Movie Posters

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
rohmerin

#51 Post by rohmerin » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:32 am

Next time I'll travel to Lodon, I have to visit the reelposter. Oh my God, that's paradise, but how prices! I'd like to own all.

I am a little collector of originals. I've got a few:

- Novecento, Spanish release
- Visconti's Conversation Piece, BOTH 1975 and 1983 Spanish release and re-realese
- Visconti's 1983 Spanish Fox re-release of The leopard
- The adventures of Robin Hood, Spanish re-release 1983
- Ingmar Bergman's German The serpents Egg
- Ingmar Bergman's Spanish Scenes of a marriage
- Ingmar Bergman's Spanish Fanny and Alexander
- De Sica's Belgiam The last judegement release (gorgeous)
- Pontecorvo's Checz Queimada release
- Julio Medem's Tierra (Earth), signed by Medem and actress Silke.
- Woody Allen's Spanish releases of bananas and Sleeper
NEW: Vittorio de Sica's Finzi Contini, the French release, found and bought in Avignon.

I've got the all the Spanish lobby cards set of Bergman's Autum sonata and Leone's Once upon a time the west, or Allen's Annie Hall. I've got 2 of Conversation piece, several pressbooks (including one Truffaut and all old Almodovars).

In Spain, "programas de mano" were very popular and I've got a little collection of Wilder's Leisen's, Zinemann's, Italians, etc. This is the only CHEAP option to collect original in Spain, for example, on e bay, several Gary Coopers are going to be auctioned this week
Last edited by rohmerin on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cinetwist

#52 Post by Cinetwist » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:33 am

God, I wish I had any poster for a Medem film. I've never even seen one for sale, even the few times I've looked on ebay Spain.

Another affordable option for collecting originals are the Japanese chirashi. Small flyers, basically mini-posters, often with fantastic artwork and nearly always superior artwork for new non-blockbuster fare.

I've started collecting these and can't get enough. Being so cheap, aesthetcially pleasing, well designed and storable, they're just addictive.

Street Dude

#53 Post by Street Dude » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:53 am

Cosmic Bus wrote:I did just get these two Cronenberg posters last week; the bold, colorful style is what attracted me and they make a nice contrast to the more subdued pieces I have hanging up elsewhere.
I love the Videodrome poster with Deb on it!

Fierias

#54 Post by Fierias » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:34 pm

I've recently acquired this Polish Playtime poster. A gorgeous poster for maybe my favorite film.

Matt

Re: Movie Posters

#56 Post by Matt » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:30 pm

Has anyone had a poster linen-backed before framing? Where and for how much? I've heard this is a good thing to do for folded or deteriorating posters, but I don't think anyone around me does it. One local frame shop wanted to hot-mount my original Barry Lyndon (with the gorgeous illustrations) to a piece of fomecore. Nuts to that.

Awesome Welles

#57 Post by Awesome Welles » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:27 am

That's a gorgeous poster, Matt, I am very jealous. I haven't had anything linen-backed myself as it is simply too expensive for me at the moment and the posters I own are in generally good condition. You only really want to have something linen-backed if it needs repairing or is in a fragile state. Long term it is a very good thing to do as it will keep your poster in great condition and stop it deteriorating in the frame. Also when a poster is linen-backed it looks and feels amazing. Here's some more info from a poster gallery, you might want to ask in some poster galleries or poster stores if they know anyone who does linen-backing if you can't find anyone. I think the charges vary a lot between different people but generally, in the UK, a quad poster costs about £100 to have linen-backed. Pretty pricey which is why you might just want to get it done if the poster is damaged, a friend of mine had A Bigger Splash poster which was in awful state - once linen-backed it looked amazing. When I had my Ran poster framed I had it put on an acid free backing to stop any deterioration and it looks fine, the folds are a little prominent but I plan on having those taken out with linen-backing one day.

Michael

#58 Post by Michael » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:05 am

Matt, that's a beautiful poster of Barry Lyndon. I had a poster linenbacked looking like the one below via posterfix with great success. Not cheap but its worth it depending on how much you love the poster. Hope this helps.

rumz

#59 Post by rumz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Matt wrote:Has anyone had a poster linen-backed before framing? Where and for how much?
I've had most of my posters linen-backed, courtesy International Poster Gallery. I'm not certain of the cost as it's included in the purchase price, but I suspect it amounts to around $150 or so. And yeah, *do not do not do not* dry mount your posters.

MichaelB

Re:

#60 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:01 pm

Michael wrote: The Shining (note: "The tide of terror that swept America is HERE". Wasn't The Shining released in the US and the UK at the same time?"
Just to answer this one nearly two years later: no.

In fact, if I remember rightly, there was a significant gap (certainly several months) between the US and UK release, probably at least partly connected with Kubrick chopping 25 minutes out of the film in the interim.

jfieldsstudio

#62 Post by jfieldsstudio » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:19 pm

Matt wrote:Has anyone had a poster linen-backed before framing? Where and for how much?
If you're in need of linen backing we can help in that regard, in fact we used to do the backing and restoration for Criterion when we were located in NYC. Here's our website for more information. Or my email should be in my member profile.

kaujot

#63 Post by kaujot » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:37 am

I'm looking for a good, reliable (and ships to the US!) place to buy french film posters, specifically for Those Who Love Me Can Take the Train. Anyone know a good place? I've tried Ebay.fr to no avail.

jfieldsstudio

#64 Post by jfieldsstudio » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:54 pm

kaujot wrote:I'm looking for a good, reliable (and ships to the US!) place to buy french film posters, specifically for Those Who Love Me Can Take the Train. Anyone know a good place? I've tried Ebay.fr to no avail.
Found this but I'm not sure if it's the version you want:

Ceux Qui M'aiment Prendront le Train

Last I checked they were shipping to the US.

kaujot

#65 Post by kaujot » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:55 pm

It is! Thank you so much!

Michael

#66 Post by Michael » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:38 am

kaujot, are you a fan of the Chereau film? Just curious.

kaujot

#67 Post by kaujot » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:24 am

I am very much so, though I haven't seen the film since maybe 2000 or so. I really need to break down and just by the AE (I think it's AE, anyway) edition of the film, as I hear the Kino is rather lackluster. Who would have thought a video store in Abilene, TX, would carry the film on VHS? :)

Michael

#68 Post by Michael » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:53 pm

Don't bother with the Kino disc. Its subtitles are hardly legible to read.

kaujot

#69 Post by kaujot » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:48 pm

I rarely bother with Kino discs. :(

Regardless, doesn't someone around here think it's the best film ever made? Ehrenstein, maybe? (Where did he go, anyway?). It's time for a third viewing, I think.

Awesome Welles

#70 Post by Awesome Welles » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:51 pm

I have just noticed that the BFI have started doing prints of old Academy Cinema posters with that beautiful artwork that made the cinema so distinctive even though I wasn't old enough to ever go there. And others.

Tark

#71 Post by Tark » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:31 am

Anyone have any idea where you can buy this?

Doesn't need to be an original.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#72 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:18 am

Why aren't all posters for new films this awesome

zedz

#73 Post by zedz » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:16 pm

At least they redeemed their good taste somewhat with the lame tagline.

Murdoch

#74 Post by Murdoch » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:29 pm

I have no idea what this site is, but these posters are gorgeous and for only two dollars? I know they're only "mini" posters, but I'd love to pick up a bunch and just cover a wall. Anybody know anything about them?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#75 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:46 pm

They pop up on eBay from time to time. They're small, more like handbills than posters. You'd need several hundred to cover a wall