James Bond Franchise (1962-∞)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
MoonlitKnight

Re: James Bond Franchise (1962-∞)

#476 Post by MoonlitKnight » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:05 am

Roberts (who, for me, will always be Midge from That '70s Show) is definitely one of the 5 bottom-of-the-barrel Bond heroines; the others being Jane Seymour as the utterly helpless Solitaire in "Live and Let Die," Britt Ekland as the bumbling Mary Goodnight in "The Man with the Golden Gun," Maryam d'Abo as the incredibly bland and unmemorable Kara Milovy in "The Living Daylights," and Denise Richards as the *ahem* rocket scientist Christmas Jones in "The World Is Not Enough." :-s

Roberts and Grace Jones would almost certainly qualify under the 'Rule of Two' that's been in place for the series from "Licence to Kill" onward, where there are 2 prominent Bond girls -- one 'good' (who's the heroine and ends up assisting Bond throughout the movie... and usually ends up with him at the end; Olga Kurylenko and Naomie Harris beings the exceptions), one 'bad' (who's either a henchwoman or the villain's mistress... and who usually dies at some point; Talisa Soto and Monica Bellucci being the exceptions). Ekland and Maud Adams in "Golden Gun" also fit this bill.

Lost Highway

#477 Post by Lost Highway » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:30 am

Maybe I’m being kind, but I always saw Denise Richard‘s casting as a self-aware in-joke to counteract the dark nature of Sophie Marceau‘s role. Marceau is the main girl in that film and in a rare twist turns out to also be the main villain. She‘s among my favourites.

The first half of the 70s reflected the sexism of the decade by featuring a number of useless Bond girls. Then feminism took a hold on mainstream culture. Barbara Bach‘s Russian agent in The Spy Who Loved Me was the first Bond girl who genuinely was Bond‘s equal and who had almost as much screen time as he had. There were some strong Bond girls in the 60s like Bond‘s wife Tracy and Goldfinger’s Pussy Galore, but they were absent from the plot for most of the film.
Last edited by Lost Highway on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#478 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:13 am

Lost Highway wrote:Maybe I’m being kind, but I always saw Denise Richard‘s casting as a self-aware in-joke to counteract the dark nature of Sophie Marceau‘s role. Marceau is the main girl in that film and in a rare twist turns out to also be the main villain. She‘s among my favourites.
In a way, it reminds of GoldenEye where Famke Janssen is way more interesting and memorable than Izabella Scorupco (whose name I had to find back on Google).

However, I totally forgot about D'Abo in The Living Daylights, which is a shame because the movie is quite good, so you'd think the Bond Girl is too.
Lost Highway wrote:Barbara Bach‘s Russian agent in The Spy Who Loved Me was the first Bond girl who genuinely was Bond‘s equal and who had almost as much screen time as he had.
That's part of why Spy feels so breezy to me. There's so kind of back-and-forth exchanges within the movie between Moore, Bach, Jürgens, Kiel and Munro that it feels like there are, for once, more than just a few interesting characters (mostly Bond) but more than this. It helps giving flesh to the movie, more than usual within the franchise.

Lost Highway

#479 Post by Lost Highway » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:01 am

tenia wrote:
Lost Highway wrote:Maybe I’m being kind, but I always saw Denise Richard‘s casting as a self-aware in-joke to counteract the dark nature of Sophie Marceau‘s role. Marceau is the main girl in that film and in a rare twist turns out to also be the main villain. She‘s among my favourites.
In a way, it reminds of GoldenEye where Famke Janssen is way more interesting and memorable than Izabella Scorupco (whose name I had to find back on Google).

However, I totally forgot about D'Abo in The Living Daylights, which is a shame because the movie is quite good, so you'd think the Bond Girl is too.
Lost Highway wrote:Barbara Bach‘s Russian agent in The Spy Who Loved Me was the first Bond girl who genuinely was Bond‘s equal and who had almost as much screen time as he had.
That's part of why Spy feels so breezy to me. There's so kind of back-and-forth exchanges within the movie between Moore, Bach, Jürgens, Kiel and Munro that it feels like there are, for once, more than just a few interesting characters (mostly Bond) but more than this. It helps giving flesh to the movie, more than usual within the franchise.
I thought Izabella Scorupco was likeable enough and fine in her role. Janssen‘s psycho was of course a lot more fun and a star was born. I still think it’s a shame they squandered the Dark Phoenix plotline in X-Men 3 by relegating her to the background. D‘Abo was a little bland but at least not Britt Ekland/Tanya Roberts level annoying.
Last edited by Lost Highway on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#480 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:12 am

Scorupco is fine and likeable, but compared to what they've done with Janssen and her Onatopp, she comes off as extremely bland, almost transparent. She's not helped by her first scenes in Siberia where she comes off as particularly helpless and not particularly resourceful (but very lucky, though).

Ribs

#482 Post by Ribs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:14 pm

The article doesn’t seem aware that Boyle signed on to this project planning to make this movie and then very quickly turn around and do Bond assuming he likes how the script turns out to his liking. This seems to line up exactly with the schedule as we understood it a month ago.

Lost Highway

#483 Post by Lost Highway » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:25 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Boyle might be out
Yay! :D

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#484 Post by jindianajonz » Fri May 25, 2018 5:09 pm

Big Ben

#485 Post by Big Ben » Fri May 25, 2018 10:04 pm

I can't wait for every action scene to be filmed entirely in Dutch Angle.

Lost Highway

#486 Post by Lost Highway » Sat May 26, 2018 4:04 am

I hope he’ll prove me wrong !

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#487 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Apparently this has been a thing for a few years now but I just found out about it. (See here if you haven't also.) I remembered Dolly in Moonraker having braces - does anybody here not remember her that way?

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#488 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Lost Highway

#489 Post by Lost Highway » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:28 pm

Yay!

Werewolf by Night

#490 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Sign Lynne Ramsay or Andrea Arnold!

Lost Highway

#491 Post by Lost Highway » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:14 pm

If we are going for a female director, I'd pick someone who can handle action, suspense and genre and who might be willing to work on a mainstream picture, someone like Karyn Kusama.

flyonthewall2983

#492 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:39 pm

Kathryn Bigelow?

Lost Highway

#493 Post by Lost Highway » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:41 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:39 pm
Kathryn Bigelow?
Too obvious ! ;)

Controversial I know, but I actually prefer Kusama as a director.

Werewolf by Night

#494 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Though I was just joking with my recommendations above (not that I wouldn't love to see a Lynne Ramsay Bond movie), doesn't Eon Productions now only consider British directors for the Bond films? (Maybe Marc Forster spoiled it for everybody.)

Lost Highway

#495 Post by Lost Highway » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:43 pm

Werewolf by Night wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:35 pm
Though I was just joking with my recommendations above (not that I wouldn't love to see a Lynne Ramsay Bond movie), doesn't Eon Productions now only consider British directors for the Bond films? (Maybe Marc Forster spoiled it for everybody.)
I still think Joe Wright would be ideal and he fits all the requirements.

MoonlitKnight

#496 Post by MoonlitKnight » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:25 am

Werewolf by Night wrote:
Kiwis are still presumably OK, though? (see Martin Campbell and Lee Tamahori) In that case, just bring on Peter Jackson.

Lost Highway

#497 Post by Lost Highway » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:09 am

MoonlitKnight wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:25 am
Werewolf by Night wrote:
Kiwis are still presumably OK, though? (see Martin Campbell and Lee Tamahori) In that case, just bring on Peter Jackson.
The movie would be 3.5 hours long and take an hour to get going.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#498 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:13 am

Lost Highway wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:09 am
Each of the three movies would be 3.5 hours long and take an hour to get going.
Fixed

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#499 Post by Brian C » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:33 am

I’d be willing to watch a Bond movie where his mission is to stop a Bond movie by Peter Jackson from getting made. It would be the most worthy justification for a license to kill that the franchise has come up with yet.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#500 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:36 am

Directed by Edgar Wright, with the compelled Frost and Pegg cameos.