Anime

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
colinr0380

#26 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:52 am

A great site I've found dealing with Anime releases is Anime On DVD. It covers all regions and there are sometimes mutliple reviews on a title.

postmodern-chuck

#27 Post by postmodern-chuck » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:03 am

Whenever I talk anime, I usually point out my narrow contention that a long majority of it is all pandering, cotton-candy, fetishistic, wide-eyed teen nonsense, navel-deep and worth about as much as the crud sticking to the bottom of my shoes. With that said, I regularly deviate from this rule when it comes to a few select works from the seventies and eighties, which I still champion as the art-form's pinnacle of merit. Granted, most U.S. companies aren't prone to catering to the old fogie crowd, but there are a few films and such I would strongly recommend:

Galaxy Express 999 / Adieu Galaxy Express 999 - A coming of age story staged as a story about a machine men, totalitarianism, space pirates, and steam engines in space. Beautiful orchestral soundtrack, universal themes, grandiose melodrama, and physics / logic defying science make these two films especially special within the anime continuum.

Arcadia of my Youth - A space melodrama from the same creators of the former film, this time contemplating on male heroism / bonding / masculinity. Again, logic is thrown out the door for visual poetics and operatic moments of outlandish eloquence, and the main character, Captain Harlock, remains as iconic as he did when this film was first released.

Night on the Galactic Railroad - Based on the book by Kenji Miyazawa, this film is, in so many words, about anthromorphic cats exploring the cosmos, contemplating existential quandaries, and meeting absurd characters. Slow, dream-like, and surreal.

Macross: Do You Remember Love? - I believe this was already mentioned, but I'll second it.

Dagger of Kamui - Cross country ninja epic with some strange, ethereal overtones, a riveting soundtrack, and action scenes that will break your face. Overstays its welcome at times, but worthwhile.

Farewell Space Battleship Yamato - Might want to familiarize yourself with the television show first. Just remember: the ending of this film is so dark, dreary, and nihilistic, it actually caused an uproar when released theatrically in Japan.

Wings of Honneamise - Again, just seconding.

Giant Robo - An operatic superhero pastiche with retro design and mechanics. Strangely alluring and moving, albeit completely ridiculous.

colinr0380

#28 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:02 am

The Studio Ghibli thread has got me thinking about other anime titles. I was wondering if anyone had any information on the Maison Ikkoku series? I heard that was quite good - I've also heard that Kimagure Orange Road might be worth checking out as well.

I've finally got to the end of the Neon Genesis Evangelion series (have yet to see the films) and was extremely impressed. I like the way the elements of constant 'baddies' popping up each episode get more and more bizarre until the mind bending last four or five episodes. It more than makes up for the strange penguin and the sometimes painfully embarassing 'fry me to the moon' end song!

I would also ask whether anyone else has been watching the Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex or Salaryman Kintaro series? I'm finding them both very impressive - the Ghost In The Shell series has even included homages to Godard and Wings of Desire!

Schkura

#29 Post by Schkura » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:52 am

Giant Robo - An operatic superhero pastiche with retro design and mechanics. Strangely alluring and moving, albeit completely ridiculous.
This has long been a guilty pleasure of mine, not only for the look which you mentioned, but the sound as well. The music was performed by the Poland National Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra and was written by Masamichi Amano. The score is a tad repetitive (though MANY of the excellent elements of this OAV are-- many episodes spend way too much time recapping episodes prior), but very sweeping and ambitious.

Who doesn't like a story about a boy and his robot?

colinr0380

#30 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:46 pm

The 1995 Hayao Miyazaki music video short, On Your Mark, has appeared on YouTube.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ranaing83

#31 Post by ranaing83 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:20 am

Those of you who saw Mind Game know what I'm talking about when I say the film represented an evolution of the anime genre. Well, it looks like Studio Studio 4°C's follow up effort, Tekkon Kinkreet, is getting a nice premiere over at the MOMA in NYC. I've been anticipating this one ever since I heard about it, and I'm really curious if the filmmakers will be able to build upon Mind Game (the two films aren't really related, I'm referring more to technique).

forweg

#32 Post by forweg » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:18 am

Here's a shitty, pompous Amazon list I made:

Anime as Art

Steven H

#33 Post by Steven H » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:22 am

No more pompous than any other list, I suppose. But it did remind me to stop hemming and hawwing about watching a couple of those serieses (Now and Then, and Planetes).

I'm a fan of some shoujo, I suppose, but I prefer the shows that push the limits of the genre. Some those types of TV series Anime that I'm a big fan of are Touch, Boys over Flowers, Twin Spica, and especially His and Her Circumstances (every now and then sliding into Brother Dear Brother and Maria-sama territory). The last one is in one of those "most watched" categories.

Not that it's an excuse, as some of this stuff is beautifully rendered and told, but I can always tell I'm going through a stressful period in my life by how much anime I watch (more anime = more stress.) Though, of course, if it's bad it doesn't help (see Peach Girl, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, etc etc). I would like to hear more about why you liked Kino's Journey. I was mostly bored (not necessarilly by the pacing, however), and though there were some nice moments, I wouldn't pick it as anything special.

forweg

#34 Post by forweg » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:15 am

I would like to hear more about why you liked Kino's Journey. I was mostly bored (not necessarilly by the pacing, however), and though there were some nice moments, I wouldn't pick it as anything special.
Well, I'm awful at expressing myself, and usually like things for completely random, unexplainable reasons. (This is why I never post.) But, ehm, I'll try...

I greatly appreciated seeing a "philosophical" anime series that concentrates on actual philosophy rather than vague symbolism or cool-sounding technobabble/psychobabble (which admittedly a few other show on that list are guilty of, like lain and Texhnolyze). The show kept to its focus without adding lots of "action" (with a couple of notable exceptions), giant robots, or unfunny comedy gags to the surface.

I also simply enjoyed the fable-like (sort of Twilight Zoneish) story each episode presents. Shows like Paranoia Agent and Kino's Journey are quite unique to the anime medium, I believe. The show does go on an episode-by-episode basis, so I was bored by a few of them myself. The Coliseum episodes stand out as a low point.

As for more, uh, mainstream shows, I'm proud to admit that I love FLCL and Chromartie High School. Insane randomness wins!

Rich Malloy

#35 Post by Rich Malloy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:41 pm

leo goldsmith wrote:
Michael Kerpan wrote: I hated FLCL -- and so did 2 of my 3 teens.
FLCL is pretty overwhelming, the most ADD-addled experience I've had without espresso. But speaking as someone who likes but is relatively disinterested in anime (and who also likes Ozu!), I thought it was astonishing. It's got an interesting story (from what I can decipher), some hilarious and eye-popping sequences, and a rockin' indie-pop soundtrack. That said, it's best taken in small doses (i.e. one 22-minute episode at a time). It's definitely recommended to any fans of anime or animation in general, as it jumps between dozens of different animation styles without warning (there's even a few seconds of South Park-style animation!).
"FLCL" was the one that finally got me into anime, and it remains the single most extraordinary animated series I've ever seen. Someone upthread mentioned that the English dub was very good - and it is - but I still prefer the Japanese even given the voluminous amount of text that often floats around (the DVD is excellent in this regard, using different colored titles to differentiate between dialog, signage, etc.). I do prefer the somewhat Zappa-ish English dub of the father, but I prefer everyone else's voices in Japanese (and generally prefer to retain the Japanese soundtrack). But this series can be watched both ways, each quite satisfying and uniquely rendered. The soundtrack and theme song are phenomenally catchy and totally appropos of the series, and every bit as wonderful as any other aspect. I believe the name of the band is The Pillows, and I'd love to know some more about them. The story is typical anime coming-of-age, but atypically told and festooned with hilariously Freudian frippary. It is also a loving parody of many traditional animes utilizing many recognizable anime styles all marbled together in an almost impossibly multivalent postmodern pastiche. Apparently, it is not for everyone.

Coming in close are the "Ghost in the Shell" films and then the series. I like the sequel "Innocence" best of all. "Lain" is also among my very favorites. If the hyper-kineticism of "FLCL" induces fatigue or seizures, switch to this highly cerebral, highly interior, gorgeously animated series, or consider "Angel's Egg", a nearly static exploration of the persistence of faith in a godless world by the same director who did Ghost in the Shell. I purchased an excellent English-subbed, er, "custom" dvd of this on eBay last year with surprisingly good, 16x9-enhanced video, better subs than on many "legit" releases, and a very tasty double-sided cover in a clear amaray case. I think I got it for $6 shipped.

akaten

#36 Post by akaten » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:34 am

Rich Malloy wrote:Coming in close are the "Ghost in the Shell" films and then the series. I like the sequel "Innocence" best of all. "Lain" is also among my very favorites. If the hyper-kineticism of "FLCL" induces fatigue or seizures, switch to this highly cerebral, highly interior, gorgeously animated series, or consider "Angel's Egg", a nearly static exploration of the persistence of faith in a godless world by the same director who did Ghost in the Shell.
Mamoru Oshii is never less than interesting from the few films I've seen (yet to see Angel's Egg) and has had a profound influence on my interest in cinema but I really thought bar a few scenes Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence was an awful film, but more importantly an awful Oshii film. The repetition of a scene with minor changes really didn't come off for me at all, and having to explain it all afterwards just proved how cinematically tripling is clumsy.

I'd be more than happy to go into it in more depth but only if there are others who want to argue otherwise, no point just mouthing off for the sake of it (as I just did above hehe) welcome to any discussion on it. :wink:

By the way did anyone buy the Patlabor 1 and Patlabor 2 box sets that were released by Bandai Visual USA/Beez Uk - talk about exhaustive booklets. Also great for seeing how influential these films were, with many future directors starting out on them (Satoshi Kon did layouts on Patlabor 2) on anime that followed, Macross Plus' lifts scenes from Patlabor 1 makes sense knowing that the director Shoji Kawamori drew mechanical designs on both films.

Mise En Scene

#37 Post by Mise En Scene » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:20 pm

Isao Takahata's Omohide Poro Poro seems to me an Ozu-ian anime. Flat-out masterpiece.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#38 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:53 pm

Mise En Scene wrote:Isao Takahata's Omohide Poro Poro seems to me an Ozu-ian anime. Flat-out masterpiece.
I agree -- with the proviso that it might be more Naruse-like -- as Naruse occasionally used flashbacks and Ozu never did. ;~}

It is a shame that this has never gotten a US release (because Disney Corp. felt mentioning menstruation was taboo in family films for Americans).

ianungstad

#39 Post by ianungstad » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:25 pm

Does anyone know if Galaxy Express 999 has ever been released on DVD or if there is news at all about a forthcoming disc? Have been waiting for a long time to see it again. Had the Signature Edition on VHS which eventually got destroyed.

#40 Post by 125100 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:08 am

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is pretty good, and available in a gorgeous Korean edition available Here & Here

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#41 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:49 am

125100 wrote:The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is pretty good, and available in a gorgeous Korean edition
Great to see that this is available with English subs at last!

Comments and screen shots (from the Japanese DVD)

#42 Post by 125100 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:01 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:Comments and screen shots (from the Japanese DVD)
Japanese DVD? Do you have a link? I haven't been able to find this on sale anywhere :(

Steven H

#43 Post by Steven H » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:20 am

125100 wrote:Japanese DVD? Do you have a link? I haven't been able to find this on sale anywhere
Its available from cdjapan.co.jp along with a limited edition which is now OOP. There's also a designated thread for the Korean disc if you want to share your thoughts.

#44 Post by 125100 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:49 am

Steven H wrote:Its available from cdjapan.co.jp along with a limited edition which is now OOP. There's also a designated thread for the Korean disc if you want to share your thoughts.
That'll teach me for not using CDJapan :roll: I actually speak Japanese so I tend to use Japanese sites, my Kanji/Hiragana are atrocious though, but it is the only way I'll learn. Saying that my English isn't up to much either... :roll:

Anyhoo, if anybody's looking for a series to get into I highly recommend Wangan Midnight. It's a bit like Initial D but much better and set on Tokyo's Highways which give it a little something special, the CGI is outta this world, and it also features a rather cool Fairlady that's possessed.

A Japanese friend of mine works for the company producing it and there are both Korean and Hong Kong DVDs coming containing english subs. There's also plans to release it in France with not only English subs but three (possibly four) soundtracks:
- The Original Japanese Soundtrack
- A French Dub
- A French Dub with new music tracks (Linkin Park etc)

Mise En Scene

#45 Post by Mise En Scene » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:05 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Mise En Scene wrote:Isao Takahata's Omohide Poro Poro seems to me an Ozu-ian anime. Flat-out masterpiece.
I agree -- with the proviso that it might be more Naruse-like -- as Naruse occasionally used flashbacks and Ozu never did. ;~}
Very true.
It is a shame that this has never gotten a US release (because Disney Corp. felt mentioning menstruation was taboo in family films for Americans).
Absolutely.

colinr0380

#46 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:10 pm

15 one minute animations for NHK - I think my favourite is Makoto Shinkai's contribution about cats planning death and destruction after having their tails continually trodden on by their careless owners!

Makoto Shinaki's latest film 5 Centimetres Per Second is probably the anime I am most wanting the chance to see at the moment!

jojo

#47 Post by jojo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:52 pm

Late to the party here, but as a fairly veteran anime fan (though I was never hardcore like some on animeondvd) I have to say that on the whole, anime has been a whole lot more impressive on TV than in theatres. I like Ghibli, but I don't like everything they do; I'm not as big on Miyazaki's post 1992 stuff as most critics are. And I find Takahata more daring than Miyazaki, but not as engaging a storyteller--there are scenes in Pom Poko and Only Yesterday that are truly great--but there are also lengthy periods in both films where they waste a significant amount of time. I could barely get through all that agricultural farming talk in Only Yesterday. The flashbacks really sing, though.

Anyway, some other stuff that might not have been listed so far--

His and Her Circumstances--From the director of Neon Genesis Evangelion, but this is a "happier" series. It's basically what happens if you put Godard and high school romance together. As you might fear, be prepared for a non-ending.

Someone here asked about Maison Ikkoku. Of course, that was two years ago that person posted, but someone has to respond.

MI is an excellent snapshot of 1980s Japan. The latter half of the series is very "Narusian" in its focus on the importance of making a decent living. Most of the characters are always one step away from poverty, despite the 1980s historically being the supposed "economic boom" of Japan. However, as a romance it can try the viewer's patience at times. Essentially, it's two people who waste 8 years of their lives not getting together because of insecurity and childishness. The payoff is rewarding, though.

Another series to try is the Twelve Kingdoms. Essentially, it mixes Chinese wuxia with some Japanese mythical sensibilities to create something resembling a fantasy version of a historical epic. Unlike most "teenage girl gets thrown into a fantasy world" series, romance is set aside for politics and court intrigue. What's interesting is that the protagonist gets by not because of "the purity of her goodness" (which is how most anime shows operate) but by her cunning and intelligence. And she also displays a surprising degree of political ruthlessness as the series progresses. The show is split into two halves, with "filler" stories in between to help flesh out its world.

I honestly haven't ever seen a fantasy-oriented TV series quite like it. The second half is almost like George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novels, at least in the way that it juggles multiple points of view and complex, interconnected political intrigue.

Darth Lavender

#48 Post by Darth Lavender » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:07 pm

A few series I can particularly recommend (might have already been mentioned)

Serial Experiments Lain - Very philosophy-oriented and increasingly surreal series about a 13 year old girl's foray into a fictionalised internet. Nice ultra-minimal animation style, too.

Texhnolyze - Made by the same people; about an immense underground dystopia, it begins purely as a 'mood' piece (the first fifteen minutes is entirely devoid of dialogue) then slowly incorporates a little more plot and philosophy. Heard it described (and I can somewhat agree) as "if David Lynch did anime"

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Considered a classic; you've probably all heard of it already.

Rozen Maiden - Not quite sure if it's 'art,' desu, or particularly intellectual, desu, but it's an awfully charming and well-written anime about a social-recluse who becomes involved with a war between some talking dolls, desu.

Death Note - A little over a third of the series is truly excellent 'battle of wits' type stuff. Then, the plot enters kind of a deliberately 'slow' state, which is well and good... But, shortly after getting out of that, there's a shocking development which leaves the rest of the series struggling to regain our interest. :? Still, highly recommended.

Gantz - Ultra violent by televised anime standards, the series has a great set-up before moving into a somewhat cliche humans vs monsters storyline. But, even then, it continues to have some interesting meditations on compassion vs sociopathy.

Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex - Excellent series that holds it's own against the Oshii movies. Slightly less philosophy (although it's still there) and more complex political plotlines. Notable for the 'Tachikomas' (not in the movies,) an example of 'cute' done right =D>

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#49 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:14 pm

"His and Her Circumstances" _should_ have been great -- but is a fiasco, taken as a whole. Flickers of glory, but ultimately a botch.

I wouldn't willingly give up a single second of the agricultural discussion in "Only Yesterday".

Lain is wonderful -- and I maintain is the most visually impressive animated series ever. But I like Haibane Renmei (also by much of the same staff) even more. IF one likes these, one should also check out the often wonderful (but somewhat erratic) Niea_7 (Niea under-7) (again by Yoshitoshi Abe and the much of the same team).

I strongly recommend the two live-action Death Note films over the animated series.

jojo

#50 Post by jojo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:13 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:"His and Her Circumstances" _should_ have been great -- but is a fiasco, taken as a whole. Flickers of glory, but ultimately a botch.
Up until episode 13 or so, the show is a great Godardian riff on the old high school romance anime. I agree the last half of the series is suspect at best, but if you choose to ignore the series because of it, you're missing something that you won't see on any other high school romance anime, probably ever. I admire it because at least it's trying to say things that most other shows of this genre don't.

I just can't get into much of Takahata's stuff. I'm not someone who lacks patience, but sometimes I think he gets more respect than Miyazaki just because he's more experimental. But I'm not sure I can qualify his works as "successful" experiments all the time. For instance, I saw a thread around here praising My Neighbours the Yamadas, and while the visual look of the film deserves points, I found it more like a rambling series of anecdotes of varying levels of amusement, rather than anything that struck me as something special. Apparently being based on a comic strip, I found myself feeling like I'd rather read the comic strips rather than watch it onscreen. And unlike KareKano, I don't feel as if what Takahata is saying is anything I'd never (or rarely) heard before.