Movie Posters

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Cinesimilitude

#26 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:28 pm

of all the posters in Matt's first link, Five Easy Nieces is my favorite. I work at a movie theater now so my poster collection should become quite large. I am going to get the double feature grindhouse one for sure.

I have a bunch of classic indiana jones and star wars posters, but most of them are reproductions of the vintage ones that I bought for really cheap as a kid.

I do have a double sided pulp fiction theatrical poster, and that one has got to be my favorite.

davebert

#27 Post by davebert » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:40 pm

Any tips on where to get 27x41 poster frames for cheap? It looks like I may have to get my Discreet Charm poster custom framed at the cost of 60 bucks... and that's about 3 times what I want to pay. There are many posters I'd love to decorate with, but the aesthetic demands accompanying frames.

Now my new Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Film for Theaters poster... that I may just stick up with pins. Sweet design choice though...

davebert

#28 Post by davebert » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:51 pm

toiletduck! wrote:I've found that if you order them directly from Poland (there's a couple of very user-friendly sites out there), you can easily save upwards of 50-75 percent. I bought my two Children posters for close to 90 percent less than what some of the higher-end American collector sites were selling them for, and they're in beautiful condition.
Any chance you could share those user-friendly sites of choice? After seeing these galleries, I be needing that Polish poster of The Birds. Polishposter.com seems to have pretty good prices, but I wonder if anyone could speak to the quality of their product/service... Oh, and they are still pretty pricey.

Cinetwist

#29 Post by Cinetwist » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:35 am

Good luck getting a Polish poster for The Birds. I've seen that one actually sell in the late hundreds. I do like that poster though.

I have to agree with toiletduck. If you don't want to be ripped off, ALWAYS buy the poster from the country of origin if possible. I got my French posters off ebay.fr and they were significantly less than what US sites valued them at. And I buy US one sheets from ebay.com It always works out cheaper, even with postage.

One thing that I've never understood is the proliferation of sites selling reproductions when you can get the real deal for the same price, or in some cases cheaper. Fair enough if you want a poster for M or a universal horror, but if it's for a film from the sixties-now, why not get something that was hung up at a cinema?

lord_clyde

#30 Post by lord_clyde » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:03 am

On the subject of movie posters (though this isn't really a poster) has anybody seen the lobby advertisement for the new fantastic four movie? It is a life size plastic sculpture of the Silver Surfer, probably the most high quality promotion item I have ever seen in a movie theater. I would kill for one.

Andre Jurieu

#31 Post by Andre Jurieu » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:32 pm

toiletduck! wrote:Some choice Polish posters:

Vertigo
As if that film wasn't disturbing enough on its own, now I'm going to have nightmares involving that Vertigo poster.

Macintosh

#32 Post by Macintosh » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:43 am

Cinetwist wrote: I buy these plastic things that you can slide them into and hang them. Partly because it's a bit odd to treat them so reverently, after all they are advertisements (no I wouldn't do this to an expensive poster) and partly because I haven't been able to find anyone who's willing to frame a French 120x160. Even if I could, it'd cost more than the poster and I like to rotate what I have up.
do you know what those plastic things are called or where i can purchase them? I'm looking for decent ways to hang my posters without damaging them.

Cinetwist

#33 Post by Cinetwist » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:24 am

Type in poster hanger on ebay. There should be several sellers selling them in their stores.

Jem

#34 Post by Jem » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:05 pm

jt

#35 Post by jt » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:34 am

I'm with the dcuk, I could look at Polish posters all day.

I'm thinking about the pair of 'The Mirror' posters herebut there's so much great stuff to choose, I want to make sure there's nothing else out there I'd prefer before dropping hundreds of dollars.

toiletduck!

#36 Post by toiletduck! » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:35 am

davebert wrote:Any chance you could share those user-friendly sites of choice? After seeing these galleries, I be needing that Polish poster of The Birds. Polishposter.com seems to have pretty good prices, but I wonder if anyone could speak to the quality of their product/service... Oh, and they are still pretty pricey.
Sorry about the delayed response...

Polishposter.com is the one site I have direct experience with and I couldn't recommend them highly enough. The three posters I received were in beautiful shape and the service was remarkable -- right down to the handwritten thank you on the packing slip.

I would order from them again in a heartbeat, davebert, have no fear.

-Toilet Dcuk

denti alligator

#37 Post by denti alligator » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:50 am

jt wrote:I'm thinking about the pair of 'The Mirror' posters herebut there's so much great stuff to choose, I want to make sure there's nothing else out there I'd prefer before dropping hundreds of dollars.
Yes, jt, that Mirror set is gorgeous! If only it weren't the most expensive poster in the collection.

jt

#38 Post by jt » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:22 am

denti alligator wrote:
jt wrote:I'm thinking about the pair of 'The Mirror' posters herebut there's so much great stuff to choose, I want to make sure there's nothing else out there I'd prefer before dropping hundreds of dollars.
Yes, jt, that Mirror set is gorgeous! If only it weren't the most expensive poster in the collection.
Yes, for that price, I could hop on a cheap flight to Warsaw, stay in a hotel for a night and still have a couple of humdred dollars left to find some cheap posters, very tempting...

Anyone on the board from Poland? Are posters considerably cheaper in local shops?

jt

#39 Post by jt » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:19 am

Damn, I should have stopped looking. Now I've found this beautyand my life will not be complete until it's on my wall.

Damn the internet, time to start saving...

davebert

#40 Post by davebert » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:13 pm

Niiice.... to bad there's no Suncoast near NYC without heading into Jersey... and that's not worth $15! :P

Matt

#41 Post by Matt » Mon May 07, 2007 12:59 pm

More movie poster PhotoShopping fun from Something Awful.

Saarijas

#42 Post by Saarijas » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:17 pm

I hate to revive an old thread, but I just got the polish movie poster for After Hours today, and just wanted to commend PolishPosters.com for their service. And state it is by far the coolest poster I have ever seen.

jon

Film Posters

#43 Post by jon » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:29 pm

Has anyone ever made their own posters with hi-res images?
Last edited by jon on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmic Bus

#44 Post by Cosmic Bus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:55 pm

It's tough to justify the prices on the Polish posters that I'm fond of -- this one for Rosemary's Baby, what I'd most like to get a hold of someday, doesn't appear to be readily available any more and seems to sell for hundreds when they've occasionally popped up for sale or auction. Too bad these Polish designs don't generally make their way to the less expensive reproduction vendors.

I did just get these two Cronenberg posters last week; the bold, colorful style is what attracted me and they make a nice contrast to the more subdued pieces I have hanging up elsewhere.

Magic Hate Ball

#45 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:39 am

Cosmic Bus wrote: this one for Rosemary's Baby, what I'd most like to get a hold of someday
This poster for the same film is hung and framed at a local record store that I frequent. It's really gorgeous and I always wish I could take it with me.

Cosmic Bus

#46 Post by Cosmic Bus » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:45 am

Yeah, that one is very nice, too. Not crazy about the "devil-baby" design they've also got, which, naturally, is the easiest to find of the three.

jon

#47 Post by jon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:54 am

i would really love an Ozu b&w poster, any news?

rohmerin

#48 Post by rohmerin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:03 am

Thank you very much for the Polish web link. I love Polish film posters, but I'll have to look on the net, because, have you seen that prizes? Oh my god, the best ones are more than 300 euros!!! and my fauvorites, Italians, are so expensive for the moment to me, that I only can pay for one. Damn poverty! #-o

Cinetwist

#49 Post by Cinetwist » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:18 pm

Yes, the Italians have the most extortionately priced posters (my favourites too for golden era Hollywood), which is a shame. They must realise just how well designed they are. Same for the Poles, although there are some affordable ones for more recent films that are still striking. Have a look on the Polish ebay, the prices are far less than dealers with their own websites, but obviously still pricey for some of the sought after stuff.

The quality to affordability ratio is best served by French posters, by far. They tend to have less cluttered contemporary posters too, which is the only way of making the modern method of using photos (instead of original art) aesthetically pleasing.

karmajuice

#50 Post by karmajuice » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:45 pm

I considered myself fortunate, that I could be interested in film without delving into its memorabilia, like movie posters. This is still true, but goddamn, those Polish posters are fantastic. I could cover my walls in them, I wouldn't need anything else. They're a bit expensive and there are too many to choose from, especially since I wouldn't limit myself to movie posters: many of the theatre, exhibition, and opera posters are just as interesting.

Some of my favorites are Au Hasard, Balthazar (so expensive), The Shop on Main Street, 8 1/2, and some non-movie posters.
The Mirror set is also great, but far out of my means.