13 Blissfully Yours

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
Bikey

#26 Post by Bikey » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:56 am

Fans of Apichatpong who are based in the UK may be interested in knowing that he has two installations on display here over the next couple of months:

The first is at FACT in Liverpool as part of the Liverpool Biennial International 06 and runs until November 26

I haven't seen this one but a colleague who has tells me it is a wonderful piece of work.

The second will run at the Frieze Art Fair in Regents Park London from October 12-15 as part of their curatorial programme, Frieze Projects:

Bikey

#27 Post by Bikey » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:17 am

Second Run Tuesdays – Free Film Night 14th August

Our next free film night takes place on Tuesday 14th August, at our usual venue: The Fleapit, Columbia Road, London E2.

On that Tuesday we will be screening Thai director Apichatpong Weerasethakul's sensuous and enigmatic BLISSFULLY YOURS (Sud sanaeha).

"A delicate, ethereal dream of a film" – Manohla Dargis, The New York Times

“Languorous, immersive and sublime…â€

thirtyframesasecond

#28 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:44 am

The BFI Southbank (formerly the National Film Theatre, London) are running a Apichatpong Weerasethakul season in September.

I've yet to see any of his films. Tropical Malady and Blissfully Yours are included in the programme.

Bikey

#29 Post by Bikey » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:27 am

Also catch Syndromes and a Century. For me it's the most engaging film Apichatpong has made so far.

StevenJ0001

#30 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:33 pm

I watched this recently and was dismayed at the transfer. Viewed on a 55" Sony LCD rear-projection display the image is very poor (much worse than is apparent by looking at DVD Beaver's screen shots): the combing is ugly and spoils the brilliance of the striking cinematography. It's anamorphic, but looks so coarse that it may as well be letterboxed and then enlarged to fill the screen.

The region 1 Strand release is non-anamorphic, yet I think I'd prefer to watch that one over Second Run's, as the image is possibly a little better in other respects. I'm tempted to order the French DVD, despite the lack of subtitles, in the hope that maybe, just maybe, there's a decent DVD of this sublime film available somewhere in the world.

I've twice seen a 35mm print of this film on the big screen and it looks and sounds gorgeous, so I don't understand why it's so difficult to get a beautiful DVD produced.

Maybe a nice Blu-Ray will come out one day...

The Fanciful Norwegian

#31 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue May 13, 2008 12:51 pm

StevenJ0001 wrote:The region 1 Strand release is non-anamorphic, yet I think I'd prefer to watch that one over Second Run's, as the image is possibly a little better in other respects.
Isn't the Strand missing like ten minutes of the movie?

StevenJ0001

#32 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue May 13, 2008 5:19 pm

Isn't the Strand missing like ten minutes of the movie?
I haven't yet watched the Strand all the way through, but the only place I've read that it's missing footage is on DVD Beaver, which doesn't specify the cuts. Given that the Strand has the director's intro stating it is uncensored, and that I have never found any other reference to cuts on the Strand, I have been wondering whether DVD Beaver made an error in the running time comparison somehow.

The easy way to confirm is simply to watch the Strand from beginning to end, which I will do eventually.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#33 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed May 14, 2008 1:11 am

The Beaver comparison surmises that "some sexually graphic scenes" were deleted from the Strand, so there aren't really that many candidates for the (allegedly) missing scenes. Somebody needs to bite the bullet and Netflix it or something.

miless

#34 Post by miless » Wed May 14, 2008 2:43 am

I have it sitting on my table as we speak (I rented this two days ago)... the problem is I have not seen the film previously to know what is missing.

criterionsnob

#35 Post by criterionsnob » Wed May 14, 2008 10:17 am

I had the Second Run already, so I just borrowed the Strand from the library to listen to the commentary. The "sexually graphic scenes" seemed to be intact, but I didn't do a side by side comparison between the two.

StevenJ0001

#36 Post by StevenJ0001 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:24 pm

A quick glance revealed the sexually explicit scenes are there on the Strand. I can't imagine what else would have been cut.

MichaelB

#37 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 14, 2008 5:19 pm

DVD Beaver has form when it comes to getting running times wrong - this review of Andrzej Wajda's Samson is out by miles.

(I have that DVD, and it's normal feature length, so I've no idea where this "less than an hour" impression came from. Or why he wasn't curious enough to fact-check).

miless

#38 Post by miless » Mon May 19, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm fairly positive that the American Strand release of Blissfully Yours is uncensored. I really don't see what could have been cut out, seeming as we see a close-up of a woman's hand stroking and arousing a (at first) flacid penis. If that is the censored version of the film, than I will be shocked with the censors.

foggy eyes

#39 Post by foggy eyes » Tue May 20, 2008 9:03 am

The "money shot" from Second Run's release:

1:57:30

1:58:42

If the Strand has all this as well, then I guess there's no difference between the two.

StevenJ0001

#40 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:35 am

It does indeed seem that the Strand is complete, then!

So it seems like the non-anamorphic Strand release, which is still fairly awful, is the best available English subbed version of this film. A great shame. :cry:

BradStevens

#41 Post by BradStevens » Tue May 20, 2008 3:41 pm

I haven't seen the Strand release, but I compared Second Run's disc with the longer of the two versions released in Thailand by La-ong Dao, which runs 118m 35s. (La-ong Dao have apparently also released an even shorter version, running approximately 108 minutes.) The following scenes are unique to Second Run's transfer:

1- Between 26m and 32m 3s. After Min's mother helps prepare food (which is placed in a plastic container), she gets into a car with Min and they drive away. At this point, the Second Run version has an additional 6 minutes of footage showing Min and his mother driving, complaining about the air conditioner, etc. A man on a motorcycle rides alongside the car and tries to attract their attention, but they ignore him.

2- Between 40m 38s and 42m 45s. Additonal footage of driving.

3- 113m 21s to 114m 40s. The shot of the woman caressing the man's penis (as illustrated in the frame grabs above).

I gather that the penis shot is in Strand's version. Can anyone who has the Strand disc check to see if the first driving scene is present?

miless

#42 Post by miless » Tue May 20, 2008 3:54 pm

all of those scenes you described are on the Strand disc.

Bikey

FREE FILM SCREENING: BLISSFULLY YOURS Monday August 11

#43 Post by Bikey » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:38 am

Our Second Run Monday event continues this week with a FREE screening of Apichatpong Weerasethakul's beautifully sensuous BLISSFULLY YOURS on MONDAY AUGUST 11 at 8pm at our new regular venue ROXY BAR AND SCREEN, Borough High Street, London SE1 - www.roxybarandscreen.com

Please do come along!

By way of introduction to Apichatpong's TROPICAL MALADY (which we release on DVD also on August 11) we are screening BLISSFULLY YOURS in celebration of one of cinema's most dazzling new talents.

Peacock

Re: 13 Blissfully Yours

#44 Post by Peacock » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:42 pm

the dvd seems to have been out of stock for quite a few weeks now on amazon, play, and hmv. Has it gone out of print like Nighthawks/Strip jack naked? It's selling for £64 or £100 (take your pic) on amazon, so I'm really hoping this is just a temporary thing as I didn't buy it before.

fiddlesticks

#45 Post by fiddlesticks » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Peacock wrote:the dvd seems to have been out of stock for quite a few weeks now on amazon, play, and hmv. Has it gone out of print like Nighthawks/Strip jack naked? It's selling for £64 or £100 (take your pic) on amazon, so I'm really hoping this is just a temporary thing as I didn't buy it before.
:shock:
Anyone willing to spend £100 on Blissfully Yours is encouraged to PM me right away. [-o<

Bikey

#46 Post by Bikey » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:38 pm

Please don't worry. Blissfully Yours is simply out-of-stock at the moment and the long Christmas/New Year holidays meant that we could not get more stock in as quickly as needed. It may take a couple of weeks now but the DVD will be back in stock.
Nighthawks and Strip Jack Naked are the only titles that are now OOP and we had informed everyone (as widely as we could) in advance of that happening.

effigy105

#47 Post by effigy105 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:20 pm

I realise I'm digging out an old thread here but I was just wondering, given the recent restoration and HD releases of Mysterious Object at Noon if there might be any hope for an updated release of this beautiful film?

rapta

#48 Post by rapta » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Yes please. Tropical Malady is even more of a favourite of mine, but I'd be very happy with an upgrade of either!

Have a feeling Second Run are going to take it slow on the upgrades though. We've got The Cremator to start with, so we'll see where they go from there.

StevenJ0001

#49 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:06 pm

This film is in dire need of a decent release. I've seen a 35mm print of this and it looks gorgeous--I can't understand why the DVD releases (all of them!) are so sub-par.