Cahiers Catch-All Thread: From Auteur to Z

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Cahiers Catch-All Thread: From Auteur to Z

#176 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:30 am

There are 354 films on the Cahiers Top Lists from 1951, 1955-1968. Assuming one has access, all but nine are available in English-friendly copies via commercial releases and back channels. Here's what's MIA:

CIRCULATING W/O ENGLISH SUBS
Cyrano et d’Artagnan (Abel Gance 1963)
Il Terrorista (Gianfranco de Bosio 1963)
La Bataille de France (Jean Aurel 1964)
La Course de taureaux (Pierre Braunberger 1951)
Le Rendez-vous de minuit (Roger Leenhardt 1962)
Les Miracles n’ont lieu qu’une fois (Yves Allegret 1951)
Les Honneurs de la guerre (Jean Dewever 1960)

NOT CIRCULATING (?)
L’Amour a la chaine (Claude de Givray 1964)
Marie Soleil (Antoine Bourseiller 1966)

If anyone has a line on English-friendly copies of any of the above, please speak up!

UPDATED 12/21/2021

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#177 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:28 pm

I just paid attention to Rozier's list of the best French films since the liberation for Cahiers and thought it was priceless-- no wonder he and Godard got along!

KEY:
SpoilerShow
Zero de conduite is unchanged, the rest are portmanteaus:
Les Enfants du paradis + Voyage-surprise
Le Carrosse d'or + Casque d'or
A bout de souffle + Les mepris
La Belle et la Bête + Plein soleil
Farrebique ou Les quatre saisons + Hiroshima, mon amour
Manon + Procès de Jeanne d'Arc
Zazie dans le metro + La bataille du rail
Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe + Partie de campagne
Touchez pas au grisbi + Les dames du Bois de Boulogne

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#178 Post by Godot » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Domino, can you please point me to an English-friendly (subtitled) release of this Renoir?
13 Le Déjeuner sur l’herbe

I see StudioCanal released a DVD on their Classics series, but no I could find no indication if it has English subtitles.
Thank you!

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#179 Post by Godot » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:28 pm

KEY:
SpoilerShow
I like that "mélanges" double entendre, setting up his
SpoilerShow
portmanteaus
Quelle drôle!

Glowingwabbit

#180 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Godot wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:40 pm
Domino, can you please point me to an English-friendly (subtitled) release of this Renoir?
13 Le Déjeuner sur l’herbe

I see StudioCanal released a DVD on their Classics series, but no I could find no indication if it has English subtitles.
Thank you!
I'm not sure if the standalone dvd does, but this collection has it with english subs: https://www.amazon.com/Collection-illus ... B0056YHMO2

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#181 Post by Godot » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:29 pm
... this collection has it with english subs: https://www.amazon.com/Collection-illus ... B0056YHMO2
Merci beaucoup, Glowingwabbit!
I already have the other 5 movies from that Optimum box set on DVD or Blu-ray, so not sure if it's worth $40 to pick up Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe. But, leaning on the opinions of forum folk, I found a great review earlier in the forum by ellipsis7 on the Optimum box set here, and Domino listed Déjeuner as #1 on his (her?) Renoir auteur list a few months ago here, where knives had a nice (but mixed) short write-up about it, and Rayon Vert recommended it, and Steven H defended it glowingly in this post. So I will purchase on the strengths of these recommendations. Thank you all!
Last edited by Godot on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

furbicide

#182 Post by furbicide » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:31 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:28 pm
I just paid attention to Rozier's list of the best French films since the liberation for Cahiers and thought it was priceless-- no wonder he and Godard got along!

KEY:
SpoilerShow
That's wonderful. Rozier already had a special place in my heart, and now I think I love him even more!

aox

Re: Film Criticism

#183 Post by aox » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:04 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread, but this seems pretty significant.
La rédaction a décidé de quitter les Cahiers du cinéma. Les journalistes salariés prennent la clause de cession, clause de conscience protégeant le droit du journaliste lors du changement de propriétaire d’un titre.

Le nouvel actionnariat est composé notamment de huit producteurs, ce qui pose un problème de conflit d’intérêts immédiat dans une revue critique. Quels que soient les articles publiés sur les films de ces producteurs, ils seraient suspects de complaisance.

La charte d’indépendance annoncée d’abord par les actionnaires a déjà été contredite par les annonces brutales dans la presse. Il nous a été communiqué que la revue devait « se recentrer sur le cinéma français ». La nomination au poste de directrice générale de la déléguée générale de la SRF (Société des Réalisateurs de Films), Julie Lethiphu, ajoute aux craintes d’une influence du milieu du cinéma français.

Il nous a été communiqué que la revue deviendrait « conviviale » et « chic ». Or les Cahiers du cinéma n’ont jamais été ni l’un ni l’autre, contrairement à ce que prétendent les actionnaires. Les Cahiers ont toujours été une revue critique engagée, prenant des positions claires. L’article le plus célèbre de la revue est celui de François Truffaut, « Une certaine tendance du cinéma français » (1954), fustigeant la bourgeoisie d’une partie du cinéma français. Ce serait dénaturer les Cahiers que d’en faire une vitrine clinquante ou une plateforme de promotion du cinéma d’auteur français.

Le nouvel actionnariat se compose également d’hommes d’affaires proches du pouvoir. Les Cahiers du cinéma ont pris parti contre le traitement médiatique des gilets jaunes, contre les réformes touchant l’université (Parcoursup) et la culture (le pass Culture) et mis en question à son arrivée la légitimité du ministre de la Culture, qui s’est d’ailleurs félicité publiquement du rachat de cette entreprise privée. Là aussi les actionnaires ont des intérêts qui nous interrogent.

Enfin, à l’heure où toute la presse a été rachetée par les grands des télécoms, et les patrons de Meetic, de Free, de BFM jouent aux business angels, nous refusons cette concentration dans les mains des mêmes de titres jadis libres.

La rédaction des Cahiers du Cinéma (27/02/20)
Translation per Chrome:
The editorial staff has decided to leave the Cahiers du cinéma. Salaried journalists take the transfer clause, a conscience clause protecting the journalist's right when there is a change of ownership of a title.

The new shareholding includes eight producers, which poses an immediate conflict of interest problem in a critical review. Whatever articles are published on the films of these producers would be suspected of complacency.

The independence charter first announced by the shareholders has already been contradicted by brutal announcements in the press. We were told that the magazine was to "refocus on French cinema". The appointment of Julie Lethiphu, the Managing Director of the SRF (Société des Réalisateurs de Films), to the position of Delegate General of the SRF (Société des Réalisateurs de Films), adds to the fears of an influence from the French film community.

We were told that the magazine would become "convivial" and "chic". However, the Cahiers du Cinéma have never been neither, contrary to what the shareholders claim. Les Cahiers has always been a committed critical review, taking clear positions. The most famous article of the review is that of François Truffaut, "Une certaine tendance du cinéma français" (1954), castigating the bourgeoisie of a part of French cinema. It would be a distortion of the Cahiers to turn them into a glitz and glamour showcase or a platform for the promotion of French auteur cinema.

The new shareholding is also composed of businessmen close to power. The Cahiers du Cinéma took a stand against the media treatment of the yellow jackets, against the reforms affecting the university (Parcoursup) and culture (the Culture pass) and questioned the legitimacy of the Minister of Culture on his arrival, who moreover publicly welcomed the takeover of this private company. Here too, the shareholders have interests that question us.

Finally, at a time when all the press has been bought by the big telecoms companies, and the bosses of Meetic, Free and BFM are playing business angels, we reject this concentration in the hands of the same titles that were once free.

The editorial staff of Cahiers du Cinéma (27/02/20)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#184 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:24 pm

But who will keep the Hong Sang-soo industry in business?!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#185 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:37 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:24 pm
Pish tush!

roujin

#186 Post by roujin » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:05 pm

Cinema Scope to the rescue.

Nasir007

#187 Post by Nasir007 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:23 am

Oh no! Essentially Cahiers will not be Cahiers anymore! There's no purity anywhere. Everything is tainted.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#188 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:17 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:24 pm
Hong is one of the areas where Positif aligns with Cahiers. They did a good dossier on him a couple of years back.

whaleallright

#189 Post by whaleallright » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:49 pm

This is very bad news.

I have often considered subscribing to Cahiers, but end up buying (or checking out from the library) stray issues instead, because the rate for overseas subscriptions is astronomical (as it is for Sight & Sound) and, because of the postal standards for magazines, you're liable to receive your copy a few months after it's out in France. I guess now that Cahiers has been eviscerated this is no longer a concern....

whaleallright

#191 Post by whaleallright » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:26 pm

Tesson edited Cahiers back in the 90s; he was great. but it must be awkward for him to consider accepting the job again after so many of his respected colleagues left in principled protest.

Finch

#192 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:32 pm

Yeah he may refuse it out of principle.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#193 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:42 am

Don’t have a full English translation yet, but someone here might be able to help with that... either way, I think I get the gist.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#194 Post by tenia » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:11 am

Basically, they decided to resign because they saw a conflict of interests with the people who have bought the magazines, since there are many movie producers and the person who is going to be put at a CEO-equivalent job is someone from the SRF, the French Directors Society, an influent corporation.
They're also against what these people said they would do with the editorial line of the magazine : being convivial, hip and more focused on French cinema, "something the magazine has never been".
Finally, they explain the Cahiers have never been consensual in their critics, including in the politics opinion. They claim to have been especially vocal against the Macron presidency, while some of the people who have bought the magazine are rather part of the Macron galaxy.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#195 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:39 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:59 am
18 Foma Gordeev
For as much as some of their oddball choices are headscratching misses, when they’re right, they’re right. This was incredible, with Fuller/Welles-style in your (their?) face framing taken to 20X lethal overdose levels and a kinetic forward momentum that never lets up. Just 100% pure mise en scene bliss from start to finish. A film I never would have sought out if it was wasn’t for Cahiers/Chabrol