Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
knives

Re: Identify This Movie

#1101 Post by knives » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:43 pm

Oh, I would never have guessed that that was the movie he was referring to. It indeed is pretty great. Thanks for the book Rex as well.

L.A.

#1102 Post by L.A. » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:40 am

What film is that pic from? Anyone recognise?

furbicide

#1103 Post by furbicide » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:09 pm

Murdoch wrote:What is the name of the song from Du côté d'Orouët with the chorus "generations come and go..."? It plays over the Potemkine DVD menu as well.
Not sure if anyone ever answered this, but I was wondering about this too – google wasn't helping, so I took to youtube, and here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9CPdQ5NtnM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Ego" by Gong (track 9 from their first album, Magick Brother).

mattfondacaro

Re: 56 The 39 Steps

#1104 Post by mattfondacaro » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:22 pm

For those who have the original DVD edition of The 39 Steps, you may have watched the 30 minute documentary The Art of Film: Vintage Hitchcock. There's an intro to the documentary that has various film clips set to music from Valerie and Her Week of Wonders.

Can anyone please help me identify the films used in this short clip? I've been able to ID The Rocking Horse Winner, Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, Beauty and the Beast, The Seventh Seal, and the short silent film about a man kissing a woman. There are several other clips shown, and if anyone has any idea as to what those movies are, that would be greatly appreciated.

For visual reference:
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8c0_131 ... comments=1

colinr0380

#1105 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:06 am

It looks as if the dummy would be from the uncharacteristic for Ealing Studios horror film Dead of Night.

carmilla mircalla

#1106 Post by carmilla mircalla » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:28 pm

Friend sent me this gif and I would love to know what it's from:

JSC

#1107 Post by JSC » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:36 pm

It's from a Doctor Who episode (with Sylvester McCoy) called 'The Curse of Fenric"

beamish13

#1108 Post by beamish13 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:46 pm

I've got one. I believe it's a British film from the late 80's (1987?). The plot deals with a young woman who uses a wheelchair. On holiday at a winter resort, she decides to put one of her legs in a cast as a social experiment to see how people treat her different if they do not think that she has a permanent disability. Any guesses?

Werewolf by Night

#1109 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:44 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1110 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:27 pm

That's a great premise, though as soon as I saw it started Kristy McNichol I immediately lowered my expectations!

hearthesilence

#1111 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:05 pm

There are two Chinese films (I think Taiwanese films) that I remember seeing as a kid, probably video rentals. Both are commercial films, as far from the Taiwanese New Wave as you can get.

One is a martial arts film about a teacher and an adult student who develop a deep friendship. Before they part ways, the student gives the teacher some kind of necklace with a carved stone on it, as a show of their friendship. Later, they are forced to fight each other - I think they may be from two different Asian countries, and some stupid political conflict results in them fighting as representatives of their own countries. Not in front of an audience though, they fight privately in some building while everyone else waits outside. During the fight, the student tries to talk his former teacher out of this, but the teacher then shows the student the stone necklace and crushes it, basically showing that their friendship is dead. This spurs the student to fight without holding back. When the student delivers the death blow on his teacher, a necklace pops out of his clothes. Turns out, the teacher crushed a fake stone - the real necklace was hidden all this time, and he basically deceived his former student so that he wouldn't have to kill him and he could sacrifice himself.

The other movie was a soccer movie. There's a climactic soccer match that pits the protagonist's team against the antagonist. The loser gets their legs chopped off. (They even demonstrate with a guillotine-like device and a watermelon.) Things look bleak for the hero, then a torrential downpour starts, and the hero manages to win the game because he's used to playing in bad weather - I think his performance also involves taking off his shoes because when the bad guy sees him doing well, he tries to copy him, but quickly winds up with holes in his socks and goes whimpering back to this shoes. The hero wins and in an epilogue, he's hanging with a friend in the city when they come across a homeless guy, begging for money. They notice he has no legs and wryly suggest that the beggar is just like the bad guy they had just beaten in that soccer match. They see the beggar's face and it is the same guy which freaks them out.

vidussoni

#1112 Post by vidussoni » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:10 pm

The soccer one is The Champions (1983).

hearthesilence

#1113 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:30 pm

vidussoni wrote:The soccer one is The Champions (1983).
Nice! Thanks man!

fredmcain

Re: Identify This Movie - A Cop and a Fight

#1114 Post by fredmcain » Tue May 30, 2017 12:06 pm

I hope someone can help me identify an old film presumably from the time period late 1940s to early '60s. I cannot remember the names of any of the actors.

The Plot: A police detective is out of town watching a boxing match on TV in his motel room (or somewhere). He spots a most wanted criminal sitting in the front row at the boxing ring. He picks up the phone to notify headquarters but is informed by the operator that the lines are down from a major winter snow storm. (That was before cell phones, folks).

What follows is a race against time to get the lines repaired before the fight lets out and the bad guy gets away. There were several shots of linemen frantically trying to repair broken telephone wires. In the end, the final splice in made just as the fight lets out, the cop calls HQ, and the bad guy gets busted as he's leaving the arena.

Can anyone out there ever recall seeing a picture like that?

In the interest of illustration, I am going to attempt to attach a photo of what the type of lines looked like that were shown in the movie. This photo is NOT from the movie, but it is a similar kind of telephone line:

Regards,
Fred M.Cain,
Topeka, IN
Last edited by fredmcain on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

TazManiac

#1115 Post by TazManiac » Tue May 30, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm hoping to find the Title of an Italian Short Film that was able to be seen in 1970, here in the US. What clues I have at this point are the name might be something along the lines of

'the Street Sweeper' or perhaps 'the Street Cleaner'.

There's some friend's recollection that seems to think it might be a Fellini film, but it's an imperfect memory.

The scene as filmed looked at the guy as he came into from from one side, working his broom and advancing the wheeled barrel the refuse went into.

Thats all I have to go one at this point...

martin

#1116 Post by martin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:23 am

Perhaps Antonioni's early documentary short on city sweepers?

Donald Trampoline

#1117 Post by Donald Trampoline » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:11 pm

I'm looking for:
I believe it's a French film. Office workers (or at least our lead protagonist) leave work at the beginning of the film, very excited to have what I recall as a garden party. That gets increasingly out of hand. It's like a low-key Rivette-esque Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie but I thought set entirely at this one thing. Quite a minimalist type feel to it, not an in-your-face mainstream film. Very intellectual film. I feel like it's 70s or late 70s at latest (could be wrong), and I thought it had one a major award, like Cannes, but checking Palme D'or none of them was it. I thought the lead actor was bald, kind of like Michel Blanc but def. not him. (Maybe was Canadian is the only reason my Internet searches keep coming empty.) It's not by any major French New Wave director (like not the top 6).

Donald Trampoline

#1118 Post by Donald Trampoline » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Donald Trampoline wrote:I'm looking for:
I believe it's a French film. Office workers (or at least our lead protagonist) leave work at the beginning of the film, very excited to have what I recall as a garden party. That gets increasingly out of hand. It's like a low-key Rivette-esque Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie but I thought set entirely at this one thing. Quite a minimalist type feel to it, not an in-your-face mainstream film. Very intellectual film. I feel like it's 70s or late 70s at latest (could be wrong), and I thought it had one a major award, like Cannes, but checking Palme D'or none of them was it. I thought the lead actor was bald, kind of like Michel Blanc but def. not him. (Maybe was Canadian is the only reason my Internet searches keep coming empty.) It's not by any major French New Wave director (like not the top 6).
Never mind, I found it..! It won the Jury Prize in 1973, was a Swiss film (ah, so not French, but IN french), directed by Claude Goretta

It's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invit ... 1973_film)

Here's a clip talking about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNupz4IH67c

Michel Robin was the bald guy, not very Michel Blanc like, but that was the bald guy (or comb-over in this case) I was thinking of.

I was trying to look for it on FilmStruck is why I was looking. It's really a great, fun film. And after all that painstaking searching, not on FilmStruck of course.. haha

cpetrizzi

#1119 Post by cpetrizzi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:01 pm

From the pic of my avatar.

adavis53

#1120 Post by adavis53 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:20 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a Hollywood musical from the mid-50s to early-60s. I've only seen a clip from it but it's four people (two couples) on a gazebo in a park talking about one of the men before breaking into an acapella song where each of the characters plays an instrument with the main girl the lead singer. The other girl comically whacks a massive imaginary marching drum, one of the boys does a whiny trumpet. If any of you have any recollection of which film that might be from i'd hugely appreciate it!!

thanks in advance!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1121 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:41 am

I've definitely seen that but I'm not placing the film at the moment. domino?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1122 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:51 am

That is 100% Quine's My Sister Eileen

Werewolf by Night

#1123 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:53 am

rohmerin

#1124 Post by rohmerin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:17 am

One of you guys love this movie, so it'd easy.
What's that 30s film where a man in a wheel chair blinks the eyes as Morse code? It's a crime film.

Another, such as the END at Five easy pieces, there's a man / woman that leaves his / her partner in a petrol station and in the mirror at the loo, he / she writes with lipstick? a goodbye note.

antnield

#1125 Post by antnield » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:23 am

rohmerin wrote:What's that 30s film where a man in a wheel chair blinks the eyes as Morse code? It's a crime film.
Street of Chance. The source - Cornell Woolrich's The Black Curtain - was also adapted for The Alfred Hitchcock Hour in 1962.