Movie Posters

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Murdoch

Re: Movie Posters

#76 Post by Murdoch » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:25 pm

Covering a wall was dumb fantasizing on my part. After looking at the dimensions it doesn't seem worth it, although I think I'll pay the $4 for the movie program of Godard's Passion. =P~

Cosmic Bus

#77 Post by Cosmic Bus » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:35 am

Joanna Gorska and Jerzy Skakun of homework have done a series of Jodorowsky posters:

Image Image Image

Along with an interesting assortment of others: Closely Watched Trains, Annie Hall, Metropolis

Image Image Image

TMDaines

#78 Post by TMDaines » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:38 am

That Metropolis one is awsome.

Matt

#79 Post by Matt » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:15 pm

Even though they continue the Weinstein's de-gaying campaign for this film, these are some beautifully designed posters.

Image Image

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#80 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:59 pm

The 2nd one looks like it could be for the jazzed-up sequel to A Serious Man.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#81 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:06 pm

That first one's been hanging up at the local art house theatre and I only just now realized that wasn't Aaron Eckhart

Cinetwist

#82 Post by Cinetwist » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:33 pm

Murdoch wrote:I have no idea what this site is, but these posters are gorgeous and for only two dollars? I know they're only "mini" posters, but I'd love to pick up a bunch and just cover a wall. Anybody know anything about them?
They're chirashi; Japanese mini-flyers given away for free in cinema lobbys. Usually the same artwork as featured on full size B1/2 movie posters and highly collectable despite being free, due to the fact that their size makes them 'cute' and easy to display and store; as most Japanese apartments in cities are very small.

Most sites that sell them to westerners sell the modern chaff that you couldn't give away in Japan but that site is the best pricewise. Avoid ebay like the plague, hideously overpriced. Some people find the text offputting but they can (and usually do) feature exclusive, indigenously made artwork that beats the pants of the western version. It's easy to get hold of nice modern stuff, but living outside of Japan, it is impossible to get older stuff.

fiddlesticks

#83 Post by fiddlesticks » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:38 am

I was immediately smitten with the chirashi at that site (jmshop.net) and ordered a bunch of them. They arrived today, quite sturdily packaged and without so much as a nicked corner. I had them laminated and more or less threw them up on my wall among my other poster reproductions. I thought you might like to know what they look like. They're about 7" x 10" (18cm x 25cm). As you can see, it wouldn't take "several hundred" to cover a wall; they show up quite nicely, I think. I am very satisfied.
Image Image
EDIT: In case it's not immediately clear, the posters for My Man Godfrey, This Gun for Hire, The Iron Horse, and Tokyo Story (left to right) are not chirashi; all the others are.
Last edited by fiddlesticks on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murdoch

#84 Post by Murdoch » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:03 am

Oh, wow. Thanks for posting that! I'm definitely going to pick up a few - have since only picked up the Passion program.

snack

#85 Post by snack » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:23 am

so I have the sudden urge to pull down all the garbage on my dorm-room walls and put up a huge blown-up print of karina in vivre sa vie (probably the passion of joan of arc still). doesn't have to be high quality in the least. any ideas on how to go about doing this?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#86 Post by domino harvey » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:24 pm

Get thee to a Rasturbator

"membrillo"
Location: San Diego, California / Tijuana, Baja California Norte

#87 Post by "membrillo" » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:38 pm

snack wrote:so I have the sudden urge to pull down all the garbage on my dorm-room walls and put up a huge blown-up print of karina in vivre sa vie (probably the passion of joan of arc still). doesn't have to be high quality in the least. any ideas on how to go about doing this?
Depends on what you mean by "huge" and how much you want to spend.

I've done this with a few stills. You can find some high quality stills online if you do an image search. (Use various search engines and change you filters to Large Images)

Last still I did was 45" by 60" and it cost me $230 to get the image blown up and printed. They also did the scaling to improve the image quality. Most commercial printers can do this for you.

The expensive part is the framing.

hidaniel

#88 Post by hidaniel » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:13 am

On topic but a non-sequitur, was anyone else bothered by the Clouzot's posters for The Murderer Lives at Number 21 and Le Corbeau hanging in Shosanna Dreyfus' theatre in Inglourious Basterds? If Clouzot was perceived as anti-French by that time why would she hang his posters?! It just doesn't make sense to me.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#89 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:17 pm

hidaniel wrote:On topic but a non-sequitur, was anyone else bothered by the Clouzot's posters for The Murderer Lives at Number 21 and Le Corbeau hanging in Shosanna Dreyfus' theatre in Inglourious Basterds? If Clouzot was perceived as anti-French by that time why would she hang his posters?! It just doesn't make sense to me.
Yeah, and what's up with Hitler dying at the end? That's not how things happened! :wink:

Cinetwist

#90 Post by Cinetwist » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:23 am

hidaniel wrote:On topic but a non-sequitur, was anyone else bothered by the Clouzot's posters for The Murderer Lives at Number 21 and Le Corbeau hanging in Shosanna Dreyfus' theatre in Inglourious Basterds? If Clouzot was perceived as anti-French by that time why would she hang his posters?! It just doesn't make sense to me.
I was annoyed by every single film history aspect, but like The Dandy says, it's not exactly a film striving for realism.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#92 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:16 pm

Hard Candy is the first one that came to mind for me too

Antlion

Re:

#93 Post by Antlion » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:04 pm

Via_Chicago wrote:Le Silence de la Mer
Is this poster available anywhere at all? A reproduction perhaps?

rohmerin

#94 Post by rohmerin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:52 am

Finally I'm travelling to Poland \:D/ so, please, people from Varsaw, Krakow or Breslau / Wrocław , where can I find good DVD stores in the centre of those cities?

I die for buying one or two gorgeous Polish film posters, but not surfing internet, I am decadent and I love to spend all my time in real stores. Any recommendable place to find them?

I'm looking for expensive vintage clothes (sorry for the off topic), so, any information is highly needed. BTW: I'll be in Amsterdam too and I've got the same interests about shopping in Les Pays Bas. :-"

Muchas gracias.

admira

#95 Post by admira » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:08 pm

multivitamin

#96 Post by multivitamin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:49 pm

totally obsessed with this men now. just staggering !!

dx23

#97 Post by dx23 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Found this blog that shows how generic or cliche movie posters have become. This could easily go into the Worst Covers thread.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#98 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:09 pm

Forrest Taft

#99 Post by Forrest Taft » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:54 am

Oh yeah. The film is pretty good, too. The poster was designed by Pushwagner. A documentary on Pushwagner recently played in Norwegian theaters, but I unfortunately missed it. Here is the excellent trailer, with a nice look at his design for the poster you shared, among other things.

rohmerin

#100 Post by rohmerin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:11 am