8 / BD 16 Metropolis

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: 8 Metropolis

#351 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:07 am

aox wrote:Not a fair comparison. Vinyl is a superior format.
Yeah, people need to hear pops and snaps and that shit.

aox

#352 Post by aox » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:09 am

My vinyl doesn't snap or pop. Just like my CDs or Blu Rays don't skip. It's all in the care. :)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#353 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:14 am

aox: Getting the joke since 2008

aox

#354 Post by aox » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:23 am

jesus.. I am just failing this thread left and right. Sorry Mfunk. The first fuck up was lack of coffee, this one is now due to too much alcohol.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#355 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:13 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
aox wrote:Not a fair comparison. Vinyl is a superior format.
Yeah, people need to hear pops and snaps and that shit.
I only watch foreign films
Hey, I think that guy posts here

under sixty different user names

RossyG

#356 Post by RossyG » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:01 pm

I only watch foreign films
Ninety percent of British cinemagoers could say that. :D

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#357 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:31 pm

Just received my Steelbook today. It couldn't have been a better timing since I also received my Yamaha amplifier, so I was able to wire everything (PS3, Yamaha, Jamo speakers, yeah I only lack an HD TV) together, and will hopefully test the disc tomorrow.

But, at the moment, I can only say that altogether (as usual), the packaging is really marvelous.

gcgiles1dollarbin

#358 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:38 pm

perkizitore wrote:The only satisfactory solution is for Kino to pay for a Region-Free repressing of the MoC blu-rays...
Amen. I want German intertitles. Gimme gimme gimme.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#359 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Tenia, where are you from? Have any U.S. residents received this yet?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#360 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:14 pm

I'm living in the North-East of France, halfway between Strasbourg and Paris (near Metz, exactly).

Paupau

#361 Post by Paupau » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:37 pm

What a ride this was! Literally seeing the film for the first time. Absolutely blown away by the image on the BD, and the package overall. Still haven't listened to the commentary, but i watched the documentary right after the film, and it was extraordinary.

IMO, your best release so far. Congratulations! Now begins the wait for Nibelungen...

matrixschmatrix

#362 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:11 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Tenia, where are you from? Have any U.S. residents received this yet?
I mentioned this in the Where's My Moc? thread, but I'm in the US (on the East Coast) and I got mine today.

antnield

#363 Post by antnield » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:05 am

Erikht

#364 Post by Erikht » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:05 pm

Have I misunderstood something? I ordered - and payed for - the steelbook dvd+Bluray edition. Today, I got a plastic case (looks a bit like a steelbook, but defenitely plastic) with two discs in it. I thought it would be two DVDs plus 1 Blu-ray. Is this what I payed for, or has some mistake occured?

Duncan Hopper

#365 Post by Duncan Hopper » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:08 pm

The 2 disc thing has already been addressed.
peerpee wrote:We were trying very hard for an extra documentary, a great Argentinian documentary called METROPOLIS REFOUND, which would have necessitated 2 discs. Eventually push came to shove, and despite being about a week away from it happening, we had to make the excruciating commerce-influenced decision to not include it. Instead of having only a 54 minute disc 2, we opted to put everything on one disc.

There are a number of reasons why we didn't mind not stretching it out to two discs. Over the last five years (ie. since we last issued METROPOLIS in the MoC Series) encoding has got much better plus we now have an altogether superior format (the Blu-ray, where we've optimised the image and sound as much as we can). We're happy with the DVD encode of the feature. The difference between not putting the documentary on disc 1, and putting it on a disc 2, was negligible.

Amazon displayed the updated information a month ago, as did the artwork stickers, and http://www.metropolis1927.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- We've been so busy with the release we haven't had the catalogue page added at our main website (which we're doing now).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#366 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:24 pm

knives wrote:Wouldn't Kerpan's be ;~}
Hey, that's trademarked!

On another topic -- We still have all our LPs (a whole wall-full -- almost up to the ceiling -- just enough space for a row of CDs on top). ;~}

Ozu Teapot

#367 Post by Ozu Teapot » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Erikht wrote:Have I misunderstood something? I ordered - and payed for - the steelbook dvd+Bluray edition. Today, I got a plastic case (looks a bit like a steelbook, but defenitely plastic) with two discs in it. I thought it would be two DVDs plus 1 Blu-ray. Is this what I payed for, or has some mistake occured?
That sounds odd about the box - are you sure? Mine is definitely made of metal with a printed cover design, but has a clear plastic interior which houses the two discs and the booklet.

McCrutchy

#368 Post by McCrutchy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:26 pm

Just got my Metropolis SB in PERFECT condition. Oh my, this is a gorgeous package MoC have put together. I cannot wait to find the time to watch the new restoration!

Also, thank you so much for keeping the original German-language intertitles and texts--this, to me, was one of the most unforgivable things Kino had done with their release.

Erikht

#369 Post by Erikht » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:29 pm

To both Duncan Hopper and Les Yeux Sans Visage, I think you have answered my question. I have misunderstood. After reading Les Yeux Sans Visage's post, I studied my book more closely, and found that it is metal, though a tad different than my other steelbooks. Tastefully done, though.
Thank you, both.

matrixschmatrix

#370 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:31 pm

I don't know if this is just the player I'm using, but I'm watching the Metropolis blu on my computer (a full screen monitor), and it's got forced black bars on both sides of the image- with the effect that I've got ridiculous windowboxing. It's not happening with the DVD version. Is that on my end, or the disc's?

arsonfilms

#371 Post by arsonfilms » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:20 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:I don't know if this is just the player I'm using, but I'm watching the Metropolis blu on my computer (a full screen monitor), and it's got forced black bars on both sides of the image- with the effect that I've got ridiculous windowboxing. It's not happening with the DVD version. Is that on my end, or the disc's?
Have you watched any other 1.33 ratio films on your computer? Since blu-ray was designed with the 1.78 HDTV in mind, BDs with a 1.33 aspect ratio are encoded as 1.78 native files, and matted down to 1.33. My girlfriend has a really old 1.33 ratio 720p setup, and I'm not able to watch 1.33 ratio blus on that either because the TV plays the disc anamorphically with the bars at the top and bottom, and then the disc crops off the sides. If this is what you're talking about, it's really just the nature of the format.

ambrose

#372 Post by ambrose » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:27 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:I don't know if this is just the player I'm using, but I'm watching the Metropolis blu on my computer (a full screen monitor), and it's got forced black bars on both sides of the image- with the effect that I've got ridiculous windowboxing. It's not happening with the DVD version. Is that on my end, or the disc's?
I have quite a few Blu-rays with "forced black bars" either side, the recent Carlotta Borzage's and the bfi ozu's for example,and on a personal level i do not find the compression at all detrimental!.(If you are talking about the Masters of Cinema Metropolis Blu-ray, quite a few MOC Blu-rays have that window-boxing effect.)

matrixschmatrix

#373 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:30 pm

arsonfilms wrote:
Have you watched any other 1.33 ratio films on your computer? Since blu-ray was designed with the 1.78 HDTV in mind, BDs with a 1.33 aspect ratio are encoded as 1.78 native files, and matted down to 1.33. My girlfriend has a really old 1.33 ratio 720p setup, and I'm not able to watch 1.33 ratio blus on that either because the TV plays the disc anamorphically with the bars at the top and bottom, and then the disc crops off the sides. If this is what you're talking about, it's really just the nature of the format.
Damn, I was afraid of that- I just bought this drive specifically so I could watch Metropolis, and after checking that one out I put in The General, which has the same issue. That's irritating.

Robert Wheeler

#374 Post by Robert Wheeler » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:11 am

So, I am guessing the pillar boxing makes the actual image's resolution close to 1440x1080? It is a tricky issue to overcome. I am not sure if the blu-ray or HDMI standards support alternate screen ratios, and even if they did, on most Full HD 1080 screens you would not actually gain any benefit. The best presentation on such screen should in theory be as it has been handled on the Metropolis blu-ray, which supports 1 for 1 pixel modes. Otherwise the image has to be scaled down to fit the display (although there are potential marginal benefits to this as well).

I am afraid that if you are watching the blu-ray on a 4:3 monitor the scaling solution needs to be addressed in your blu-ray playing software.

TheGodfather

#375 Post by TheGodfather » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:55 pm

So finally my copy arrived today. Very happy with it, it`s a beautiful release. Very tastefull with an interesting booklet.