Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Jonathan S

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#551 Post by Jonathan S » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:58 am

colinr0380 wrote:Last Train From Gun Hill at 3.10 p.m. on Wednesday 10th (which is the film that I am most interested in this week)
I've always felt this is a far stronger, tougher, tauter Western than the better-known but dreary Gunfight at the OK Corral by many of the same team.

Werewolf by Night

#552 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:43 am

Yes, it’s really good and I wish it were better-known.

GaryC

#553 Post by GaryC » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:14 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
jlnight wrote:Remembrance, Tue 8th January, FilmFour. Shown as part of their brief Gary Oldman season
But, as noted by jlnight, the real rarity turns up in Film4's week long season of Gary Oldman films coinciding with the release of The Darkest Hour at cinemas - in amongst JFK, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, there is also a screening of Oldman's first screen role (two years before Mike Leigh's Meantime) Remembrance (which also features a very young Timothy Spall too!), one of the films made and screened during the first year of Channel 4's existence in 1982, at 11.30 p.m. on Tuesday 9th.
I saw that first showing, on 10 November 1982, only eight days after Channel 4 started. It was one of examples of C4 not censoring strong language, unlike the other channels at the time. It never had a VHS or DVD release, and as far as I can tell no TV showing on C4 after a "Take 2" showing in 1985. Goes to show how a festival winner (Taormina) can vanish into obscurity very quickly. I wonder how well it stands up now?

Mr. Deltoid

#554 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:32 am

Accidental Love is on Film Four, 1.05 AM, Wednesday night/Thursday morning next week. Don't recognise the title? This long-delayed curio originally went into production as Nailed in 2008 with Jake Gyllenhaal and Jessica Biel, directed by David O' Russell. Pay disputes and no-doubt much more besides eventually caused the plug to be pulled with Russell disowning the entire project altogether. Anyway, it was somehow completed and released in 2015 under this new title. I don't hold much expectation for it,but I'm sure it'll be interesting in a car-crash sort of way!

colinr0380

#555 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:50 am

That is definitely the highlight of next week, the kind of film that I have been curious about ever since the forum thread on it, but not interested enough to actually buy it! Now that it is tucked away on Film4 at 1.05 a.m. on Thursday 18th January, it seems worth checking out!

While the big Hollywood film of the week is Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation on Channel 4 tonight at 9 p.m., BBC2 also has a rare good week for new films - they are showing the Ian McKellen starring Mr Holmes at 6.20 p.m. on Sunday 14th, and the Russell Crowe directed The Water Diviner at 10 p.m. on the same evening. If you would like to see how awful Ready Player One could be, Pixels with Adam Sandler is showing at 6.10 on Channel 5 on Sunday 14th as well!

After Gabriel Byrne on George Bernard Shaw last week, in the same 9 p.m. Monday evening slot this week BBC4 have Angelica Huston on James Joyce!

Film4 continues with a few interesting rare repeats of older films too: at 3 p.m. on Tuesday 16th they have the Jack Lemmon starring How To Murder Your Wife, and most interestingly at 4.50 p.m. on Wednesday 17th they have the James Cagney western (directed by Nicolas Ray just after Johnny Guitar and the same year as Rebel Without A Cause) Run For Cover.

jlnight

#556 Post by jlnight » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Handgun, late Thu 18th January, Talking Pictures.

Sicario, Sat 20th January, Channel 4. Or...
The People Under the Stairs, Sat 20th January, Horror.

Fear And Desire, late Tue 23rd January, Talking Pictures.

The 14, late Fri 26th January, Talking Pictures.

Could the reason that Remembrance hasn't seen a commercial release be because of the pop music used in it? (OMD, Rod Stewart, Human League, Elton John, The Police, etc.)

Also Permissive is getting a couple more screenings on London Live next week.

colinr0380

#557 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:02 pm

colinr0380 wrote:If you would like to see how awful Ready Player One could be, Pixels with Adam Sandler is showing at 6.10 on Channel 5 on Sunday 14th as well!
For someone whose filmic persona has never really appealed to me (to say the least!), I was surprised to find the Adam Sandler film Pixels to be vaguely tolerable! Not particularly due to Sandler though, as he seems to be ploughing the usual furrow of entitlement, particularly in the section where he has the antagonistic initial meeting with eventual love interest Michelle Monaghan that ends with him trying in the film to stand up for nerds, but does so by saying that if he was a billionaire with a private yacht (like a certain Mr Sandler presumably has!) she would be all over him no matter how poorly dressed or unattractive he was, to which the lady can only silently acknowledge the fundamental truth that he has thrown at her, which just felt like another way of showing how every Adam Sandler film is about displaying how successful the actor and his pals are! Some humbleness wouldn't go amiss to make his characters a bit more attractive, but Sandler's characters seem to always have to be in the right no matter how obnoxious they are!

More than Ready Player One, Pixels felt like a strange pre-emptory adaptation of Ernest Cline's Armada book! It has a weird combative view of video games though, knowing that 1980s arcade games are nostalgia bait for a certain generation of guys who might also like his films but, aside from a brief scene in which the love interest's son plays (an uncredited) bit of violent fighting from The Last of Us whilst Sandler (and Qbert!) look on with disgust at how violent modern games are, there is no sense of any knowledge about games outside of the things that seeped into general culture decades ago that everyone knows: Tetris, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, et al. It might be part of the storyline that the aliens are attacking using characters from taped footage from a gaming competition in the 80s (which of course coincidentally Sandler's character and his friends were a key part of, so the fate of the world stays insular and entirely all about them!), but instead of being a film celebrating gamers, this feels very much like a film trying to 'humanise' gamers, coming at them from a wider audience perspective. And it seems strangely inevitable that the film would end up putting our 'heroes' in the roles of the ghosts of the Pac-Man game (the antagonists) rather than of the ostensible hero (in a scene which actually feels as if it plays better as a homage to The Italian Job, with its ghostly colour-coded minis doing stunts, than to Pac-Man!)

And in the end, in classic "The Simpsons already did it!" tradition, the whole premise is yet another storyline that Futurama did a better version of a decade before! (Even down to having twisted 'evil' versions of game characters attacking the Earth!)

But there are a few moments that I enjoyed: the brief scenes in London feature Sean Bean (although the people writing his character appear to think that calling someone a "weiner" is a common Britishism! Though Bean does get to follow it up with a couple of "buggers"!); and the few moments with Fiona Shaw (not to be confused with Emma Thompson) who sort of embodied every Hollywood film's strange ideas about British people in that Three Men and a Little Lady film back in the early 90s, turns up here to do another caricatured British person role, this time as a rather genteel, dozy female Prime Minister (which has only become more relevant recently!), playing really well in a couple of scenes against Kevin James' bewildered US President, especially in her line after a victory that there will be celebrating "From Land's End to John o'Groats!", to which James responds by screaming "What the hell are you saying!" at her (which I think characters should yell at each other more often in films!)

Speaking of Kevin James' President character, that moment of shouting down the reporter in the press conference for using over complicated, long words in his question, with all the reporters joining in to jeer at their hapless colleague for being too educated felt rather uncomfortably on the nose now that we are in the Trump era!

Also fun was the scene of the Pac-Man creator Toru Iwatani in an acting cameo doing a brilliant seeming homage to a deluded Mars Attacks! style "what if we just communicated with the monster?" scene, as the creator confronts a giant version of his beloved creation! Which inevitably turned up in the trailer! But the funniest moment was probably Brian Cox's gruff army general character getting his worried musings interrupted by his wife calling from the other room and angrily shouting at her to just leave him alone for five seconds!

So its an average to mediocre film with an obnoxious lead that has some nice moments from the supporting cast to make it watchable!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

GaryC

#558 Post by GaryC » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:24 pm

jlnight wrote:Could the reason that Remembrance hasn't seen a commercial release be because of the pop music used in it? (OMD, Rod Stewart, Human League, Elton John, The Police, etc.)
Possibly, though by 1981 film companies were realising that home video wasn't going away and that they needed to license music for it as well as for cinema release (which Remembrance did get) and television showings. Most of those early Films of Four (I watched most of them on broadcast at the time) didn't get VHS/DVD releases and so have pretty much completely vanished after their one or maybe two broadcasts on Channel 4. Some of them I wouldn't mind seeing again, as I'm curious as to how well they stand up.

thirtyframesasecond

#559 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:18 am

@colinr0380 - I read Hall and Oates make cameos in Pixels. I wouldn't want to wait around til they showed up, but I hope it's a decent cameo.

colinr0380

#560 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 am

They make a 'cameo' in the same way that a Desperately Seeking Susan-era Madonna does - the aliens voice their messages of doom through re-lip synced famous people from the 1980s!

jlnight

#561 Post by jlnight » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:05 am

Birdman: Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), Sat 27th January, BBC2. Or...
My Soul to Take, Sat 27th January, Horror.

The House on Haunted Hill, late Sat 27th January, Talking Pictures.

Block-Heads, Sun 28th January, Talking Pictures.

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Mon 29th January, Talking Pictures.

colinr0380

#562 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Just a few things next week: Film4 is continuing its season of Saturday night horror films with South Korean film The Piper (but not exactly of Hamelin!) at 11.45 p.m. on Saturday 20th. Also on that day Channel 5 are showing the tenth season of The X-Files with the first of the six episodes, at 11.25 p.m.

On Sunday 21st at 10 p.m., BBC4 are showing the French drama starring Daniel Auteuil and Kristin Scott-Thomas, Before The Winter Chill.

Then during the week, Film4 are showing the Chris Rock film Top Five at 11.15 p.m. on Tuesday 23rd, which is perhaps most famous for making a dig about a terrible Tyler Perry starring Madea film set at Halloween on a theatre marquee that apparently in its turn ended up inspiring Boo! A Madea Halloween. Which goes to show that you shouldn't give Tyler Perry film ideas! Speaking of Madea, ITV1 have the premiere of The Danish Girl at 10.45 p.m. on Wednesday 24th (there is also the bizarre looking team up between Vin Diesel and Michael Caine, The Last Witch Hunter on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 24th)

Film4 continue to have some interesting older films during weekdays: the Barbara Stanwyck thriller Sorry, Wrong Number is showing at 5.15 p.m. Monday 22nd and again at 11 a.m. on Friday 26th. For Whom The Bell Tolls is at 11 a.m. on Wednesday 24th. Joseph H. Lewis's Korean war drama Retreat, Hell! is at 2.55 p.m. on Thursday 25th. And last but not least at 2.55 p.m. on Friday 26th is a rare showing of Carol Reed's Our Man In Havana!

jlnight

#563 Post by jlnight » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:07 am

Sorcerer, Fri 2nd February, Film4. Alternatively...
Confessions of a Sex Maniac, late Fri 2nd February, London Live.**
Work (Chaplin), very late Fri 2nd February, Talking Pictures.

Blonde Fist, Sat 3rd February, Talking Pictures.

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Sun 4th February, Talking Pictures... followed by Salt of the Earth.

colinr0380

#564 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:58 am

When was the last time Sorceror was shown on television? It must have been at least 24 years or so!

Dr Amicus

#565 Post by Dr Amicus » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:36 am

Was it a Moviedrome showing once? But yes, it's a long time ago...

jlnight

#566 Post by jlnight » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:09 am

Sorcerer's first two screenings appear to have been on ITV in 1980 and 1983, seemingly under the title Wages of Fear. It was never a Moviedrome film but was referred to in the intros to Les Diaboliques, naturally, the remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and also Ted Post's The Baby.

Mr. Deltoid

#567 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:30 am

Bloody hell jlnight, you've got a good memory!

I actually remember that Baby Moviedrome screening mentioning the Friedkin film and thinking it was some sort of mystical Horror. Your right of course - according to Genome the BBC have never shown Sorcerer, but they have racked up six (six!?) screenings of Highlander 3: The Sorcerer over the years. The mind boggles!

colinr0380

#568 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:13 pm

35 years is quite a long time since its last screening (for context that is longer than the 27 years between The Exorcist's theatrical release and its first UK television screening in 2000, despite all of that film's controversy!), and it also means that up until next week's screening The Wages of Fear itself had been shown more recently than the remake (in BBC2's Filmworks season introduced by Robert McKee in the early 90s).

So a pretty interesting week with Sorceror on Film4 and BBC2's premiere of Birdman at 10.30 p.m. on Saturday 27th. In terms of other new films, the one that I'm most interested in this week is Norfolk starring Barry Keoghan (who has recently been in a central role in The Killing of a Sacred Deer). By the way, if the actor playing the father seems familiar, he previously played the farmer being interrogated in the opening scene of Inglourious Basterds! BBC4 has a couple of new documentaries - Machines at 10 p.m. on Sunday 28th and Trophy at 9 p.m. on Monday 29th.

We're also in the middle of a "manic-depressive Simon Pegg" week, with the premiere of A Fantastic Fear of Everything on Channel 4 at 1.00 a.m. this evening (though it unfortunately was on the DOG-tagged channel and in a sign language version, so hopefully it will get a 'clean' screening at some point), and the first screening of Hector and the Search For Happiness on Film4 at 1.10 a.m. on Tuesday 30th (though I find it extremely difficult to believe the premise that anyone would be thrown into an existential crisis by the thought of having to be in a relationship with Rosamund Pike! It seems almost as crazy an action as leaving Thandie Newton at the altar on your wedding day!)

Then at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 31st Film4 are showing the Robert Redford-as-Bill Bryson (suitable for our current Biopics List Project?) nature walk drama A Walk In The Woods, followed by a repeat of All Is Lost later in the evening!

In terms of repeats, BBC2 have a very rare screening of the 1959 version of The Diary of Anne Frank, directed by George Stevens and starring Millie Perkins, at 1.30 p.m. on Saturday 27th (it must have been at least fifteen years since that has last been on television, or maybe even longer); the 1944 Republic western starring John Wayne War of the Wildcats (aka In Old Oklahoma) is on Film4 at 3.10 p.m. Monday 29th (we're hopefully about to enter a period of re-evaulation and rediscovery of the output of Republic Studios with the recent season of Film Foundation restorations about to play at MoMA); and Friday 2nd February is particularly good on Film4 with the Joseph H. Lewis-directed, Dalton Trumbo scripted Terror In A Texas Town at 2.35 p.m. followed by Otto Preminger's The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell at 4.15 p.m.!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

GaryC

#569 Post by GaryC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:32 pm

colinr0380 wrote: In terms of repeats, BBC2 have a very rare screening of the 1959 version of The Diary of Anne Frank, directed by George Stevens and starring Millie Perkins, at 1.30 p.m. on Saturday 27th (it must have been at least fifteen years since that has last been on television, or maybe even longer)
According to BBC Genome, the last time it was shown (on the BBC at least) was 1973. It would almost certainly have been panned-and-scanned then, but this time it'll be in HD and widescreen.

colinr0380

#570 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:01 pm

I have the DVD of the film and the section that has always stayed with me (and which makes it essential viewing for any suspense or horror film fan) is that almost wordless section in the middle of the film where a character has to leave the hiding place and retrieve an incriminating item whilst the place is being searched by the Nazis.

jlnight

#571 Post by jlnight » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:00 am

Some Laurel and Hardy shorts on Talking Pictures:
(Private Life of) Oliver the Eighth (1934) and The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case (1930), Sun 4th February.
County Hospital (1932), Brats (1930), Laughing Gravy (1930), Weds 7th February.

Noose (Greville), Thu 8th February, Talking Pictures.
The Diary of a Teenage Girl, Thu 8th February, Film4.

What's Good for the Goose, Fri 9th February, Talking Pictures.
School for Sex, late Fri 9th February, London Live**.

colinr0380

#572 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:04 pm

Its a middling week next week - there are lots of new films but nothing that I have actually been particularly keen on seeing! But that is why a television screening is worthwhile, as it give the opportunity to check unpromising looking films out anyway! John Boorman's autobiographical sequel to Hope and Glory, Queen and Country is on Film4 Sunday 4th at 11.05 p.m.; the only person who can properly dissect the situation in Libya, Michael Bay, gives us 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Bengazi on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Tuesday 6th; Kate Winslet stars in The Dressmaker on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 7th; and The Diary of a Teenage Girl is on Film4 at 10.45 p.m. on Thursday 8th. Plus, hold your horses, Suffragette is on Channel 4 at 9 p.m. on Saturday 3rd.

The only film that really captured my interest is the first showing of The Hallow on Film4 at 10.55 p.m. on Saturday 3rd.

But the more exciting news is that apparently The Lobster is going to be premiered on Film4 on Wednesday 14th February!

jlnight

#573 Post by jlnight » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:51 am

The Bespoke Overcoat (Jack Clayton short), Mon 12th February, Talking Pictures.
The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, Mon 12th February, Film4.
Fruitvale Station is later in the evening. Sorcerer is repeated on Tue 13th February.

The Lobster (as mentioned above), Wed 14th February, Film4. Oh right, Valentine's Day!
Nina Forever follows.

Man of Violence, late Wed 14th February, London Live.

jlnight

#574 Post by jlnight » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:07 am

Ninja III: The Domination, Fri 16th February, Film4. (Ha ha)
Can You Keep it Up for a Week?, late Fri 16th February, London Live. (Ha ha ha)

Young Frankenstein (preceded by an Imagine episode on Mel Brooks and followed by the remake of The Producers), Sat 17th February, BBC2.
Double X: The Name of the Game, late Sat 17th February, Talking Pictures.

Saps At Sea, Sun 18th February, Talking Pictures.

Damsels in Distress, late Mon 19th February, Film4.

Still Alice, Tues 20th February, Film4.
Last edited by jlnight on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#575 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:03 pm

Its not too bad next week. After New Year's Eve turned up on ITV2 a while back, the first in Gary Marshall's 'Day Trilogy' Valentine's Day is showing at 3.30 p.m. on Saturday 10th (though is also getting a repeat at 6.25 p.m. on Wednesday 14th!). Potentially look out for the final film, Mother's Day, to turn up on ITV2 next month!

The Horror channel is showing Late Phases at 10.55 p.m. on Saturday 10th, and The Monkey's Paw (with Charles S. Dutton!) at 9 p.m. on Friday 16th. There is also a new Fred Olen Ray film showing in Channel 5's afternoon TV movie slot, but this one is billed as an actual horror film both in its listings and on its imdb page!. That's The Deadly Twin (or The Twin, or The Good Twin. They should make up their minds on the title!) at 3.15 p.m. on Monday 12th.

Nanni Moretti's 2015 film Mia Madre is on BBC4 at 10.30 p.m. on Sunday 11th. As mentioned by jlnight Fruitvale Station is on Film4 at 11.20 p.m. on Monday 12th.

And of course The Lobster is on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 14th, which is amusingly being billed in its Film4 ads as the perfect film for Valentine's Day! (They actually appear to be doing a whole run of romantic films on that evening running from Indiscreet through Titanic and into an early morning showing of Silver Linings Playbook) The one thing I forgot to mention in its dedicated thread is that I think I was prepared for the sudden appearance of the ten year old girl at a certain point in the film by remembering back to the sudden appearance of the character of Dawn in the fifth season of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, which goes entirely without comment by everyone else in the show (including the title sequence getting adapted to shoehorn the newly introduced character into the existing roster!)

___
In terms of repeats, its mostly about Film4. jlnight has noted that Film4 appears to be continuing with its Cannon Films infatuation with Ninja III: The Domination at 11.10 p.m. on Friday 16th (this is the wacky one with the possessed lady shown spinning around on her axis like a table football figure in the clip shown in that Electric Boogaloo documentary). The Cronenberg remake of The Fly is showing at 11.10 p.m. on Saturday 10th. But perhaps most exciting is that Preston Sturges' The Miracle of Morgan Creek is on at 4.25 p.m. on Monday 12th, and again on 12.45 p.m. on Friday 16th. And Cary Grant and Sophia Loren are in Houseboat at 2.55 p.m. on Wednesday 14th (one of their other Valentine's Day films!)

One of the other interesting repeats is that apparently ITV4 are showing the 1974 Peckinpah version of The Killer Elite at 10 p.m. on Tuesday 13th and again at 12.50 a.m. on Saturday 17th. It is apparently meant to be the worst Peckinpah film out of all of them (at least according to the Peckinpah scholars on their commentary tracks to his films), but its been years since it was last shown. The Radio Times has it pretty definitively as the Peckinpah version, though there is always the possibility that ITV4 actually means to be showing the Jason Statham remake (which seems more their kind of thing), so it'll be interesting to see if it turns up or not!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.