Awards Season 2017

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Awards Season 2017

#651 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:19 am

This is a pointless list, and they didn't even bother to check when all these foreign films first played the states-- they're wayy off

Ribs

#652 Post by Ribs » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:20 am

Would also be interesting if they had not spent the bulk of it with totally ridiculous foreign art house picks that the Oscars are by design not really meant to reward. It’s not like there aren’t good studio movies from these years that also should have been nominated!

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#653 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:31 am

domino harvey wrote:This is a pointless list
Redundant, right? And I say that as someone who loves making pointless lists

Big Ben

#654 Post by Big Ben » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:42 am

Actually I enjoy the discussion around lists more than the lists themselves. I mean who doesn't want to yell at someone who thought Crash deserved Best Picture?

hearthesilence

#655 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:38 pm

For some reason, NY Magazine decided to ask long-time music critic Bill Wyman (not that Bill Wyman) to do yet another "ranking" feature, this time on the opening segments of 66 Oscar telecasts.

Regardless, it's nice to skim through and revisit some nearly forgotten jokes.

From Chris Rock: “There’s no reason for there to be a man and a woman category in acting. It’s not track and field! Robert De Niro never said, ‘I better slow this actin’ down so Meryl Streep can catch up!’”

Billy Crystal: Oliver Stone’s next movie, he says, is "The Men Who Shot Liberty Valance.”

Steve Martin: “Maybe movies are too violent. I took a 9-year-old kid to Gladiator and he cried throughout the entire film. Now, maybe it’s because he didn’t know who I was.” Also: “It’s not easy to keep a marriage together in Hollywood because, well, we sleep with so many different people.”

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#656 Post by Brian C » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:57 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Billy Crystal: Oliver Stone’s next movie, he says, is "The Men Who Shot Liberty Valance”.
This is kind of a perfect joke - even aside from the obvious Stone/conspiracy angle, it really works given the plot of the film.

Feego

#657 Post by Feego » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:57 pm

It's oddly gratifying to find someone else who doesn't think that Billy Crystal is the greatest Oscar host ever (I've just never gotten the appeal, especially after he has recycled the exact same schtick over and over while simply changing out movie titles). Also, I'm glad to see the biggest laugh I've ever had watching the Oscars noted:
Jon Stewart wrote:Bjork was going to be here tonight, but she was trying on her Oscar dress and Dick Chaney shot her.

PfR73

#658 Post by PfR73 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:25 pm

It wasn't from his opening, but John Stewart also delivered my personal favorite Oscars line:

"For those of you who are keeping score at home, I just want to make something very clear: Martin Scorsese, zero Oscars; Three 6 Mafia, one."

Three 6 Mafia truly deserved to win, but the line & the delivery still kill me to this day.

The Narrator Returns

#659 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Sufjan will be performing "Mystery of Love" backed by St. Vincent.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#660 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:23 pm

hearthesilence

#661 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Feego wrote:
It's oddly gratifying to find someone else who doesn't think that Billy Crystal is the greatest Oscar host ever (I've just never gotten the appeal, especially after he has recycled the exact same schtick over and over while simply changing out movie titles). Also, I'm glad to see the biggest laugh I've ever had watching the Oscars noted:
Jon Stewart wrote:Bjork was going to be here tonight, but she was trying on her Oscar dress and Dick Chaney shot her.
I think Crystal benefitted from the fact that he hosted after Johnny Carson and Bob Hope. His comedy is much more closer to the old showbiz tradition represented by those guys, and for an awards show in the late '80s, his brand of Borscht Belt humor probably seemed like a step up. He was never going to be as sharp or cutting as Jon Stewart and Chris Rock, two of the finest stand-up comedians of the '00s. I like Steve Martin's first two stints as a host, and it probably helps that he's refined his approach over the years (Steve Martin's shtick circa 1975 is quite different from what he's known for decades later).

One of Stewart's best quips from 2006:

'Capote' of course addressed similar themes to 'Good Night, and Good Luck': both films are about determined journalists defying obstacles in a relentless pursuit of the truth. Needless to say, both are period pieces.

Ribs

#662 Post by Ribs » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:26 pm

Ultimately, this isn't the way to do this. I'd have invited Beatty to present Best Director, without even making a joke about it; he's done it before, twenty years ago exactly, it'd be a nice moment and not dwell on it further. It's a *huge* missed opportunity to not have Best Picture presented by Paltrow or Jolie or someone who was part of the major Hollywood story of the year that actually did matter.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#663 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:44 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:Sufjan will be performing "Mystery of Love" backed by St. Vincent.
Or as she's known to movielocke, Madonna

McCrutchy

#664 Post by McCrutchy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:05 am

Ribs wrote:
Ultimately, this isn't the way to do this. I'd have invited Beatty to present Best Director, without even making a joke about it; he's done it before, twenty years ago exactly, it'd be a nice moment and not dwell on it further. It's a *huge* missed opportunity to not have Best Picture presented by Paltrow or Jolie or someone who was part of the major Hollywood story of the year that actually did matter.
I can't agree with this. In the end, what happened last year really wasn't Beatty or even Dunaway's fault, but PWC's fault. By having these two return, AMPAS is acknowledging that, and trying to soften the memory of the screw-up last year. Now, both of them will get a chance to present the award correctly, and as a result, hopefully all the films involved (La La Land and Moonlight, as well as this year's winner) will be able to move on from that situation.

The year didn't start in October, and to have one of Weinstein's more famous accusers come out to present Best Picture wouldn't say as much about courage in the face of abuse, as merely proving that Weinstein has made an indelible mark on this industry, which everyone already knows. It also doesn't even begin to address the fact that what has happened absolutely involves more people than Harvey Weinstein and a few big-name actresses, which is something I fear we are losing sight of already.

I'm sure the rest of the telecast will have plenty of hopefully positive, non-cringeworthy references to the Hollywood abuse scandals and empowering women. Let's let the Best Picture Oscar be about the films involved, not the flawed industry that is celebrating them.

bearcuborg

#665 Post by bearcuborg » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:36 am

So it looks like Jodie Foster and Jennifer Lawrence are replacing Casey Affleck as presenters. But now Jane Fonda and Helen Mirren are replacing Emma Stone... Why, to make Casey feel better?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#666 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:38 am

I think the way articles and your own post are wording this is a bit misleading-- Affleck declined to present, saying he was replaced makes it sound like the Academy nixed his invite in favor of their chosen presenters. I assume if Stone isn't attending it's because she's filming a movie

Ribs

#667 Post by Ribs » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:05 am

No, they're having all the categories be presented by several past winners, including Emma Stone. They last did this in 2010 to get around Heath Ledger's abscence.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#668 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:27 am

Predix using my standard formula: What would be the least surprising winner?

Best Pic: the Shape of Water
Best Director: Del Toro
Best Actor: Gary Oldman
Best Actress: Frances McDormand
Best Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell
Best Supporting Actress: Allison Janney
Best Adapted Screenplay: Call Me By Your Name
Best Original Screenplay: Get Out
Best Cinematography: Blade Runner 2049

I think at least one of the acting categories will be a shocker though-- Dafoe? Robbie? Metcalf? Oldman seems to be the only true lock. Best Picture could realistically be any of five films and they'd all seem "obvious" in retrospect after winning, but this seems like the safest broadly liked film ala Spotlight, since no movies nominated have the overarching passion votes that drove Moonlight to surprise last year

mistakaninja

#669 Post by mistakaninja » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:30 am

When was the last Best Picture winner not to win a screenplay award?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#670 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:31 am

The Artist

Ribs

#671 Post by Ribs » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:51 am

Precedent has always been that 3 of the 4 SAG winners get the Oscar, but the entire race has been so easily across-the-board for the same four it's looking incredibly likely that'll streak will be broken. I don't know why you think it could break for Robbie - while there's certainly enthusiasm for it, I'd imagine she has a fair bit of vote-splitting for a similarly immoral character with McDormand (who has felt more locked than Oldman, tbh - she's won all these guild awards *plus* a few of the critics awards). I think that both supporting categories feel like 90% locks, with a wrench in the works from Harrelson being nominated in supporting too (vote splitting? though also nominated for the SAG, he hasn't always been on the ballot) and Manville (who I don't think got any precursor nods, which could mean she weirdly reallocates votes (but also I feel like the people who choose the vote for her are people who'd opt for Metcalf rather than Janney, only helping the latter)).

I'm really gunning for Dunkirk Best Picture. I just think, looking at the way this season has shaped out, it would by far be the most compelling narrative as a whole for this to come back in and snatch it away at the last minute. If I lived in a state that allowed it I'd put money on it, because while I don't think it's the most likely I absolutely think it's a safer bet than the 66:1 payout it's currently getting. I'm pretty lukewarm on the prospect of the other major contenders overall, but I'd rather Get Out didn't win mostly out of spite for Jason Blum, who I just fundamentally think is wrong about movies and to reward the movie would basically be celebrating the death of the midbudget feature (a narrative I'm frankly astonished awards seasons publicists haven't made). It'd be neat to have a Best Picture winner that really made buck, considering it's been eight years since we've had one crack $100 million.

mistakaninja

#672 Post by mistakaninja » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:54 am

Interesting. I thought that did win. Must have taken a BAFTA or something. Was that the year Allen won the Oscar?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#673 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:58 am

mistakaninja wrote:Interesting. I thought that did win. Must have taken a BAFTA or something. Was that the year Allen won the Oscar?
Yep, 2011, the year of the Artist. Before that, the last three screenplay-less winners were Chicago, Gladiator, and Titanic

mistakaninja

#674 Post by mistakaninja » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Happens a lot more than I thought it did.

aox

#675 Post by aox » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:07 pm

Do you guys know which foreign film is favored or predicted to win that category this year?

I only managed to catch The Square this year out of the nominees.