9 / BD 90 Spione

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
tryavna

#26 Post by tryavna » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:48 am

I didn't experience exactly what you describe, but there were a few instances where the subs really raced by and I had to go back and pause in order to read them completely. Sounds like you might have defective disc. Have you tried it on a different player?

Le Samouraï

#27 Post by Le Samouraï » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:33 pm

Yes. Same thing. However it plays perfectly on my iBook.

blindside8zao

#28 Post by blindside8zao » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:24 pm

I'm actually having problems with the subtitles too, but a different sort. The subtitles are often off the screen and not readable, as if my tv were clipping the image. I've played the Eureka Blue Angel, Faust, and Kuronenko discs on the same set up and not had problems. I'm not so familiar with all the tech aspects of region cracking my american player and didn't know if it was messing with things. I was actually very dissappointed as this film was so damned crisp looking as I watched the first 5 minutes.

I just downloaded a DVD X player or something for the PC and it shows all the subtitles moved further up the screen, however, whenever they come up it slows the software down noticeably like the program is having trouble processing them.

No ideas from anyone? I'm dying to watch this movie but I don't want to buy a new DVD player to see it.

chollyp

#29 Post by chollyp » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:59 am

I just got Spione in the mail yesterday and haven't had the change to watch the whole thing...but I did do some chapter hopping.

First comment: I think it looks fantastic! Woo Hoo!!! Can't wait to see the whole shootin' match.

Second comment: I am having the same subtitle issues as blindside8zao above. Like the subtitles are "moved" down and off the screen with only the first sentence visible...and sometimes even only partly visible. I am watching it on a Pioneer 16x9 SD 25--something or other--and the issue happens in all modes 4:3, Natural Wide, Cinema Wide, Zoom, and Full. I only have one PAL-->NTSC player (Sampo) so I can't really check it on another.

Since this hasn't been reported by many on this board, I assume that it may have something to do with the player and the disc not playing together nicely. I just have never had this happen on a DVD before except on some early Criterions where the subtitles were a tad too low. The MoC Nosferatu English subs are all in the right place.

Mr. Wrigley, have you heard any reports of this issue with Spione and do you have any suggestions other than buy a new DVD player? :)

Gracias.

htdm

#30 Post by htdm » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:36 am

Happens on my PC and all 4 of my region-free players, too.

blindside8zao

#31 Post by blindside8zao » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:22 pm

I pmed peerpee and he said he thought it had something to do with a program (or maybe it was a company) they used (that did) their subtitles. He said on some non-region 2 players it would do that. He also suggested avoiding Asphalt as the same company/program was used. I went ahead and got it when it was dirt cheap on MOC and it indeed does the same thing on my player. I'm probably just going to borrow one of my friend's DVD players. My player is an Entiveo Slimline for what it's worth.

Peerpee said these were the only two releases that should cause that error.

chollyp

#32 Post by chollyp » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:47 pm

Thanks for the information. I need to pick up a new player anyway so at least I will know two brands to avoid.

Danny Burk

#33 Post by Danny Burk » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:34 am

Same thing happened to me with ASPHALT when my RF player was a cheapie Daewoo. This was actually a good thing, in that it triggered me to buy an Oppo. Much better in every way (including image quality), and it plays all subtitles perfectly.

jt

#34 Post by jt » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:22 am

I have no problems with this or Asphalt on my multi-region Marantz player.

wowser

#35 Post by wowser » Wed May 28, 2008 7:31 pm

I saw this the other day when a friend brought it over. A great film with all those brilliant Langian visual touches. However, I did find the new score a little distracting at times. It's very MIDI, and while it works well a lot of the time (the Japanese-theme, for instance), I did find it slightly unsettling. I am surprised nobody else has mentioned this.

By the way, what is Fritz Lang's obsession with telegraph wires? Splendid stuff. :D

colinr0380

#36 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:06 pm

wowser wrote:By the way, what is Fritz Lang's obsession with telegraph wires?
I guess Lang's use of telephone wires in M is to juxtapose the child's murder, with the balloon flying up into the wires, with the means of disseminating the news of her death and the way the film is a critique of communication (and miscommunication) of information. With Spies I'm guessing the focus is on the idea of no technological communication being private, always able to be intercepted and listened in on. So the telegraph wires could stand for the physical manifestation of these concepts as well as just being, well, just your actual telegraph wires! (Have not yet seen how they are used in Western Union :wink: )

wowser

#37 Post by wowser » Wed May 28, 2008 8:38 pm

Thanks, Colin. They're also in Dr Mabuse! I just ordered his Indian Epic box set: I wonder if there are any pylons in with the tigers :wink:

tryavna

#38 Post by tryavna » Thu May 29, 2008 4:57 pm

colinr0380 wrote:(Have not yet seen how they are used in Western Union :wink: )
They reach their apotheosis there, since the whole damn plot revolves around setting up the telegraph system (i.e., a system of communication).

HerrSchreck

#39 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu May 29, 2008 5:57 pm

As a German silent film loon, I can say that the first time I saw this conceit used (it's a shot used again and again... even France's Jean Epstein in the phantasmagorical La Glace a trois faces couldn't resist it) is in 1921's Scherben (Shattered) by Lupu Pick. As Krauss' railroad signalman is sitting down eating dinner with his family, a teletype machine receiving a message which nudges the film into it's key narrative turn, is preceded by an identical shot of the wires, strung across a bleak sky.. Pick/Mayer even go so far as to hand-paint over the wires with white electrical zaps.. indicating the electronic message being transmitted as we stare at the seemingly motionless wires.

This is a year before Lang's Mabuse der Spieler.

wowser

#40 Post by wowser » Fri May 30, 2008 9:29 am

I also like the proto email system used in Spiones, rather like the proto video messaging device in Metropolis.

HerrSchreck

#41 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri May 30, 2008 2:32 pm

You should see Feulliades Judex from 1917.. and before that you should see Traffic In Souls from 1913, which features a screen on one end... on the other end on another floor in the building a guy has a screen connected by cable, on which he writes with a "special pen". The first guy can see in realtime the letters the other guy is writing appear on his screen.

I love that sort of prophetic stuff in silents.

wowser

#42 Post by wowser » Sat May 31, 2008 4:23 am

It all seems so magical in those early films, unlike the dull technologies we actually ended up with.

Yojimbo

#43 Post by Yojimbo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:19 am

My first 'Masters of Cinema', which I bought shortly after its release and a most unexpected delight.
I've no doubt Alfred Hitchcock was a huge fan, also.

broadwayrock

#44 Post by broadwayrock » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:34 am

Yojimbo wrote:My first 'Masters of Cinema', which I bought shortly after its release and a most unexpected delight.
Didn't he shoot a very similar rising side view of some stairs in Blackmail?

Yojimbo

#45 Post by Yojimbo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:51 am

broadwayrock wrote:
Yojimbo wrote:My first 'Masters of Cinema', which I bought shortly after its release and a most unexpected delight.
Didn't he shoot a very similar rising side view of some stairs in Blackmail?
I recall noticing similarities with various Hitch stairs shots and also train scenes as I was watching 'Spionen'

jamie_summers

Re: 9 Spione

#46 Post by jamie_summers » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:28 pm

Very enjoyable disc and as per usual with MOC lovingly produced, but I also have to say the score really does the film no favours. I can't honestly judge how good the actual music is because the horrific production is so artificial and unpleasant; clearly entirely midi, that i'll have to turn it off on future viewings. i'm also not sure i like the score adding sound effects to the film as such, that repeated beeping sound at points and elsewhere a smashing noise...doesn't seem quite right to me. but anyway, still a very worthwhile release!

peerpee
not perpee

#47 Post by peerpee » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:00 pm

Now viewable in the UK & Eire at The Auteurs: http://www.theauteurs.com/films/2462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bürgermeister

#48 Post by Bürgermeister » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Whats happening with this?

I read somewhere months ago it's getting reprinted but no sign of it yet. :-s :-s

EddieLarkin

#49 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:35 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... c189d3121d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back in print and available at MovieMail:

http://www.moviemail.com/film/dvd/Spion ... of-Cinema/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazon, and hopefully Eureka's Offers page will presumably follow soon

rockysds

#50 Post by rockysds » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:21 am

A Dual Format edition forthcoming.