33-35, 67-69 World Noir

Discuss releases by Radiance and the films on them.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

33-35, 67-69 World Noir

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:16 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Forthcoming: Witness in the City

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:18 pm

Happy to see a French film I can recommend without reservation coming from Radiance! Here’s my write up
domino harvey wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:29 am
Was pleasantly surprised by Un témoin dans la ville (1959), the best of Molinaro's early pre-comedy noirs this decade, and give it a hearty recommendation. I could see a label like Arrow releasing this and making a nice profit as it's a real hidden gem with would-be wide appeal and great forward momentum. Lino Ventura avenges the death of his wife by faking the suicide of her murderer, only to have his perfect plan unravel after running into a cabbie on his way out the door. You have the give the film a little latitude on how dumb Ventura's delayed reaction is (if he had just given the driver his 400 francs fare the film would be over), but Ventura's fevered and unwavering stalking immediately after he realizes his mistake is terrific and never slows. By the end, the film becomes a variation of M, with a network of taxi drivers instead of criminals all working together against Ventura, who is oddly likeable in a role that becomes by design less defensible. Those who enjoyed the ASMR of all the driving scenes in Hill's the Driver will especially dig all the diagetically-scored interior car shots here, and for me the best thing about the film was seeing all of the great location shooting.

therewillbeblus

#3 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:49 pm

It’s really good, with some very memorable technical choices especially in the last act

Finch

#4 Post by Finch » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:33 am

It's the third film in Kino's just released French noir set which I was planning to get at their Q1 sale in Feb or March, but I suspect Radiance's booklets and extras are going to be good enough to warrant buying the film a second time when it gets released in the UK. I have not seen it and am looking forward to my first viewing next year.

What A Disgrace

Re: Forthcoming: The Facts of Murder

#5 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:23 am

I saw the Dino Risi set announced, and thought to myself "Damn, I hope we get a Pietro Germi set, too, some day!", then looked a little closer at the newly announced titles and, well...close enough!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 33-35 World Noir

#6 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:51 am

Vol. 1 18 Dec and there should be a Vol. 2 next year

What A Disgrace

Re: 33-35 World Noir Vol. 1

#7 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:51 pm

I wonder if volume 2 will focus on the 60s, or if there will be a different theme for the next volume.

criterionsnob

#8 Post by criterionsnob » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:07 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:17 pm

Un maledetto imbroglio was unfortunately a disappointment. I enjoyed Germi's starring role and the bald comic relief second in command who hates Franco Fabrizi for his thick head of hair, but not much else here worked for me. This is most definitely not a noir, it's an eccentric detective procedural, and the central mystery wasn't all that compelling (as such, it kind of reminded me of that Mastroianni detective film Radiance released--- fun light perf from the detective, but not much else). The whodunnit aspect also runs against the same issue the first half of Law & Order episodes sometimes deal with, where the guilty party is obvious because they're a big name who hasn't been in the action enough.

Finch

67-69 World Noir Vol. 2

#10 Post by Finch » Wed May 08, 2024 6:40 am

As the 1960s got underway, the golden age of film noir in Hollywood came to an end, with a new wave of filmmaking emerging that would define itself against the studio system. But while the classic noir fell out of favour with American audiences and producers, filmmakers from across the world - particularly in countries that continued to grapple with the devastating fall out of the Second World War - continued to produce first-rate examples of the genre, with three such examples collected here, in our second volume of titles showcasing the best of World Noir.

BLACK GRAVEL

Sohnen is a town built on vice for the occupying American forces in Cold War Germany. Robert, a local truck driver who sells off gravel from the site he works on as a side hustle, runs into an old flame, Inge. Inge is now respectably married to American officer John who runs the site. Driving in Robert’s truck, tragedy strikes and he and Inge must do their best to cover up a pair of dead bodies. From Helmut Käutner, unknown in the UK but the subject of numerous recent retrospectives and hailed as an underappreciated master, his films have remained difficult to see outside of Germany until recently: Black Gravel has been restored by the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung in two versions, the ‘Premiere version’ and a ‘Distribution version’, the latter of which removing two moments of antisemitism, something which Käutner was unafraid of portraying in the film as still being present in society but proved to be too uncomfortable for audiences at the time.

SYMPHONY FOR A MASSACRE

Five gangsters raise the cash to buy a large shipment of drugs which they plan to sell on. One of the gang however plans to secretly rob his partners, beginning an escalating spiral of violence and deception that leaves a trail of bodies across France. Fiendishly plotted with a twisty script from José Giovanni (Le trou) and Claude Sautet (Classe tous risques) adapting a novel by Reynaud-Fourton, Symphony for a Massacre sees the French master of the mystery thriller Jacques Deray (La piscine) directing with real energy and verve. Featuring an icy performance by Jean Rochefort (Tell No One), support from a remarkable cast of France’s finest character actors, and stunning photography by Claude Renoir (La grande illusion), this is French crime cinema of the highest quality.

CRUEL GUN STORY

Togawa (Joe Shishido, Branded to Kill) is released from prison early by his underworld bosses. They make him execute a daring heist on an armoured vehicle, knowing he has no choice to do it as he needs the money for his sister’s surgery. With multiple partners and facets to the operation, much is at risk and all is never as it seems. A variation on Stanley Kubrick’s The Killing from Nikkatsu’s Action line, Takumi Furukawa directs this yakuza tale with every bit of the deftness found in classic American noir of the 1950s, featuring hard-boiled characters and enough twists to make your fedora spin.

BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION BOX SET SPECIAL FEATURES:

4K restoration of Symphony for a Massacre by Pathé, presented on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK
2K restoration of Black Gravel by the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung, presented on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK
High-Definition digital transfer of Cruel Gun Story, presented on Blu-ray for the first time in the world
Original uncompressed mono PCM audio for all films
Optional English subtitles for all films
Newly designed artwork based on original posters
Limited edition 80-page perfect bound book by critics and experts including Carmen Gray on post-war German politics and film, Elena Lazic on Jose Giovanni, David Hering on noir’s evolution in the 1960s, and Jake Cole on the filmography of Joe Shishido
Limited Edition of 3,000 copies presented in a rigid box with full-height Scanavo cases for each film and removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings

BLACK GRAVEL

Includes both uncensored original cut and the re-edited distribution cut
Audio commentary with film historian Olaf Möller (2020)
Newl introduction from writer and programmer Margaret Deriaz (2024)
Newsreel footage of film set featuring behind-the-scenes footage and an interview with Käutner (1960)
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork

SYMPHONY FOR A MASSACRE

New audio commentary by critic Travis Woods (2024)
New introduction by critic Christina Newland (2024)
Archival interviews with cast members Charles Vanel, Jean Rochefort and director Jacques Deray (1963)

CRUEL GUN STORY

Audio commentary by author and filmmaker Jasper Sharp (2024)
New introduction by critic and programmer Tony Rayns (2024)
Archival interview with actor Joe Shishido
Visual essay by critic Philip Kemp on Nikkatsu’s noir films of the 1960s (2024)
Original trailer

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 67-69 World Noir Vol. 2

#11 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 08, 2024 8:15 am

This is like a bad running joke now, but Symphonie pour un massacre is terrible (and Cohen already put it out on Blu if you want to touch the hot plate yourself)

andyli

#12 Post by andyli » Wed May 08, 2024 10:01 am

I'm supporting their efforts on these world noir sets by getting both (and any additional sets in the future), stomaching the possibility that each set might have one bad (or just lesser) film. I guess it's only inevitable when grouping such diverse films and trying to balance many different aspects like nation of origin, quality of transfer and availability of bonus material in each collection. A totally commendable undertaking. At least to me it's much more attractive than other running projects like the ShawScope sets.

Finch

#13 Post by Finch » Wed May 08, 2024 11:02 am

Read some strong reviews for Black Gravel on Slant and Glenn Erickson, so between that and Cruel Gun Story, I feel comfortable plunging for this set even if I end up disliking the French entry as much as dom.

Peacock

#14 Post by Peacock » Wed May 08, 2024 11:07 am

Black Gravel! Did not expect to see that here. Glad I hadn’t opened the Kino…

Jonathan S

#15 Post by Jonathan S » Wed May 08, 2024 2:57 pm

I really enjoyed Symphonie pour un massacre (I bought the French Pathé release with English subs) but I'd say it's a clever crime movie rather than a full-on noir.