8 Films By Jean Paul Civeyrac

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Anonymous

#1 Post by Anonymous » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:01 pm

Has anyone purchased this set? I've been eying it myself and would like to hear any opinions about it.

Synopsis:
Jean Paul Civeyrac's films are like chamber films –in the sense of a chamber music: there are very few instruments that are played, there is no orchestration; mere themes (love, the disappearance of a loved one, the mingling of bodies…) are played by a few interpreters. It is not a repetition because it does not say the same thing; it's a kind of variation, in the musical sense of the term…

As a complement to those 8 films, multimedia artist and plastician Gregory Chatonsky (www.incident.net) presents his own multimedia variation by revisiting the interstices of Jean Paul Civeyrac's world: a variable and infinite experience to be discovered on a DVD-Rom.

French DVD release: 2006-06-08
Special features:
- DVD 1: Life according to Luke (14 mins) + Ni d'Eve ni d'Adam (87 mins) [suitable for audiences 12 and over] + The Lonely (71 mins)
- DVD 2: Spirits (89 mins) + Man's Gentle Love (74 mins)
- DVD 3: All the Fine Promises (81 mins) + Through the Forest (60 mins) + Sadness Beautiful Face (17 mins)
- DVD 4: Jean Paul Civeyrac: Interstices (DVD-Rom Mac/PC) + Video Trailer

Technical specifications:
3 DVD 9 + 1 DVD-Rom - Region All - PAL - Color - Original Aspect Ratios respected - Widescreen anamorphic and full screen for 1.33:1 aspect ratio - French original version in Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Stereo 2.0 and Mono with optional English subtitles - Recommended DVD-Rom configuration: 800 Mhz, 256MB RAM, Quicktime 6.

Steven H

#2 Post by Steven H » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:24 pm

I have *certainly* had my eyes on it. Too pricy for me right now.

I would kill to see Through The Forest, actually (had a chance last year and blew it.)

Arn777

#3 Post by Arn777 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:36 am

I really like Man's Gentle Love and Through the Forest, which I saw at the cinema. I bought the set, but have only watched the first disc so far, powerful and quite disturbing films, but less good than the 2 above. They are quite dark and the compression doesn't seem optimum (on a plasma screen), but I recommend it nonethless.

foggy eyes

#4 Post by foggy eyes » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:11 pm

This pretty comprehensive DVD Times review should help.

Dylan

#5 Post by Dylan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:35 pm

I hadn't even heard of Jean-Paul Civeyrac until today, and I've spent the better part of the last thirty minutes browsing through the excellent DVD Times review of this set. He sounds like a very interesting filmmaker, and I'm always up for new French cinema. Has anybody else picked this up yet?

Dylan

#6 Post by Dylan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:46 am

I was thinking about these films just now, and went to amazon.fr to see how much it would be to order this set (since I feel it would be worth an investment to discover a new/overlooked filmmaker) and was shocked at the price...why in the hell is this $116 US?

I guess I've been spoiled by the prices various R1 sets have been (like...four discs for under $50, six discs for $60, etc.), because for three discs this seems incredibly overpriced to me (8 films or not). Arn (and others who purchased this), where did you get your copy?
Last edited by Dylan on Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:49 am

eight films for $120 really isn't all that terrible
and you should just order them direct from Blaqout

Dylan

#8 Post by Dylan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:55 am

eight films for $120 really isn't all that terrible
No, it's definitely not, I was just surprised that a set with only three DVDs was that expensive.

Then again, considering that most R2 DVDs come to $30 each for North American buyers, $116 for three R2 DVDs and a DVD-Rom isn't surprising...but that's not exactly in my price range at the moment (maybe later in 2007).

It also just occured to me that (like the Blaq Out Iosseliani set) there is a distant possibility a R1 release in the cards for this (Facets?).

With that said, I do look forward to more thoughts from members here on this filmmaker.

Telstar

Re: 8 Films By Jean Paul Civeyrac

#9 Post by Telstar » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:19 pm

Almost two years now since the last post regarding Civeyrac. Any updates on what the filmmaker is up to and/or the dvd set's availability and price?

Ovader

Re: 8 Films By Jean Paul Civeyrac

#10 Post by Ovader » Sun May 05, 2019 7:52 pm

I have never heard of Jean Paul Civeyrac until a few hours ago when I saw Adrian Martin's Facebook post of Civeyrac's latest film MES PROVINCIALES/A PARIS EDUCATION. Looking forward to seeing it via Kino Lorber's blu-ray edition sometime in the near future. Feel free to offer opinions of the film.