7 Asphalt

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Tommaso

#26 Post by Tommaso » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:10 am

HerrSchreck wrote:I'm aware of the MIRROR editions you're talking about. Again, none are massively superior than the Kino, and some are brand new.
I have no idea how important that is to you, but for me the superiority of all the newer editions is the fact that the subs are removable, and that they are white and not yellow, at least on the Ruscicos. But, well, we had that debate 'white vs yellow' otherwise on this forum already.

Okay, it was unfair comparing "Red Shoes" and "Samurai" to some of the more 'obscure' things from Kino. Perhaps that's a little bit of my European bias. Tarkovsky is much better known in Germany than Powell/Pressburger, believe it or not. I agree with you that CC shy back from silents too much, but as I haven't seen their "Nanook" I can't comment on it. "Häxan" however looks quite fine to me, as does "Joan" (although not perfect). I find it quite surprising that CC often manage to get a better image on a single layer than other companies on a dual layer.
As to Eisenstein and "Pandora", I agree very much with you. There are good prints available (sometimes even already on DVD), and if they don't release them, well, other companies will earn the money (the British "Pandora" release is quite cheap and acceptable, including German titles).

As I said before, I appreciate very much the effort of Kino of releasing all these great and obscure films, and I hope they will go on with it despite of the riskyness of this business. But much as I see the producers' point-of-view, there is also the consumers'. It may be the case that most consumers do not know what ghosting etc. is, but they will notice that something is not quite as it should be. And then they ask: well, this dvd is not cheaper than others I have, so why is it not as good? And that is a reasonable question in my view. At least here in Europe it's more expensive to get a Kino dvd than one from the BFI, for example. Alright, you say they will not officially sell to Europe. But I don't think that is just 'patriotism' or something: probably they are not allowed contractwise to do so! And perhaps this is the real reason for the English intertitles: I assume they do not want or cannot pay higher licenses which would enable them to leave the source print unaltered, because this would result in what that article I mentioned describes: importing the films back to Germany (like we do with divisared or Eureka).

Thanks for the info on "Jeanne Ney" (original titles lost) and "Warning Shadows" (no intertitles), that makes it acceptable for me.
HerrSchreck wrote:I can't understand how you'd deprive yourself of watching such masterpieces on the basis of changed intertitles alone when there are no other editions out there, or the promise of one... irritation of varying degrees I understand and experience myself, but simply not seeing the movie at all because of it, is a skewed set of priorities.
Thankfully it's not that bad, because we have a real great TV station ("arte tv", who also do the eponymous "stummfilmedition" dvds) that regularly show silents and so I have at least SEEN (and most of them recorded on VHS) most of the things available from Kino (and some that they have not yet released, like the wonderful "Nina Petrowna" by Hanns Schwarz or "Fräulein Else" by Paul Czinner, just glorious). "Warning Shadows" is an exception, and I will have to swallow the Kino edit willy-nilly. Of course I want most of the silents I have seen on dvd (if only for extras and durability), but if it means to get an edition which does not even have the German titles that I have on my self-recorded VHS tapes, well, I can wait for another year or two. For most other people, of course, the situation is very much different, especially, I assume, in the US.
HerrSchreck wrote:Lastly, Tom: I'm interested on your what your take is on the TARTUFFE/WAXWORKS/JEANNE NEY/JOAN OF ARC situation? Would you rather see the original, antique, era-intertitles preserved, or would you rather see them, like MoC TARTUFFE & CC JOAN, have the original intertitles removed & replaced with electronic screens of the censor cards from source country? Since this is beyond the bounds of ASPHALT I'm also going to ask this question on the silent film on DVD thread.
Ahm..I think I gave my opinion on this already and it led to some ruffle between the two of us if I remember correctly... anyway: if it is possible, I would like to have the original titles preserved, of course, but not if it means that a French film like "Joan" suddenly has Norwegian intertitles just because this is the only print available. I remember that I was not entirely happy with the "Tartuffe" titles for some reason, but Transit/FWS did a great job reconstructing the titles on "Spione" (where they even clarified which titles were original and which were re-done). It's not really a major point for me; I'm only angry if someone replaces old German titles by new English....

HerrSchreck

#27 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:36 am

And I'm still not clear on your take on this. SOmetimes you sound like you want the original vintage translations, then sometimes no. It may be a language thing. Regardless of what the language is, removing vintage frames for digital screens is a desecration to me. Silent film was a truly international medium unlike talkies, and vintage translated editions fascinate me too. If that's what we're left with, then give me that. Don't vandalize museum pieces.

sevenarts

#28 Post by sevenarts » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:03 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:And I'm still not clear on your take on this. SOmetimes you sound like you want the original vintage translations, then sometimes no. It may be a language thing. Regardless of what the language is, removing vintage frames for digital screens is a desecration to me. Silent film was a truly international medium unlike talkies, and vintage translated editions fascinate me too. If that's what we're left with, then give me that. Don't vandalize museum pieces.
If you ask me, it should always be a choice on dvds, since no one can seem to agree on the best way to handle this stuff. personally, i'm not too picky. whichever way it's done, intertitles are always going to be some reading, whether i'm reading english on the actual intertitle or subtitled english below it. either way i'm getting the info. subtitles are pretty much just a functional tool used to explicate things in a silent medium, from my point of view they're not much different from the function of subtitles when watching a film in a language i don't understand. i understand it's different of course for those who do know the film's original language, but for me it makes no difference any way it's done.

Tommaso

#29 Post by Tommaso » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:00 am

sevenarts wrote:subtitles are pretty much just a functional tool used to explicate things in a silent medium, from my point of view they're not much different from the function of subtitles when watching a film in a language i don't understand.
Indeed true, and as long as there are removable subs together with the original titles everything is fine. But to stay with your analogy: replacing original intertitles is like dubbing a sound film without offering the original audio on the dvd as an option. And almost nobody does that nowadays.

Matt

#30 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:34 pm

TCM is showing Joe May's Confession (1937) on July 31 at 8:00 PM EDT. Apparently it's a very drippy melodrama, but I was wowed by Asphalt, so I'll tune in.

Ben C

#31 Post by Ben C » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:29 pm

I saw an earlier movie by Nobuo Nakagawa (director of Jigoku) called A Wicked Woman and the first 20 minutes or so is completely lifted from Asphalt, which, by pure coincidence, was the very next dvd I watched.
Last edited by Ben C on Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben C

#32 Post by Ben C » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:09 pm

Can anybody tell me how Kino's Asphalt compares to MoC? I've got my trigger finger alll ready to order one of them. thanks

Subbuteo

#33 Post by Subbuteo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:32 pm

Ben C wrote:Can anybody tell me how Kino's Asphalt compares to MoC? I've got my trigger finger alll ready to order one of them. thanks

You will not be disappointed with the MOC!

Ben C

#34 Post by Ben C » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:42 pm

I rented it and very much enjoyed it. However, if the Kino in close enough I'd rather get that and not deal with th PAL conversion but I've yet to hear a peep on the quality of the Kino disc. DVDBeaver, where are you?

What A Disgrace

#35 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:54 pm

For some reason, my Malata overscans the subtitles on the MoC disc...Spione has the same problem. My only option is to watch it on my PC minitor.

HerrSchreck

#36 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:28 am

I haven't seen the Kino as I have the MoC, but I must say that the MoC is not one of their most flattering transfers, as it has peak-picture type ghost images (not the ghosting via improper transfers from NTSC/Pal, but the 2nd/3rd ghost outlines you get on vhs tapes) signaling an analog sourced master, or dupe somewhere along the chain of storage.

htdm

#37 Post by htdm » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:44 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:For some reason, my Malata overscans the subtitles on the MoC disc...Spione has the same problem. My only option is to watch it on my PC minitor.
For me, the subtitle option won't work on any of my standalone players.

Ben C

#38 Post by Ben C » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:05 pm

I noticed some analogy rainbowishness but I couldn't tell how much was because of my average tv

HerrSchreck

#39 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:25 am

So much of film is when you watch it.. I watched this today for the 4th time, and unlike the first 3 times, I was blown away, whereas the 1st three times I merely liked (and very much respected) this.

I haven't seen the Kino but I wonder if this was using an authoring house MOC dropped later on (I noticed someone voted this for 06 Best Of but the disc is copyrighted from o5).

By the way, another progressive silent dvd, precisely from the time-frame/place as PANDORA.

denti alligator

#40 Post by denti alligator » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:02 am

HerrSchreck wrote:So much of film is when you watch it.. I watched this today for the 4th time, and unlike the first 3 times, I was blown away, whereas the 1st three times I merely liked (and very much respected) this.

I haven't seen the Kino but I wonder if this was using an authoring house MOC dropped later on (I noticed someone voted this for 06 Best Of but the disc is copyrighted from o5).

By the way, another progressive silent dvd, precisely from the time-frame/place as PANDORA.
Schreck:

1) Tell us more about what blew you away.

2) According to peepee this was one of the last NON-progressive, interlaced discs MoC did. What makes you think it's progressive?

Ben C

#41 Post by Ben C » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:23 pm

I rented the MoC versio and finally bought the Kino. I don't have them side by side to compare but the Kino looks a lot worse than how I remember the MoC. However I watched the MoC version when I still had my old tube tv and I looked at the Kino on my new 32" LCD. But I'm pretty sure the Kio is worth sendin back and ordering the MoC. Weird, because at the same time I got the Kino Scarlet Street which looks great.

tryavna

#42 Post by tryavna » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:32 pm

Ben C wrote:Weird, because at the same time I got the Kino Scarlet Street which looks great.
But that's because, while non-progressive, Scarlet Street was given an NTSC transfer and is not a PAL->NTSC port, as their Asphalt no doubt is. That alone can make a world of difference.

Matt

#43 Post by Matt » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:24 pm

davidhare wrote:Matt did you ever watch Confession?
No, it was on my TiVo forever and I felt too overwhelmed by all of the untouched DVDs glaring at me from my shelves so I just deleted it unwatched.

HerrSchreck

#44 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:27 am

denti alligator wrote:Schreck:

1) Tell us more about what blew you away.

2) According to peepee this was one of the last NON-progressive, interlaced discs MoC did. What makes you think it's progressive?
1) I felt the film as a full and complete work from a mind always working and never lazily duping the conventions of the late Weimar cinema, which is the way I always saw the film at first: an uninventive (because imitative) stereotype of the times delivering little else than predictable melodrama (the mom & pop always registered as cartoony stereotypes, as did the girl, the seduction scene, her lover, the thieving scene which seemed to lift so much from SPIONE). The artifice of the sets never worked 'right' for me either. It all read this time as seethingly cosmopolitan, quintessentially 1920's, bursting with tempo and cool, brilliantly photographed (if any film illustrated the oft-hyperhyped contribution of German expats on film noir it is this one: stick some dialog on this film, photographed precisely as it is, and you've got pure American Noir which could stand right next to OUT OF THE PAST, the Siodmak's, the great Fox Hathaway's, etc). It all just very impressively worked as a unified piece of tour-de-force melodrama infused with 20's tempo, German stimmung, and cool.

2) I'm on the spot here and now must expose my Supersecret Gandalf Progressive Test:
I stick it in a boiling cauldron with eye of newt, tongue of toad, and poop of Yilmaz; I recite incantations from the Magnetism Text that Jean Debucourt weeps over in CHUTE USHER, make naked passes around the pot faster and faster supersonic til my forehead-flesh starts to flap backward, then pass out; when I wake up, if a green slime has blown up onto the ceiling from the pot -- it's progressive. If it's not, the hot drips don't happen and I stay asleep all the way (from not getting burned) until it's just the disc and the smell of Yilmaz' awful (com)post.

Seriously, I think it's an analog-sourced progressive disc, though I don't claim to be infallable.. the green slime was everywhere. Wait a minnit... oh.. sorry.

Cinetwist

#45 Post by Cinetwist » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:23 pm

Just seen this. Considering the competiton of similar German films from the same year and Langlois' quote, all I have to say is this; "There is no Garbo, there is no Dietrich, there is no Louise Brooks, there is only Betty Amann!"

Tommaso

#46 Post by Tommaso » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:27 am

Cinetwist wrote:"There is no Garbo, there is no Dietrich, there is no Louise Brooks, there is only Betty Amann!"
Much seconded,but apart from Amann there IS Brigitte Helm :)

Tommaso

#47 Post by Tommaso » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:10 am

davidhare wrote:Fuck! What happened to Louise Brooks?
Well, she went to France to make that "Prix de Beauté" film, which apart from its glorious ending is as dull as it could possibly get. The Kino dvd of this runs way too fast, which makes it unwatchable, but on the other hand thankfully its over more quickly that way :wink:

Oh, I forgot to name the incredibly cute Elisabeth Bergner in the 1929 Schnitzler adaptation "Fräulein Else" by her husband Paul Czinner. Not exactly a par for Amann, but well worth seeing (the film, too). Would be nice to have that one from MoC....

HerrSchreck

#48 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:24 am

I must be the only person aside from some contemporary critics who likes PRIX DE BEAUTE-- I love Mate's cinematoraphy, the virtually all-location shooting, the sense of spending time with these characters throughout their mundane daily activities, and find the ending pathos pretty much par for the Pabst-Brooks / early-French unhappy ending schtick (though I don't dislike it).

Are you saying that the sound is being run too quickly Tom? I know there are a variety of versions and runtimes for this film, sound and silent (the original silent being the longest)... Obviously as this was always a dubbed silent (even the sound version), it appears that (particularly in the runway scenes) silent footage is being run at sound speed, bigtime. I've heard folks who owned the vhs version saying the two seem about par with no missing footage on the dvd and couldn't detect where the speedup vs. the "93 min" vhs version was (ie lack of tweety-sounding voices.)

Do you have any more info on this Tom, as I'm been trying to ascertain what the hell is going on with the runtimes-- i e bad spec data on the runtimes, or a shortened print, or a speedup. Not sure..

HerrSchreck

#49 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:31 am

What disc do you have of this-- is it the French Brooks "COFFRET"..? and if so, what's the running time on your copy?

Bringing momentarily back on topic-- I think Betty Amann is all fake lashes, kilograms of poundation power, and quarts of eye liner and lipstick-- her looks are painted onto a powder-gessoed canvass. Her gaudy looks (tho her performance is not bad at all) become poodle-like when compared to the ethereal natural beauty and stratospheric charismatic intelligence (and great fucking ass!.. boy o boy when ya catch it from the right angle you really get the point) of Louise Brooks.

Re PRIX mise en scene. I dunno-- certainly not a masterpiece or even as good as the degenerating-as-it-goes-along TAGEBUCH... but I think the basic petty mundane blankness and completely uninteresting nature of the characters themselves-- let's face it, Louise is playing a droll loser of a woman going out with a douche bag imbecile, not even a dashing one or one who exposes any iota of charms... hangs around with the pipsqueak runt of a man being abused by friend and stranger alike... so I find the vaguely uninspired and even here & there flatlining direction to be an almost ex-post facto accidental mood-enhancer for the great cinematographic exposition of these wonderfully drab cafeterias, offices, public beaches, blue collar streets, anonymous workaday crowds-- supported with at times quite naturalistic performances. In my opinion.

HerrSchreck

#50 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:59 am

But what dvd edition-- is it French or did you grab the Kino like Tom & I? And if not the Kino which ed. & whats runtime?

(Always loved as an extra on the Kino the vintage "Notes to the projectionist.. Now pay close attention here bubba because you have sitting on the tabel in front of you this new thing we fuckin sophisticos call THE SOUND FILM. Did you pull yourself back up offa the floor? Yes that's right, tripe eater-- a SOUND film. It talks-- it makes noise. Send your piana player for a baguette & vino or somesuch. Now read the below very very very very very carefully several times becuase this is a SOUND film and if you fuck up and folks isn't able to hear the SOUND you is gonna make Our WOnderful Film Compnay... cough uh make that SOUND film co... make us look terrible getting folks irritated unable to hear shit then they come at us with bats and clubs and baguettes swung at our vulnerable parts giving us a real bad time, and if you fuck us up in a sucha way-- trust me pal, we know where you live. SO get down with this sound shit front and back fore and aft make with the tone and learn to Know Your Volume... don't make me come over there...")

It was all very quaint & moving-- before the bastards realized they were flushing the artistry of the kammerspiel, expressionism, and impressionism down the outhouse pipe forever, with their SOUND. And I don't like the sound of that at all.