Awards Season 2018

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: Awards Season 2018

#751 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:26 pm
More secret ballots
And if “Bohemian Rhapsody” wins, I’ll quit the academy.
Again, pretty reasonable! Where are all the bitter, philistine voters to stir up controversy?

dda1996a

#752 Post by dda1996a » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:09 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:26 pm
More secret ballots
And if “Bohemian Rhapsody” wins, I’ll quit the academy.

Yet he watched it three times. Makes sense

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#753 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Very glad that Richard E. Grant stands a chance of winning, especially since I'm totally puzzled as to what Driver did to "steal" BlacKkKlansman, it was a very muted performance the appeal of which is lost on me

Big Ben

#754 Post by Big Ben » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:27 pm

I'm of the opinion that Ali is a lock for Supporting Actor for no other reason than it would absolutely be something the Academy would do.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#755 Post by soundchaser » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 pm

Saw the Animated Short nominees today. Bao is going to win, and probably rightfully so, although I think Weekends was my favorite of the bunch. The Long Afternoon was gorgeously animated but a little cloying; One Small Step was affecting but had a n animation style I didn’t gel with; Animal Behaviour I found extremely one-note. Of the two highly commended, Tweet-Tweet should absolutely have been nominated over these last three I mentioned.

knives

#756 Post by knives » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:53 pm

Tweet tweet wasn't even on the shortlist.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#757 Post by soundchaser » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:09 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ They played two with “Highly Commended” in front of them and that was one. It used linear planes in a really compelling way.

How rude!

#758 Post by How rude! » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:31 am

'Very glad that Richard E. Grant stands a chance of winning, especially since I'm totally puzzled as to what Driver did to "steal" BlacKkKlansman, it was a very muted performance the appeal of which is lost on me'

His scene where he talks about 'becoming aware' of his jewish heritage and how it affects how he is perceived by some is the most powerful scene in the film. He deserves an award for that scene alone.

hearthesilence

#759 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:51 am

More coverage on this, including some clarification:
In the months that followed, [Academy President John Bailey] worked behind the scenes to line up the crafts’ cooperation with the plan to shorten the show. He persuaded his own Cinematography branch to sign up, while his governor wife Carol Littleton brought in the editors. The costume branch also went along. Everyone saw video of what the edited versions would look like.

“They presented it to us,” said one costume designer. “When we met, the cinematographers had agreed not to be live. ‘You as a branch can vote how you feel.’ They showed us a clip of how it would look, ‘OK, fine.’ They would intersperse them. You would barely notice.”

But when Bailey sent an email to Academy members February 11, detailing the four categories — cinematography, editing, hair & makeup, and live action short — that would be given out in the commercial breaks, all hell broke loose...many people in the Academy and on Film Twitter did not realize the details of how the awards would be presented. They thought they were being taken out of the broadcast altogether.

dda1996a

#761 Post by dda1996a » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Some if the anonymous ballots also voted the top spot for Black Panther, which I really don't get. But if it wins it will open the gate for all sorts of these films winning, which worries me (Malek winning is similar to Eddie Redmayne winning except I quite liked Malek even if the film was awful).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#762 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Better Black Panther than Bohemian Rhapsody, at least

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#763 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:51 pm

They should go back to the original Best Entertainment/Best Artistic Achievement dichotomy

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#764 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Yeah, that way they both can win the big prize!

dda1996a

#765 Post by dda1996a » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:15 pm

Rhapsody will never win, if anything it's Roma, Black Panther and Green Book in the running (haven't followed all the guilds but is Star still in the race?)

Big Ben

#766 Post by Big Ben » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:46 pm

It's fascinating to watch all these power players in the industry say "Hey maybe don't cut awards out of the broadcast." and have the Academy essentially give the equivalent of "This blowback is fake news." You'd think that people like Scorsese, Tarantino and Nolan would hold some weight. I guess not!

Persona

#767 Post by Persona » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:41 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:51 pm
Better Black Panther than Bohemian Rhapsody, at least
Amen.

movielocke

#768 Post by movielocke » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:18 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:48 pm
But if it wins it will open the gate for all sorts of these films winning,
What do you mean "these films?"

Blockbusters? Films with Black Leads? Films with Black Directors? which of these things is the bad thing that shouldn't be allowed to happen at the academy country club?

(note this is completely in Jest, I read that first line of mine in an offensive blackface Robert Downey Jr voice, "what do you mean, you people?")

I really don't think that if Black Panther wins and becomes the first populist mega global blockbuster film to win in the fifteen years since Return of the King won it really spells doom or opens any sort of door at the academy.

If anything, the opposite is true, the Academy slammed the door on global blockbusters after Return of the King and the pendulum swung to ever more insular and out-of-touch until we reach the point that silent films and fish sex are the what are winning best picture)

Fiery Angel

#769 Post by Fiery Angel » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:27 pm

Not that it will happen, but I'd love to see "Bohemian Rhapsody" win if only to watch all the exploded heads of those who think the Oscars have ever been a barometer of real excellence. (I think "Green Book" will win, which would be an even worse look than "Rhapsody" winning.)

DarkImbecile

#770 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:34 pm

There is no overlap between the Venn diagrams of people who think the Academy is a flawless arbiter of cinematic quality and those who would be horrified by Bohemian Rhapsody or Green Book winning.

This straw man characterization of people who don’t feel the need to performatively dismiss the Oscars as naive simpletons is a far more frustrating part of this annual cycle than anything the Academy themselves does.

movielocke

#771 Post by movielocke » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:43 pm

The Oscars use instant run off to determine Best Picture, and the other awards are determined by largest plurality.

Add both those tabulation qualities together and you get awards where the majority voted for something else (and the majority of audiences would have picked something else). Which means that everyone is perennially dissatisfied with the oscars.

There are almost no Best Picture instances like Schindler's List where a film won an overwhelming majority (possibly the only winner that ever received more than 75% of first place votes, even the Weinsteins voted for it over their own films, the only time they've ever done that). And there are very few years where a film probably won more than 50% of first place votes (that is to say that a majority of voters/viewers preferred one film winning instead of a majority being held by the combined non-winners).

Fiery Angel

#772 Post by Fiery Angel » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:52 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:34 pm
There is no overlap between the Venn diagrams of people who think the Academy is a flawless arbiter of cinematic quality and those who would be horrified by Bohemian Rhapsody or Green Book winning.

This straw man characterization of people who don’t feel the need to performatively dismiss the Oscars as naive simpletons is a far more frustrating part of this annual cycle than anything the Academy themselves does.
I never said "flawless arbiter," Mr. Fake Straw Man.

DarkImbecile

#773 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:04 pm

Incontestably accurate. I’ll refrain from piling on to what was probably an unnecessarily bitchy response on my part.

dda1996a

#774 Post by dda1996a » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:24 pm

movielocke wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:18 pm
dda1996a wrote:

Blockbusters? Films with Black Leads? Films with Black Directors? which of these things is the bad thing that shouldn't be allowed to happen at the academy country club?

(note this is completely in Jest, I read that first line of mine in an offensive blackface Robert Downey Jr voice, "what do you mean, you people?")

I really don't think that if Black Panther wins and becomes the first populist mega global blockbuster film to win in the fifteen years since Return of the King won it really spells doom or opens any sort of door at the academy.

If anything, the opposite is true, the Academy slammed the door on global blockbusters after Return of the King and the pendulum swung to ever more insular and out-of-touch until we reach the point that silent films and fish sex are the what are winning best picture)
I know you jest but I was amongst Moonlight's biggest supporters. I meant superheros and Marvel. I don't mind blockbusters and LotR isn't exactly similar imo.

knives

#775 Post by knives » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:47 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:24 pm
movielocke wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:18 pm
dda1996a wrote:

I know you jest but I was amongst Moonlight's biggest supporters. I meant superheros and Marvel. I don't mind blockbusters and LotR isn't exactly similar imo.
Ignoring questions of quality, given your first statement, how isn't LotR exactly similar. The overlap is actually amusingly similar.