaff

#90 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Another cultural reference to suggest that the current Simpsons writing staff has a lot in common with me except for their total inability to understand The Simpsons.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#91 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Professor Wagstaff wrote:Another cultural reference to suggest that the current Simpsons writing staff has a lot in common with me except for their total inability to understand The Simpsons.
+1
Promote

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#93 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm torn. On one hand, I'm glad that dream projects with fervent fanbases are getting made (Serenity was certainly the exception, not the rule - and maybe this means hope for a Party Down epilogue), but on the other hand, it certainly does seem to be a slippery slope when incredibly wealthy people are asking for regular folks to chip in for largely unnecessary film postscripts to television shows that had perfectly reasonable runs. Guys who deserve to have Kickstarters to wrap up their shows (where's the Enlightened one? Carnivale?) are too classy to join these ranks even though the projects deserve some resolution.

Murdoch

#94 Post by Murdoch » Thu May 16, 2013 6:22 pm

My desire to see an FNL movie balances out whatever queasiness I get from millionaires using it to exploit a show's fans.

Andre Jurieu

#95 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 pm

I get the sense these campaigns are now just being used within the industry to demonstrate that there is a loyal fan-base to market the movie towards. I'm not even sure these projects generate enough cash to actually make any real difference to these major production companies in terms of actually funding the project.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#96 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:03 pm

Andre Jurieu

#97 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:50 pm

Apparently the missing cast members were participating in a marathon.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#98 Post by swo17 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:33 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#99 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 pm

I was hoping this would happen when I heard Mill Creek got the rights!