Godard on DVD and Blu-ray

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Oedipax

Re: Godard on DVD

#376 Post by Oedipax » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:14 pm

This release seems to have slipped by our notice - Intermedio, the company that put out a Spanish-friendly release of JLG's Dziga Vertov Group films a while back, has released a new box set focusing (with one exception) on post-Vertov essay films:

La Gai Savoir
Soft and Hard
Numéro Deux
Scénario du film 'Passion'
Comment ça va?
JLG/JLG
Lettre à Freddy Buache
Meetin' W.A.

It also includes the impressive sounding Jean-Luc Godard: Thinking between images. Conversations, interviews, presentations and other fragments, edited by Núria Aidelman and Gonzalo de Lucas, totaling 512 pages! I'm guessing this will also be a Spanish-language volume.

If it's the same as the previous set, the transfers can be expected to be excellent. The downside is there are only Spanish subtitles (but this can be, shall we say, 'remedied').

stereo

#377 Post by stereo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:34 pm

Does anyone know how to order this box set from the Spanish site into the U.S. since it requires NIF/CIF numbers? Or is there another site that doesn't require these?

AlexHansen

#378 Post by AlexHansen » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:56 pm

I got it from fnac without any problems. Shipping's spendy but speedy.

Oedipax

#379 Post by Oedipax » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:05 pm

AlexHansen wrote:I got it from fnac without any problems. Shipping's spendy but speedy.
Did you receive it yet? And if so - can you confirm the subtitles aren't burned in? And that the transfers are good?

stereo

#380 Post by stereo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:08 pm

Hmmm; I just tried from the FNAC link and can't find an U.S. shipping option (estados unidos or anything else resembling America).

AlexHansen

#381 Post by AlexHansen » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:36 pm

I got it a few weeks ago but haven't really poked around it very much. Checked the subtitles and they're forced but not burned in (VLC plays them w/o the subs). The transfers seem serviceable. Though I don't have the keenest eye, a quick looking over just now didn't reveal any glaring problems.

The U.S. option is EEUU (it took me a bit to figure that out).

Oedipax

#382 Post by Oedipax » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:59 pm

Great, thanks!

stereo

#383 Post by stereo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:00 am

Yes, thanks; I wouldn't have guessed EE.UU.

BrianInAtlanta

#384 Post by BrianInAtlanta » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:39 pm

AlexHansen wrote:I got it a few weeks ago but haven't really poked around it very much. Checked the subtitles and they're forced but not burned in (VLC plays them w/o the subs).
Same here. My DVD player insists on the subs but on the computer they come right off. I'm working now on syncing the English subs to Comment Ça Va. The picture quality has skin tones with that slightly greenish quality that comes with an attempt to color-correct a pinkish print, but it's certainly a lot better than the Facets in red-o-vision.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#385 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:47 pm

In case it has been overlooked on the Gaumont thread There is a follow-up Godard coffret coming next year dedicated to the "political period" which will probably cover the Intermedio releases

justeleblanc

#386 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Any chance of posting screenshots from Numero Deux or others that have yet to receive a DVD release?

Does anyone think there's a chance Criterion would put these out on Blu?

BrianInAtlanta

#387 Post by BrianInAtlanta » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Here's some screenshots from Numero Deux from the Intermedio DVD:

martin

#388 Post by martin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:05 pm

I got the French Gaumont 10-disc set today. The 8 features and JLG/JLG have English subs. All the other Godard-directed stuff in the set has English subs as well (Scénario de Sauve qui peut (la vie), Scénario de Je vous salue, Marie, Lettre à Freddy Buache) or in some cases English audio (Letter to Jane, Meetin WA). The three rare Godard segments from anthology films also have English subs as does Miéville's Le livre de Marie.

The 10th disc with a more than 2 hour long recent (August 2010) Godard interview is unsubbed as are the approximately 9 hours of new interviews spread over the 9 discs - mainly with Godard biographer Antoine de Baecque (who has an interview for each film in the set) - and the interviews with the actresses (Anna Karina, Macha Méril, Nathalie Baye, Isabelle Huppert, Myriem Roussel), directors (Claude Chabrol, Claude Miller, Patrice Leconte, Jean-Claude Sussfeld), DP's (Armand Marco, Renato Berta, Caroline Champetier, Willy Kurant), and a few more like Gabriel Yared, Pierre Rissient, Jean-Claude Carrière, and others. All these 9 hours of interviews are from the summer of 2010 (June-August).

For Ever Mozart is in its proper Academy Ratio - maybe for the fist time on dvd? (I'm not sure whether the Spanish Intermedio set was correct; I believe their specs said 1.66:1?).

Ovader

#389 Post by Ovader » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:54 pm

martin wrote:I got the French Gaumont 10-disc set today... The three rare Godard segments from anthology films also have English subs as does Miéville's Le livre de Marie.
Le Grand escroc is the film I haven't seen yet and I would like to know your opinions of the work and how it compares with the rest of Godard's 1960s canon?

Stefan Andersson

#390 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:44 am

Re: what "gyorgys" wrote Aug. 14 about end title card missing from La Chinoise. I asked on a French forum and the French DVD is missing it also.

Eriol

#391 Post by Eriol » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:30 pm

stereo wrote:Does anyone know how to order this box set from the Spanish site into the U.S. since it requires NIF/CIF numbers? Or is there another site that doesn't require these?
That's just them asking for some sort of ID... You can probably put in your passport number and it will be fine.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#392 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:31 am

Don't think this blu-ray edition of Sympathy for the Devil has been posted anywhere yet...

accatone

#393 Post by accatone » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:41 am

Don Lope de Aguirre wrote:Don't think this blu-ray edition of Sympathy for the Devil has been posted anywhere yet...
I think this has been already out in France for a while. I am very happy to see this being released in Germany:

Including:

- Sauve qui peut (la vie)
- Tout va bien
- La Chinoise
- Le Gai savoir
- Vladimir et Rosa
- Ici et ailleurs
- Un film comme les autres
- Comment ça va?

I am stoked - but don't expect subtitles besides german…

knives

#394 Post by knives » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Don Lope de Aguirre wrote:Don't think this blu-ray edition of Sympathy for the Devil has been posted anywhere yet...
Have any reviews come out for this yet. I'm particularly worried about if it is Godard's cut.

zedz

#395 Post by zedz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:49 pm

knives wrote:I'm particularly worried about if it is Godard's cut.
Isn't the only difference between the cuts the fact that the finished 'Sympathy for the Devil' appears on the soundtrack at the end of the 'butchered' cut? (That particular fracas has always seemed like a publicity stunt to me - not worth a potential assault charge, at any rate.)

martin

#396 Post by martin » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:49 pm

zedz wrote:Isn't the only difference between the cuts the fact that the finished 'Sympathy for the Devil' appears on the soundtrack at the end of the 'butchered' cut? (That particular fracas has always seemed like a publicity stunt to me - not worth a potential assault charge, at any rate.)
Basically, but the are a few other differences, notably during the two or three minutes leading up to the beach sequence: The Sympathy for the Devil-cut fades the audio into the Sympathy for the Devil song, although the band is in fact playing another track in the studio at this moment in the film! The One + One cut doesn't cheat here!

The title sequence and end credits are also different (obviously), but that's definetely a minor issue.

The French blu-ray has both cuts (made as seamless branching), and I'd imagine (without knowing for sure) that the English would have the same. Anything else would be silly.

I would consider buying the English blu-ray if it has English subs! The literary readings by the distorted voice over can be quite hard to understand for a non-English person (especially the the name-dropping).

zeroism

#397 Post by zeroism » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:35 pm

The description on amazon.co.uk
Down the years the film has been seen in two versions and has been distributed both as Sympathy For The Devil and One Plus One, now audiences have the opportunity to experience both versions.
seems to indicate that it does include both. Let's hope it's accurate!

John Edmond

#398 Post by John Edmond » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:11 pm

The blu-ray.com review of One + One/Sympathy for the Devil is up. Seems like it's a complete botch, almost recall worthy. I'm glad Amazon UK hadn't shipped my copy yet.

knives

#399 Post by knives » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:16 am

My gut thought this would happen. Guess I'll have to live with it since it's already shipped.

John Edmond

#400 Post by John Edmond » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:08 am

That sucks. Normally I'm a wait-and-see pessimist when it comes to things like this - but I presumed Fabulous Films would merely lazily duplicate the French release, just at a lower RRP.