Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

Discuss releases by Radiance and the films on them.
ryannichols7

Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

#1076 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:41 pm

I have no idea where we're getting Puzzle of a Downfall Child from personally - PDC definitely seems like it'd be Pastoral: to Die in the Country to me. while Radiance has released American studio licenses, they've mostly stuck to an auteurist approach with big names that were largely touched on during Fran's time at Arrow. while I could totally be wrong, I think the Terayama fits the label way more, and it wasn't in the "failed licenses" list. any movie that was part of the "mock up" teaser (these include Viridiana and Matador, also) but haven't been ruled out by Fran so far (Visitor Q) are basically things I count on coming in the future. this label is hell bent on Japanese movies and given the sales we've seen so far, I don't see that changing (and it really makes you wonder if Criterion has seen this and have considered releasing more of their holdings?). I may be totally wrong, given that it seems like they're going to do Panic at Year Zero, something I wouldn't have expected them to release at all

to tie it into the discussion above, I vastly prefer them going for the dramas like A Story Written With Water and The Shape of Night (both of whom are still on their way to me) as these get way less love compared to all the slashing swords and bloodshed that labels like Arrow and Eureka are also pulling from the well of. but I'm glad Radiance can do both, I've stayed 100% with this label so far and I don't see any reason to stop so far

Finch

#1077 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:42 pm

The way I see it there is so much good material in Japanese genre cinema that even with three UK labels licensing from Toei and others, there are still numerous Blu-Ray upgrades and new to the West titles to be had, like Tai Kato's films or any other underseen Japanese genre filmmaker. I'm also hoping that a decent HD master exists for The Face Of Another and either MoC themselves or Radiance bring the film to Blu-Ray.

ryannichols7

#1078 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:32 pm

and that's totally fine, I know that stuff makes money and sells out, but there is a lot of space for movies that don't feature any of that. while it may not sell as quick, the dramas still deserve a place at the table and it's been sad to see them sidelined. Radiance and the BFI have definitely tried the hardest lately...the upcoming Naruse release from the BFI is an awesome shout

rapta

#1079 Post by rapta » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:47 pm

I'd argue Jerry Schatzberg is of a similar ilk to Altman and Ashby (from what I've seen at least with Panic in Needle Park and Scarecrow), so Puzzle of a Downfall Child doesn't seem like a bizarre suggestion at all. Today's announcement of The Landlord shows there's still an interest in New Hollywood and 70's cinema, and Puzzle is in line with all of that.

But you are right that Pastoral: To Die in the Country is definitely in Fran's sights - as are presumably other ATG titles such as Oshima's The Man Who Left His Will on Film and Hani's Nanami: The Inferno of First Love - and whilst he seemingly hasn't yet succeeded securing some of them (Matsumoto's Demons comes to mind), he was successful when at Arrow in getting the Yoshida, Jissoji and Suzuki art films. And whilst there are probably ATG titles that are likely somewhat easier to locate the rights for (e.g. Oshima's Death by Hanging, Boy, Diary of a Shinjuku Thief, The Ceremony), the 'Failed licenses 2023' list proves he is still actively going after those initial mock-up titles (as you mentioned, Visitor Q was on that list).

So yes, I'm not saying the PDC clue is definitely for Puzzle for a Downfall Child, I'm offering an equally plausible option for the clue. Similarly, I have MH down as Melvin & Howard (Demme), Manhunt (Sato) or Michael Haneke; and JCB could be Jean-Claude Brisseau or Japan [Organised] Crime Boss (Fukasaku).

PS: I absolutely back the call for Teshigahara on Blu-ray, and it's up there at the top of my wishlist of upgrades. The absolute best outcome would be a box set comprising of Pitfall, Woman in the Dunes, The Face of Another, and The Man Without a Map, but I'd take single releases of any of those. I also back any more Naruse, which Fran tried to do by getting Lightning from Kadokawa, but the materials weren't up to scratch so our best bet remains Toho. Fingers crossed Radiance are making enquiries with that studio, and something tells me it'd be wise to enquire about titles with relatively recent restorations (Shinoda's Silence, for example, would be a great start).

Finch

#1080 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:19 pm

I also made a point of preordering Floating Clouds in the hope that it shifts enough units to make more Naruse titles viable. I still have the DVD sets from MoC and the BFI.

Yakushima

#1081 Post by Yakushima » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:40 am

Finch wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:19 pm
I also made a point of preordering Floating Clouds in the hope that it shifts enough units to make more Naruse titles viable. I still have the DVD sets from MoC and the BFI.
Ditto!

Matt

#1082 Post by Matt » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:57 pm

Tritto! I’ve bought (or was given) every English-friendly Naruse release and will continue to do so. I hope (but don’t expect) that someone does get around to Flowing and Yearning, which are my favorites.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1083 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:02 am

RE: the EP1 and EP2, what if these are two separate releases of movies with the same initials? Because I think Eaux profondes is exactly something Radiance would release-- it already has a Blu-ray (without subs) so the master exists, and it has marketable stars (including one Radiance already loves). It's def not my choice for a Deville to show the world his genius, but I'd take it

therewillbeblus

#1084 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:57 am

That'd be cool, and we know Fran has looked at Deville, passing on most initially due to quality of available resources - so it being in HD already helps

I was thinking "Early [director/star/studio with "P" initial]" with two volumes, like the Arrow Suzuki sets

rapta

#1085 Post by rapta » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:49 pm

To be fair, I do seem to remember Fran admitting they had several Trintignant titles queued up and we've only had three so far (The Sunday Woman, Il Sorpasso, Le Combat dans l'île).

That said, I don't think the clues are as tricky as some make them out to be, seeing as 'TL' was literally The Landlord, 'POV' was Planet of the Vampires and 'MOCK' was a Mocky box set. Judging by 'TK3' being another Kato film and 'WN2' is presumably World Noir Vol. 2, I'd have to assume 'EP1' and 'EP2' are more Petri titles, especially when you consider the very first Radiance release was one of his.

That's not to say Deville's Deep Water won't be one of the upcoming 'surprise' titles though (Trenque Lauquen and Tchao pantin both weren't on the teaser list, for example). If we're talking Trintignant though, part of me does suspect some Lalouch (Un homme et une femme, Le voyou), Costa-Gavras (Z, The Sleeping Car Murders) or Zurlini (Violent Summer, The Desert of the Tartars).

What I admire most about Radiance is that they could be releasing any of these, or none of them...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1086 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:21 pm

All possible, but I also feel pretty good about "MH" being Mata-Hari since that'd be Truffaut + JLT, a match made in Radiance heaven

Compartiment tueurs' absence in an English-friendly Blu from any of the usual suspects is truly inexplicable-- it has like every French star in it, what could possibly be more marketable than this movie?! It's also one of the few whodunnit-type movies that actually successfully fooled me in a way completely earned and merited by what we're shown

ellipsis7

#1087 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:02 am

The second half of this year includes cinematic delights from established auteurs like Seijun Suzuki, Francois Truffaut, Elio Petri and Hal Ashby along with releases from less-known filmmakers like Tai Kato and Fernando Arrabal.

TMDaines

#1088 Post by TMDaines » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:32 am

The quote above is truncated and you have not included some of the more exciting bits!
The second half of this year includes cinematic delights from established auteurs like Seijun Suzuki, Francois Truffaut, Elio Petri and Hal Ashby along with releases from less-known filmmakers like Tai Kato and Fernando Arrabal. Plus we have a landmark silent, more World Noir, a Japanese horror boxset and much more!
There was also a bonus clue at the bottom of today's newsletter e-mail:
A world of announcements coming soon!
World Noir 2 next month, I guess.

What A Disgrace

#1089 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:21 am

I'm guessing SMPO is Ashby's Shampoo, then, assuming it has no UK release.

TechnicolorAcid

#1090 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:24 am

What A Disgrace wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:21 am
I'm guessing SMPO is Ashby's Shampoo, then, assuming it has no UK release.
Shampoo has a Criterion UK release so it’s not that.

Grand Wazoo

#1091 Post by Grand Wazoo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:23 am

If we're getting a Fernando Arrabal I'm guessing it would be Viva la Muerte.

Peacock

#1092 Post by Peacock » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:00 am

Grand Wazoo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:23 am
If we're getting a Fernando Arrabal I'm guessing it would be Viva la Muerte.
Wow! Here’s hoping!!!

The Ashby is surely Bound For Glory right?

Finch

#1093 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:15 am

The landmark silent might be A Page Of Madness. Or perhaps they're porting over Foolish Wives for the UK.

The Japanese horror set might mirror Criterion's old Eclipse set at least partially since two of the titles had BDs in Japan, and we know from the World Noir Vol 1 set that at least some titles from the Nikkatsu Noir Eclipse were available to Radiance. Maybe the Suzuki teased could be Take Aim At The Police Van.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1094 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:47 am

The email is giving a taste of what's in the July to December bundle. Ashby, Kato, and Truffaut may just refer to the most recent July announcements

TechnicolorAcid

#1095 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:54 am

I’m thinking the Seijun title might be Tattooed Life as I believe it doesn’t have a Blu-Ray yet and it seems perfectly aligned with Radiance’s catalogue.

beamish14

#1096 Post by beamish14 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:42 am

TechnicolorAcid wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:54 am
I’m thinking the Seijun title might be Tattooed Life as I believe it doesn’t have a Blu-Ray yet and it seems perfectly aligned with Radiance’s catalogue.

I really hope it’s A Tale of Sorrow and Sadness or Capone

dwk

#1097 Post by dwk » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:36 pm

Blu-ray.com forum seems to think that the horror set will be ghost stories as it appears that Radiance has Bride from Hades and Yotsuya Ghost Story

TechnicolorAcid

#1098 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:45 pm

I assume that based off the alleged Haunted, Haunted Castle is probably also in the set too.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1099 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:46 pm

Also, Fran is going to think we're insane for doing this.
Oh, not just him (but I'm also suitably impressed at their work)

dadaistnun

#1100 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:26 pm

I was going to bemoan the fact that A Story Written With Water is not selling well enough to make the "Availability Watch" but I see on their site that its single pressing has sold out.